private colleges/universitys suck

Originally Posted by curt2121

looking back, I would NEVER have gone to some public school where I was a number and had to deal with inflexible administration with ridiculous policies. The registration nightmare stories I've heard from public schools make me cringe. I really can't imagine not being able to get a class because it was full or being at UCLA and having a class so big it uses 3 lecture halls connected by video with a professor (or most likely grad student) in just one of them. I really can't name one thing about a public school that would have been better.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by the north west

the best route would be to go to a cc and then transfer out
I go to SFSU and I plan on transferring out to a CC for one year, and then transfer to University of the Pacific--a private school. Keep thisthread going, I want to outweigh the pros/cons.

I'm transferring because I'm a music major here at SFSU, but the music program isn't all that great. UOP on the other hand, has an extremely niceconservatory of music, and from my online research on this school, some top professors. Classes are smaller, easier networking, and also, UOP has a 4-yeargraduation guarantee; they make sure you get the classes you need. But 31K/ per year for tuition alone is gonna kill me.

I didn't visit the school yet, but I plan to soon. I just want to see if private school is worth it.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

It's a business. What do people expect?

All of the top private universities are basically foundations for the wealthy.
They avoid paying taxes on money ("donated" to the university) while telling the university how to spend it.

Example:

I give 20 million to a university. Therefore, I pay no taxes on that 20 million. Meanwhile the university wants to expand and build a new "tech" center. I provide the university with a list of contractors they "should" go. Coincidentally all those contractors are either family or do business with my business. Of course the university has a "choice" of what contractor to choose from. However, if they choose a different contractor I'll just donate to another university next time.

That's how these universities keep their "elite" status. Nice campus, new buildings, and top professors all cost money.
it's not about education anymore. it's about maintaining that elite status in order to extract as much money as possible.

I agree, but thats how ALL colleges, and universities work

Public or private
smh.gif

Are you guys serious?

I work in a college admission office. Learn the facts...

Public or private totally depends on the kid. Contrary to popular belief, private schools can actually be CHEAPER than public.

If you have good grades/test scores from high school, you can land massive scholarships at privates.

Also, financial aid and federal loans can often be way more lucrative at privates.

And the biggie... IMO private schools are worlds ahead of public. Hmm what classroom would you rather learn in? A 18-student room taught by a doctorate, or a300-student lecture hall, copying notes from a TA?

All the stereotypes can be broken. Privates can have just as big of sports teams (USC, Auburn, Duke, etc...) and just as big of parties, what more do youhypebeast NTers want?

SMU ftw...
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by sonunox34

Are you guys serious?

Public or private totally depends on the kid. Contrary to popular belief, private schools can actually be CHEAPER than public.

If you have good grades/test scores from high school, you can land massive scholarships at privates.

Also, financial aid and federal loans can often be way more lucrative at privates.

And the biggie... IMO private schools are worlds ahead of public. Hmm what classroom would you rather learn in? A 18-student room taught by a doctorate, or a 300-student lecture hall, copying notes from a TA?

All the stereotypes can be broken. Privates can have just as big of sports teams (USC, Auburn, Duke, etc...) and just as big of parties, what more do you hypebeast NTers want?

SMU ftw...
smokin.gif

Word, best believe I'm gonna be bustin my %$# for every scholarship I'm eligible for. There's also the grants and workstudy jobs. And I was lookingat UOP's Greek life-- they got a music fraternity, and that opens up even more scholarships since I'm a music major.

Originally Posted by PaidNHalf

It's a business. What do people expect?

All of the top private universities are basically foundations for the wealthy.
They avoid paying taxes on money ("donated" to the university) while telling the university how to spend it.

Example:

I give 20 million to a university. Therefore, I pay no taxes on that 20 million. Meanwhile the university wants to expand and build a new "tech" center. I provide the university with a list of contractors they "should" go. Coincidentally all those contractors are either family or do business with my business. Of course the university has a "choice" of what contractor to choose from. However, if they choose a different contractor I'll just donate to another university next time.

