\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

2016 Cayman S, 18K miles, $69K

That was actually a good price. Especially for an S. Was it a PDK or 6-speed? For the money, I hate to harp on it, as I love them so much, but you can find a Evora 400 for around the same price (in the 70s) for a year (or 2 newer as they are 2017-2018 models) and mostly likely less mileage.

Now dealer support is going to be less as there aren't many around, but it being a Toyota 2GR supercharged V6 (which is basically bulletproof) any good independent sports car/exotic repair shop can easily handle it. And prices for parts won't be nearly as much (I know Porsche pricing from a friend) and it is more unique looking (though I am a fan of the Cayman).

Best thing I can give? My wife & I did a toys for tots car show last November. Drove my car to it. While we walked the back parking lot of all the cars that came, there was a 2020/2021 Evora GT in metallic yellow. Guy just got it and traded in a Boxster Spyder for it and he was HEAD OVER HEELS for the GT. Says it's the most fun car he's ever driven. Amazing steering. Strangely that isn't the first time I heard that when compared to a Cayman. Just a thought. 😉

That was actually a good price. Especially for an S. Was it a PDK or 6-speed? For the money, I hate to harp on it, as I love them so much, but you can find a Evora 400 for around the same price (in the 70s) for a year (or 2 newer as they are 2017-2018 models) and mostly likely less mileage.

Now dealer support is going to be less as there aren't many around, but it being a Toyota 2GR supercharged V6 (which is basically bulletproof) any good independent sports car/exotic repair shop can easily handle it. And prices for parts won't be nearly as much (I know Porsche pricing from a friend) and it is more unique looking (though I am a fan of the Cayman).

Best thing I can give? My wife & I did a toys for tots car show last November. Drove my car to it. While we walked the back parking lot of all the cars that came, there was a 2020/2021 Evora GT in metallic yellow. Guy just got it and traded in a Boxster Spyder for it and he was HEAD OVER HEELS for the GT. Says it's the most fun car he's ever driven. Amazing steering. Strangely that isn't the first time I heard that when compared to a Cayman. Just a thought. 😉

6 speed. I wasn't sure about the price until I talked to a friend who's a mechanical engineer.

I told him about it and I explained about the cost due to inflation. He was basically like that's not a bad deal. That's when I saw it was sold.

7328C38B-F9F3-4AA8-A543-CED066C5B80A.jpeg
B63A964D-ED32-48E0-BD56-0A0996EB8F07.jpeg

I just finished detailing my partners 2022 Polestar 2 Dual Motor with Performance Package and setting up its adjustable dampers. After a brief track session, I’m impressed with its brakes and handling vs. my former Model 3 Performance on closed courses. An impressive first effort in the EV space.

I’m torn on what to get next; we have a 2021 Model Y Performance coming home after being out for 4 months after being run into by an Uber-it’s going to be sold immediately.

We canceled a Taycan 4S order after seeing the Taycan GTS wagon in person and driving a Taycan Turbo for 300 miles; it’s a beautiful design but the UX is slow/outdated compared to the Google based system in the Polestar-not to mention Tesla.

I’ve ordered both a 22 Model Y-hopefully with the new 4680 battery and castings-and a 22 Model S LR which will have the new Matrix headlights-the MS headlights are really terrible.

Both will need brake upgrades ASAP-Teslas are underdamped (Model 3/Y) and have soft feeling, uninspired brake feel from the factory (whole lineup). But even standard AP is sublime in traffic.

A lot of Volvo switchgear in the cabin, but it’s well assembled. A nice upgrade from her 2019 Golf R DSG.

3EC8FEBF-7FA2-4AAE-92D6-5C3EE32D0066.jpeg

Last edited:

Pretty funny. Of course the Miata would win. Has the smallest power top there with almost no travel time. 😂😂

And I will say for a fact that it doesn't take that long to put the top on an Elise. My friend has one and he showed me how it works. Took him literally 15 seconds to clip the one side, unroll it to the other side and clip it in. It's easier than they show it to be. But still funny.

7328C38B-F9F3-4AA8-A543-CED066C5B80A.jpeg
B63A964D-ED32-48E0-BD56-0A0996EB8F07.jpeg

I just finished detailing my partners 2022 Polestar 2 Dual Motor with Performance Package and setting up its adjustable dampers. After a brief track session, I’m impressed with its brakes and handling vs. my former Model 3 Performance on closed courses. An impressive first effort in the EV space.

I’m torn on what to get next; we have a 2021 Model Y Performance coming home after being out for 4 months after being run into by an Uber-it’s going to be sold immediately.

We canceled a Taycan 4S order after seeing the Taycan GTS wagon in person and driving a Taycan Turbo for 300 miles; it’s a beautiful design but the UX is slow/outdated compared to the Google based system in the Polestar-not to mention Tesla.

I’ve ordered both a 22 Model Y-hopefully with the new 4680 battery and castings-and a 22 Model S LR which will have the new Matrix headlights-the MS headlights are really terrible.

Both will need brake upgrades ASAP-Teslas are underdamped (Model 3/Y) and have soft feeling, uninspired brake feel from the factory (whole lineup). But even standard AP is sublime in traffic.

A lot of Volvo switchgear in the cabin, but it’s well assembled. A nice upgrade from her 2019 Golf R DSG.

3EC8FEBF-7FA2-4AAE-92D6-5C3EE32D0066.jpeg

Always something newer and better around the corner. Buy what you can and be happy.

This is in regards to all the Tesla stuff. I've owned 3 teslas, and as soon as I buy one, something better always comes out. It's been the case for all of them. Get the 22 MS, and you'll realize they update something else your car won't have.

It's a car, they come and go. By the looks of it you buy and change cars like underwear so I don't see why waiting for a certain battery or release is a big deal. If it bugs you that something newer is out sell and move onto the new one and take the L in taxes and depreciation. Otherwise be happy with what you have, learned my lesson on that a long time ago. It's the main reason I havent sold my porsche even though I can get 150+ for it today. It's a dumb, endless cycle.

Or just lease.

Always something newer and better around the corner. Buy what you can and be happy.

This is in regards to all the Tesla stuff. I've owned 3 teslas, and as soon as I buy one, something better always comes out. It's been the case for all of them. Get the 22 MS, and you'll realize they update something else your car won't have.

It's a car, they come and go. By the looks of it you buy and change cars like underwear so I don't see why waiting for a certain battery or release is a big deal. If it bugs you that something newer is out sell and move onto the new one and take the L in taxes and depreciation. Otherwise be happy with what you have, learned my lesson on that a long time ago. It's the main reason I havent sold my porsche even though I can get 150+ for it today. It's a dumb, endless cycle.

Or just lease.
For reference, I’m a former automotive designer with 15 years of experience via different programs-including interpretation of forward trend data. For 8 of those 15 years, our households drove company cars that I’d keep 6 months to a year.

Now out of the industry, our flipping out of cars has been strategic:

We sold the Golf R DSG for $40K after paying $46K out the door. It worked
out to $252 per month-far cheaper than a typical Civic lease in our area and far more fun to drive for our particular driving habits. (My wife is actually more experienced on track than I am😂). Also VAG performance products begin to get really pricey after 24 months from a maintenance POV.

We sold the Model 3 Performance for $51K after paying $62K after the EV tax credit, or under $480 per month. Again far cheaper than a ‘performance’ mainstream product lease. We sold both, purchased a MYP and I traded ETH with the balance before ordering her P2.

Some of these musings aren’t just us chasing vanity-the lighter batteries in the Y for example can in theory help with the overly firm ride; the castings can help with simplifying manufacturing as after working on projects that had less than 1mm of variance between panels looking at the misaligned body panels on our Teslas is jarring visually. And as far as braking is concerned, having a brake pedal go soft while approaching a comer @ 110mph isn’t as fun now that I’m older. The MS is far too heavy/fast for its stock brakes.

Lastly the headlights for us are a big deal, as we again like to drive and live on poorly lit roads-I’ve been spoiled with having some really great and uniform lighting patterns on past cars-so this is important for me.

