Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Funny you post this.
If you haven't seen the 1st ever Netflix Original starring Steve Van Zandt as a former Gangster relocated to Norway under Protective Custody, then you are missing out.
Probably the best hidden Gem on the Netflix line.
I was sad they ended it but Steve Van Z plays Guitar for Bruce Sprinstein and his World tour was conflicting with Scheduling, so he chose the Tour.
I hope they bring it back, show was so dope.
Lilyhammer.

Maybe I'm slightly confused but are they saying Infinity War and A Quiet Place should be contenders for Oscars simply because they're popular?

Recently watched:
First Reformed (2017), I really enjoyed this movie. An extremely interesting look at religion fitting into modern day conscience. Much more accessible than something like Mother!

North By Northwest (1959), I liked it, but I liked Vertigo a lot more. I'm also probably not the best judge given those are the only two Hitchcock's I've seen :lol:

Repo Man (1984), pretty entertaining. The premise is wacky but it was a fun movie.

Possession (1981), not sure I even understood this movie. Lol. My guy from Jurassic Park was in it but the whole story for me was extremely weird and hard to follow.

Chef is such a great feel good movie... I could watch that movie every time it's on.

The biggest problem is not enough Bobby Cannavale and Scar Jo.

Maybe I'm slightly confused but are they saying Infinity War and A Quiet Place should be contenders for Oscars simply because they're popular?
Well Oscar's for most popular movie so yeah

Funny you post this.
If you haven't seen the 1st ever Netflix Original starring Steve Van Zandt as a former Gangster relocated to Norway under Protective Custody, then you are missing out.
Probably the best hidden Gem on the Netflix line.
I was sad they ended it but Steve Van Z plays Guitar for Bruce Sprinstein and his World tour was conflicting with Scheduling, so he chose the Tour.
I hope they bring it back, show was so dope.
Lilyhammer.

Yeah i know about Lilyhammer. I'll eventually get to it, but the backlog is deeeep right now and I'm not helping things by rewatching shows like The Sopranos :lol: :smh:

watched deadpool 2. r-rated lego movie. still pretty good. if they dial back the humor just a little, i’d probably enjoy it more - the joking is relentless and can feel forced at times. overall, i enjoyed it. 6.2/8

ready player one was ok imo. the nostalgia pretty fun but the story was mediocre as was the acting. cgi was good.

Well Oscar's for most popular movie so yeah

What a horrible idea. Depending on how it's done in terms of "popularity" something like The Emoji Movie could be nominated :lol:

Using Infinity War and A Quiet Place as examples don't help the argument for me because although they're both entertaining neither are that great.

But I don't watch the Oscar's so maybe my perception is skewed but I feel like more "artistic" movies deserve nomination, popularity is just junk food.

It's a populist category to have now for the deplorable era... :lol: Not surprised Disney (ABC) is behind the push for this new category. Not sure how I feel about it. Not wanting it kinda feels elitist but it seems like a moronic category to just suddenly create. It’s literally a made for TV category.

Haven't watch Benjamin Button in years & caught the last 2/3 of it. Heartbreaking when Pitt shows up at his momma's house as a 9 yr old & then starts regressing to a baby. The scene's of Blanchett caring for the man she loved was so sad right through the final scene of when the baby dies in her arms. I remember a while ago there was a convo about her looks. She was gorgeous in this movie.

Separately, got tix for Crazy Rich Asians for next weekend. Gotta rep... Representation & inclusion is real. Is it true this is the first all Asian cast for a major American movie since Joy Luck Club!??!?! Got dayum. That's sad if true. That was a phenomenal movie BTW... My wife isn't even Asian but she quotes it all the time... "Best quality" is one of her favorite things to say about anything good... :lol:

Last edited:
This dude is only looking at it one way.

Just cuz its popular doesnt mean it was one of the best pictures of the year.

I don't think I'm even a fan of this. Popular category is why we have the MTV movie & tv awards.

Agreed. The Oscars categories seem to be more about awarding the Mona Lisa’s of paintings, not the painting of a Tiger with knives for claws and guns for teeth jumping through a ring of fire just because it got a bunch of likes on Facebook.

