Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

cutler_marshall.jpg

Two years ago this month, horror comedy Zombieland burst into movie theaters and instantly became one of 2009's biggest sleeper hits, eventually taking in more than $100 million at the worldwide box office. There was instantly talk of a sequel that might even be filmed in 3-D, but so far, Columbia Pictures has yet to greenlight a follow-up (even with The Walking Dead continuing to demonstrate Americans' love for all things gross and deceased). Now, Vulture hears the sequel might actually not happen at all, but for a reason that might make fans happy: A half-hour TV version of Zombieland is in the works with original writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick onboard. Specifically, we hear talks are well under way with Fox Broadcasting and Columbia's sister unit, Sony Pictures Television, to put the zom-com into development for the 2012-13 season. If it happens, it will actually be sort of fitting.

As Zombieland producer (and new Vulture columnist) Gavin Polone noted when we called him up to confirm this news, "The original plan for this was to make it as a TV show." Indeed, CBS actually ordered a pilot script for the concept all the way back in 2005, "but they did what networks do, which is to take all the good stuff out." CBS ultimately passed and Syfy was interested, but couldn't make things work financially, Polone says. Ultimately this was good news, of course, since the movie was a blockbuster and helped further the careers of stars Jesse Eisenberg and Emma Stone, as well as director Ruben Fleischer (now helming the Ryan Gosling/Sean Penn drama Gangster Squad). There was serious work on a film sequel, but Polone says that's now likely on hold: "If the TV show goes, then the sequel won't happen."

One good reason to think a series version of Zombieland could be killer is the fact that the writers have been working on story ideas for a show for years now. As Reese told MTV News last year, "We always thought [it should be a TV series]. If you watch the movie with that in mind, you will see some remnants of the television show. We have the 'Zombie Kill of the Week,' which was always intended to happen every week. The movie ends on a cliffhanger; it doesn't have a real resolution." Polone says the main leads, obviously, won't be part of the series. But maybe since the project is headed to Fox, Zooey Deschanel could do a cameo as a zombie Jess?

Bittersweet.

Two years ago this month, horror comedy Zombieland burst into movie theaters and instantly became one of 2009's biggest sleeper hits, eventually taking in more than $100 million at the worldwide box office. There was instantly talk of a sequel that might even be filmed in 3-D, but so far, Columbia Pictures has yet to greenlight a follow-up (even with The Walking Dead continuing to demonstrate Americans' love for all things gross and deceased). Now, Vulture hears the sequel might actually not happen at all, but for a reason that might make fans happy: A half-hour TV version of Zombieland is in the works with original writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick onboard. Specifically, we hear talks are well under way with Fox Broadcasting and Columbia's sister unit, Sony Pictures Television, to put the zom-com into development for the 2012-13 season. If it happens, it will actually be sort of fitting.

As Zombieland producer (and new Vulture columnist) Gavin Polone noted when we called him up to confirm this news, "The original plan for this was to make it as a TV show." Indeed, CBS actually ordered a pilot script for the concept all the way back in 2005, "but they did what networks do, which is to take all the good stuff out." CBS ultimately passed and Syfy was interested, but couldn't make things work financially, Polone says. Ultimately this was good news, of course, since the movie was a blockbuster and helped further the careers of stars Jesse Eisenberg and Emma Stone, as well as director Ruben Fleischer (now helming the Ryan Gosling/Sean Penn drama Gangster Squad). There was serious work on a film sequel, but Polone says that's now likely on hold: "If the TV show goes, then the sequel won't happen."

One good reason to think a series version of Zombieland could be killer is the fact that the writers have been working on story ideas for a show for years now. As Reese told MTV News last year, "We always thought [it should be a TV series]. If you watch the movie with that in mind, you will see some remnants of the television show. We have the 'Zombie Kill of the Week,' which was always intended to happen every week. The movie ends on a cliffhanger; it doesn't have a real resolution." Polone says the main leads, obviously, won't be part of the series. But maybe since the project is headed to Fox, Zooey Deschanel could do a cameo as a zombie Jess?

Bittersweet.

Just bitter. A network zombie show? A CBS zombie show? -__-

Yea...4 days...damn.

