Post Your Sunglasses : Vol. Spring is here Summer is close

Originally Posted by isitsafe

Originally Posted by kdawg

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

8da15e4464f2b88575c2ff12981e4f428a27aa5.jpg

5 bucks.. New Orleans French Quarter flea market.
What scares me with those sorts of things is the fact that they are a dark lens with no guarantee of UV protection - which is actually worse than not wearing sunglasses at all (because your pupils dilate behind the lens so let in more UV) and can increase your risk of cataracts, eye cancer...

Just the eye guy in me thinking though - I think a lot more about protection of eyes than most people - and that's why all the sunglasses I have for sale are at least 10x that.

All sunglasses have to provide some sort of UV protection.  But LV Evidence Lenses are made of the same stuff that Telescopes that they look at OUTERSPACE are made of!!!
No. They don't. Replica sunglasses at the swapmeets provide no UV protection at all. They just offer funny styled sunglasses.

Originally Posted by isitsafe

Originally Posted by kdawg

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

8da15e4464f2b88575c2ff12981e4f428a27aa5.jpg

5 bucks.. New Orleans French Quarter flea market.
What scares me with those sorts of things is the fact that they are a dark lens with no guarantee of UV protection - which is actually worse than not wearing sunglasses at all (because your pupils dilate behind the lens so let in more UV) and can increase your risk of cataracts, eye cancer...

Just the eye guy in me thinking though - I think a lot more about protection of eyes than most people - and that's why all the sunglasses I have for sale are at least 10x that.

All sunglasses have to provide some sort of UV protection.  But LV Evidence Lenses are made of the same stuff that Telescopes that they look at OUTERSPACE are made of!!!
Now you're just making things up. All sunglasses should provide UV protection - but unscrupulous manufacturers make them as cheaply as possible and many cheap sunglasses (especially things like counterfeit Oakleys) have very poor UV protection.

Interestingly for a sunglass lens to be classed as "100% UV blocking" it only has to block something like 95% of UVA and 90% of UVB (can't remember the exact numbers - but it's not 100%) but Oakley mak it one of their things that their lenses block 100% of all harmful light. You do pay something extra for their style but a lot of the increased cost is because of that and the fact that all of their sunglasses (even the "flimsiest" metal ones") exceed the toughest safety standard - that surprised me when I found that out. I expected it of their goggly looking sunglasses - but not every model.

Got the Paul Smith by Oliver Peoples PS-815 aviators at Loehmanns (for 93.98 - 99.99+15%offcoupon + CA tax) Retail 300+ Made in Japan.  Salesman gave me a Paul Smith case(not sure if it is the original one). The 15% off printable coupon is on their website - good til tomorrow Sun 5/02/10.

http://www.loehmanns.com/...fRegPricedItem-SP10.aspx

They have other brands and styles. Not my pics below, but the same exact pair.

I need a pair of aviators, however i cant seem to find the ones that fit my style, and actually work for me. ive been sleeping on this thread.

^ hope you find one soon....try loehmanns if you're looking for a good deal. Gilt online also has some from time to time.

http://online.wsj.com/art...%20Business_IndustryNews
[h1]Sunglass Hut Plans Sleeker Stores [/h1][h2]Luxottica-owned chain opens new flagships in London and New York to help jump start chain's stalled sales[/h2]
[h3]By CHRISTINA PASSARIELLO [/h3]
The opening this week of Sunglass Hut's first two flagship stores in New York and London highlights executives' push to revamp the brand amid stalled sales.

View Full Image
[img]http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/EM-AI400_SUNHUT_D_20100428171432.jpg[/img]
Luxottica
Sunglass Hut's flagship store in New York

[img]http://si.wsj.net/img/BTN_insetClose.gif[/img]
EM-AI400_SUNHUT_G_20100428171432.jpg

The shops -- bigger, trendier and sleeker than Sunglass Hut's regular stores -- are the first of ten such flagships it plans to open within the next three years. Owner Luxottica SpA, which reports earnings Thursday, is also renovating the chain's 2,000 smaller stores and introducing new merchandise more frequently in a bid to woo shoppers who are starting to make small splurges again.

Sunglass Hut Chief Executive Fabio d'Angelantonio says he wants to make the stores a better showcase than drab glasses counters for the shades Luxottica makes for fashion houses such as Prada, Chanel and Polo Ralph Lauren.

"Sunglasses have been sold in optical stores which are borderline pharmacies," says Mr. d'Angelantonio. "But the sunglass world is just pure fashion."

Starting at about $200, designer shades are one of the more affordable items for consumers of high-end fashion, costing less than high-end shoes and bags.

But consumers own far fewer sunglasses than shoes, Mr. d'Angelantonio says, which he believes leaves significant potential for the category to expand if sunglasses are perceived as an essential fashion accessory.

Luxottica dominates the eyewear market with its two divisions: retail, with chains such as Sunglass Hut and LensCrafters; and wholesale, as the owner of brands including Oakley and Ray-Ban as well as the maker of licensed eyewear for fashion brands.

"It basically allows Luxottica to control the entire chain between production and the consumer," says Erwan Rambourg, a luxury-goods analyst with HSBC in London.

But executives say Sunglass Hut sales have flagged over the last year amid the recession and a drab image. Luxottica does not disclose revenue by brand, but Mr. Rambourg estimates Sunglass Hut accounts for about 650 million euros of Luxottica's 5.1 billion euros in sales.