As noted, everyone has their own preferences. But there is absolutely a ‘sweet spot’ to enter a car purchase-due to a myriad of factors.

Last edited:
For reference, I’m a former automotive designer with 15 years of experience via different programs-including interpretation of forward trend data. For 8 of those 15 years, our households drove company cars that I’d keep 6 months to a year.

Now out of the industry, our flipping out of cars has been strategic:

We sold the Golf R DSG for $40K after paying $46K out the door. It worked
out to $252 per month-far cheaper than a typical Civic lease in our area and far more fun to drive for our particular driving habits. (My wife is actually more experienced on track than I am😂). Also VAG performance products begin to get really pricey after 24 months from a maintenance POV.

We sold the Model 3 Performance for $51K after paying $62K after the EV tax credit, or under $480 per month. Again far cheaper than a ‘performance’ mainstream product lease. We sold both, purchased a MYP and I traded ETH with the balance before ordering her P2.

Some of these musings aren’t just us chasing vanity-the lighter batteries in the Y for example can in theory help with the overly firm ride; the castings can help with simplifying manufacturing as after working on projects that had less than 1mm of variance between panels looking at the misaligned body panels on our Teslas is jarring visually. And as far as braking is concerned, having a brake pedal go soft while approaching a comer @ 110mph isn’t as fun now that I’m older. The MS is far too heavy/fast for its stock brakes.

Lastly the headlights for us are a big deal, as we again like to drive and live on poorly lit roads-I’ve been spoiled with having some really great and uniform lighting patterns on past cars-so this is important for me.

As noted, everyone has their own preferences. But there is absolutely a ‘sweet spot’ to enter a car purchase-due to a myriad of factors.
I get it, I sold my MX because of the legacy screen to get the new MS, and now I have legacy headlights. :lol:

Not a dealbreaker for me though, the car is lovely and one of the greatest cars I’ve ever owned. Of course the outdated headlights and taillights bug me, but not enough to sell the car and wait for a new one. The taillights remind me of the ones from my 2012 Panamera, which the entire world agrees are pretty bad.

I get it, I sold my MX because of the legacy screen to get the new MS, and now I have legacy headlights. :lol:

Not a dealbreaker for me though, the car is lovely and one of the greatest cars I’ve ever owned. Of course the outdated headlights and taillights bug me, but not enough to sell the car and wait for a new one. The taillights remind me of the ones from my 2012 Panamera, which the entire world agrees are pretty bad.
We Turo'd a Red Plaid in LA for a week and I loved the car. (So did the Lucid dealership we stopped by in Beverly Hills which was interesting.) Its an amazing machine outside of the issues I noted. While from a design/finer points of 'pure driving machine' POV the Porsche is lovely, but falls down in daily commuting duties. I am leaning on just adding a front 6 piston brake kit along with stainless steel cables to help with the pedal feel/brake fade.

The wider fenders give the MS real presence on the road, which doesn't translate as effectively in photos. Around LA the headlights were fine IMHO.

We Turo'd a Red Plaid in LA for a week and I loved the car. (So did the Lucid dealership we stopped by in Beverly Hills which was interesting.) Its an amazing machine outside of the issues I noted. While from a design/finer points of 'pure driving machine' POV the Porsche is lovely, but falls down in daily commuting duties. I am leaning on just adding a front 6 piston brake kit along with stainless steel cables to help with the pedal feel/brake fade.

The wider fenders give the MS real presence on the road, which doesn't translate as effectively in photos. Around LA the headlights were fine IMHO.

I also checked out the Lucid before the MS and obviously the Taycan, as Porsche ownership is very pleasant. Lucid exterior didn't do it for me.

I was pretty dead-set on the Taycan. I even picked up a SR+ Model 3, because I knew I would need autopilot once I sold my MX. After driving the Taycan back to back with the MS, it was difficult for me to see the value-proposition on it (in my situation it would have been a Taycan 4s). I think from the exterior the Taycan is one of the nicest cars on the road. But living in LA, you eventually get bored of anything that's not a million dollar car because they start popping up everywhere around you, even the worst of neighborhoods. I love that the S looks different, but you can't quite tell how or why with the wider fenders.