So I heard they liked ScarJo for Dragon Tattoo, but decided her ******* were too big.
grin.gif

And Transformers 4&5 with Jason Statham...on the one
indifferent.gif
stop it 5.... on the other
smokin.gif
upgrayedd

Just bitter. A network zombie show? A CBS zombie show? -__-

Yea...4 days...damn.

So I heard they liked ScarJo for Dragon Tattoo, but decided her ******* were too big.
grin.gif

indifferent.gif
smokin.gif
upgrayedd

Same writers, at least. And the movie wasn't absurdly gory or anything to the point that it would compromise a show on Fox.

But I was looking forward to the sequel. Love that movie.

Same writers, at least. And the movie wasn't absurdly gory or anything to the point that it would compromise a show on Fox.

But I was looking forward to the sequel. Love that movie.

I think they drew a parallel between Dexter and Tooth Fairy at the end of the episode CP when Dexter dropped his slides.

At the end, the Tooth Fairy's life became meaningless because he couldn't do what he loved anymore (at least at a high level). Dexter dropping his slides and them becoming disorganized and him being unable to determine which slide goes where and who they belong to kind of nullifies all of Dexter's work.

BTW for someone as meticulous and organized as Dexter you'd think he would've labeled his slides somehow in case this something like this happened.

And I'm not a fan of Zombieland becoming a TV series. The Walking Dead pretty much has the zombie TV series market covered and I seriously doubt the cast of the movie would be involved with the show and it doesn't work without them imo.

I think they drew a parallel between Dexter and Tooth Fairy at the end of the episode CP when Dexter dropped his slides.

At the end, the Tooth Fairy's life became meaningless because he couldn't do what he loved anymore (at least at a high level). Dexter dropping his slides and them becoming disorganized and him being unable to determine which slide goes where and who they belong to kind of nullifies all of Dexter's work.

BTW for someone as meticulous and organized as Dexter you'd think he would've labeled his slides somehow in case this something like this happened.

And I'm not a fan of Zombieland becoming a TV series. The Walking Dead pretty much has the zombie TV series market covered and I seriously doubt the cast of the movie would be involved with the show and it doesn't work without them imo.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

grin.gif
grin.gif

indifferent.gif
smokin.gif
upgrayedd
Damn, Scarlett in Dragon would have worked out well.......

You readin an old rumor on that Statham Transformers stuff, or what are you seeing? 

grin.gif
grin.gif

indifferent.gif
smokin.gif
upgrayedd

You readin an old rumor on that Statham Transformers stuff, or what are you seeing? 

I'm 1/2 through the 2nd season of Breaking Bad. Definitely living up to the hype.

Lost & The Wire are my two favorites shows of recent years, seems like this will slide into a top 3 with them at this rate.

I'm 1/2 through the 2nd season of Breaking Bad. Definitely living up to the hype.

Lost & The Wire are my two favorites shows of recent years, seems like this will slide into a top 3 with them at this rate.

^nope fits perfect
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

grin.gif
grin.gif

indifferent.gif
smokin.gif
upgrayedd

tired.gif
It's like...I seen the og and I get why she's too hot for this here...but film lost
30t6p3b.gif

They just put it out that they're gonna shoot 4&5 at the same time. Statham still up in the air.

^nope fits perfect
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

grin.gif
grin.gif

indifferent.gif
smokin.gif
upgrayedd

tired.gif
It's like...I seen the og and I get why she's too hot for this here...but film lost
30t6p3b.gif

They just put it out that they're gonna shoot 4&5 at the same time. Statham still up in the air.

Kev:
Four days of inactivity? 
30t6p3b.gif

I was gonna mention on Saturday that I had just watched Boys Don't Cry for like the billionth time, but I'm always hesitant to share what I'm watching because I know I have much different taste in movies than a majority of you dudes.
laugh.gif

I freaking love that movie, man, as is the case most times I'm put onto a movie of someone's real life struggle that FORCES you to have an emotion one way or another on what you've seen.

Latest $5 Walmart pickup: The Rainmaker
smokin.gif
 Damn near did a backflip when I saw it. Rondo is quickly replacing Kidd as my favorite player in the league, but I've been riding with Kidd for some time. By the same measure, DiCaprio is climbing his way up my 'favorite actor' chart, but it was definitely Damon for a strong minute. Good Will Hunting, the Bourne trilogy, Rounders, The Rainmaker, the Oceans movies, Invictus, Private Ryan... that's been my dude for a while, and The Rainmaker was one of those movies I forgot that I don't have.
laugh.gif

I just pretend Stuck On You never happened.
30t6p3b.gif

Never seen Mr. Ripley, or Inside Job. Opinions?

