Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

I saw margin call very good, not quite as goo as to Too Big to fail for those interested in financial disaster flicks.
Been wanting to check that out since I saw the director's interview on CNBC.

Just watched Leaves of Grass starring Ed Norton. Pretty good film. It's about two twins (both played by Norton) that are polar opposites: one's a philosophy teacher, other a weed grower, that encounter some issues. Covers a couple of really good themes, nothing crazy or super existential, but I would recommend giving it a viewing.

Watched some IFC last night and was reminded of how good  Zodiac by David Fincher is....if there is anyone left who haven't seen it you absolutely should do so. It is one of my favorite movies of all time and rewatchable factor is off the charts.

zodiac_xl_01-film-b.jpg

Also the two books by Robert Graysmith are no joke; that entire case is unbelievable.

Watched some IFC last night and was reminded of how good  Zodiac by David Fincher is....if there is anyone left who haven't seen it you absolutely should do so. It is one of my favorite movies of all time and rewatchable factor is off the charts.

zodiac_xl_01-film-b.jpg

Also the two books by Robert Graysmith are no joke; that entire case is unbelievable.

Got around to watching, Beats Rhymes & Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest and Hangover II. Beats was a solid documentary but nothing that appealing. I definitely recommend it to any Tribe, Hip-Hop or music person, but for someone who has little to no interest in those areas, it's a mildly recommended. 7/10.
Hangover II had several funny moments, but relied to heavily on the previous script and didn't provide anything better. 6/10.

In Time comes out this week along with The Rum Diary and I am going to watch both on Friday. I just pray that In Time is at least somewhat in the ballpark as Gattaca.

Got around to watching, Beats Rhymes & Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest and Hangover II. Beats was a solid documentary but nothing that appealing. I definitely recommend it to any Tribe, Hip-Hop or music person, but for someone who has little to no interest in those areas, it's a mildly recommended. 7/10.
Hangover II had several funny moments, but relied to heavily on the previous script and didn't provide anything better. 6/10.

In Time comes out this week along with The Rum Diary and I am going to watch both on Friday. I just pray that In Time is at least somewhat in the ballpark as Gattaca.

I just watched The Way Back, it came out in January, starring Jim Sturgess, Ed Harris, Mark Strong, Colin Farrell, Saoirse Ronnan, about POW's that escape from a gulag and trek 4,000 miles to India. It's supposedly based on a true story, but recently stories have come out that it's not true or there are holes. Regardless it's a great movie, and continues to prove why Saoirse Ronan is the top young female actress in Hollywood.

I just watched The Way Back, it came out in January, starring Jim Sturgess, Ed Harris, Mark Strong, Colin Farrell, Saoirse Ronnan, about POW's that escape from a gulag and trek 4,000 miles to India. It's supposedly based on a true story, but recently stories have come out that it's not true or there are holes. Regardless it's a great movie, and continues to prove why Saoirse Ronan is the top young female actress in Hollywood.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Real Steel tops the box office for a second consecutive week.

Go, Hollywood.

CP1708 wrote:
Real Steal was given an A- review by Entertainment Weekly too. Prime also said it was pretty good. He hates everything, I just don't get it.

I saw Real Steal the other day, not in theaters, but it was awful. Dakota Goyo, the little kid, is a TERRIBLE  actor, he is just annoying. It was predictable, and sappy, Anthony Mackie wasted his time here, nothing positive about the film, a bunch of garbage.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Real Steel tops the box office for a second consecutive week.

Go, Hollywood.

CP1708 wrote:
Real Steal was given an A- review by Entertainment Weekly too. Prime also said it was pretty good. He hates everything, I just don't get it.

I saw Real Steal the other day, not in theaters, but it was awful. Dakota Goyo, the little kid, is a TERRIBLE  actor, he is just annoying. It was predictable, and sappy, Anthony Mackie wasted his time here, nothing positive about the film, a bunch of garbage.

Completely agree with all of that, Ry.

Been looking forward to The Rum Diary for a long time now. I have a feeling it will end up disappointing me, though.
I also have Into the Wild right now, get to that this week too, will speak on it when I do. 
pimp.gif

Completely agree with all of that, Ry.

Been looking forward to The Rum Diary for a long time now. I have a feeling it will end up disappointing me, though.
I also have Into the Wild right now, get to that this week too, will speak on it when I do. 
pimp.gif

I finally got around to Lords of Dogtown this weekend.  I have been wanting to get thru some of Heath's stuff, but this was different than I thought.  I thought he was going to be one of the main skaters, he was more of the father type figure in this one.  Either way, his acting was top shelf.  Emile Hirsh was the one that stood out to me the most in this one, no surprise I guess.  I also have Into the Wild right now, get to that this week too, will speak on it when I do. 

