Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

A lot of arguing over some simple stuff in here. I'm from the south, so I love trap music (Memphis started that sound btw, and no I'm not from there) but I can admit that most of these mf's can't rap nowadays :lol: . They can make some dope songs, but when it comes to lyrics... cmon son. Some of the best lyricists are trash at making songs, so there's that too. We can't just rewrite the rules though. Being a dope "rapper" means he/she got bars. Being a dope "artist" means he/she got bomb songs AND they might or might not be a good rapper. Nothing wrong with either. Listen to what you like. I listen to it all, just depends on the day and how I'm feeling...

would you rather be a great rapper or great artist? in todays climate that is.

would you rather be a great rapper or great artist? in todays climate that is.

Artist, because that means you can make good songs AND be a good with the pen. Gotta get the bag. I mean... the good rappers that can't make songs are pretty much battle rappers nowadays. No diss, cause I rocks with the battle rap. They just don't have much of a market anymore. Execs now though, are getting mf's that can make good songs and actually show them how to rap lol. I've seen and heard some things.

A lot of arguing over some simple stuff in here. I'm from the south, so I love trap music (Memphis started that sound btw, and no I'm not from there) but I can admit that most of these mf's can't rap nowadays :lol: . They can make some dope songs, but when it comes to lyrics... cmon son

I'm saying. It's all subjective...but it is what it is.

This isn't relegated to "down south" either. It's plenty of ************* from all the over the map that's on right now and can't rap. Alot of these dudes will tell you they ain't really trying to rap either. You got the image + production + charisma...that's all you need to really carry you.

I'm moreso speaking of people who are dismissive of certain types of rappers....and immediately dismiss their rapping ability based off of image and production. That's a real thing in hip hop. Especially regarding trap rappers.

Like....look at the comments and look at Funk Flex's face in this Moneybagg Yo freestyle video. EVERYBODY thought he'd be terrible.

Why?

They expect rappers with this image to not be able to rap at all. And end up being surprised once they actually listen and open their minds up. That's what I'm moreso speaking to.

I mean....there's always going to be regional biases in rap. It is what it is.

there's always going to be mf'ers from nyc that are dismissive to everything trap or from down south...just like there's always going to be mf'ers from down south who are dismissive of "rappity rap east coast rap".

I'm moreso speaking of people who are dismissive of certain types of rappers....and immediately dismiss their rapping ability based off of image and production. That's a real thing in hip hop. Especially regarding trap rappers.

Like....look at the comments and look at Funk Flex's face in this Moneybagg Yo freestyle video. EVERYBODY thought he'd be terrible.

Why?

They expect rappers with this image to not be able to rap at all. And end up being surprised once they actually listen and open their minds up. That's what I'm moreso speaking to.

Very first comment

"On everything I thought this **** was gon be *** cheeks"

:lol:

Migos freestyles are dope as hell. This is what hip hop is. _'s feeding off each other just going.

Why?

Shid, I like Yo and that freestyle surprised me. Keep it funky, you know most mf's go do these freestyles and them thangs be straight cringe. :lol:

No knock on Future, but I just dont see how you follow up Drake Cole and Kendrick in a Top 5 convo and name Future.
Maybe its the mainstream appeal or the lack of rapping ability that makes him look odd in the convo.

Of course he makes good songs and have a fanbase, but so does Migos and Travis Scott. I think they are the 3 at the top of the "other" bracket. 2 Chainz would be over here too maybe, but I feel like 2 Chainz can actually rap so he is least surprising to me appearing next to Cole nem.

Big Sean falls short of Chance even tho he has been around alot longer... he has only one highly regarded project and thats Detroit.

Ehh...if you can put a ***** that don't write all his raps in there I have no problems with someone putting Future in there.

My guy....those cats that Akademiks promote are faaaaaar from trap rappers :lol:. The lil pumps, ugly gods, yachty's etc are what he promotes. When you speak about "trap"....and moreso southern hip hop in that legacy of newer cats.....we're talking about Moneybagg Yo, Money Man, NBA Youngboy, YFN Lucci etc for one. Those guys he doesn't promote. They have their own lane etc.

On another.....in response to the video I posted.....it's a damn fact that some of these trap rappers can actually spit.....but they get dismissed instantly due to production or image. If you think a guy like takeoff isn't technically good as a rapper....idk what to tell you.

Don't worry. Y'all will come around in due time (like always). Same cats like you (and Budden), who confused 2 Chainz with Young Dolph....only later to come around and say "Chainz can spit"....always come around once y'all get past accents, flows, lingo, production and image.

