Paris 2024 Summer Olympics Thread: I think we’ve reached peak art

Peacock is so dope for the Olympics. Every sport covered live. You can just bounce around to random stuff. Time for Australia-Spain basketball.

Peacock is so dope / You can just bounce around to random stuff.
screenshot_20240721-133402__01-jpg.3276881

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240721-133402__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20240721-133402__01.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 423
Best site for swimming stuff this week, they’ll do individual session pages:

They also have a swimswamlive Twitter account:

i see that point with those being the big 3 most popular sports during Olympics but I guess they said flagbearers are actually voted among all the athletes of team USA so i guess Lebron and Coco were chosen by their peers for this

Ain’t a big thing obviously

Also not sure if certain athletes were there or there for the whole thing given swimming started today and dressel and ledecky both gotta swim twice already (dressel having prelims and finals of the 4 x 100 free relay and ledecky having the 400 free twice)

I saw that one of the swimmers in the W 400 butterfly was DQd for not touching the wall both hands simultaneously at the end, weird rule.

only reason for it I can think of is to prevent swimmers from making illegal motions for their stroke?

I saw that one of the swimmers in the W 400 butterfly was DQd for not touching the wall both hands simultaneously at the end, weird rule.

only reason for it I can think of is to prevent swimmers from making illegal motions for their stroke?

Didn't even know you had to touch two hands on butterfly. I guess it makes sense as a two-hand stroke, but never thought about it.

Has to be egregious.. but you can see the difference sitting on your couch

Stretch a single arm out as far as you can, so also rotating your shoulder forward and twisting your torso.. and notice how much further that single arm can go, rather than if your shoulders are squared and both arms are sticking out

But that’s one of the bad habits you develop in practice.. just like swimming to a single side of the lane because you’re rotating in practice (so when you see people drifting toward the lane rope, that’s because that’s what you’re doing in practice).. but you get lazy-ish and turn and finish with a single arm instead of using both

Didn't even know you had to touch two hands on butterfly. I guess it makes sense as a two-hand stroke, but never thought about it.

right? like I wouldn't ever think it's that serious but for two hand strokes it makes sense to finish with two hands

Stretch a single arm out as far as you can, so also rotating your shoulder forward and twisting your torso.. and notice how much further that single arm can go, rather than if your shoulders are squared and both arms are sticking out

But that’s one of the bad habits you develop in practice.. just like swimming to a single side of the lane because you’re rotating in practice.. but you get lazy-ish and turn and finish with a single arm instead of using both

for sure reaching with one arm and dropping the other shoulder is a big difference, but it seems like they emphasize "simultaneously". like I read for breaststroke that one hand can't be lower than the other?

Breastroke and fly, you’re supposed to turn and finish with both hands

But that distance advantage you get, is why you rotate so heavily on your freestyle and backstroke events plus the drag reduction without your shoulders being squared in the water

But that’s why freestyle and backstroke finishes are on the side to stretch/reach as far as you can
right? like I wouldn't ever think it's that serious but for two hand strokes it makes sense to finish with two hands

for sure reaching with one arm and dropping the other shoulder is a big difference, but it seems like they emphasize "simultaneously". like I read for breaststroke that one hand can't be lower than the other?

Yea the height thing is moreso about the turn.. so you start cheating your turn motion.. so in the turn motion, you’re dropping the elbow and then whole arm of the side you’re turning to and then pushing off on your side and rotating toward the bottom

So you’re starting the rotation early, instead of touch and then going into the motion.. and in practice, no big thing

The biggest adjustment on that sort of stuff, is a lot of pools have gutters.. so in practice you just grab the gutter in fly and breaststroke to help with the turn.. but in meets, you got touch pads on both sides

Breastroke and fly, you’re supposed to turn and finish with both hands

But that distance advantage you get, is why you rotate so heavily on your freestyle and backstroke events plus the drag reduction without your shoulders being squared in the water

But that’s why freestyle and backstroke finishes are on the side to stretch/reach as far as you can

Yea the height thing is moreso about the turn.. so you start cheating your turn motion.. so in the turn motion, you’re dropping the elbow and then whole arm of the side you’re turning to and then pushing off on your side and rotating toward the bottom

So you’re starting the rotation early, instead of touch and then going into the motion.. and in practice, no big thing

The biggest adjustment on that sort of stuff, is a lot of pools have gutters.. so in practice you just grab the gutter in fly and breaststroke to help with the turn.. but in meets, you got touch pads on both sides

ahh ok, so having your hands touch on different planes means you dropped your lower side to turn early and you're essentially sideways. gotcha.

