Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Again point i'm making is being proven more by each post, guys who think thug & migos are "Good" at rapping are guys who seemingly prefer trap as a style. Those who seem to want more variety don't think that there really much more than average in that category.

So a ***** like Budden who's seen 3-4 decades of rap unfold, and has a bigger palette to choose from.... is always gonna look at these cats crazy because what is considered a good verse by some of these cats now would get you taken off the track in other times.

I listen to variety all the time. I can listen Reasonable Doubt then listen to a Migos tape and say they can rap good.

Joe has admitted he don't even listen to ****. :lol: And Ak ain't the to go dude to find out about somebody's music. As much as Ak claims to know about Kodak I ain't once heard him talk about the substance and stories in his music.

Again point i'm making is being proven more by each post, guys who think thug & migos are "Good" at rapping are guys who seemingly prefer trap as a style. Those who seem to want more variety don't think that there really much more than average in that category.

So a ***** like Budden who's seen 3-4 decades of rap unfold, and has a bigger palette to choose from.... is always gonna look at these cats crazy because what is considered a good verse by some of these cats now would get you taken off the track in other times.

Your second statement just goes to show why what y'all are arguing is meaningless. People have different wants from music. What Thug and Migos does appeals to what certain folks want and consider good. It doesn't appeal to Joe. It doesn't mean they aren't good. It's just not what he wants from music, which is understandable seeing how he grew up in an era of lyricism. Like he said, its not for him.

Future sometimes has verses that just hit you. The verse may not be the most lyrical, or blow you away technically, but somehow you can actually feel what he's saying. That's really important for me in music.

Someone can be ridiculously lyrical, but not be able to connect with me emotionally. Somehow Future does that at times. I can feel what he's saying through his words via his delivery. Sometimes feels like dude is talking for me.

However, there's times where he just repeats the same mixture of words over and over again, patek, ap, hublot, codeine, muddy, perc, molly, vvs etc etc. Also, he'll just like almost every rapper have a low attention span and switch topics bar after bar. Say something deep, one bar, next bar say something about your chain.

Overall though, for me at least, Future has the rare ability to really make the bars come to life.

It's all about creating atmosphere in the music. Weeknd does that for me. Especially with his first three tapes.

Future isn't in that Lil Uzi, Lil Pump, Yahcty, Migos category though. He actually has verses with meaning to it.

Just like NBA Youngboy isnt either.

Future isn't in that Lil Uzi, Lil Pump, Yahcty, Migos category though. He actually has verses with meaning to it.

Just like NBA Youngboy isnt either.

Lil Uzi, Lil Pump, Lil Yachty and Migos all not even in the same category :lol:

Your second statement just goes to show why what y'all are arguing is meaningless. People have different wants from music. What Thug and Migos does appeals to what certain folks want and consider good. It doesn't appeal to Joe. It doesn't mean they aren't good. It's just not what he wants from music, which is understandable seeing how he grew up in an era of lyricism. Like he said, its not for him.

Rapping is a skill however, Joe wasn't debating their music or what he thinks of it. From a Technical standpoint the only things most of these dudes are good at is getting words to flow. As i stated earlier delivery, concepts, subject matter, witty lines, imagery etc etc are all technical skills needed to be considered a good RAPPER.

You can't be considered a good artist w/o being a great rapper, you can make good music w/o being a good rapper all that is subjective. There is a set precedence & criteria for what makes a good rapper.

Just because some in this new generation don't have the skills to follow that criteria doesn't mean that the culture has to rewrite all the rules to accommodate them.

Doesn't take away from there songwriting ability as a whole, ****** just aren't good at rapping

Rapping is a skill however, Joe wasn't debating their music or what he thinks of it. From a Technical standpoint the only things most of these dudes are good at is getting words to flow. As i stated earlier delivery, concepts, subject matter, witty lines, imagery etc etc are all technical skills needed to be considered a good RAPPER.

You can't be considered a good artist w/o being a great rapper, you can make good music w/o being a good rapper all that is subjective. There is a set precedence & criteria for what makes a good rapper.

