Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Between Unforgettable and wild thoughts for me. I just heard Bodak for the first time and it's just now peaking. Those 2 songs rang since they started.

Serious question, younger people don't get the urge to take in an artist's whole catalog? I feel like with the advent of the internet and the ease of getting music, it pushed me to take in as much as I could and try to digest and 'get' it. I would go through an artist's whole catalog in chronological order trying to get as authentic a feel for the artist and the time.

Is it a fair assessment to say that this younger generation takes the ease of access to music for granted? When Napster/Kazaa/Limewire etc came into the game it changed music completely for me. Now it's literally everywhere you look. We've got access to the world's music catalog on our desks, in our TVs and in our pockets. I just don't really see as many younger people digging way back to do the knowledge.

Serious question, younger people don't get the urge to take in an artist's whole catalog? I feel like with the advent of the internet and the ease of getting music, it pushed me to take in as much as I could and try to digest and 'get' it. I would go through an artist's whole catalog in chronological order trying to get as authentic a feel for the artist and the time.

Is it a fair assessment to say that this younger generation takes the ease of access to music for granted? When Napster/Kazaa/Limewire etc came into the game it changed music completely for me. Now it's literally everywhere you look. We've got access to the world's music catalog on our desks, in our TVs and in our pockets. I just don't really see as many younger people digging way back to do the knowledge.

I don't consider myself "young" anymore (I'm 28) but I will say I felt no desire to listen to older artists that I enjoyed discography. Just didn't have that desire. Example: I am a Busta Rhymes fan but I couldn't name 2 CDs without using the internet. I'm a fan of him (and others) because of the work they have done from the time I became interested in music and further.

Just heard Bodak Yellow? Song been ringing off since like June.

I've heard it once, I don't listen to the radio. I got my Spotify playlists and I'll listen to full albums.

I wonder this myself

Lord knows how many hours I spent on Napster/Limewire/mIRC downloading ENTIRE discographies. Streaming changed all of that ****. ****** don't know about this life :lol:

mirc7-1024x734.jpg

I don't consider myself "young" anymore (I'm 28) but I will say I felt no desire to listen to older artists that I enjoyed discography. Just didn't have that desire. Example: I am a Busta Rhymes fan but I couldn't name 2 CDs without using the internet. I'm a fan of him (and others) because of the work they have done from the time I became interested in music and further.

I've heard it once, I don't listen to the radio. I got my Spotify playlists and I'll listen to full albums.
I respect that. I guess it's just a matter of taste. Some people in our generation dove in head first and others didn't get the urge.

But still to this day, there's nothing to me like finding a new artist (been deep in classic rock) and grabbing up everything they ever did. It's one of the most exciting experiences of discovery. And the ill part about it is there's so much music, that we'll never run out of stuff to go back to.

I wonder this myself

Lord knows how many hours I spent on Napster/Limewire/mIRC downloading ENTIRE discographies. Streaming changed all of that ****. *****s don't know about this life :lol:

mirc7-1024x734.jpg
Man. Then think about how much slower the net was. And how much ****tier computers were.

Used to take a solid 5 hours to get through a 85MB zip file or folder.:rofl:

bruh...you know how many times i'd let some **** download overnight...thinking i was going to school the next day with some **** that ****** ain't even have yet....only for that **** to have failed at like 88% :smh:

I never used Limewire. I used Ares. Never had downloading problems. Was selling cd's like crazy.

Define run.

If we're talking sales + popularity. It was 03-05. 06-07 was the beginning of the end for him.

Define run.

If we're talking sales + popularity. It was 03-05. 06-07 was the beginning of the end for him.

A run is the time in which you're at the top and most of the attention is on you. After Massacre, 50's popularity waned.

50s run and peak (pause) >>> Wayne's

50 and Em's (MMLP and TES time) was unreal. Like literally, didn't seem real.

Wayne had a nice run but it wasn't close.

A run is the time in which you're at the top and most of the attention is on you. After Massacre, 50's popularity waned.

Agreed. Massacre dropped in 05. He did nothing in 06 and by 07...Kanye and Wayne had took over

Young *****s don't know this struggle.

tumblr_okkv8ixMBS1rdi7wyo1_500.png

tumblr_okkv8ixMBS1rdi7wyo2_500.png

You be at ya computer mad then mf. :lol:

jimmy-mcnulty.gif

i was born in mid 90's and remember using limewire for MP3 players and PSP's

i think that system was the perfect peak of the internet and music co existing before it just became content overload

you still had to care about the music to sit there and figure out P2P filesharing at like 11-16

50s run and peak (pause) >>> Wayne's

50 and Em's (MMLP and TES time) was unreal. Like literally, didn't seem real.

Wayne had a nice run but it wasn't close.

its two different eras to compare

people will say the same about wayne era > drake era and then drake > chance and so on and so forth

Back
Top Bottom