I swim at the city pool for exercise sometimes, I'd be completely lost trying to do any kind of maneuvering at each end without that gutter to hold on to :lol:

ahh ok, so having your hands touch on different planes means you dropped your lower side to turn early and you're essentially sideways. gotcha.

I swim at the city pool for exercise sometimes, I'd be completely lost trying to do any kind of maneuvering at each end without that gutter to hold on to :lol:

Yup.. and that’s what gets you in practice you’re tired and doing that combo or just grabbing 1 arm and pulling yourself to the wall so you can push off as much as possible and make things as easy as you can

But in meets you need that momentum you carry into the wall to do that work for you.. so you gotta finish “through the wall” so you’re able to get into and keep that tight body position because after the start the fastest you’re going be is off the wall

But if you want to see how slippery those timing pads are, look up slipping backstroke starts.. people screw up turns too.. but it’s more noticeable on backstroke starts.. but that’s why they had to put the wedges in and people still slip off of those

Yup.. and that’s what gets you in practice you’re tired and doing that combo or just grabbing 1 arm and pulling yourself to the wall so you can push off as much as possible and make things as easy as you can

But in meets you need that momentum you carry into the wall to do that work for you.. so you gotta finish “through the wall” so you’re able to get into and keep that tight body position because after the start the fastest you’re going be is off the wall

But if you want to see how slippery those timing pads are, look up slipping backstroke starts.. people screw up turns too.. but it’s more noticeable on backstroke starts.. but that’s why they had to put the wedges in and people still slip off of those

Hmm never thought about it but you really have to swim all the way into the wall and be able to explode off of it in those strokes. And keeping your body tight so resistance doesn’t catch you.

I’m sorry but this is pretty funny

(skip to 2:50)

I'd always heard about lane designations, and how it can affect your stroke. They try to minimize "wake" with the lane markers absorbing all the wake from other swimmer's strokes. There's literal science involved. That's why records keep getting broken. It's not like track and field or any other sport. It's insane how swimming keeps evolving.

I'd always heard about lane designations, and how it can affect your stroke. They try to minimize "wake" with the lane markers absorbing all the wake from other swimmer's strokes. There's literal science involved. That's why records keep getting broken. It's not like track and field or any other sport. It's insane how swimming keeps evolving.

Well it kinda depends.. so obviously people are getting smarter on stroke mechanics and better utilizing aspects of the race and distance per stroke and all that

But say for Olympics situations in certain events you’re not really likely to get world records because of the wake.. or because of the wake you’re better off being in lane 1 or lane 8 because then you have an open lane next to you (so look at the US medley relay from last Olympics that ended up breaking the world record from lane 1)

But for a guy like David popovici, who’s a slender dude and held the 100 free world record.. Olympics might be a bad situation for him in the middle of the pool because you got all these linebacker size dudes

Or take calaeb dressel, who is shorter, but his starts and finishes allow him to get ahead and under the wake created.. plus he’s a powerful dude himself just not 6’4-6’6 like some of these other dudes (he’s like 6’2)

But that’s one of the bad habits you develop in practice.. just like swimming to a single side of the lane because you’re rotating in practice (so when you see people drifting toward the lane rope, that’s because that’s what you’re doing in practice).. but you get lazy-ish and turn and finish with a single arm instead of using both
I forgot from the last Olympics there was a fellow swimmer in here :pimp:

I forgot from the last Olympics there was a fellow swimmer in here :pimp:

Just started back up for exercise, cause it’s too hot to be running down here (Bahamas).. doing like around 2-3000 like 3 days a week

But zero clue how I did sh back in the day.. would do doubles, lift/dry land and then play hour or so of full court ball after study hall

Just started back up for exercise, cause it’s too hot to be running down here (Bahamas).. doing like around 2-3000 like 3 days a week

But zero clue how I did sh back in the day.. would do doubles, lift/dry land and then play hour or so of full court ball after study hall
Damn I can’t even do all that. Tried to get back in pool a couple times a week but only doing like 1,000.

Back
Top Bottom