Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I think they took the time aspect into consideration, but in terms of how everything flowed, it was better to have the police station scene cut into the main bank sequence. If they would have placed the police station scene right before the heist (possibly after the diner scene, where Neil recruits Breedan as the driver), you would never really get the feeling that they'd even have a chance to walk out alive. At least it creates some suspense when they cross cut it in between the bank sequence.
Going back to my original point, I wish they would have just changed that one line in the beginning (when Cheritto picks up Waingro) where Waingro says something like, "Trejo tells me you run a tight crew," instead of just "real tight crew huh?" At least it would have given some explanation on why Trejo was the one who snitched on them.

BTW, just saw Rain Man for the first time today. Incredible performances by both Hoffman and Cruise. Loved the ending.

'Drive' is amazing; definitely lived up to the hype.

Oh and add Dead Snow to the horror movie list. It's a fun zombie movie from Norway.

'Drive' is amazing; definitely lived up to the hype.

Oh and add Dead Snow to the horror movie list. It's a fun zombie movie from Norway.

So, I saw Drive last night...
post from the other thread

If you haven't seen Drive, stay away from the redband trailer. Stay the %$%$ away from the trailer. I saw it a couple months ago, had that Bart Scott face and didn't wanna see anymore til I saw the movie. I just watched the trailer again and it's the entire %@%+@%$ movie. Everything. They show flashes of every kill, every twist, every revelation, everything.

Movies I love that Drive reminds me of:
Spoiler [+]
The Transporter ...
nerd.gif

Leon: The Professional ... from the scene at the market where he sees Irene and the kid, some of the way he's with with the them, to his relationship with Cranston.

True Romance ... this IS a love song to True Romance...isn't it? From the scene in the motel with ******* (she don't get a name for the 11 1/2 seconds she was there) to that overwhelming soundtrack. I mean Perlman played a poor man's Christopher Walken, right?

Badlands ... which actually True Romance borrowed some (many) things from. The scene at the drainage channel creek, skipping rocks. That open, heartful, personal style. That 'why would you ever wanna leave this moment' feel that the movie has early on.

My boy called it that this reminded him of GTA: Vice City completely. Yup.
smokin.gif

HEAT ... this is Heat if they had less to say and more to feel. This is Val Kilmer after he gets away. This is DeNiro and Judging Amy chick. I remember Michael Mann saying once, his movies run a little cold at heart, because he's not a sentimentalist. Well this is sentimental as %$%$, but has that same cold streak when it gets down to it.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly ... I mean...he's the Man with No Name. Trade that cigarette in for the toothpick and he's there. You don't know who he is or where he's from, just that he's made of something other people aren't, that he only says as much as he needs to, and that his pokerface is bulletproof.

No Country for Old Men ... like ToddCorbo said, he's a mix of the two leads. He's got those sociopathic, bloodlust flashes of Chigurh, the street smarts of both and the naive heart of Moss. And something about that ending reminded me of this.

Grindhouse: Death Proof ... Stuntman Mike, you already know. From him on the movie set, to the pawn shop chase, to the scene after the 'mask'. When he was at the racetrack, I thought they were teasing to something great (and probably too common for a movie like this).

Collateral ... That whole opening getaway reminded me of this. That cold precision. That lack of fear. That skill and adaptability. The planning it took.

A History of Violence ... love this movie. This and True Romance are, to me, the closest movies I can think of in spirit to Drive. They're the same character, years removed from one another. He stills knows all these things, more than the guy he works for knows. He's got this demon buried inside, always ready and willing, but in control. Maybe things happened that made him need to run away, become someone mostly different and learn to stay away from his triggers (5 minutes in and out/I only drive). Oh and the violence...the violence.
30t6p3b.gif
smokin.gif

Breaking Bad ... not why you think. Gus. The first thing I thought about when Albert Brooks showed us who he we were %@%+@%$ with was Gus, through and through.

Watchmen ... reaching a little, but somewhere between that powerful style, great individual acting and...leading lady that leaves you pretty cold.

The Fast and the Furious ...
grin.gif

Frank Ocean - Swim Good. If you know, then you know.
smokin.gif
Things I liked a lot about the movie:
Spoiler [+]
--The trailers before this>>>most of the movies I saw in theaters this year.
tired.gif

--The opening...if that didn't do it for you, Abduction comes out Friday, bye.

