private colleges/universitys suck

Originally Posted by lawinnn

Originally Posted by sonunox34

Originally Posted by lawinnn

Originally Posted by sonunox34

Are you guys serious?

I work in a college admission office. Learn the facts...

Public or private totally depends on the kid. Contrary to popular belief, private schools can actually be CHEAPER than public.

If you have good grades/test scores from high school, you can land massive scholarships at privates.

Also, financial aid and federal loans can often be way more lucrative at privates.

And the biggie... IMO private schools are worlds ahead of public. Hmm what classroom would you rather learn in? A 18-student room taught by a doctorate, or a 300-student lecture hall, copying notes from a TA?

All the stereotypes can be broken. Privates can have just as big of sports teams (USC, Auburn, Duke, etc...) and just as big of parties, what more do you hypebeast NTers want?

SMU ftw...
smokin.gif

Word, best believe I'm gonna be bustin my %$# for every scholarship I'm eligible for. There's also the grants and workstudy jobs. And I was looking at UOP's Greek life-- they got a music fraternity, and that opens up even more scholarships since I'm a music major.

Good looks on the grades. Care with the music frat though, is it Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia? I pledged to that for a week before I dropped, dudes were more into holding hands and reciting chants than jamming.

Aww what??? Well, I'm planning to transfer to UOP, and I've never been in a fraternity before...I thought all that cult #@!++*%* was just me watching too much television, guess not! We'll see how this goes. I don't see the point in these organizations if they're not productive.

And the guy that goes to SMU: It's Saint Mary's College, right? How's it going so far and what is it like as a student?
Don't get too down on the frat, every one is different with different people. Thing was... I liked the people... I didn't like therules/pledge process
eyes.gif
it is a great thing to do to find a niche, like ifyou are transferring its basically instant friends and you also learn a ton about sound equipment and mixing boards.

I actually go to Saint Mary's University, it's in Winona, Minnesota. I love it, I'm in the middle of my sophomore year.

^^Damn, what did they make you do during the pledge process, and what rules did you have to follow?

Firstly, the price of the institution is dependent on where you are going. For example, UNC"s out of state tuition was rather steep, but I could haveattended the premier state university in my state for essentially nothing. Despite this fact, I thought a private university would be a better fit and providemore opportunities after graduation, and my parents offered to cover the costs (which weren't inordinate due to financial aid), so in my opinion I made thecorrect choice. So, really it's all situational.

Applied to USC, hopefully I get in.....Stats: Black with 3.77 GPA, transfer student
99036e6f21778bc4c84839f029de7ce81ee1d4e3.gif
applied for like a dozen scholarship divisions too so hopefully Iget something nice thrown at me along with the Financial Aid I'm already getting too, I see the amount of money they give me for going to a JC, and wonderhow much more the gov't would be giving me if I went to SC
75216d2888c73b2c778e9197bd8747553b6d327d.gif

teachers in HS public schools are better. Private school teachers are usually non accredited and are paid less and not part of union

Originally Posted by chris boshs neck

teachers in HS public schools are better. Private school teachers are usually non accredited and are paid less and not part of union

False

Stork---you sound like you got a good chance; did your JC offer a 'Transfer Admission Agreement' with USC? A 'TAA' is basically a contractbetween the JC and the school the student is trying to transfer to--As long as the student maintains a __ GPA average and earns a certain amount of credits atthe JC, that student is guaranteed admission to the prospective school. Nothing like that at the JC you attended?

I went to both Public, and Private high-schools.

Teachers at public schools are paid more, and are apart of the union. That has NOTHING to do with their quality of teaching.

I attended both a public and private high-school

Best teachers I ever had were at the private high-school, they had their reasons for taking lower pay, and good ones too IMO

07e255e4fe7ae649b1afca3f30122b38d0e8ba0.gif

No it is true in many cases

you can't use CASES to make a blanket statement like public school teachers are more qualified. there are thousands of public school teachers that are notaccredited. guess you never heard of teach for america

I couldn't disagree more. My mom's been teaching in a small catholic school for 25 years, her and the rest of her coworkers consistentlyturn down higher paying jobs because they LOVE their jobs, they enjoy teaching good kids in a small, religious school. I guarantee you that private high schoolteachers are on the same level or better than public. This is NOT true in college, though... good profs everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom