Playground BBall habits.

guy who comes with the most accessories (sleve, headband, etc.) is the worst guy

not getting back on defense

taking terrible shots

too much fast break

The ballhog.
The dude that cries bout getting fouled n doesnt call. I fouled u? Call it then if not sh.
The guy that swears just cause im 6'4 ima play in the post n grab every single rebound n dunk it.(its a pickup game relax)
Ahhhh I could go on .

The ballhog.
The dude that cries bout getting fouled n doesnt call. I fouled u? Call it then if not sh.
The guy that swears just cause im 6'4 ima play in the post n grab every single rebound n dunk it.(its a pickup game relax)
Ahhhh I could go on .

Originally Posted by lynchpin33

where i stay we have a couple of guys that are the head coaches of the varsity boys and girls team and they still love to play.  they open the gym and it is by invitation only through a text message to get in.  we have about 10-15 of the best talent in town come in and play serious games that avoid alot of the pet peeves many of you have already said.  most of the guys played college, all armed forces or semi pro ball, and one played pro.  the guy who played pro is 54 years old and his body fat is 5% about 6'1 and he can still dunk. (he had to be a winner of the genetic lottery) so it is quality runs.  people who do not get in call it the best run it town.  one time someone left the door open and we had about 70 cats in the gym, we were pissed!  it was hard to account for everyone while trying to play, mind you we are in the school and most of the guys who were not playing were walking around.  we were not going to get shutdown for that.  so we ended up changing the time we hoop and lock the door once we get our people in house.  in-between games when we go to the bathroom or go get water you can see the uninvited guest trying to get in, but if you open that door for them, you can kiss your invitation to get in the gym goodbye.
but being that we can not always get this group of people together i do play other places and here are the things i can not stand:

-THE NIKE COMBAT WARRIOR GEAR GUY

-the shooting sleeve

-the guy who has played in college and every league but the nba, and talks about he famous people he has played against and with

-the guy who wants to play point center - point guard - point forward and cannot dribble

-people who think the smallest guy has to play point guard

-the guy who dribbles too much, i was always taught if you can not beat your man in five dribbles pass the damn ball

-the fat guy in the tall t who plays from 3 point line to 3 point line

-the scrub who runs to shoot for captain becuz he knows he will not be picked up

-the guy in the sweaty t shirt get a dri fit or dry power from walmart or something

-the guy who has the brand new shoes and complains when someone scuffs them up

-the headband wrist band guy

-the cats who sucks but has a homeboy who can play and then you get on the court with them and he makes you lose

-games that are not serious when everyone is getting tired and no one is keeping score

-girls on the court or in that case when girls show up dudes trying to play like a superstar 

-dudes who can lift all the weights in the world and do not call foul, i mean we see you have muscles you do not have to prove to us how strong you are by not calling fouls, we won't think any less of you if you do.

-the dude who says i need to get in shape, dude you are over 30 with a everyday job and a family you are not getting back into highschool shape ever again

-people who get beat on defense and are above hollering for help, and get beat constantly on defense, but want to shoot to go at the guy who is scorching them

-"homeboy ball" or roomate ball where they guard eachother and they let the eachother score and will not foul eachother becuz they rode together and do not want to argue at home.

-the and one ballers, i am so glad that b.s era is over

-the scrub who rushes to shoot for captain becuz he is not going to get picked up.

-having a fast break stopped becuz the cats at the other end are shooting around, there are 10 other baskets in the gym , go shoot over there!!!

-guy waiting to see if they miss before they call ball

-letting a call go (i.e. travel) when the score is zero to zero, but when it is game point a piece that same call causes the biggest arguments for the longest time.

-when the gym is full and no one wants to lose and that first game to 15 goes for 45 minutes to an hour ( i think everybody has played in this game)

-letting the "big mouth" of the gym get all his calls

- another homeboy ball thing where they pass only to eachother

-the guy who looks like he can play when you need one more to make 10, but when you get him on the floor you might as well played 4 on 4

-waiting until the superstars of the gym showup when you have 10 decent people ready to play

-on the rare occasion i am not picked up in the first ten, seeing what is on the sideline and losing all interest in playing for the rest of the day.

-walking in late and there are only 11 people in the gym only one guy is on the side and you ask if he has next he says yes and i already have my

five ready to go, mind you there are only 12 people in the gym total

I COULD GO ON AND ON BUT I AM GOING TO STOP HERE

to the guy earlier who call people a chump for getting the team to pass the ball to me on defense, i must be the biggest chump in the world.  i average about 4 to 5 of those a game, but i always say do not blame me , blame the guy i am guarding.  i usually guard a scrub and do the things that he should be doing, cutting to the basket going to the open spot on the floor, posting him up on d, etc.  if i can do all that on defense then what the hell is he doing while  i am running around as if i am a 6th teammate.