Again.....this is accurate as hell.

i'm still not getting how your trying to say Akademks somehow is bias against trap artist/ the south when he constantly shouts out artist from that region & that lane... Because he isn't biggin up every up & coming from the south it's biased? have you just stopped to think that he doesn't like their music because they're not making trap music at the levels of their peers?

Also i "came around too 2Chainz around Trappavelli, it didn't take long to know that he could spit. With that said their is a WIDE margin in rapping ability btwn 2 chainz & takeoff, or YFN Lucci, NBA youngboy etc etc...

I literally just posted a thug verse that i saw people call verse of the year... IDC if that **** was over a prime Just Blaze beat... the verse was mid at best.

2 Chainz no matter what kind of beat he's on is usually gonna get off, and actually puts thought into his verses rather than just using the same flow everyone has, speeding it up & letting the beat carry it. Lemme know when takeoff is putting together verses like these... one is not like the other.

The more i read these responses in here i see where this is coming from, people are STILL mad that NYC didn't embrace the south with open arms 25 YEARS AGO

Everything isn't embraced from day one.( We Ain't FULLY embrace Jay until after Reasonable Doubt)... ya'll ****** mad at people not accepting or hyping an artist until they a body of work to judge?

And that Money Bag Yo, freestyle was decent. It would only be considered impressive because people expected the very least. They would expect the least because most people's introduction are songs like these........... If someone is looking for good rapping, why would they continue to dig deeper into these artist catalogs when the notable songs you hear from them are very limited on rapping ability?

Aye I **** with 2Chainz but he ain't a better rapper than Takeoff. Nah.

This ain't no different than the ****** in the 90's who were spitting a 1000 words quick and not saying much of anything... Flow be having ya'll fooled :lol:

There ain't a single kind of beat i haven't heard 2 chainz body... Changes Flows all the time, Done had verses that stood out next to legends. Again these two are balling in two different leagues

IT IS NOT THE SAME :rofl:

Flow is part of rapping. Chainz is funny and witty but he really ain't saying **** either. I don't see these 2 different leagues. They both are trap rappers. One does it with a slower flow, one does it with a faster flow.

2 Chainz no matter what kind of beat he's on is usually gonna get off, and actually puts thought into his verses rather than just using the same flow everyone has, speeding it up & letting the beat carry it. Lemme know when takeoff is putting together verses like these... one is not like the other.

YOU confused 2 Chainz with Young Dolph as recently as a year ago.

Your credibility is shot on this one mane :lol:

YOU confused 2 Chainz with Young Dolph as recently as a year ago.

Your credibility is shot on this one mane :lol:

Cut the lies and the deflections beloved..... I said i was with chicks who literally couldn't tell the difference btwn 2 chainz & dolph......... WHAT I SAID was dolph has songs where he sounds similar to 2 chainz, and i stand by that.... he's uses some of his flows, tries to use his cadence, even the placements of his adlibs

But again your bias is clear on trap music.... you had a lyric by lyric breakdown of Trap ****** like the **** was the most incomprehensible verse in history. ****** knew what he said, it's just not as impressive as you thought :lol:

Flow is part of rapping. Chainz is funny and witty but he really ain't saying **** either. I don't see these 2 different leagues. They both are trap rappers. One does it with a slower flow, one does it with a faster flow.

****** put takeoff on a project with a few non trap beats and ****** wouldn't make it past a minute :lol:

NY is always late on some **** though. Dudes was saying they didn't "get" Jeezy til months after TM101 was out.

Lies.

I was in 8th grade with like 3 or 4 different snowman tees

Jeezy had the city on lock and was the first southern artist to have the NYC streets in a chokehold immediately after he came out

*****s put takeoff on a project with a few non trap beats and *****s wouldn't make it past a minute :lol:

Whu? :lol:

If you can rap, you can rap. Don't matter what beat it is.

Lies.

I was in 8th grade with like 3 or 4 different snowman tees

Jeezy had the city on lock and was the first southern artist to have the NYC streets in a chokehold immediately after he came out

In the Jeezy thread like a month ago it was NY _'s in there saying that bruh, surprised me.

Thought you was older than that.

a point was made on yesterdays show about how someone like Pusha T puts out a quality product and the "fans" don't really show out and help it gain popularity. A lot of people only care about real rap when they're looking to compare and drive a point against "trap music being garbage"

a point was made on yesterdays show about how someone like Pusha T puts out a quality product and the "fans" don't really show out and help it gain popularity. A lot of people only care about real rap when they're looking to compare and drive a point against "trap music being garbage"

Modern "trap" music is trash. It's junkie music. Original trap was about dope slinging, not dope taking. It's a new genre, and shouldn't be categorized as trap.

Back
Top Bottom