Police Kill Unarmed Teen In Ferguson, Missouri

With that post being said and keeping this separate I too read the conversations as they unfolded and I noticed that Ceballos brought it up many times as well, BUT never once did I feel like he was justifying it, defending people who would run over protesters or implying that he himself would participate in it.

I could tell he just didn't think that was the best way to protest for the reasons he listed, and it ended there.

I don't think he's being sly or slick in trying to communicate that he is okaying anybody being run over during a protest, but that if you put yourself in that situation to be run over, you have to be prepared for the consequence of being run over.

There is a cause and affect to every action, he's just acknowledging that. If you don't want to get hit, don't block traffic on the highway.

With that post being said and keeping this separate I too read the conversations as they unfolded and I noticed that Ceballos brought it up many times as well, BUT never once did I feel like he was justifying it, defending people who would run over protesters or implying that he himself would participate in it.

I could tell he just didn't think that was the best way to protest for the reasons he listed, and it ended there.

I don't think he's being sly or slick in trying to communicate that he is okaying anybody being run over during a protest, but that if you put yourself in that situation to be run over, you have to be prepared for the consequence of being run over.

There is a cause and affect to every action, he's just acknowledging that. If you don't want to get hit, don't block traffic on the highway.
thank you for looking at it from a rational perspective.  i do appreciate that.

Cleveland police union objects to Andrew Hawkins’ pre-game T-shirt
hawkins.jpg
The police demand an apology, Maze.gif, what a mockery

apologize for what 
laugh.gif
    regardless of what his shirt says, the cops job is to protect people and serve the community. 

granted a decent portion of them do a terrible job at that which is why players are wearing these shirts in the first place. 

It's called awareness. You make sure people that didn't, know it's a problem.

Advertising works the same way.
You make sure people know about it by putting it in their face.

So you think boycotting buying goods from whites (for two days), is going help, but protesting in this manor isn't. 

I'm not saying either will or won't help, just pointing out that those 2 protests are one in the same.

I disagree. This is not like advertising at all. If anything it's about wanting attention and/or fulfilling some type of false sense of helping or supporting black people. Either hit their pockets or eye for an eye.

People are aware, trust and believe. Excluding kids up to maybe 16 years old, people know the general feeling towards blacks in america. Advertising is more about shoving a product down your throat because you have so many choices, almost like a wearing down affect until you give in and buy.

I don't care if 10 million ppl band together in the street of all colors over Eric garner, it will NOT stop a racist person from harming, killing, or discriminating against blacks. They will not turn the tv on and say "oh wow! Look honey, those folks out there must really be against our ignorant thoughts n actions. We better stop it now". Smdh please!

Now if garner's wife or family members sought out the cop who killed him with that chokehold n killed him as well as all other other family members of victims like this, I can bet you they would stop and think first. Like hey "I can't stand blacks but I ain't about to do him dirty because they don't play around!" But until then they will see us as a joke of people who march, turn cheeks, and get over it.

If something as menial as blocking traffic changes your mind from being down with the cause, you were never down with the cause in the first place.

Exactly!

I don't think the protesters believe that protesting is the end all be all. They are taking a page from the civil rights movement of the 50s,60s and 70s,protest to stir up the public, then work behind the scenes to demand change in the laws.

Reactions: MVP
So because you can now drink from the same fountain as them and dine with them, things have changed? You rather drink with them and still have a bulls eye on your forehead?
Be able to vote then leave the booth and get rear naked choke held to death? Allowed to go to college but first get smoked in the middle of the street unarmed?

Naw I'm good!

So because you can now drink from the same fountain as them and dine with them, things have changed? You rather drink with them and still have a bulls eye on your forehead?
Be able to vote then leave the booth and get rear naked choke held to death? Allowed to go to college but first get smoked in the middle of the street unarmed?

Naw I'm good!
what the hell are you talking about?

the change from pre-integration to 2014 is IMMENSE....

So many gains have been had in the pursuit of racial equality...

doesn't mean we are finished... but trying to say things havn't changed?

I'd rather deal with 2014 police brutality than 1950's police brutality anyday...

The war isn't over... but stop talking like we havn't been winning battles.

I disagree. This is not like advertising at all. If anything it's about wanting attention and/or fulfilling some type of false sense of helping or supporting black people. Either hit their pockets or eye for an eye.

People are aware, trust and believe. Excluding kids up to maybe 16 years old, people know the general feeling towards blacks in america. Advertising is more about shoving a product down your throat because you have so many choices, almost like a wearing down affect until you give in and buy.

I don't care if 10 million ppl band together in the street of all colors over Eric garner, it will NOT stop a racist person from harming, killing, or discriminating against blacks. They will not turn the tv on and say "oh wow! Look honey, those folks out there must really be against our ignorant thoughts n actions. We better stop it now". Smdh please!