QFT 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by lynchpin33

where i stay we have a couple of guys that are the head coaches of the varsity boys and girls team and they still love to play.  they open the gym and it is by invitation only through a text message to get in.  we have about 10-15 of the best talent in town come in and play serious games that avoid alot of the pet peeves many of you have already said.  most of the guys played college, all armed forces or semi pro ball, and one played pro.  the guy who played pro is 54 years old and his body fat is 5% about 6'1 and he can still dunk. (he had to be a winner of the genetic lottery) so it is quality runs.  people who do not get in call it the best run it town.  one time someone left the door open and we had about 70 cats in the gym, we were pissed!  it was hard to account for everyone while trying to play, mind you we are in the school and most of the guys who were not playing were walking around.  we were not going to get shutdown for that.  so we ended up changing the time we hoop and lock the door once we get our people in house.  in-between games when we go to the bathroom or go get water you can see the uninvited guest trying to get in, but if you open that door for them, you can kiss your invitation to get in the gym goodbye.
but being that we can not always get this group of people together i do play other places and here are the things i can not stand:

-THE NIKE COMBAT WARRIOR GEAR GUY

-the shooting sleeve

-the guy who has played in college and every league but the nba, and talks about he famous people he has played against and with

-the guy who wants to play point center - point guard - point forward and cannot dribble

-people who think the smallest guy has to play point guard

-the guy who dribbles too much, i was always taught if you can not beat your man in five dribbles pass the damn ball

-the fat guy in the tall t who plays from 3 point line to 3 point line

-the scrub who runs to shoot for captain becuz he knows he will not be picked up

-the guy in the sweaty t shirt get a dri fit or dry power from walmart or something

-the guy who has the brand new shoes and complains when someone scuffs them up

-the headband wrist band guy

-the cats who sucks but has a homeboy who can play and then you get on the court with them and he makes you lose

-games that are not serious when everyone is getting tired and no one is keeping score

-girls on the court or in that case when girls show up dudes trying to play like a superstar 

-dudes who can lift all the weights in the world and do not call foul, i mean we see you have muscles you do not have to prove to us how strong you are by not calling fouls, we won't think any less of you if you do.

-the dude who says i need to get in shape, dude you are over 30 with a everyday job and a family you are not getting back into highschool shape ever again

-people who get beat on defense and are above hollering for help, and get beat constantly on defense, but want to shoot to go at the guy who is scorching them

-"homeboy ball" or roomate ball where they guard eachother and they let the eachother score and will not foul eachother becuz they rode together and do not want to argue at home.

-the and one ballers, i am so glad that b.s era is over

-the scrub who rushes to shoot for captain becuz he is not going to get picked up.

-having a fast break stopped becuz the cats at the other end are shooting around, there are 10 other baskets in the gym , go shoot over there!!!

-guy waiting to see if they miss before they call ball

-letting a call go (i.e. travel) when the score is zero to zero, but when it is game point a piece that same call causes the biggest arguments for the longest time.

-when the gym is full and no one wants to lose and that first game to 15 goes for 45 minutes to an hour ( i think everybody has played in this game)

-letting the "big mouth" of the gym get all his calls

- another homeboy ball thing where they pass only to eachother

-the guy who looks like he can play when you need one more to make 10, but when you get him on the floor you might as well played 4 on 4

-waiting until the superstars of the gym showup when you have 10 decent people ready to play

-on the rare occasion i am not picked up in the first ten, seeing what is on the sideline and losing all interest in playing for the rest of the day.

-walking in late and there are only 11 people in the gym only one guy is on the side and you ask if he has next he says yes and i already have my

five ready to go, mind you there are only 12 people in the gym total

I COULD GO ON AND ON BUT I AM GOING TO STOP HERE

to the guy earlier who call people a chump for getting the team to pass the ball to me on defense, i must be the biggest chump in the world.  i average about 4 to 5 of those a game, but i always say do not blame me , blame the guy i am guarding.  i usually guard a scrub and do the things that he should be doing, cutting to the basket going to the open spot on the floor, posting him up on d, etc.  if i can do all that on defense then what the hell is he doing while  i am running around as if i am a 6th teammate.

QFT 
roll.gif

I hate the "ever changing rules" guy. Most importantly when it comes to score.

first to win by two.

no it's first to 17 by two

you can't win on a two

yes even it if was tied

yes we go up 1 if we hit a 2 down 1

no if your down 1 and you hit a 2 that means its tied up

cap 21 when its 19-18 his team

first to win by two.

you can't win on a two

yes even it if was tied

Originally Posted by youngmoney

Originally Posted by Jay02

Am I the only one who rarely calls fouls? Unless I really get hammered I usually just play on.

i never call fouls really...unless theyre real obvious like dude is hugging me to prevent me from winning the game
indifferent.gif

something happened today that pissed me off...

so this team has won like 3 games in a row...my team sucks so im trying to get this upset...its tied up 8-8...im defending the dude and he straight up falls down..he's trying to pass it from his back but nobody is open...i grab the ball, so we are stalemated for like 3 secs...obviously in "real" bball the call would be jump ball...this dude just stands up and starts walking and wants me to check it up to him. im like WHAT? its either a jump ball or a travel. and since they started im like our ball either way. "what youre calling a jump ball blah blah blah" than im like its either a jump ball or travel. finally after 10 mins of argueing dude was like shoot for it. so i shoot it yell "JIMMER!" while the ball is in the air (being cocky)
laugh.gif
and drain it so we get it and end up winning.

but i was just flabergasted at how bad this dude was trying to cheat. smh

so yes i called jump ball in a pick up game....come at me bro.