Just because some in this new generation don't have the skills to follow that criteria doesn't mean that the culture has to rewrite all the rules to accommodate them.

Doesn't take away from there songwriting ability as a whole, *****s just aren't good at rapping

That's your criteria of what makes a good rapper. It is not set in stone. It's not a precedence or criteria. That's simply what you want from it. Nothing is being rewritten, s*** it just evolving. There are still plenty of rappers who fit "YOUR" criteria. Most people are too lazy to find it and just sit back and complain about the state of things.

Future sometimes has verses that just hit you. The verse may not be the most lyrical, or blow you away technically, but somehow you can actually feel what he's saying. That's really important for me in music.

Someone can be ridiculously lyrical, but not be able to connect with me emotionally. Somehow Future does that at times. I can feel what he's saying through his words via his delivery. Sometimes feels like dude is talking for me.

However, there's times where he just repeats the same mixture of words over and over again, patek, ap, hublot, codeine, muddy, perc, molly, vvs etc etc. Also, he'll just like almost every rapper have a low attention span and switch topics bar after bar. Say something deep, one bar, next bar say something about your chain.

Overall though, for me at least, Future has the rare ability to really make the bars come to life.

This is again lending to my point, I listen to more future than i do most rappers.... he absolutely does have songs that connect way more than others. with that said he's average at THE SKILL OF RAPPING on his best day.

Being an average/badrapper doesn't = being a bad artist or making bad music
Just like being a AMAZING rapper (see Eminem) doesn't = making great songs (Em is clearly a legend and has classic material, but although he's continued to rap his *** off for years, it doesn't connect with me at all)

Again Hip-Hop is in desperate need of sub Genre's.

That's your criteria of what makes a good rapper. It is not set in stone. It's not a precedence or criteria. That's simply what you want from it. Nothing is being rewritten, s*** it just evolving. There are still plenty of rappers who fit "YOUR" criteria. Most people are too lazy to find it and just sit back and complain about the state of things.

And this is where we completely disagree. In order for a culture to survive it has to have standards, rules & traditions. The skill of rap has been defined, set in stone & administered through generations now. And upheld by those who have put in the work and thoroughly researched and documented this culture way more than you and I. Those rules have stood for 40 yrs...... the definition of what makes a good rapper isn't gonna be changed and disregarded because a few teens don't like the criteria. In order to be labeled a good rapper you have to RAP WELL.

Your right hiphop is evolving and what it's evolved into gets further and further from rap by the day.... and in that case throw that **** into another category and let those artist redefine their rules...... but what we're not gonna push for, is kids coming in who admittedly have no knowledge of rap culture prior to the past 10 years, dictate the principles & rules of a culture that's been building for 40 years.

it's like a ***** coming into the NBA and demanding to be awarded points for doing crossovers because he's trash at shooting. like yea we like crossovers too but there's clear rules on what's considered scoring & that ain't it.

Rap is in need of sub genres, because it died out in the 80's People like Busy Bee and Doug were about rocking a party. You were the best according to crowd reaction. Rap lyrically evolved past that. With Kool Moe Dee, LL, Rakim...

I don't mind people listening to Uzi and Migos, but don't compare them to Hov or Nas. Just like Rihanna shouldn't be compared to someone who can actually sang, no voice enhancements. She's an entertainer. You aren't asking her to go on stage and sing live with no recording.

Being hot is something that goes away. It's temporary. What you're thought of as a rapper and lyrical ability doesn't go away. Desiigner was hot. Fetty Wap was hot. It doesn't matter how hot Black Thought is.

it shouldn't be no sub genres cause all these rappers are in the same game. Sub genres are crutches. Make *your* style of music hot enough to make it the trend. There was a time where lyrical rap was the trend, ****** just gotta find a way to make it trend again

No, there should be subgenres

Rock has it
Jazz
Classical
Country

It's sort of branched off in a way, because now you have old school stations. But now Crime Mob might be considered old school. But there needs to be more defined subgenres.

