One Question: Is Ray Allen a HOF'er?

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

Definitely
he-got-game.jpg

Ray Allen and Reggie Miller never played at a HOF level at any point in their careers, but they'll make it to the Hall for lifetime achievement.

It's hard to argue that either was ever one of the top 10 players in the league at any point during their careers.

Ray Allen made the NBA 2nd team a single time (2004-05) but only because Kobe was snubbed (28-6-6 with a better FG%). Ray Allen's only other All-NBA selection was 3rd team in 2000-01. So he was only one of the Top 15 active players for 2 years. That doesn't scream HOF to me.

Same with Reggie Miller. His 3 All-NBA selections are all 3rd teams (1994-95, 1995-96, 1997-98).

Derrick Coleman was named to mulitple All-NBA 3rd teams, so it's hard to say the 3rd team represents a HOF level of play. That means you can only argue for Ray Allen and Reggie Miller on the basis of lifetime achievement.

I'm not in favor of letting guys in the HOF of any sport just because they were able to play at a "Hall of Very Good" level long enough to pile up significant career totals (lifetime achievement). In my mind, an HOF'er should be a player that (1) at some point in his career reaches a HOF-level of play [meaning he's one of the 6-8 best players in the league at the time], (2) sustains that level of play for a few seasons, and (3) has a career of some longevity [at least 8 years - more for baseball, less for football].

Ray Allen and Reggie Miller will get in, but they don't really deserve it.

Ray Allen and Reggie Miller never played at a HOF level at any point in their careers, but they'll make it to the Hall for lifetime achievement.

It's hard to argue that either was ever one of the top 10 players in the league at any point during their careers.

Ray Allen made the NBA 2nd team a single time (2004-05) but only because Kobe was snubbed (28-6-6 with a better FG%). Ray Allen's only other All-NBA selection was 3rd team in 2000-01. So he was only one of the Top 15 active players for 2 years. That doesn't scream HOF to me.

Same with Reggie Miller. His 3 All-NBA selections are all 3rd teams (1994-95, 1995-96, 1997-98).

Derrick Coleman was named to mulitple All-NBA 3rd teams, so it's hard to say the 3rd team represents a HOF level of play. That means you can only argue for Ray Allen and Reggie Miller on the basis of lifetime achievement.

I'm not in favor of letting guys in the HOF of any sport just because they were able to play at a "Hall of Very Good" level long enough to pile up significant career totals (lifetime achievement). In my mind, an HOF'er should be a player that (1) at some point in his career reaches a HOF-level of play [meaning he's one of the 6-8 best players in the league at the time], (2) sustains that level of play for a few seasons, and (3) has a career of some longevity [at least 8 years - more for baseball, less for football].

I agree with Juan Baller. Reggie and Ray were never HOF players IMO and Paul Pierce shouldn't get in either. Gary Payton needs to be inducted! All NBA 1st team twice, Defensive player of the year, & selected to All NBA 1st team defense 9 times!

I agree with Juan Baller. Reggie and Ray were never HOF players IMO and Paul Pierce shouldn't get in either. Gary Payton needs to be inducted! All NBA 1st team twice, Defensive player of the year, & selected to All NBA 1st team defense 9 times!

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

Good points. This was why I even started the thread to be honest. Because I'm a huge Ray Allen fan but I just never thought he played at a HOF'er level despite the 3 point record.

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

Good points. This was why I even started the thread to be honest. Because I'm a huge Ray Allen fan but I just never thought he played at a HOF'er level despite the 3 point record.

Originally Posted by dmncn lew

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Pierce shouldn't get in either? What a joke, revoke your sports & training pass.

Pierce was a top player for many years, averaging 25/26 a game in those years, carrying a talentless team with bums like Tony Battie and Walter McCarty deep into the playoffs, winning a ring and Finals MVP, another Finals trip, and 20,000 points already. Paul Pierce absolutely deserves a HOF induction.

Originally Posted by dmncn lew

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Pierce shouldn't get in either? What a joke, revoke your sports & training pass.

Pierce was a top player for many years, averaging 25/26 a game in those years, carrying a talentless team with bums like Tony Battie and Walter McCarty deep into the playoffs, winning a ring and Finals MVP, another Finals trip, and 20,000 points already. Paul Pierce absolutely deserves a HOF induction.

Back
Top Bottom