--The soundtrack...sometimes this movie will just have you hypnotized. That synth score probably getting a few spins over here.

--Albert Brooks...killed it. He stole this movie from Gosling. He stole every scene he was in and made Hellboy look lightweight.

--Bryan Cranston...makes me feel better about life after Breaking Bad ends. He made a lot out of not much and was perfect.

--Ryan Gosling...disappeared into this sociopath, this Driver.

--The chases...are brilliant. It's that pure first person feel. You really feel like you're behind the wheel, like I can't remember a movie pulling off. My only complaint is that there are only 2 chase scenes (one at the very beginning)...those 3 or 4 cruising scenes were beautiful, but c'mon.

--The mask...
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

--The scorpion jacket...
pimp.gif

--Standard...the name, the man, the myth, 'Deluxe'...dude brought so much energy and tension to the film

--The motel and the glove...the noise when he pointed at her.
smokin.gif

--The lackey...
eyes.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif
sick.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
sick.gif

--The kid grew on me quick. That's little homie.

--The elevator scene was absolutely perfect.

--The bullet and the hammer almost was too.

--The Scorpion and the Frog ... is where the movie becomes something to chew on. The story, a fairytale about the scorpion that asks the frog for a ride over the pond. The frog says...well you better not sting me or we're both doomed. The scorpion agrees, but halfway over stings him anyways. They both go down and the frog asks, 'why?' The scorpion says, "because I'm a scorpion; it's in my nature. Better we both should die, than my enemy to live." That's it, that's Gosling. They didn't understand what he was or that he was the scorpion.
My biggest problem with the movie is all of the films it reminds me of. That signature moment never really happens in the movie. I can deal with most of the restraint, but sometimes, it just felt like the style was muting the substance. Like we'd only get a taste of what the movie was capable of. There were scenes that needed to pop, dialogue that needed a sharper edge (especially from Hellboy). I mean the mask...all that buildup, all that suspense, all the anticipation of this classic, signature 'this is why I go to the movies' scene happening with it and that's what we get?

Maybe it's a matter of perspective...I get that we see through the Driver's eyes and he can get over the shocking or intense things that happen around or because of him like it's nothing. But we can't and sometimes you just want to follow a saner person or have someone (alive) there too, that you can relate to through some of the more intense stuff. A room full of strippers who don't  talk or move doesn't count. Maybe that's just me being simple.
laugh.gif

Things I didn't like too much about the movie:
Spoiler [+]
--Carey Mulligan ... me, the idiot, a little while after Drive, kicks back and finally watches Blue Valentine...and I see something that I really wish was in Drive. Admittedly, the way the Driver's written doesn't give much to grab onto, but there's so much chemistry between Michelle Williams and Gosling, that I wish it was her in this movie instead of Carey. True Romance had Patricia Arquette, Leon had Natalie Portman, A History of Violence had Maria Bello, Badlands had Sissy Spacek, Heat had Ashley Judd and that chick from Judging Amy...but this. This had Carey Mulligan. Don't get me wrong, she does a good enough job. But the most compelling thing about her character, for me, was that she had a baby by Standard...that's it. There's so little substance and chemistry to whatever's between them. Enough that I don't even think it's her he cares about, just the kid and the idea of having a family. And there's something in her staying, for the most part oblivious to the action and tension. Even the scene where she sees the Devil inside of him, it just never really connects. I don't really care if she almost won an Oscar, she's kinda forgettable in such an important part of the film.

--Christina Hendricks...girl, why you tease me so bad? This is the cinematic blueballs of the the year.

--The strippers in the strip club scene...I mean
grin.gif
... but it just got weird when they were motionless to the violence.

--Ron Perlman...he works well off of Brooks, but for what's needed, he had to be a lot more. I mean, he was supposed to be the Avon Barksdale.
30t6p3b.gif

--The Driver. I get it...you're the Man with No Name, but that's fine when you're passing through. It's ok when everyone's already in motion and you fall into the mess, but when you've lived there for years? When you obviously have a past waiting to get brought up? I understand openness and simplicity and the chance that anything could happen. Badlands had that, but they managed to give, something. I get it, but it's not the 70s or 80s anymore. If you're gonna keep so much about him off the table, then you've gotta push it onto everyone around him, and I don't think what we got about the 3 other guys was enough.
I still don't know how I feel about how Hellboy got got. They built up the mask, so damn much, but then nothing. That's all he needed it for? Magically he's following dude to a party and that's where the mask comes in? If there's deeper meaning behind it...is it that he puts it on the only time he kills in cold blood? The whole movie, he only fights, he only kills in self-defense. Everything he tries to do is follow the path of the righteous man. Even when he flies close to the crime, he wants to stay willfully ignorant about it and keep his hands pretty clean. For the big one he has to have no face, whether it's to protect Irene and the kid or to protect the person he wants to be from the person he is. Maybe both.