Rap is ART. ART is subjective

/conversation

One IDK where your getting this Akademiks thing from, his entire persona comes off hyping up these new *****s which more often than not are trap rappers or are in that lane. the majority of the music he promotes is catered around the trap sound & no emphasis on Lyrics

Joe on the other hand doesn't think someone like Quavo can rap well.... because he doesn't. Is he horrible no, can he occasionally give you a good verse of course, will it flow well almost all the time.... that doesn't make him a good rapper when Joe's examples of good rapper are guys like Hov, Scarface, Biggie, Ghost, Em, Crooked etc etc. Just from a technical standpoint it's disrespectful to say cats like Migos or thug are great rappers & then put guys like that in the same echelon.

Also for A LOT of these verses they flow well with the beat, when pulled away and listened too or just the lyrics being read Not much is being said. It's not a lot of thought behind it, there's no real slick talk, no overall focus. These guys constantly tell you that they are freestyling the music and just stringing things together that sound good over the beat.

There's absolutely a lane for that & it's clear as day, it makes for a good sounding song if you are looking for a certain vibe or energy. But truthfully speaking if an arist themselves is telling you their going in & freestyling songs in ten minutes, why would someone like Joe who is clearly heavily inclined on Lyrics and what's being said... here an offset verse & think it's elite? Especially when a large portion of cats rapping over trap beats (No Matter the region) are using the same flows, same adlibs & similar sounding beats. It's but so long someone is gonna listen to that.

Kodak for example is one of the newer cats who people point too in that demographic & say he's spitting. And yes compared to his peers he has more content & may actually rap with a message on mind, However in the grand scheme of things he's a mediocre rapper.

My guy....those cats that Akademiks promote are faaaaaar from trap rappers :lol:. The lil pumps, ugly gods, yachty's etc are what he promotes. When you speak about "trap"....and moreso southern hip hop in that legacy of newer cats.....we're talking about Moneybagg Yo, Money Man, NBA Youngboy, YFN Lucci etc for one. Those guys he doesn't promote. They have their own lane etc.

On another.....in response to the video I posted.....it's a damn fact that some of these trap rappers can actually spit.....but they get dismissed instantly due to production or image. If you think a guy like takeoff isn't technically good as a rapper....idk what to tell you.

Don't worry. Y'all will come around in due time (like always). Same cats like you (and Budden), who confused 2 Chainz with Young Dolph....only later to come around and say "Chainz can spit"....always come around once y'all get past accents, flows, lingo, production and image.

Again.....this is accurate as hell.

Don't worry. Y'all will come around in due time (like always). Same cats like you (and Budden), who confused 2 Chainz with Young Dolph....only later to come around and say "Chainz can spit"....always come around once y'all get past accents, flows, lingo, production and image.

Boy dudes wouldn't lend an ear to the possibility of Chainz being talented a couple of years ago lol

Boy dudes wouldn't lend an ear to the possibility of Chainz being talented a couple of years ago lol

On God! To watch them switch up and give him credit years down the line is hilarious. It ALWAYS happens.

Here's what RUSSELL SIMMONS....thought about Outkast. It's the same **** man :lol:.

Mixing 2chainz and Dolph :rofl::rofl::rofl:

trynafeelmink trynafeelmink ACTUALLY did that though :lol:. Again S&T Ty >>>>> Music Forum Ty :lol:

The South got REAL soul. That's why our music resonates. That's the reason why James Brown's (a southerner) music was ironically the most sampled, by them same NY cats who despised the south.

NY hated southern rap, but sampled all of our great blues/soul/R&B crooners :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The South got REAL soul. That's why our music resonates. That's the reason why James Brown's (a southerner) music was ironically the most sampled, by them same NY cats who despised the south.

NY hated southern rap, but sampled all of our great blues/soul/R&B crooners :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Stop bringing that childishness to other genres

So what are Philly and Detroit sounds?

Only rap does that regional crap

Stop bringing that childishness to other genres

So what are Philly and Detroit sounds?

Only rap does that regional crap

Not true at all. Look up New York Hardcore, Boston hardcore, LA Hardcore. That's just a few, and just a subgenre.

TM101 was the one. It was appreciated immediately, but it's one of those where you look look back at its impact. That intro when the beat comes in still gets me hype

Back
Top Bottom