Paulus trying football again?

roll.gif
I've avoided this thread up till seeing dude on pti, he is a fool, he probly aint gonna start at scUM after not playing fball for 4 yrs.
smh.gif
mich is so pathetic them bammas is lookin for a ##+*!** skinny @+# white boy douche to save that program
smh.gif

damn, alot of paulus hate here... give the guy some credit, he has some serious credentials from his HS days and was a highly touted recruit. Weinke didnt playfootball for a good period of time (was playing minor league baseball) before he went to FSU... same with Matt Mauk. Not saying Paulus is going to duplicatetheir success but it can be done

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by StephonUrkel

only problem is whose gunna put dude back together the first time james harrison or justin tuck
put the crack-a-lack on em
At least he won't have to worry about Vernon Gholston putting the 'crack-a-lack' on him

wink.gif

indifferent.gif

I guess if you couldn't land Terrelle Pryor, Paulus is the next best option.....Rich Rod had this ace up his sleeve the whole time...props to UM if they pull this off.

Get 'em.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

I've heard Syracuse offered him something.

Not happening. Marrone just named Nassib the starting QB. He thinks the kid can be the goods. Greg would only stunt his growth. Syracuse didn't offeranything, that was just him saying what schools he'd consider. A distraction like this is something that this program does not need.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

SCuse7 wrote:

Not happening. Marrone just named Nassib the starting QB. He thinks the kid can be the goods. Greg would only stunt his growth. Syracuse didn't offer anything, that was just him saying what schools he'd consider. A distraction like this is something that this program does not need.

Something. He was offered something, not necessarily a QB spot. A lot of schools are looking at him as a slot WR.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by Lazy B

SCuse7 wrote:

Not happening. Marrone just named Nassib the starting QB. He thinks the kid can be the goods. Greg would only stunt his growth. Syracuse didn't offer anything, that was just him saying what schools he'd consider. A distraction like this is something that this program does not need.

Something. He was offered something, not necessarily a QB spot. A lot of schools are looking at him as a slot WR.

Is he really that fast? I'm sure he's much more qualified to be a QB than a receiver, considering how good he was in HS. Wonder what his 40 time is...

Sports Illustrated
November 15, 2004

For Love of the Game
Greg Paulus, one of the nation's top QB recruits, will instead be doing his passing on the basketball court at Duke

Gene Menez, Sports Illustrated November 15, 2004

Greg Paulus has made up his mind, and he'd like people to stop bugging him. That means you, Ohio State. And you too, Miami. All you big Division I football schools can stop sending your recruiting letters and, while you're at it, your assistant coaches too.

Paulus, a senior at Christian Brothers Academy in Syracuse, N.Y., is by some estimates the most sought after high school quarterback in the country. But he long ago decided on the school he's attending, so these last-ditch efforts to change his mind have as much chance as a 70-yard Hail Mary. Just last week Michigan--a program that, with freshman Chad Henne playing well this season, seems set at QB--wanted to fly an assistant to central New York to persuade Paulus to come to Ann Arbor. "You don't have to," Christian Brothers coach Joe Casamento told the Wolverines. "Greg hasn't changed his mind."

Paulus won't be playing for Michigan. More surprising, he won't even be playing football. Instead he'll be playing basketball at Duke. "People ask me all the time, 'Why aren't you playing football [in college]?'" Paulus says. "It's kind of a mystery to everyone."

What's not a mystery is his ability in both sports. In football the 6'2", 185-pound Paulus's excellent mechanics and cobra-quick release have helped him set six New York state records--including most career passing yards (10,811) and touchdowns (146)--for the Brothers, who after beating Fayetteville-Manlius 49-13 last Sunday in the New York Section 3 Class AA championship game were 10-0 and last week were ranked 19th in USA Today's Super 25. Last year at a Syracuse University summer camp for recruits, Paulus went head-to-head with the Michigan-bound Henne. "Honestly," says one high school coach, "even though Chad throws a hard ball, Greg gets back, gets set and gets rid of it quicker so his ball is there sooner."

Says Casamento, "Greg can be an instant contributor at some place. My assistant coaches all pout and moan because he's not going to play football in college."

But Paulus, who grew up playing pickup basketball with his six siblings on the full-sized court in his parents' backyard and has played varsity hoops at Christian Brothers since eighth grade, could be even better in basketball. Ranked by one scout as the No. 16 recruit in the nation, he's a pass-first point guard who reminds Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski of former Blue Devil Bobby Hurley. Not that he's afraid to shoot--his 1,861 career points are a school record. "In the first high school game he ever played we were down one with 10 seconds to go," Christian Brothers basketball coach Buddy Wleklinski says. "With three seniors on the floor, he had the moxie to take the last shot. He didn't make it, but there aren't a lot of eighth-graders who would be willing to do that."

Like football, college basketball beckoned, and Paulus could have played anywhere he wanted. In fact, Duke, Michigan, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Stanford and Syracuse all told him he could play both sports. Before his junior year, however, Paulus chose Duke over Notre Dame, Xavier, Syracuse and North Carolina and decided he'd only suit up in basketball. The choice raised eyebrows around town. "I couldn't go to a diner," Casamento says. "Everybody asked, 'Why is he not playing football?'"

Paulus explains, "First, basketball has always been my first love. Second, I want to be the point guard at Duke. I don't want any obstacle to get in my way of that, even if that means giving up football."

Paulus was expected to officially sign with Duke when the early-signing period opened this week. Though he hasn't ruled out playing football for the Blue Devils, no one close to him expects him to. (By NCAA rules, he can't play football--the sport with the larger team--as long as he's on a basketball scholarship.) "Knowing him the way I know him, I think he'll be totally devoted to becoming the best point guard he can be," Casamento says. "If you do two sports, you could be an A-minus at both, but you probably won't be an A-plus at either. He wants to be an A-plus point guard."

And that's final.

Sporting News is reporting he is visiting Syracuse this weekend and has also recently talked to Nebraska....and Paulus is saying this is an academic decisionas well as athletic.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by SouthsideChi773

I do not understand the college transfer system,so how can he transfer and not have to sit for a year?
I think it's because he is playing a different sport.
and because he is set to graduate, so he won't be an underclassman. same thing happened a while a go with a UF basketball player, MajorParker. Played all 4 year of bball, graduated then was granted an extra year of eligibility and played DE for Gators football.

Back
Top Bottom