It's bad that after all this typing, I'm still not sure of how much I even like this movie. I know I couldn't recommend it to most of my friends, but I'm probably gonna see any movie Refn makes in theaters from now on. It's a movie that's born to set off that inner ADD in you, if you let it. It's allergic to distractions and details and that's like 3/4 of every movie today anyways. I want to love it, but there's just those few things standing in the way. I just know I need to see this again.

Cliffs: I liked the car chases, the music, the violence, the style, Albert Brooks, Bryan Cranston, Standard and Ryan Gosling. Wasn't much for Ron Perlman, Carey Mulligan, the 8 seconds Christina Hendricks was there or the ending.

If you haven't seen Drive, stay away from the redband trailer. Stay the %$%$ away from the trailer. I saw it a couple months ago, had that Bart Scott face and didn't wanna see anymore til I saw the movie. I just watched the trailer again and it's the entire %@%+@%$ movie. Everything. They show flashes of every kill, every twist, every revelation, everything.

Movies I love that Drive reminds me of:
Spoiler [+]
The Transporter ...
nerd.gif

Leon: The Professional ... from the scene at the market where he sees Irene and the kid, some of the way he's with with the them, to his relationship with Cranston.

True Romance ... this IS a love song to True Romance...isn't it? From the scene in the motel with ******* (she don't get a name for the 11 1/2 seconds she was there) to that overwhelming soundtrack. I mean Perlman played a poor man's Christopher Walken, right?

Badlands ... which actually True Romance borrowed some (many) things from. The scene at the drainage channel creek, skipping rocks. That open, heartful, personal style. That 'why would you ever wanna leave this moment' feel that the movie has early on.

My boy called it that this reminded him of GTA: Vice City completely. Yup.
smokin.gif

HEAT ... this is Heat if they had less to say and more to feel. This is Val Kilmer after he gets away. This is DeNiro and Judging Amy chick. I remember Michael Mann saying once, his movies run a little cold at heart, because he's not a sentimentalist. Well this is sentimental as %$%$, but has that same cold streak when it gets down to it.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly ... I mean...he's the Man with No Name. Trade that cigarette in for the toothpick and he's there. You don't know who he is or where he's from, just that he's made of something other people aren't, that he only says as much as he needs to, and that his pokerface is bulletproof.

No Country for Old Men ... like ToddCorbo said, he's a mix of the two leads. He's got those sociopathic, bloodlust flashes of Chigurh, the street smarts of both and the naive heart of Moss. And something about that ending reminded me of this.

Grindhouse: Death Proof ... Stuntman Mike, you already know. From him on the movie set, to the pawn shop chase, to the scene after the 'mask'. When he was at the racetrack, I thought they were teasing to something great (and probably too common for a movie like this).

Collateral ... That whole opening getaway reminded me of this. That cold precision. That lack of fear. That skill and adaptability. The planning it took.

A History of Violence ... love this movie. This and True Romance are, to me, the closest movies I can think of in spirit to Drive. They're the same character, years removed from one another. He stills knows all these things, more than the guy he works for knows. He's got this demon buried inside, always ready and willing, but in control. Maybe things happened that made him need to run away, become someone mostly different and learn to stay away from his triggers (5 minutes in and out/I only drive). Oh and the violence...the violence.
30t6p3b.gif
smokin.gif

Breaking Bad ... not why you think. Gus. The first thing I thought about when Albert Brooks showed us who he we were %@%+@%$ with was Gus, through and through.

Watchmen ... reaching a little, but somewhere between that powerful style, great individual acting and...leading lady that leaves you pretty cold.