Sunglass Hut's boutiques stretch across what Mr. d'Angelantonio calls "the sun belt" - sun-drenched markets including the U.S., Australia, South Africa, India and Thailand -- as well as cloudier markets including the U.K. and the Netherlands. Of the chain's 2,000 shops, about a quarter have been renovated in the past two years and a quarter are new. Sunglass Hut says it plans to renovate the rest within the next three years.

The new flagships are on a different scale than Sunglass Hut's typically small shop. The New York store on Fifth Avenue, which opened Wednesday, stretches across 6,000 square feet and two floors. The London flagship, scheduled to open Thursday, is equally as high-profile with a location on famed Oxford Street.

The flagships are setting the standard for changes in the smaller Sunglass Hut shops.

Like fast-fashion clothing retailers such as Zara and H&M, which update their collections weekly to draw in consumers, Mr. d'Angelantonio is implementing more frequent changes to the store. New eyewear collections will arrive twice a month during the key spring and summer season, up from four times a year now.

The flagships will also change their look more often thanks to movable modules.

Sunglass Hut is doing away with the look-don't-touch atmosphere of many eyewear shops. Its flagships and renovated stores feature open shelves of shades and full-length mirrors to encourage shoppers to try on the product. In New York and London, shoppers can snap digital pictures of themselves on a computer and send to friends or Facebook.

Luxottica's own brands get a prime position in the new Sunglass Hut stores. Sketches by designers like Prada and Dolce & Gabbana adorn the walls.

Yet Mr. d'Angelantonio keeps Sunglass Hut's door open to competing companies too. Badgley Mischka and Tom Ford produced exclusive designs for the first flagships. The chain stocks several brands made by rival Safilo Group SpA such as Gucci and Dior.

Mr. d'Angelantonio declines to say what percentage of Sunglass Hut's sales are generated by Luxottica eyewear.

I know someone that works at sunglass hut so I can maybe help some of you out

I have no idea what theyre discount is like.

I have a pair of Pradas and a pair of Ray-Ban polarized sunglasses that I always use when I drive.  One time I decided to wear this pair of sunglasses I bought at CVS.  Never again.  My eyes hurt after a few minutes and I just took them off.

man i got $85 to use for a pair of shades at the sunglass hut

im lazy

so NT recommend me some shades

Originally Posted by ISRAEL5EKLA

I know someone that works at sunglass hut so I can maybe help some of you out

I have no idea what theyre discount is like.

my friend used to work for a SH affiliate here in Toronto and they have a 50% emp. discount. Not quite sure about stateside.

Anyhow, SH is expensive anyways. Just buy online.

Anyone know a legit website to get a pair of Gucci 1798? I don't wanna get conned into a fake pair.

[h1]
just a brief recap of which most of you probably already know....

An Eye Opener: Overexposure to UV Rays Can Lead to Eye Diseases
[/h1]
[h2]American Optometric Association encourages simple eye care precautions during sun exposure[/h2]
ST. LOUIS, May 3 /PRNewswire/ -- With summer right around the corner, more people will be spending time outdoors and UV protection will be top of mind.  Unfortunately, most people think about the protection of their skin, when they should also be considering the safety of their eyes. In fact, according to the American Optometric Association's (AOA) American Eye-Q[emoji]174[/emoji] survey, only one-third of Americans said UV protection is the most important factor they consider when purchasing sunglasses. Whether it's cloudy or sunny, summer or winter, the AOA urges Americans to take measures to protect their eyes from the sun's UV rays in order to decrease the risk of eye diseases and disorders.

"Overexposure to UV rays is quite serious and can lead to cataracts, macular degeneration, or, in some cases, skin cancer around the eyelids," said Sarah Hinkley, O.D., the AOA's UV protection expert. "Other disorders that can occur are abnormal growths on the eye's surface and even sunburn of the eyes. These conditions can cause blurred vision, irritation, redness, tearing, temporary vision loss and, in some instances, blindness."

Even more concerning is the lack of awareness surrounding the potential effects of overexposure to UV radiation. According to the American Eye-Q[emoji]174[/emoji] survey, 35 percent of adults are unaware of the eye health risks associated with spending too much time in the sun without the proper protection.

The following top five tips from the American Optometric Association may help prevent eye and vision damage from overexposure to UV radiation:
  1. Wear protective eyewear any time the eyes are exposed to UV rays, even on cloudy days and during the winter.
  2. Look for quality sunglasses or contact lenses that offer good protection.  Sunglasses or protective contact lenses should block 99 to 100 percent of UV-A and UV-B radiation and screen out 75 to 90 percent of visible light.
  3. Check to make sure sunglass lenses are perfectly matched in color and free of distortions or imperfections.
  4. Purchase gray-colored lenses because they reduce light intensity without altering the color of objects to provide the most natural color vision. Brown or amber-colored lenses may be better for those who are visually impaired because they increase contrast as well as reducing light intensity.
  5. Don't forget protection for young children and teenagers, who typically spend more time in the sun than adults and are at a greater risk for damage.

Anyone see/have pics that aren't the stock version on the Ray Ban website of the Ray Ban Wayfarer Shields?

I saw those about a month ago and they look dope, but haven't seen anyone with them or another picture of them since.

Can anyone recommend a pair of shades for someone with a bigger head / face ....nh

Doesnt have to be LV or Gucci just something that wont leave me with lines in the side of my face...

Back
Top Bottom