Down the final 3 episodes of Sopranos before I get into Breaking Bad.  Just saw what happened to Christopher. 
30t6p3b.gif
  I was not happy with that choice at all.  I disagree with that big time.  I'll wrap up the series in the next day or two, then speak on it a little better.  Not really sure I can add anything though that hasn't already been discussed elsewhere, but maybe I'll come up with something. 

Ry, I did like Zodiac, I watched it right around the time that kid came out and said he found some of his dad's stuff and it appeared to be Zodiac related.  Not sure if that ever turned out to be true or not.  I remember when the movie came out, RDJ still wasn't back all the way yet was he?  This was one of his first roles on his way back I think.  Still, he was really good. As was Jake. 

I finally got around to Lords of Dogtown this weekend.  I have been wanting to get thru some of Heath's stuff, but this was different than I thought.  I thought he was going to be one of the main skaters, he was more of the father type figure in this one.  Either way, his acting was top shelf.  Emile Hirsh was the one that stood out to me the most in this one, no surprise I guess.  I also have Into the Wild right now, get to that this week too, will speak on it when I do. 

Down the final 3 episodes of Sopranos before I get into Breaking Bad.  Just saw what happened to Christopher. 
30t6p3b.gif
  I was not happy with that choice at all.  I disagree with that big time.  I'll wrap up the series in the next day or two, then speak on it a little better.  Not really sure I can add anything though that hasn't already been discussed elsewhere, but maybe I'll come up with something. 

Ry, I did like Zodiac, I watched it right around the time that kid came out and said he found some of his dad's stuff and it appeared to be Zodiac related.  Not sure if that ever turned out to be true or not.  I remember when the movie came out, RDJ still wasn't back all the way yet was he?  This was one of his first roles on his way back I think.  Still, he was really good. As was Jake. 

Even though I like Depp and Hunter S. Thompson, I'm seeing the Rum Diary because of Amber Heard... I'll probably check out In Time as well.

Even though I like Depp and Hunter S. Thompson, I'm seeing the Rum Diary because of Amber Heard... I'll probably check out In Time as well.

^
J, you happy so far with what Dexter is giving us in season 6?  I'm loving it, although as you have said, not seeing much progression in terms of where Dex is headed. 

^
J, you happy so far with what Dexter is giving us in season 6?  I'm loving it, although as you have said, not seeing much progression in terms of where Dex is headed. 

Caught up on week's 2 and 3 last night, haven't seen the most recent episode, though. I like Mos and Dexter a lot, addressing his spirituality with Mos' redemption story is a good move. Deb and Quinn ending will hopefully be good to give her a new role and conflict in the show and I'm hoping Quinn or someone gets aware of Dexter (but if they're just going to ignore it/wrap it up by season's end don't bother). Haven't enjoyed Olmos or Hanks so far, but hoping that changes soon. I'm lowering my expectations in the sense that Dexter clearly isn't doing what I want it to do, and just accept that. It's too successful to end next season so until there's an end date made official, it should continue on as it is, and there's no sense in being annoyed each week if the show isn't doing what I know it won't do at this point.

I like the season overall for Mos and the redemption/spirituality angle, Deb's new role, Dex worrying about how much his son is learning from him, and I'm generally disinterested in the villains this season but I hope that changes soon.

Caught up on week's 2 and 3 last night, haven't seen the most recent episode, though. I like Mos and Dexter a lot, addressing his spirituality with Mos' redemption story is a good move. Deb and Quinn ending will hopefully be good to give her a new role and conflict in the show and I'm hoping Quinn or someone gets aware of Dexter (but if they're just going to ignore it/wrap it up by season's end don't bother). Haven't enjoyed Olmos or Hanks so far, but hoping that changes soon. I'm lowering my expectations in the sense that Dexter clearly isn't doing what I want it to do, and just accept that. It's too successful to end next season so until there's an end date made official, it should continue on as it is, and there's no sense in being annoyed each week if the show isn't doing what I know it won't do at this point.

I like the season overall for Mos and the redemption/spirituality angle, Deb's new role, Dex worrying about how much his son is learning from him, and I'm generally disinterested in the villains this season but I hope that changes soon.

Ep 4 will get you to enjoying the duo a bit more. May have been one the best 10 minute stretches in the shows history.

Ep 4 will get you to enjoying the duo a bit more. May have been one the best 10 minute stretches in the shows history.

Originally Posted by CP1708

The documentary is about 1,000 better than the movie, although that's only if you enjoyed the skateboarding subject matter.

After watching Dogtown and Z-Boys, the next logical documentary is Rising Son: The Legend of Skateboarder Christian Hosoi. It does not disappoint.

Originally Posted by CP1708

The documentary is about 1,000 better than the movie, although that's only if you enjoyed the skateboarding subject matter.

After watching Dogtown and Z-Boys, the next logical documentary is Rising Son: The Legend of Skateboarder Christian Hosoi. It does not disappoint.

Back
Top Bottom