The Fast and the Furious ...
grin.gif

Frank Ocean - Swim Good. If you know, then you know.
smokin.gif
Things I liked a lot about the movie:
Spoiler [+]
--The trailers before this>>>most of the movies I saw in theaters this year.
tired.gif

--The opening...if that didn't do it for you, Abduction comes out Friday, bye.

--The soundtrack...sometimes this movie will just have you hypnotized. That synth score probably getting a few spins over here.

--Albert Brooks...killed it. He stole this movie from Gosling. He stole every scene he was in and made Hellboy look lightweight.

--Bryan Cranston...makes me feel better about life after Breaking Bad ends. He made a lot out of not much and was perfect.

--Ryan Gosling...disappeared into this sociopath, this Driver.

--The chases...are brilliant. It's that pure first person feel. You really feel like you're behind the wheel, like I can't remember a movie pulling off. My only complaint is that there are only 2 chase scenes (one at the very beginning)...those 3 or 4 cruising scenes were beautiful, but c'mon.

--The mask...
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

--The scorpion jacket...
pimp.gif

--Standard...the name, the man, the myth, 'Deluxe'...dude brought so much energy and tension to the film

--The motel and the glove...the noise when he pointed at her.
smokin.gif

--The lackey...
eyes.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif
sick.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
sick.gif

--The kid grew on me quick. That's little homie.

--The elevator scene was absolutely perfect.

--The bullet and the hammer almost was too.

--The Scorpion and the Frog ... is where the movie becomes something to chew on. The story, a fairytale about the scorpion that asks the frog for a ride over the pond. The frog says...well you better not sting me or we're both doomed. The scorpion agrees, but halfway over stings him anyways. They both go down and the frog asks, 'why?' The scorpion says, "because I'm a scorpion; it's in my nature. Better we both should die, than my enemy to live." That's it, that's Gosling. They didn't understand what he was or that he was the scorpion.
My biggest problem with the movie is all of the films it reminds me of. That signature moment never really happens in the movie. I can deal with most of the restraint, but sometimes, it just felt like the style was muting the substance. Like we'd only get a taste of what the movie was capable of. There were scenes that needed to pop, dialogue that needed a sharper edge (especially from Hellboy). I mean the mask...all that buildup, all that suspense, all the anticipation of this classic, signature 'this is why I go to the movies' scene happening with it and that's what we get?

Maybe it's a matter of perspective...I get that we see through the Driver's eyes and he can get over the shocking or intense things that happen around or because of him like it's nothing. But we can't and sometimes you just want to follow a saner person or have someone (alive) there too, that you can relate to through some of the more intense stuff. A room full of strippers who don't  talk or move doesn't count. Maybe that's just me being simple.
laugh.gif

Things I didn't like too much about the movie:
Spoiler [+]
--Carey Mulligan ... me, the idiot, a little while after Drive, kicks back and finally watches Blue Valentine...and I see something that I really wish was in Drive. Admittedly, the way the Driver's written doesn't give much to grab onto, but there's so much chemistry between Michelle Williams and Gosling, that I wish it was her in this movie instead of Carey. True Romance had Patricia Arquette, Leon had Natalie Portman, A History of Violence had Maria Bello, Badlands had Sissy Spacek, Heat had Ashley Judd and that chick from Judging Amy...but this. This had Carey Mulligan. Don't get me wrong, she does a good enough job. But the most compelling thing about her character, for me, was that she had a baby by Standard...that's it. There's so little substance and chemistry to whatever's between them. Enough that I don't even think it's her he cares about, just the kid and the idea of having a family. And there's something in her staying, for the most part oblivious to the action and tension. Even the scene where she sees the Devil inside of him, it just never really connects. I don't really care if she almost won an Oscar, she's kinda forgettable in such an important part of the film.

--Christina Hendricks...girl, why you tease me so bad? This is the cinematic blueballs of the the year.

--The strippers in the strip club scene...I mean
grin.gif
... but it just got weird when they were motionless to the violence.

