\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

What are you talking about? Quality in the past? Their only car was built in the early 80s, in Ireland during a war, by a totally different company then who owns it now. If you actually google DMC, they are in Houston, been there for many years and build new Delorean DMC-12s if anyone wants one with parts they have. Really hard (and unfair frankly) to compare the only car from 40 years ago to today with today's technology, materials, craftsmanship and overall quality. The new cars will be impressive. I even gather better than Teslas, which honestly, their build quality is severely lacking (not knocking the tech as that's impressive), and from owners who have said, sucks.
While I do see a lot of standard 1rst tier supplier stuff in the Delorean, I’d wait and see if they are able to even get this to
production, let alone having the panel gap tolerances that people seem critical of in Teslas (but not so much S550 Mustangs, for some odd reason) before placing that wager.

And on a unrelated note-I just re-read the specs. With that battery size, that thing is going to be heavy.

Last edited:
While I do see a lot of standard 1rst tier supplier stuff in the Delorean, I’d wait and see if they are able to even get this to
production, let alone having the panel gap tolerances that people seem critical of in Teslas (but not so much S550 Mustangs, for some odd reason) before placing that wager.

And on a unrelated note-I just re-read the specs. With that battery size, that thing is going to be heavy.
mustang and tesla price points are a big difference :lol:

one is a muscle car where the only thing that matters is burnouts

where as a tesla aims to market itself as a luxury electric vehicle but not luxurious at all to me tbh

where as a tesla aims to market itself as a luxury electric vehicle but not luxurious at all to me tbh
The Model 3 is a mass market electric sedan.

The Mustang is a mass market sports car.

Both have similar price deltas from base to top spec versions. (Actually the Mustang has a larger one base model to fully loaded spec but I digress.)

But-sports car buyers tend to be more ‘aware’ of their perspective vehicles from a ‘worship’ POV.

So again, I thought the non mention of panel gap integrity-especially when the gen 5 Camaro had concept car quality panel gap measurements (that was a big deal during my time at GM) in comparison by media, and eventually by enthusiasts.

I’ll leave the comments of ‘luxury’ alone. From my design experience, Tesla isn’t following the ‘traditional’ luxury pathway. Which is fine.

Last edited:
Yeah, stuff like that shouldn’t happen. At least it’s easy to fix.

You guys want to see poor quality new semi trucks are hot garbage. Spend 250k on one and it blows a turbo in a month, doors aren’t aligned and don’t shut properly so they are loud on the highway.

Best part was the hood was too close to the air intake and it sucked in the hood and broke it. :lol:

The Model 3 is a mass market electric sedan.

The Mustang is a mass market sports car.

Both have similar price deltas from base to top spec versions. (Actually the Mustang has a larger one base model to fully loaded spec but I digress.)

But-sports car buyers tend to be more ‘aware’ of their perspective vehicles from a ‘worship’ POV.

So again, I thought the non mention of panel gap integrity-especially when the gen 5 Camaro had concept car quality panel gap measurements (that was a big deal during my time at GM) in comparison by media, and eventually by enthusiasts.

I’ll leave the comments of ‘luxury’ alone. From my design experience, Tesla isn’t following the ‘traditional’ luxury pathway. Which is fine.
they have similar price details but i don't think they should be compared

for me as a consumer if i'm copping a lower model tesla i still expect the quality of the higher prices tesla cars but in a smaller package

like if im buying an audi a4 i expect the same quality of the a8 but in a smaller package

the mustang buyers imo are not expecting the same quality from my perspective

I get your point but i personally don't think those cars should be compared.
and people love to bash tesla panel gap i'm guessing because the fan boys who praise teslas can get annoying so they look for any fault in the vehicle to bash :lol:

Panel gaps and paint issues aren’t really indicators of ‘quality’ but I get why some enthusiasts will be swayed by the lack of integrity in that area. Hyundai is probably the best mainstream OEM I’ve seen in that area during tear downs, those cars suffered from well known mechanical issues.

Audi quality has been good for me. Same with vw.

Sq5 TEARS through water pumps though. 3 in a year. But it doesn’t really matter to us since we know the dealer and it’s always free.

If we had to take it in on our own dime or lived away from the dealer I’d be heated though.

Yeah, stuff like that shouldn’t happen. At least it’s easy to fix.

You guys want to see poor quality new semi trucks are hot garbage. Spend 250k on one and it blows a turbo in a month, doors aren’t aligned and don’t shut properly so they are loud on the highway.

Best part was the hood was too close to the air intake and it sucked in the hood and broke it. :lol:

What an Amazing Machine. BUILT MERICAN TOUGH.

they have similar price details but i don't think they should be compared

for me as a consumer if i'm copping a lower model tesla i still expect the quality of the higher prices tesla cars but in a smaller package

like if im buying an audi a4 i expect the same quality of the a8 but in a smaller package

the mustang buyers imo are not expecting the same quality from my perspective

I get your point but i personally don't think those cars should be compared.
and people love to bash tesla panel gap i'm guessing because the fan boys who praise teslas can get annoying so they look for any fault in the vehicle to bash :lol:
Data during my time there indicated that in the sports car segment, buyers are more likely to hand wash, wax, and generally take care of their vehicles than mass market sedan buyers.