In any situation like that I usually go with defense gets the ball

Originally Posted by Jay02

Am I the only one who rarely calls fouls? Unless I really get hammered I usually just play on.

i never call fouls really...unless theyre real obvious like dude is hugging me to prevent me from winning the game
indifferent.gif

something happened today that pissed me off...

so this team has won like 3 games in a row...my team sucks so im trying to get this upset...its tied up 8-8...im defending the dude and he straight up falls down..he's trying to pass it from his back but nobody is open...i grab the ball, so we are stalemated for like 3 secs...obviously in "real" bball the call would be jump ball...this dude just stands up and starts walking and wants me to check it up to him. im like WHAT? its either a jump ball or a travel. and since they started im like our ball either way. "what youre calling a jump ball blah blah blah" than im like its either a jump ball or travel. finally after 10 mins of argueing dude was like shoot for it. so i shoot it yell "JIMMER!" while the ball is in the air (being cocky)
laugh.gif
and drain it so we get it and end up winning.

but i was just flabergasted at how bad this dude was trying to cheat. smh

so yes i called jump ball in a pick up game....come at me bro.

In any situation like that I usually go with defense gets the ball

Originally Posted by Prostaffer

first to win by two.

you can't win on a two

yes even it if was tied

HAHA this is so true. i think this is a case for alot of pick up games across the country.

Originally Posted by Prostaffer

first to win by two.

you can't win on a two

yes even it if was tied

HAHA this is so true. i think this is a case for alot of pick up games across the country.

Originally Posted by jae oh en

i hate people who want to play zone in pickup games.
30t6p3b.gif

is this real life?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

i might actually try this tonight just to throw the other team off

hmmmmm
Pretty common in the NYC area.
Sometimes we even throw a 3-2 in the mix if we have 2 capable big guys of handling down low.

Half court zone though? Hell naw. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jae oh en

i hate people who want to play zone in pickup games.
30t6p3b.gif

is this real life?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

i might actually try this tonight just to throw the other team off

hmmmmm
Pretty common in the NYC area.
Sometimes we even throw a 3-2 in the mix if we have 2 capable big guys of handling down low.

Half court zone though? Hell naw. 
laugh.gif

If you play half court zone, you're a #*#$!.

Did not even know that even existed.
sick.gif

I played a few days ago and this dude would drive and just stop the ball without calling a foul, assuming that I should just hand him the ball. Dude tried to drive right through me and I just ate the contact, and he wanted a check ball. I gave him the
indifferent.gif
stare.

If you play half court zone, you're a #*#$!.

Did not even know that even existed.
sick.gif

I played a few days ago and this dude would drive and just stop the ball without calling a foul, assuming that I should just hand him the ball. Dude tried to drive right through me and I just ate the contact, and he wanted a check ball. I gave him the
indifferent.gif
stare.

I hate players who don't pass me the ball. LET ME BE GREAT! But seriously, nothing annoys me more than the young "phenom" who can't stand to lose and thinks he's better than he really is. That and the team of this type that make up excuses when they lose.

I hate players who don't pass me the ball. LET ME BE GREAT! But seriously, nothing annoys me more than the young "phenom" who can't stand to lose and thinks he's better than he really is. That and the team of this type that make up excuses when they lose.

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

1. The "you fouled me but I'm not gonna call it" guy. Even if you say alright take it up top he says "nah its cool". Then why the $%^$ would you stop the game then
mad.gif
laugh.gif
I hate that.

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

1. The "you fouled me but I'm not gonna call it" guy. Even if you say alright take it up top he says "nah its cool". Then why the $%^$ would you stop the game then
mad.gif
laugh.gif
I hate that.

Alot of these are on point. How about when it's game point and the guy decides to take a 30fter for the W? And then you tell them something and they say "dude it was an open shot I always hit those" haha

Alot of these are on point. How about when it's game point and the guy decides to take a 30fter for the W? And then you tell them something and they say "dude it was an open shot I always hit those" haha

- The guys who dont get back on defense, yet take the shot as soon as they touch it.

- Guys who have no foot speed or quickness that "tries" to drive the ball past their man into a crowded lane, only to throw up an underhanded miss lay up.

- Don't call out picks or know how to step up after the pick is set, allowing yoru man an open shot or drive to the basketball

- Guys that can't complete a lay-up after being spoon fed a nice pass.

- The guys who dont get back on defense, yet take the shot as soon as they touch it.

- Guys who have no foot speed or quickness that "tries" to drive the ball past their man into a crowded lane, only to throw up an underhanded miss lay up.

- Don't call out picks or know how to step up after the pick is set, allowing yoru man an open shot or drive to the basketball

- Guys that can't complete a lay-up after being spoon fed a nice pass.

Back
Top Bottom