--Ron Perlman...he works well off of Brooks, but for what's needed, he had to be a lot more. I mean, he was supposed to be the Avon Barksdale.
30t6p3b.gif

--The Driver. I get it...you're the Man with No Name, but that's fine when you're passing through. It's ok when everyone's already in motion and you fall into the mess, but when you've lived there for years? When you obviously have a past waiting to get brought up? I understand openness and simplicity and the chance that anything could happen. Badlands had that, but they managed to give, something. I get it, but it's not the 70s or 80s anymore. If you're gonna keep so much about him off the table, then you've gotta push it onto everyone around him, and I don't think what we got about the 3 other guys was enough.
I still don't know how I feel about how Hellboy got got. They built up the mask, so damn much, but then nothing. That's all he needed it for? Magically he's following dude to a party and that's where the mask comes in? If there's deeper meaning behind it...is it that he puts it on the only time he kills in cold blood? The whole movie, he only fights, he only kills in self-defense. Everything he tries to do is follow the path of the righteous man. Even when he flies close to the crime, he wants to stay willfully ignorant about it and keep his hands pretty clean. For the big one he has to have no face, whether it's to protect Irene and the kid or to protect the person he wants to be from the person he is. Maybe both.

It's bad that after all this typing, I'm still not sure of how much I even like this movie. I know I couldn't recommend it to most of my friends, but I'm probably gonna see any movie Refn makes in theaters from now on. It's a movie that's born to set off that inner ADD in you, if you let it. It's allergic to distractions and details and that's like 3/4 of every movie today anyways. I want to love it, but there's just those few things standing in the way. I just know I need to see this again.

Cliffs: I liked the car chases, the music, the violence, the style, Albert Brooks, Bryan Cranston, Standard and Ryan Gosling. Wasn't much for Ron Perlman, Carey Mulligan, the 8 seconds Christina Hendricks was there or the ending.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

*spoilers*

I agree with the Ron Pearlman part you wrote. I really wish there was more to his demise than what we saw. That being Gosling walking towards him then nothing. For being the main villain, he was supposed to have a big sendoff scene. Instead we're treated to a shot of the ocean. Oh well.

I liked Mulligan though. Her character seemed to want to have a blissful ignorance about the Driver, thinking he was everything Standard wasnt. That seems to keep their chemistry held back, but I thought they were good at playing off each other. Especially in the hallway during Standard's welcome home party. And the elevator scene, I think Mulligan's character was supposed to be in shock, as I imagine anyone would be following someone's head being turned to mush 2 feet away from them. Between the confusion of what just happened and love of Gosling, nothing was supposed to connect in that scene. Just give her a hint to the bigger picture of the Driver.

*/spoilers*

I'm liking the movie more and more every day as it sinks in. I already want to see it again
laugh.gif

*spoilers*

I agree with the Ron Pearlman part you wrote. I really wish there was more to his demise than what we saw. That being Gosling walking towards him then nothing. For being the main villain, he was supposed to have a big sendoff scene. Instead we're treated to a shot of the ocean. Oh well.

I liked Mulligan though. Her character seemed to want to have a blissful ignorance about the Driver, thinking he was everything Standard wasnt. That seems to keep their chemistry held back, but I thought they were good at playing off each other. Especially in the hallway during Standard's welcome home party. And the elevator scene, I think Mulligan's character was supposed to be in shock, as I imagine anyone would be following someone's head being turned to mush 2 feet away from them. Between the confusion of what just happened and love of Gosling, nothing was supposed to connect in that scene. Just give her a hint to the bigger picture of the Driver.

*/spoilers*

I'm liking the movie more and more every day as it sinks in. I already want to see it again
laugh.gif

I caught X-Men: First Class last night on pay-per-view. I agree with the good marks it got from people in this thread earlier in the summer. Kept me entertained throughout. Also, I don't know much about X-Men mythology outside of the previous films, so I enjoyed seeing the back story for some of the main players. I never realized before this movie that the reason Magneto rocks that helmet is to keep Professor X out of his mind. I thought that was kind of cool. Anyway, I look forward to the next film in this segment of the X-Men filmography.

I caught X-Men: First Class last night on pay-per-view. I agree with the good marks it got from people in this thread earlier in the summer. Kept me entertained throughout. Also, I don't know much about X-Men mythology outside of the previous films, so I enjoyed seeing the back story for some of the main players. I never realized before this movie that the reason Magneto rocks that helmet is to keep Professor X out of his mind. I thought that was kind of cool. Anyway, I look forward to the next film in this segment of the X-Men filmography.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the sequel to First Class, there's a lot of good options for them to explore.

I know what you're saying Noskey, even a few hours after I saw the movie I realized I liked it more and more. I'll probably go see it again sometime this week.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the sequel to First Class, there's a lot of good options for them to explore.

