\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

i always find it funny when people claim that BMW or other German cars are "unreliable". there will always be some level of maintenance, but you should expect that cars with more features/amenities and more powerful and complex powertrains and transmissions will require more maintenance than a 4cyl honda civic. those that claim lack of reliability are typically those that don't follow service intervals, dont allow the car to reach appropriate oil temps before beating on it, opt to use conventional vs synthetic to save money, or hell dont even change their oil. not saying that there aren't cars with faults, but the stigma is largely based on poor ownership habits.

i had a co-worker that would bash VW bc her new jetta broke down. come to find out that she didn't change the oil...ever. she went and bought an accord, thinking it would be more "reliable"......
:lol: i laughed cuz i dont know what generation of bmw this was but ppl were complaining of cracking plastic parts breaking down i think as part of the cooling system

in terms of reliability i don't think anything is touching a chevy v8 and even a supercharged chevy v8 will outperform and outlast anything else

Then don't be surprised if you need tires sooner than normal. My dad's 85, lifelong auto mechanic and still to this day works on classic cars for his buddies. He told me when I was little, when doing oil changes at (at the time 3k, now 5k with synthetic) normal intervals, to also rotate your tires. Distributes the wear.

If you are doing your own oil change on a lift, the time is nothing. While the motor is cooling off, (trust me changing HOT motor oil is NOT pleasant) you can start with rotating the tires. If the motor is cool (sat for a while beforehand) while the oil is draining you can rotate them. Literally takes less than 10 minutes with an impact gun to get the lugs off & move them around.

And granted, some cars you can't rotate tires. Be it staggered sizes front & back, or they are unidirectional. But on vehicles that have same sizes all around, it should be done every oil change.
this is my logic

why would i rotate tires every 5-10k miles and waste time
when instead i can let the two front or two rear wear down at the same time therefore i only need to change 2 tires at a time
but when u rotate ur gunna have to buy 4 tires
and technically ur tires don't last longer when u rotate them
ur just distributing the wear evenly, but that does nothing for me nor for performance nor does it save money so what is the advantage?

Basically it's like wearing 1 pair of shoes the whole year vs rotating between 4 pairs the whole year. You distribute the wear and it stays less worn longer

Basically it's like wearing 1 pair of shoes the whole year vs rotating between 4 pairs the whole year. You distribute the wear and it stays less worn longer

Sorta but it’s also like your right shoe wears faster than the left so swapping them makes them last longer.

The driven wheels wear significantly faster so switching them means you’ll get more miles out of the set of 4.

Sorta but it’s also like your right shoe wears faster than the left so swapping them makes them last longer.

The driven wheels wear significantly faster so switching them means you’ll get more miles out of the set of 4.
so how is that an advantage?
when i can change maximize getting the amount off of 2 tires
and then change 2 tires at a time instead of 4
im still netting the same amount of miles on all 4 but saving time on the rotation

this is my logic

why would i rotate tires every 5-10k miles and waste time
when instead i can let the two front or two rear wear down at the same time therefore i only need to change 2 tires at a time
but when u rotate ur gunna have to buy 4 tires
and technically ur tires don't last longer when u rotate them
ur just distributing the wear evenly, but that does nothing for me nor for performance nor does it save money so what is the advantage?

You must have missed where I said it doesn't apply to vehicles that use staggered sizes or unidirectional, because I did state that. Yes, you can go side to side. But rotating on a car that uses 4 of the same sizes (my Mustang uses 235/50ZR18s all around) is the right ol😕🥹play. Why would I want to have 2 good tires and 2 shot tires? Car will handle like ****. And by buying 2 only, you are just delaying the inevitable of 2 more later. It's not saving you any money.

Don't take this the wrong way & no disrespect, but I'll listen to my dad, who can fix basically any vehicle from 1900 to the early 2000s (need software for the new stuff) over anyone else. I watched the guy literally rebuild a Model T from pieces he found in someone's garage and also built a "backwards" parade car, just by messing around and seeing one on Motor week when I was maybe 12, over anyone else. He's the smartest man I know and can fix ANYTHING!! 👍

He's a interesting story why, to me, my dad knows his ****! Some guy bought a BEAUTIFUL antique Chrysler T&C from the Hershey auction back in September of 2003. I believe it was a '49, but can't remember as that was he time I was going through liver failure and was put on the organ donor waiting list. Car presented well but wasn't running right. Someone at the Hershey auction told the seller to call my dad. He said he'd look at it. It was shipped down (we are about an hour and a half away...75 miles) and he was checking it out.

Turned out to be nothing crazy and easy fix (for him and he called the new owner and said it could be picked up). Now by the time he was done with it I had gotten the call that a donor liver was available and I was at the top of the list. By the time I got out of the hospital (about 2 weeks IIRC, as my mind was elsewhere). I asked him if the T&C was picked up. He said no yet but a fully enclosed carrier was coming. Horseless Carriage! 😱

He got the call on a Saturday I believe a week after I got him. I asked to go with him. He didn't want me to, as I had about 90 staples that closed my abdominal wall and upper torso. I insisted. When we get there, he told me to wait in the car (pickup was down the road at a church that had a large open parking lot). He came back and said "You gotta see what's inside.Two Ferraris and an older Maserati". Fun morning, even if I couldn't move very well. But some guy who didn't know my dad who paid a lot for this car at the time trusted him enough to send it to fix. Yeah, my dad is INCREDIBLE!