And agreed, that’s what the MTV movie awards are for. People loved Princess Diaries 2. Doesn’t need an Oscar statue for most popular movie of 2004.

Did anyone catch Black Klansman yet? I should be going to a morning matinee soon.
I wanted to see it Saturday but my wife wants to see it & can't Saturday. She & my mother inlaw are taking a bus trip to NYC with a bunch of friends & relatives for the day to see a relative in the Donna Summer Musical. She has a sizeable role & was also in the stage version of A Bronx Tale. She met DeNiro & Chaz on several occasions.

Will most likely see it Sunday sometime. Gotta rep for Spike to especially with this flick... I chuckle every time I see the trailer or the commercial when Zel's son says, "white".... :lol:

Been on the documentary tip the last few weeks.

Born Strong
The White Helmets
Icarus
The Rachel Divide

I don't feel like rating them but they were all well done.
If you like docs, I highly recommend 13th on netflix & The House I Live In.

Also loved Won't You Be My Neighbor & I Am Not Your Negro. These 2 are my favorite docs of the year especially since Fred Rogers & James Baldwin helped define & shape my life early on.

Been recording the 6 pt docu series Rest In Power: The Trayvon Martin Story on BET & Paramount TV.

Just finished it and Pitch Perfect 3 < 2 < OG.

I didn’t realise before that it actually was the Packers in the underground riff-off.

edit: i saw the < as > :lol: . my bad. its friday.

Last edited:
I'm in for Yardie... Actually geeked to see it. Soundtrack will defiantely be copped. I wish Idris got Don Letts to do the soundtrack. This era of London is right up his alley.

Also geeked at the possibility of Idris being the next Bond... This rumor has circulated alot over the years but Antoine Fuqua just let it out that Barbara Broccoli whose family has held the rights to Bond films for decades, said that it's time for an "ethnic" Bond during a recent event they both attended. Would loooooove to see this happen for Idris.

Just missed Antman and the Wasp and enjoyed it.

To be fair I’d watch anything with Evangeline Lilly in it though...

No Reservations (2007), corny mid 2000s romcom. Only watched it because my current girlfriend isn't into movies like that and I really like food so we compromised.

WR: Mysteries of an Organism (1971), pretty crazy movie to say the least. Sort of half documentary half movie.

Young Guns (1988 ), I used to watch this movie often growing up. I still love it. Not too many western that I really enjoy but this is one of them for sure.

BlacKkKlansman 7.8/8

This was brilliant. Easily jumped in to the top 3 of Spike joints.

Spike really should've been doing this. Get a great writer to pen his movies and he'd be good. What he adds just makes the film greats.

Props to Jordan Peele. He really got the juice now.

They filled this with so many hints and nods to other ****; the homey who played Dr. Dre playing Kawme Toure with the **** the police, managed a Clay Davis sheeeiiiit, America 1st, electing a racist like Trump, alluding to the LBQT struggle, Holocaust deniers, Harry Belafonte, etc. Just went on and on.

That wild Jewish conspiracy :rofl:

Spike even had his guy who does his musical scores normally revert to form in the final scene :lol: :pimp:

Everybody performed well in this. To start this off with Alec Baldwin's racist character. Gotta say I was worried one way but they balanced humor and drama/tragedy expertly.

Should I be aiming to see Sorry to Bother You or BlacKkKlansman first? I'm personally leaning towards S.t.B.Y. because it'll be out of theaters quicker.

p8504_p_v8_af.jpg

220px-Pow_the_escape_poster.jpg

SMH :lol:

5/8 Just came back from taking my son to see Equalizer 2. This should’ve been so much more but it was a halfway interesting summer action flick. Kinda sad to see Susan get tossed around like that. I really like Pedro Pascal. Really glad to see him getting lots of roles but damn, hate seeing him as bad guy constantly.

My 14 yr old wants to see White Boy Rick. :lol: Saw the trailer for it before EQ2... gonna take him to see it when it drops...

Back
Top Bottom