I know what you're saying Noskey, even a few hours after I saw the movie I realized I liked it more and more. I'll probably go see it again sometime this week.

Originally Posted by Noskey

*spoilers*

*/spoilers*

laugh.gif
*spoilers for Drive, History of Violence and Leon: the Professional*

I remember really not liking chick in Wall Street 2 and thinking, well this is just about the same person, except she smanged Standard when she was young. I just feel like, she could've taken over this movie. Most of that tension was supposed to be...damn...if he can't find a way she and that kid are dead. The kid, I felt for, but with her it was like...for most of the movie, I'm like well I guess that'd suck, but yo Driver...bout time to cut your losses, right?
grin.gif

Maybe some of that was me still being hurt that Christina Hendricks got done like that.
laugh.gif
I knew she was in it and figured, when she finally showed up that OK, Carey's got Standard, so Christina's gonna be Driver's chick? Then the next 5 minutes went
embarassed.gif
grin.gif
smokin.gif
eek.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
mad.gif
tired.gif

I just remember what Patricia Arquette meant to True Romance. I remember how after everything that happened in A History of Violence, I wasn't thinking...thank God Viggo lived. I was thinking...ok...his family's safe...but jeez...how does he go home and look them in the face now? With Drive's ending, I was just like...really? That's it? That's too artistic for your own good, ain't it? I was never thinking, well, if he doesn't make it at least she's safe, like with Portman in Leon. Hell, I never felt like she was really in danger. She never had that scene where she earned her place in the movie.

*end spoilers*

I need to see this again, knowing now where they were going with her character. Sound like some dudes caught feelings.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Noskey

*spoilers*

*/spoilers*

laugh.gif
*spoilers for Drive, History of Violence and Leon: the Professional*

I remember really not liking chick in Wall Street 2 and thinking, well this is just about the same person, except she smanged Standard when she was young. I just feel like, she could've taken over this movie. Most of that tension was supposed to be...damn...if he can't find a way she and that kid are dead. The kid, I felt for, but with her it was like...for most of the movie, I'm like well I guess that'd suck, but yo Driver...bout time to cut your losses, right?
grin.gif

Maybe some of that was me still being hurt that Christina Hendricks got done like that.
laugh.gif
I knew she was in it and figured, when she finally showed up that OK, Carey's got Standard, so Christina's gonna be Driver's chick? Then the next 5 minutes went
embarassed.gif
grin.gif
smokin.gif
eek.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
mad.gif
tired.gif

I just remember what Patricia Arquette meant to True Romance. I remember how after everything that happened in A History of Violence, I wasn't thinking...thank God Viggo lived. I was thinking...ok...his family's safe...but jeez...how does he go home and look them in the face now? With Drive's ending, I was just like...really? That's it? That's too artistic for your own good, ain't it? I was never thinking, well, if he doesn't make it at least she's safe, like with Portman in Leon. Hell, I never felt like she was really in danger. She never had that scene where she earned her place in the movie.

*end spoilers*

I need to see this again, knowing now where they were going with her character. Sound like some dudes caught feelings.
laugh.gif

I surprisingly was not a fan of Drive... which is offsetting for me because I love Gosling (add it to my list CP, thanks).

Felt too artistic and it was really attempting to be something it wasn't. Kept waiting for them to explain WHY Gosling was not the slightest bit outgoing, why he was like he was, but they never explained that, at all. The beginning was awesome, but it was all down hill from there. Thought Mulligan was a %++!% when her response to him saying "I was about to call the cops" was "I wish you had". %%#@ you, your husband just got out of prison and from all signs was a outstanding guy. Blah.

4/10

I hate looking at Ron Perlman.

I surprisingly was not a fan of Drive... which is offsetting for me because I love Gosling (add it to my list CP, thanks).

Felt too artistic and it was really attempting to be something it wasn't. Kept waiting for them to explain WHY Gosling was not the slightest bit outgoing, why he was like he was, but they never explained that, at all. The beginning was awesome, but it was all down hill from there. Thought Mulligan was a %++!% when her response to him saying "I was about to call the cops" was "I wish you had". %%#@ you, your husband just got out of prison and from all signs was a outstanding guy. Blah.

4/10

I hate looking at Ron Perlman.