Last edited:
Say what you want but I love this thing
IMG_9728.jpeg
IMG_9721.jpeg
IMG_9723.jpeg

its not buying them 2 times more
i can't believe yall don't get what im saying :lol:

If you’re buying 2 tires at a time and I’m buying 4 tires at a time you're buying tires twice as often

Researching prices twice, placing two orders, making two appointments to get mounted and balanced, etc

vs 10 mins to rotate tires 6-10x over their useful lives and doing all of the above once

Pure time perspective it's a wash at best and maybe saves time TO rotate :lol:

i always find it funny when people claim that BMW or other German cars are "unreliable". there will always be some level of maintenance, but you should expect that cars with more features/amenities and more powerful and complex powertrains and transmissions will require more maintenance than a 4cyl honda civic. those that claim lack of reliability are typically those that don't follow service intervals, dont allow the car to reach appropriate oil temps before beating on it, opt to use conventional vs synthetic to save money, or hell dont even change their oil. not saying that there aren't cars with faults, but the stigma is largely based on poor ownership habits.

i had a co-worker that would bash VW bc her new jetta broke down. come to find out that she didn't change the oil...ever. she went and bought an accord, thinking it would be more "reliable"......

Idk... while I agree to a certain extent BMW has put out a lot of flat out unreliable stuff over the years :lol: Can vary a lot from platform to platform

But yeah, more generally people don't know how to maintain vehicles and a BMW won't hide mistakes as well a Toyota

Also think a lot of times reliability gets conflated with repairs costs. More expensive parts and labor doesn't necessarily mean less reliable

You must have missed where I said it doesn't apply to vehicles that use staggered sizes or unidirectional, because I did state that. Yes, you can go side to side. But rotating on a car that uses 4 of the same sizes (my Mustang uses 235/50ZR18s all around) is the right ol😕🥹play. Why would I want to have 2 good tires and 2 shot tires? Car will handle like ****. And by buying 2 only, you are just delaying the inevitable of 2 more later. It's not saving you any money.

Don't take this the wrong way & no disrespect, but I'll listen to my dad, who can fix basically any vehicle from 1900 to the early 2000s (need software for the new stuff) over anyone else. I watched the guy literally rebuild a Model T from pieces he found in someone's garage and also built a "backwards" parade car, just by messing around and seeing one on Motor week when I was maybe 12, over anyone else. He's the smartest man I know and can fix ANYTHING!! 👍

He's a interesting story why, to me, my dad knows his ****! Some guy bought a BEAUTIFUL antique Chrysler T&C from the Hershey auction back in September of 2003. I believe it was a '49, but can't remember as that was he time I was going through liver failure and was put on the organ donor waiting list. Car presented well but wasn't running right. Someone at the Hershey auction told the seller to call my dad. He said he'd look at it. It was shipped down (we are about an hour and a half away...75 miles) and he was checking it out.

Turned out to be nothing crazy and easy fix (for him and he called the new owner and said it could be picked up). Now by the time he was done with it I had gotten the call that a donor liver was available and I was at the top of the list. By the time I got out of the hospital (about 2 weeks IIRC, as my mind was elsewhere). I asked him if the T&C was picked up. He said no yet but a fully enclosed carrier was coming. Horseless Carriage! 😱

He got the call on a Saturday I believe a week after I got him. I asked to go with him. He didn't want me to, as I had about 90 staples that closed my abdominal wall and upper torso. I insisted. When we get there, he told me to wait in the car (pickup was down the road at a church that had a large open parking lot). He came back and said "You gotta see what's inside.Two Ferraris and an older Maserati". Fun morning, even if I couldn't move very well. But some guy who didn't know my dad who paid a lot for this car at the time trusted him enough to send it to fix. Yeah, my dad is INCREDIBLE!
i respect that about your dad
but i think its easier to just let it ride, technically each tire has a certain amount of mileage it'll give you whether its on a non drive axle, awd car, or on a drive axle so to me that makes more sense.

If you’re buying 2 tires at a time and I’m buying 4 tires at a time you're buying tires twice as often

Researching prices twice, placing two orders, making two appointments to get mounted and balanced, etc

vs 10 mins to rotate tires 6-10x over their useful lives and doing all of the above once

Pure time perspective it's a wash at best and maybe saves time TO rotate :lol:
i rather buy 2 at a time tbh :lol:

Idk... while I agree to a certain extent BMW has put out a lot of flat out unreliable stuff over the years :lol: Can vary a lot from platform to platform

But yeah, more generally people don't know how to maintain vehicles and a BMW won't hide mistakes as well a Toyota

Also think a lot of times reliability gets conflated with repairs costs. More expensive parts and labor doesn't necessarily mean less reliable
100%

no one wants to pay for the required maintenance which when neglected compound issues

You’re a 911 guy so you would know better than most…. How’s the steering? That’s all I hear about is how amazing the steer by wire is in the CT. Can you compare the two?
The steer by wire is amazing. Definitely takes some getting used to. Initially you want to try and take big wide turns but you really don’t need to with it. The turning radius is surprisingly tight in a good way. You can make a full right turn barely turning the wheel. The handling is not that great. It’s still a massive car and you feel every bit of the 3+tons when you’re driving. It’s nothing compared to the 911. The 992 is much more responsive and you know exactly what it’s gonna do every time. But overall the cybertruck is a very easy car to drive. Just don’t expect to be a great track car or on backroads. But getting from point a to b is a breeze I almost forget I’m driving.

Back
Top Bottom