Tesla has been good to me, in fact the FSD/Autopilot has been the key dealbreaker in me straying away because I have such a long commute. In the spur of the moment I decided that I would go with the Model S, and I am so happy I did. To get the same 0-60 from a Taycan you would need to be spending at least 160k, and I think as you said, the UI would still leave a lot to be desired. Shame they didn't improve brakes as you mentioned, but I guess they needed an excuse to sell a 20k BBK. The UP BBK seems to be a lot better value or even the Mountain Pass kit. Considering i'm inside the car more than I am outside looking-in, I think I made the best decision for the money.

Still love everything Porsche, nothing is gonna change that.

I also checked out the Lucid before the MS and obviously the Taycan, as Porsche ownership is very pleasant. Lucid exterior didn't do it for me.

I was pretty dead-set on the Taycan. I even picked up a SR+ Model 3, because I knew I would need autopilot once I sold my MX. After driving the Taycan back to back with the MS, it was difficult for me to see the value-proposition on it (in my situation it would have been a Taycan 4s). I think from the exterior the Taycan is one of the nicest cars on the road. But living in LA, you eventually get bored of anything that's not a million dollar car because they start popping up everywhere around you, even the worst of neighborhoods. I love that the S looks different, but you can't quite tell how or why with the wider fenders.

Tesla has been good to me, in fact the FSD/Autopilot has been the key dealbreaker in me straying away because I have such a long commute. In the spur of the moment I decided that I would go with the Model S, and I am so happy I did. To get the same 0-60 from a Taycan you would need to be spending at least 160k, and I think as you said, the UI would still leave a lot to be desired. Shame they didn't improve brakes as you mentioned, but I guess they needed an excuse to sell a 20k BBK. The UP BBK seems to be a lot better value or even the Mountain Pass kit. Considering i'm inside the car more than I am outside looking-in, I think I made the best decision for the money.

You’re gonna make me get a MS 😒 lol

Been lurking this thread when I pop over to NT whenever I have a slower day.
We put down the $1,000 deposit on a new I4 - dealer says time line looks like late Q4 2022 or Q1 2023...we'll see. We're not in a huge rush but it'll be replacing a 2012 Prius and is our first electric...it'll be my wife's, so she's designing.

Build looks to be something like this:
i4 w/ M Sport design.
Dravit Grey Metalic; 19 in rims; black vernasca leather w/ open pore fine wood oak grain trim.

Options:
Parking assistance
Premium Package
Adaptive M Suspension
Front ventilated seats
Iconic sounds
Wireless charging
Harmon Kardon
Driver Recorder

Taycans a a bit more rare here in Seattle (tech folks curiously seem to buy Mclarens with their stock grants more than any other high end sports car) and I’ve seen one GTS wagon on the road-it has real presence, but as you mentioned-its value vs. performance proposal begins to fall apart when you remove the combustion engine.

I’m a bit concerned about the strength of the 21 inch rims, but I was planning on adding some Signature forged wheels to the MS anyway. All in all, with the hatchback, it’s a really good value when modded. Thankfully Tesla service seems good with basic alterations.

The Lucid my former colleague let us drive was amazing (its cab forward proportions look better in natural sunlight on the street-very French inspired) but already had software issues that still haven’t been resolved. She loves it, and it seems like a cool company to work for, but the lack of a hatch and field support was a dealbreaker for us.

The Plaid is hilariously fast. We were able to secure a revised GT-R Nismo for a brief comparison and drove Mulholland Drive for some spirited driving. While the Nissan was able to close the gap considerably in corners, straightaways were hilariously lopsided in favor of Tesla. All being said, my partner drove back to LA in comfort and spent $2.45 in electricity, while I had to spend $62 in premium gasoline for the same mileage that day. All while battling a very hot and tramlining sports car with a CD based navigation system.

I do not miss ICE cars.

Back
Top Bottom