I keep forgetting, you could add these to my list CP

Sucker Punch
Bridesmaids

Bad Teacher

Harry Potter 7 1/2

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Attack the Block

Drive

and uh...
eek.gif
Tree of Life is out
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

I keep forgetting, you could add these to my list CP

Sucker Punch
Bridesmaids

Bad Teacher

Harry Potter 7 1/2

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Attack the Block

Drive

and uh...
eek.gif
Tree of Life is out
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
I felt the same about Hendricks. I was thinking "NOOOOOO!" when the guy slid up next to the window
laugh.gif
tired.gif

But I still dont agree about Mulligan. I think you were expecting too much out of a role player. It's like expecting Jason Terry to take over a game. We know he can, and sometimes he does, but he's not the one whose supposed to in his role. That's Dirk, aka the Driver, who's the main draw to the movie and the one we're supposed to be caring for as an audience. We're also supposed to care about Irene, but not to the same extent. Know what I mean? And I dont know how you didnt feel she was ever in danger; the mob had a man waiting for her in an elevator. If Gosling wasn't there, she's dead. That's when Gosling decided to take things into his own hands and speed up the process of ending the war and going after Pearlman/Brooks. To keep her out of anymore danger.

Maybe the movie spent too much time developing the relationships and giving us brief glimpses into Gosling's character (without ever revealing any more than he's an introverted sociopath with a possibly spotty past), so the chance to develop the danger for everyone else didnt pan out as well as it could have. I swear, if the movie were 30 minutes longer, threw in one more attempt on Irene's life, and showed us the deaths of Pearlman and Brooks in more detail, no one would have anything bad to say.
Originally Posted by JPZx

Only part I thought was too artistic was the stabbing scene between Gosling and Brooks. Would have been nice to see more than the shadows. And Mulligan's character was falling for Gosling because she saw the opposite of her husband, who she was obviously only with because of their kid.

Also, the soundtrack was phenomenal.
Spoiler [+]

and uh...
eek.gif
Tree of Life is out
nerd.gif
pimp.gif
Yes. Yes it is
pimp.gif
Never got to catch in theaters, so this was a pleasant surprise to see earlier.

laugh.gif
I felt the same about Hendricks. I was thinking "NOOOOOO!" when the guy slid up next to the window
laugh.gif
tired.gif

But I still dont agree about Mulligan. I think you were expecting too much out of a role player. It's like expecting Jason Terry to take over a game. We know he can, and sometimes he does, but he's not the one whose supposed to in his role. That's Dirk, aka the Driver, who's the main draw to the movie and the one we're supposed to be caring for as an audience. We're also supposed to care about Irene, but not to the same extent. Know what I mean? And I dont know how you didnt feel she was ever in danger; the mob had a man waiting for her in an elevator. If Gosling wasn't there, she's dead. That's when Gosling decided to take things into his own hands and speed up the process of ending the war and going after Pearlman/Brooks. To keep her out of anymore danger.

Maybe the movie spent too much time developing the relationships and giving us brief glimpses into Gosling's character (without ever revealing any more than he's an introverted sociopath with a possibly spotty past), so the chance to develop the danger for everyone else didnt pan out as well as it could have. I swear, if the movie were 30 minutes longer, threw in one more attempt on Irene's life, and showed us the deaths of Pearlman and Brooks in more detail, no one would have anything bad to say.
Originally Posted by JPZx

Only part I thought was too artistic was the stabbing scene between Gosling and Brooks. Would have been nice to see more than the shadows. And Mulligan's character was falling for Gosling because she saw the opposite of her husband, who she was obviously only with because of their kid.

Also, the soundtrack was phenomenal.
Spoiler [+]

and uh...
eek.gif
Tree of Life is out
nerd.gif
pimp.gif
Yes. Yes it is
pimp.gif
Never got to catch in theaters, so this was a pleasant surprise to see earlier.

Man, I never thought Drive would get such in depth reviews. I think I'm going to update the table ofcontents with: The Ryan Gosling Transporter reboot earns many words, pages etc etc.
laugh.gif
I'll update the watch list in the AM.

Man, I never thought Drive would get such in depth reviews. I think I'm going to update the table ofcontents with: The Ryan Gosling Transporter reboot earns many words, pages etc etc.
laugh.gif
I'll update the watch list in the AM.

Back
Top Bottom