So as a result, those buyers tend to be very critical of their objects of desires (i.e. more ‘educated/critical’ vs those who want in some cases, tech focused transportation)

This isn’t speculative on my part. I only rely on data from a large group of consumers. I think some removal of bias helps me really get through information effectively to become a better designer.

The omission of panel gap integrity-especially in light of a very well known competitor that has none of those issues, who is actually world class in that regard (Camaro) is curious and judging by the stories I’ve heard about automotive media-probably intentional. Ford spends a lot of money on communications and advertising purchasing.

I’m only comparing the mention/omission of panel gap integrity of two very heavily reviewed products (we can go broader-there are a number of Ford products that suffer from noticeable gaps btw) via media that might be an influence (naturally) on the car enthusiasts public.

Last edited:
Took an hour out today & detailed the undercarriage of the car so the bottom matches the top. I do this once a year around summer to maintain the bottom. Used a little corroseal on the nuts & bolts that develop surface rust(that Northeast life) & wiped it clean. I love the fact that I got my headers jetcoated. Little to no dirt on em & they are smooth to the touch.
20220531_114815.jpg
20220531_122659.jpg
20220531_122742.jpg
20220531_122829.jpg
20220531_122918.jpg
20220531_122902.jpg
20220531_122924.jpg
20220531_123433.jpg

Actually the DeLorean Motor Company still exists and had been in business for many years. They basically bought the intellectual rights and all property from the prior owners and have been selling replacement parts and servicing old DMC-12s for years. They actually have so much spare parts they can built somewhere around 30,000 new cars if someone wants a brand new car. 👍
Yep, in High School they were located in Sugarland Tx just outside Houston. I remember going to church and seeing a parking lot full of them. Pops randomly decided to go check it out since he knew how much loved BTTF. Massive warehouse with oem parts manufactured in the OG Delorean Plant in the 80's. Last I heard they relocated to Humble Tx.

Data during my time there indicated that in the sports car segment, buyers are more likely to hand wash, wax, and generally take care of their vehicles than mass market sedan buyers.

So as a result, those buyers tend to be very critical of their objects of desires (i.e. more ‘educated/critical’ vs those who want in some cases, tech focused transportation)

This isn’t speculative on my part. I only rely on data from a large group of consumers. I think some removal of bias helps me really get through information effectively to become a better designer.

The admission of panel gap integrity-especially in light of a very well known competitor that has none of those issues, but is world class in that regard-is curious and judging by the stories I’ve heard about automotive media-probably intentional. Ford spends a lot of money on communications and advertising purchasing.

I’m only comparing the mention/omission of panel gap integrity of two very heavily reviewed products (we can go broader-there are a number of Ford products that suffer from noticeable gaps btw) via media that might be an influence (naturally) on the car enthusiasts public.

i understand your perspective

and appreciate the perspective u bring to this thread as someone in the industry

i understand your perspective

and appreciate the perspective u bring to this thread as someone in the industry
If I haven’t already, I want to express that I appreciate and understand all enthusiasts on this platform. The automotive industry can be very insular, in its thinking and conclusions, so hearing all perspectives is both refreshing and enlightening.

Took an hour out today & detailed the undercarriage of the car so the bottom matches the top. I do this once a year around summer to maintain the bottom. Used a little corroseal on the nuts & bolts that develop surface rust(that Northeast life) & wiped it clean. I love the fact that I got my headers jetcoated. Little to no dirt on em & they are smooth to the touch.
20220531_114815.jpg
20220531_122659.jpg
20220531_122742.jpg
20220531_122829.jpg
20220531_122918.jpg
20220531_122902.jpg
20220531_122924.jpg
20220531_123433.jpg

I really appreciate your pictures and what you bring to this thread. I wish more people cared about their vehicles the way you care about yours.

I really appreciate your pictures and what you bring to this thread. I wish more people cared about their vehicles the way you care about yours.
Thanks bro, I appreciate that 👍- you made my day 😊. I try to put in the effort to maintain it the best I can & as close as possible to factory-new condition. For me personally proper detailing is an art & it is therapeutic. Keeps me busy & the car squeaky clean. A clean car is a happy car. Plus when you pay so much for something & are so attached to it you hate to see it dirty.

Tesla fool people with the technology inside the car with that big screen….those car are so cheap looking inside and out. I always chuckle when Tesla owners talk to me about how they love the luxury feel 😂.

I’m on a Tesla model Y FB group, and the questions people ask make it seem like they’ve never owned a car before lol. In terms of quality issues it seems like people are really nit picky. Yes the MYP is a $70k car but it would probably cost less than half that if it had a gas engine. I know I paid for the drivetrain and the tech, so I don’t care that the lip spoiler was coming loose on one side.

Back
Top Bottom