\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

My boy is rolling a built 1990 300zx, evo mr, Land Rover with a small block swap and he doesn’t wash none of them. :lol: He has built all those cars himself too. He can pull and rebuild a 300zx motor in a weekend.

Just run those through the touchless wash once in a blue moon and call it good. :lol:

I’m not much for cleaning my cars either.

Working on cars is far less enjoyable than washing imo :lol:

The wash is sort of peaceful at least and you know nothing major is going to go wrong

With that said, I've been driving a beater and it gets washed about once a year :lol:

They just leaking oil? It’s not a big job on most cars.
Leaking oil into my alternator apparently. Shop recommends replacing covers, gaskets, hose valves, pct valve, pct o ring, spark plugs, drive belts, alternator.

That sound about right?

Anyone in particular mechanically inclined? I’m running into an issue and want to know if valve covers are as extensive as the shop is recommending…
Are you sure it's the covers themselves and not the gasket?

And did you mean expensive? That's gonna be car dependent and so too will be labor. For the most part, it's a relatively simple job, just a little time consuming depending on how much stuff is in the way. If you're gonna have a shop do it, you might as well have them change your plugs and coils too, because there more than likely will be oil in there and they're gonna have them exposed anyway.

edit:

Leaking oil into my alternator apparently. Shop recommends replacing covers, gaskets, hose valves, pct valve, pct o ring, spark plugs, drive belts, alternator.

That sound about right?
Depends where the leak is coming from, It could just a new gasket that's needed. And I'm assuming you mean pcv valve? That is probably just preventative maintenance they are recommending because it's going to be exposed when they're working on it so you might as well replace it. Drive belts will need to be replaced if oil is on them. The alternator needing to be replaced sounds a little excessive. That's gonna be your priciest part. Is it no longer working? Do you have a voltmeter? You can easily check to see if it's doing its job.

Last edited:
Yeah I mean tbh that sounds fair.

Like young wolf said oil probably got in the spark plugs and while they’re in there they’ll just do more preventative stuff while it’s apart.

youngwolf youngwolf mplsdunk mplsdunk I appreciate the insight. I guess it makes sense. I was thinking they could just replace the alternator and gaskets on each side. While they’re in there it would make sense to cover the bases. Total comes to over $2.6k, labor almost half of that.

Bro, PLEASE do not pay that. That is ridiculous.

Unless the valve cover is cracked, it doesn't need replacing. The alternator should not need replacing unless it's not working. Belts, gaskets, pcv valves and hoses, and spark plugs are cheap. Coils can get expensive depending on how many you need and the whether you want to go OEM.

Go get a second opinion and don't tell them about the other shop and the price they gave you until you get a quote from them.

Last edited:
rather do it myself, more of a cleansing of the mind for me tho..luckily my detailer is around the corner from my crib, so each whip gets a special wash/wax etc every few of months or so

not gon lie, as it gets hotter in AZ the less and less I wanna do it :lol:
Def cleansing & therapeutic for the mind. Speaking of AZ I love how when people talk about AZ & Vegas & say "Oh, it's just dry heat nothing to worry about" meanwhile the thermometer is hovering at 115+ degrees...I mean at some point no matter wet or dry- heat is heat & it's going to be hot af, lol.

This plate was creative :lol:
20220602_183348.jpg

2.6k is wild expensive.

I’d go oem coils if you need them but I’d just replace the plugs first. Coils are easy to replace.

plansb plansb
zmaqbool zmaqbool
njavier03 njavier03

And all other self washing car guys , have you used FW1 or Shine Armour waterless wash before? I got both as gift a while back but still didn’t use it because I hadn’t done research on waterless wash and wax products

plansb plansb
zmaqbool zmaqbool
njavier03 njavier03

And all other self washing car guys , have you used FW1 or Shine Armour waterless wash before? I got both as gift a while back but still didn’t use it because I hadn’t done research on waterless wash and wax products
I haven't used the 2 you mentioned but I do use Adam's waterless wash. It's really good stuff. It takes water spots right out & no residue left behind.

F07B9C7F-A286-4551-894F-6E37E73D1D1A.jpeg

I’m at the self car wash about once a week, and can’t wait until I get a house so I can wash my car everyday, because it’s so relaxing on the mind to do it yourself.

Sadly after I drove off the car got dirty 😂, stupid black paint for you.
Looks so sexy. I love Z cars. You're trading it in for the new Supra right? When?

Looks so sexy. I love Z cars. You're trading it in for the new Supra right? When?
It’s the plan but didn’t get a good offer from carvana, vroom or carmax, that make it worth it yet. Plus the cheapest used Supra in my area, I seen was about 55-61k. Market still too high so I’ll just wait it out and revisit my plan in a couple of months. But as much I look at my car, kinda wanna just keep it and get my income up so I can have both lol.

It’s the plan but didn’t get a good offer from carvana, vroom or carmax, that make it worth it yet. Plus the cheapest used Supra in my area, I seen was about 55-61k. Market still too high so I’ll just wait it out and revisit my plan in a couple of months. But as much I look at my car, kinda wanna just keep it and get my income up so I can have both lol.
That's a great idea. Wish you all the best with it & get that $. If I were you I'd keep the car & simultaneously get my resume out & try to get more $ in your field. Once that all falls into place who knows you might even just get a GT-R 🤷‍♂️

Def cleansing & therapeutic for the mind. Speaking of AZ I love how when people talk about AZ & Vegas & say "Oh, it's just dry heat nothing to worry about" meanwhile the thermometer is hovering at 115+ degrees...I mean at some point no matter wet or dry- heat is heat & it's going to be hot af, lol.

yea its pretty brutal here, esp having came from the OC in CA, ill tell you it def makes me miss trees and grass, theres barely any of that here :lol:
good thing here is everywhere has AC, so its not like you spend hella time in the sun unless you want too.
I dont miss those NY summers tho, man i can still smell the sewage from the streets :lol:

yea its pretty brutal here, esp having came from the OC in CA, ill tell you it def makes me miss trees and grass, theres barely any of that here :lol:
good thing here is everywhere has AC, so its not like you spend hella time in the sun unless you want too.
I dont miss those NY summers tho, man i can still smell the sewage from the streets :lol:
Agree I don’t miss that NYC summer humidity :sick:…. I still have nightmares of the summer heat waiting for the train, back when I used to ride the mta:sick:

AZ got some beautiful scenery man. Cactus & desert with mountains & canyons 🔥. The sewage has gotten worse & the sidewalks are so frikkin stinky this time of year with all that garbage juice baking in the sun for hours at a time 🤢. I still love it though(nyc, not the garbage) + I am a hot weather person so it's all good.
Agree I don’t miss that NYC summer humidity :sick:…. I still have nightmares of the summer heat waiting for the train, back when I used to ride the mta:sick:
Man I rmbr them days. It was especially bad underground because all that heat from the tracks & train has nowhere to go.

plansb plansb
zmaqbool zmaqbool
njavier03 njavier03

I have not, but I’ve used Adam’s waterless a couple of times after recently washing to get ready for a car meet.

plansb plansb
zmaqbool zmaqbool
njavier03 njavier03

I haven't used any waterless car wash on my Mustang. I'll take the time, get my pressure washer out & 22.2 foam Cannon and take the time needed to wash it. It's very relaxing. Maybe one day I'll try some of those washes.

Back
Top Bottom