Now if garner's wife or family members sought out the cop who killed him with that chokehold n killed him as well as all other other family members of victims like this, I can bet you they would stop and think first. Like hey "I can't stand blacks but I ain't about to do him dirty because they don't play around!" But until then they will see us as a joke of people who march, turn cheeks, and get over it.
Exactly!
i agree with that last part.     i remember people saying zimmerman was a dead man walking,  same has and is being said about darren wilson, and about this cop here and ultimately all 3 are just chilling somewhere.   maybe their stressed that someone might come after them one day, maybe their not, but if one of those 3 or someone who commits a similar injustice gets killed by someone else as retribution, then that changes the ballgame and does way more then any protests will.   

hell it doesn't have to be limited to those cops.   the people who contributed to someone like darren wilson's legal funds are guilty as well.

if something violent happens to either of the choices i mentioned, it makes people realize there are real consequences for their actions. 

think about it,  people raised hundreds of thousands of dollars to fund or support zimmerman and darren wilson.    if their dumb enough to put a name behind the donation then they should be a target if people can't get to zimmerman or either of the 2 cops.  

what the hell are you talking about?

the change from pre-integration to 2014 is IMMENSE....

So many gains have been had in the pursuit of racial equality...
doesn't mean we are finished... but trying to say things havn't changed?

I'd rather deal with 2014 police brutality than 1950's police brutality anyday...

The war isn't over... but stop talking like we havn't been winning battles.

Point is we shouldn't have to deal with it at all. You still got people with that 50s mentality. Gains have been made but nowhere near where it should be, as evidenced by a number of things. Hard to get rid of 200+ years of oppression and expect it to be near an even playing field in 50 years. Probably be another 3 generations at least before things are there, if ever.

The work behind the scenes isn't very organized... there is no central leadership... this is the only weakness behind the movement at the moment.
this is why most movements in this country fail.

different battle, but occupy wall street had no type of leadership whatsoever.   no real face of the movement or voice to rally around.    they had the numbers to make something happen, but didn't have a specific direction or leader.

the problem with protests in America besides the lack of leadership is that things are screwed up and backwards, but their not bad to the point where people have the mindset that these protests can't fail no matter what.  at the end of the day, most people protesting can live their every day lives business as usual even though they do have to deal with some injustices from time to time.

compare it to the arab spring uprisings.  they were successful in overthrowning the people they had problems with because things were so bad that they couldn't fail.  i don't think that desperation is the same here.    there is serious problems and issues that do need to be fixed but their not on that same level unfortunately. 

Do you go to a breast cancer awareness rally and scream "Hey... testicular cancer is pretty bad too! let's get some stuff going for that!!"

no.
i get what superb is saying, but that shouldn't have to be done for things to gain momentum.

saying that, "all lives matter" stuff is a double edged sword to me.    it may get more people interested and aware in the situation which is a good thing, but at the same time, if it has to take things being changed from "black lives matter" to "all lives matter", perhaps those aren't the people you want on board in the first place.  "all lives matter" probably will get a bigger following then "black lives matter"  but its insulting in my opinion because when these situations happen, almost all the cases involve a black person as the victim so its unreasonable for whites or whoever to think that this stuff happens to them in a similar level imo. 

i've said it before, but the day middle aged white soccer mom in middle America think their little billy's are just as in danger of getting shot by an overly fearful  trigger happy cop who can't control a situation and decides to shoot an unarmed little billy just as much as it can happen to little jamal is when things will change. 

that disconnect is huge.

Point is we shouldn't have to deal with it at all. You still got people with that 50s mentality. Gains have been made but nowhere near where it should be, as evidenced by a number of things. Hard to get rid of 200+ years of oppression and expect it to be near an even playing field in 50 years. Probably be another 3 generations at least before things are there, if ever.
Should be?

What is the defined timeframe for a former population kept as slaves to become equal in all aspects to the main population?

This is a work in progress.... stop acting like something is missing... progress moves fast..and progress moves slow... but we have dominated and defined major attritubtes of American culture... and we have overcome obstacles people in the past would never think possible.... 

Last edited:
You keep saying there's no leadership, why does there need to be a face to the movement? Having Jesse Jackson or an Al Sharpton type would do a lot more harm than good. It'd just be a way to have a scapegoat if the things these people are working for don't end up happening.

The most successful movements in this country's history have been done organically and at a grass roots level first. Just look at Obama getting elected, that was just 6 years ago. There are clear goals and leadership by various groups in this movement, it has to be at the local and state levels first because that's where the change is needed most. If you fail to acknowledge them because they don't meet some mythical standard of what a movement is, that's on you. To criticize the work that people are doing (students, clergy, politicians, various groups of every day men and women of all races in their own communities where these things are happening) as somehow not being enough and characterizing it as just another Occupy Wall Street movement is misguided in my opinion.

Should be?

What is the defined timeframe for a former population kept as slaves to become equal in all aspects to the main population?

This is a work in progress.... stop acting like something is missing... progress moves fast..and progress moves slow... but we have dominated and defined major attritubtes of American culture... and we have overcome obstacles people in the past would never think possible.... 

Progression at least to the point of the issue at hand where you see pictures from the 1950s and from today and can't really tell the difference. But that's part of a bigger discussion and issue that's off the current topic.

Back
Top Bottom