That's how these universities keep their "elite" status. Nice campus, new buildings, and top professors all cost money.
it's not about education anymore. it's about maintaining that elite status in order to extract as much money as possible.

I agree, but thats how ALL colleges, and universities work

Public or private
smh.gif
idk.
I mean paying 10k/year for tuition for public universities isn't bad at all.

Are there any public Uni's that charge private type rates (for in state students)?

btw, what are all these "problems" people keep mentioning with public universities?
When I attended I only had 2 classes with >30 students my entire 4 years and I was always able to take the classes I wanted.
I never heard many people complain about these problems either.

Originally Posted by lawinnn

Are you guys serious?

And the biggie... IMO private schools are worlds ahead of public. Hmm what classroom would you rather learn in? A 18-student room taught by a doctorate, or a 300-student lecture hall, copying notes from a TA?

All the stereotypes can be broken. Privates can have just as big of sports teams (USC, Auburn, Duke, etc...) and just as big of parties, what more do you hypebeast NTers want?

SMU ftw...
smokin.gif

Word, best believe I'm gonna be bustin my %$# for every scholarship I'm eligible for. There's also the grants and workstudy jobs. And I was looking at UOP's Greek life-- they got a music fraternity, and that opens up even more scholarships since I'm a music major.

Good looks on the grades. Care with the music frat though, is it Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia? I pledged to that for a week before I dropped, dudes were more intoholding hands and reciting chants than jamming.

Are you guys serious?

SMU ftw...
smokin.gif

Word, best believe I'm gonna be bustin my %$# for every scholarship I'm eligible for. There's also the grants and workstudy jobs. And I was looking at UOP's Greek life-- they got a music fraternity, and that opens up even more scholarships since I'm a music major.

Good looks on the grades. Care with the music frat though, is it Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia? I pledged to that for a week before I dropped, dudes were more into holding hands and reciting chants than jamming.
laugh.gif

I can only imagine the look.
eek.gif
eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
tired.gif

Don't hate, Northwestern hooked me. Graduated with only like 20k in loans, paid that stuff off the following year.

You killed your argument when you spelled "universities " incorrectly. So much for your public school education.

Are you guys serious?

SMU ftw...
smokin.gif

Good looks on the grades. Care with the music frat though, is it Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia? I pledged to that for a week before I dropped, dudes were more into holding hands and reciting chants than jamming.
laugh.gif

I can only imagine the look.
eek.gif
eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
tired.gif
laugh.gif

I remember after my one and only meeting, when I was the only one in my pledge class to NOT memorize the frat motto

president: So you're going to work on that motto right?
Me: umm yeah I guess
president: whoa, do you really care about this frat?
Me: not really
president:
indifferent.gif

I just wanted to play some drumset... is that so much to ask??

Are you guys serious?

SMU ftw...
smokin.gif

Aww what??? Well, I'm planning to transfer to UOP, and I've never been in a fraternity before...I thought all that cult #@!++*%* was just me watchingtoo much television, guess not! We'll see how this goes. I don't see the point in these organizations if they're not productive.

And the guy that goes to SMU: It's Saint Mary's College, right? How's it going so far and what is it like as a student?

Originally Posted by Stillmatic23

You killed your argument when you spelled "universities " incorrectly. So much for your public school education.

i was just about to say the same thing.

I got my bachelor's degree at a public university and while you do not get a ton of personalized attention in lower division classes, the class sizes werealways small enough so that the professors not only did all of the lectures but were able to answer everyone's questions in class and were able to speak atlength during office hours.

My main complaint was that walk in tutoring tended to be spotty but usually you could get help from the professor if you fell behind a little bit.

Originally Posted by IronmanFitness

go to a public school save the money

Maybe to some, but I only pay 6k per year for school from an original tuition that is at 34k now. Grants and Scholarships make things work.

Back
Top Bottom