POST YOUR WATCHES vol. ?

I realize that a lot of this thread focuses on higher end watches, but what are some honest opinions of those in the know of this watch for $119:

376.jpg

Originally Posted by ScarsOrScabs

I realize that a lot of this thread focuses on higher end watches, but what are some honest opinions of those in the know of this watch for $119:

I don't think the thread focuses on high-end watches, or at least that is not the intention, I just get carried away with posting the watches I amaccustomed to.
As for the Citizen, you cannot go wrong with it. The watch feels a bit too cluttered and busy, but then again looks are subjective.
For $120, I say that is a good buy for an everyday watch.

Originally Posted by RFX45

I am adding this to my list...

The new Tag Heuer 500m Aquaracer
What is the retail on it?

I really like the tapestry dial, and I like the technical improvements on the watch from past models. I bought my Aquaracer in 2006, and the only realcomplaint I have about it is the crown being way too small and difficult to use. I like the increase in WR, and I like the addition of the HEV, not that anyrecreational diver will ever have a use for it. Hopefully they switched to a better luminous material. The only thing that I don't understand is the needfor a date magnifier (biting off Rolex?). The movement has remained unchanged (Calibre 5 = ETA 2824-2).

I would probably be more interested in the watch if it had a higher grade ETA movement (2892).

The 2824 can be regulated to stay within chronometer regulations, but it is a cheap movement (~$80). When I first got my Aquaracer, it was running +13 a day. I had Tourneau regulate it down to +5, and was able to keep it spot on by resting it crown down at night. After a while it started losing accuracy and nowruns about -6/-7 a day. I've stopped wearing it altogether since I had my Datejust serviced.

It's a nice watch, but I would really keep in mind the fact that it's a cheap movement, not the most accurate (for an automatic), and you generallytake a depreciation hit immediately. In terms of bang for the buck, it's not a great deal taking all of those factors into consideration. If you can geta hefty discount, I say go for it, or if you don't care about resale value, then who cares?

How do you like the Portuguese? What is the case width and how does it wear on your wrist? (What is your wrist size?)

I have a 7" wrist, and I feel like a 36mm DJ wears fine, as well as the larger Aquaracer (40 mm), but sometimes I feel like the Seiko (42/43mm?) looks alittle goofy on my wrist.

Here's my Aquaracer, and it's horrible lume. Compare it to the lume on the Seiko.

Seiko Black Monster (incredible lume)

On a black nato strap.

The Datejust fresh from service with a refinish of the case/bracelet, new crystal, new crown tube and a movement service. Had them set it a little fast,keeping +4 per day.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Damn..... I wish I could be a watch collector like some of you. It's a field I can't even imagine stepping into when you are looking at 5-10 for a "normal" watch.

A friend of my father has literally 100's of watches upwards of $80k that are given to him as gifts and he wears the same typical Submariner everyday.

Until I am earning 500k annually I couldn't even consider dropping 10k/watch for numerous watches.
One day
pimp.gif

I dropped 5k worth of FAFSA money on a watch...
grin.gif

but this thread is great, i see a few future purchases in here. I'll post pics soon

Originally Posted by eaalto

I am adding this to my list...

The new Tag Heuer 500m Aquaracer
What is the retail on it?

I really like the tapestry dial, and I like the technical improvements on the watch from past models. I bought my Aquaracer in 2006, and the only real complaint I have about it is the crown being way too small and difficult to use. I like the increase in WR, and I like the addition of the HEV, not that any recreational diver will ever have a use for it. Hopefully they switched to a better luminous material. The only thing that I don't understand is the need for a date magnifier (biting off Rolex?). The movement has remained unchanged (Calibre 5 = ETA 2824-2).

I would probably be more interested in the watch if it had a higher grade ETA movement (2892).

The 2824 can be regulated to stay within chronometer regulations, but it is a cheap movement (~$80). When I first got my Aquaracer, it was running +13 a day. I had Tourneau regulate it down to +5, and was able to keep it spot on by resting it crown down at night. After a while it started losing accuracy and now runs about -6/-7 a day. I've stopped wearing it altogether since I had my Datejust serviced.

It's a nice watch, but I would really keep in mind the fact that it's a cheap movement, not the most accurate (for an automatic), and you generally take a depreciation hit immediately. In terms of bang for the buck, it's not a great deal taking all of those factors into consideration. If you can get a hefty discount, I say go for it, or if you don't care about resale value, then who cares?