Never seen his most recent two, either, Contagion and Adjustment Bureau, but I've heard bad things.
ohwell.gif

Also just saw Zombieland Saturday, too.

That joint is STUPID funny.
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Kev:
Four days of inactivity? 
30t6p3b.gif

I was gonna mention on Saturday that I had just watched Boys Don't Cry for like the billionth time, but I'm always hesitant to share what I'm watching because I know I have much different taste in movies than a majority of you dudes.
laugh.gif

I freaking love that movie, man, as is the case most times I'm put onto a movie of someone's real life struggle that FORCES you to have an emotion one way or another on what you've seen.

Latest $5 Walmart pickup: The Rainmaker
smokin.gif
 Damn near did a backflip when I saw it. Rondo is quickly replacing Kidd as my favorite player in the league, but I've been riding with Kidd for some time. By the same measure, DiCaprio is climbing his way up my 'favorite actor' chart, but it was definitely Damon for a strong minute. Good Will Hunting, the Bourne trilogy, Rounders, The Rainmaker, the Oceans movies, Invictus, Private Ryan... that's been my dude for a while, and The Rainmaker was one of those movies I forgot that I don't have.
laugh.gif

I just pretend Stuck On You never happened.
30t6p3b.gif

Never seen Mr. Ripley, or Inside Job. Opinions?

Never seen his most recent two, either, Contagion and Adjustment Bureau, but I've heard bad things.
ohwell.gif

Also just saw Zombieland Saturday, too.

That joint is STUPID funny.
laugh.gif
roll.gif

I barely remember Ripley, but I hate Jude Law.  Contagion is pointless for Damon, he does little, Bureau was solid, I watched a crappy copy though so it was less great for me, but he was fine and the story was different. 

Stuck on you.  What the hell happened to the Farrelly brothers?  They went way south after such a promising start. 
ohwell.gif
  Me Myself and Irene almost killed me it was so funny, Mary was great, do I even need to bring up Kingpin?  Seems like Shallow Hal was went they started going to much message on me instead of just simple good humor.  Stuck on You falls under that umbrella. 

I barely remember Ripley, but I hate Jude Law.  Contagion is pointless for Damon, he does little, Bureau was solid, I watched a crappy copy though so it was less great for me, but he was fine and the story was different. 

Stuck on you.  What the hell happened to the Farrelly brothers?  They went way south after such a promising start. 
ohwell.gif
  Me Myself and Irene almost killed me it was so funny, Mary was great, do I even need to bring up Kingpin?  Seems like Shallow Hal was went they started going to much message on me instead of just simple good humor.  Stuck on You falls under that umbrella. 

I think Talented Mr. Ripley is worth a watch. Interesting story and good acting. Definitely a different role for Damon in that movie, but he does a great job. There are a lot of other good performances in the movie as well. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is good (as usual) in a small part. Its not something I'd watch over and over, but I think it should be a must watch for any big Matt Damon fan.

And, yes, I agree that the Farrelley brother fell off big time. When I saw Mary in the theater for the first time, its probably the hardest I've ever heard a movie audience laugh. I thought Hall Pass was better than some of their other more recent work, but still nowhere near as good as the earlier stuff.

I think Talented Mr. Ripley is worth a watch. Interesting story and good acting. Definitely a different role for Damon in that movie, but he does a great job. There are a lot of other good performances in the movie as well. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is good (as usual) in a small part. Its not something I'd watch over and over, but I think it should be a must watch for any big Matt Damon fan.

And, yes, I agree that the Farrelley brother fell off big time. When I saw Mary in the theater for the first time, its probably the hardest I've ever heard a movie audience laugh. I thought Hall Pass was better than some of their other more recent work, but still nowhere near as good as the earlier stuff.

If you liked Catch Me If You Can, you'd like The Talented Mr. Ripley. The only difference being, however, Damon plays a lonely-psychotic serial killer.

If you liked Catch Me If You Can, you'd like The Talented Mr. Ripley. The only difference being, however, Damon plays a lonely-psychotic serial killer.

Back
Top Bottom