How do you like the Portuguese? What is the case width and how does it wear on your wrist? (What is your wrist size?)

I have a 7" wrist, and I feel like a 36mm DJ wears fine, as well as the larger Aquaracer (40 mm), but sometimes I feel like the Seiko (42/43mm?) looks a little goofy on my wrist.

The new AquaRacer retails for $2,450, which is not bad at all. I'm not too sure about the cyclops either but the watch does look good so I can get past it.
As for the movement, it is cheap but it is also reliable.
If these were any other expensive brands, I would worry about it but since it is a Tag Heuer, which can be had at a very good discount, the movement does notconcern me much.
It just released and the grey market id already marking it down 30%+.

I love the Portuguese, I seriously cannot think of a better watch than it. It is 40.9mm but wears bit due to the slim bezel but it is perfect for my6.5"-6.7" wrist.
38mm-42mm is the best I could do for my wrist, which kind of sucks since the market is filled with the big watch trend.
If you have a 7" wrist, a 43mm watch should look fine I think. It just takes some getting used to it I guess, especially after wearing a 36mm datejust.

Awesome Datejust, I want a Rolex, more specifically the Explorer I but at 36mm, it is way too small for my wrist. I have my eyes set on the GMT IIC, I feellike drooling every time I see it in the store.

Sunny, I hope you don't regret using all your FAFSA money on a watch but just curious, if you don't mind me asking, what watch did you pick up?

RFX nice vid you posted up there from the Hamilton Watch Co. Makes me appreciate the little intracacies of my watch even more. I've actually been viewing acouple vids. made by Patek and IWC about their watches
pimp.gif

And I also like the Nomos watches you posted above. I figured my next watch purchase would either be an Oris, Stowa or maybe even a Nomos if I find nothingbetter.

Scars...I like the Citizen watch you posted. Not really fond of the band but the face looks great.

Eaalto nice watches dude...especially the rolex.

Originally Posted by thinkinFRESH

A quick wrist shot of the Portuguese:
*I need a better quality camera*
portug10.jpg
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
jesus that is a sexy timepiece

what is the ballpark on those ?
nerd.gif

MSRP: $6,800

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

RFX nice vid you posted up there from the Hamilton Watch Co. Makes me appreciate the little intracacies of my watch even more. I've actually been viewing a couple vids. made by Patek and IWC about their watches
pimp.gif

And I also like the Nomos watches you posted above. I figured my next watch purchase would either be an Oris, Stowa or maybe even a Nomos if I find nothing better.

You can't go wrong with any of those. It would really depend though, I think for a more dressy watch, Stowa and Nomos are a better choice while Oris hasplenty of sport watches.
Oris also has some casual/dress watches but Stowa and Nomos just has a much cleaner look.

Heads Up!
tag_he10.jpg

Is this why they stopped doing local sales?

My buddy's dad works for Tag (LVMH) and my buddy told me they'll stop doing the sales this year *private-by invite only sales*

^^^ I doubt it, every store has a sale on Tag Heuer's right now.
And deeper discounts can be had on almost every brand due to the economy being horrible.

If they only do "private invite sales," I guarantee their profits will drop tremendously to a point of bankruptcy.

LVMH has been doing F&F sales for a couple of years now.
It is just a way to move discontinued, unsold or over stock.

RFX or anyone who can help, I want to replace the band on a watch I have which has a stainless steel band with a leather band preferrably brown can anyone giveme some info on maybe a site that sells watch bands that you've ordered from, or should I just go to a watch dealer and get one?

Hi!

Is there any body who got a Nixon Newton? How to you like it? is the wristband long enough for big wrist (I know that sometimes some watches like Nike or otherwatch like this doesn't fit me...)

Thanks
wink.gif

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

RFX or anyone who can help, I want to replace the band on a watch I have which has a stainless steel band with a leather band preferrably brown can anyone give me some info on maybe a site that sells watch bands that you've ordered from, or should I just go to a watch dealer and get one?

Check out FredaWatchStraps.com, I have purchased from them and all the transaction have been smooth.
They have different prices depending on what you are looking for. I would suggest a brown croc strap but browse aroudn the site and you will definitely findsomething you like.
Hadley Roma or Hirsch are great straps, very well made.

If you get it from a dealer or an brand name watch strap, you might be paying an arm and a leg for it so after market is definitely the way to go.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom