Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

The more i read these responses in here i see where this is coming from, people are STILL mad that NYC didn't embrace the south with open arms 25 YEARS AGO

lmfao man please, the south eatin'. We ain't mad. If anything, NY artists, fans, and "purists" will shoot down the quality of southern rap and write it off as "just trap music" without even trying to understand it on more than one level

I can't think of any quality southern music to come out recently. Big Boi, Scarface and Killer Mike in the last two years. Can't think of any other QUALITY music from the south recently.

a point was made on yesterdays show about how someone like Pusha T puts out a quality product and the "fans" don't really show out and help it gain popularity. A lot of people only care about real rap when they're looking to compare and drive a point against "trap music being garbage"

Pusha who's last project was a 9 song EP, did about 45K first week with no singles or real promo.... I've been to 2-3 pusha concerts/appearances since & everyone has been sold out and filled with fans who appreciate the music. Pusha doesn't make music that appeals to the mainstream AT ALL (individually). it's popular amongst the people, Pusha is still tearing down festivals, has an adidas line, still getting big features AKA the fans support him & have been supporting him since the Clipse couldn't get their second album out.

Pusha ain't gonna be heard in the club too much, he ain't gonna be all over teenagers snapchats..... that doesn't mean that he doesn't have support, just means he doesn't have the ear of the mainstream/popular crowd. In order for him to do that it would probably lead to EXTREMELY dumbed down music by his standards. So he's fine where he's at.

lmfao man please, the south eatin'. We ain't mad. If anything, NY artists, fans, and "purists" will shoot down the quality of southern rap and write it off as "just trap music" without even trying to understand it on more than one level

Jeezy got nothing but Love
Ross got nothing but love
Tip got nothing but love
Wayne got nothing but love
Future got nothing but love
2 chainz got nothing but love
Yo Gotti got nothing but love
Kevin Gates got nothing but love
Migos got nothing but lobe

****** who actually release good music & switch their sounds up have always gotten love in NYC, it may not happen as soon as they pop off but that's no different from any ***** in our own city.

If ****s hard ****** gonna say it's hard and support it, If **** is trash we gonna call you out on it being trash. The fact of the matter is that every month there's a new "Hot" ***** in trap music that sounds just like the artist before them. Same flows, same production, same adlibs, same content, same look. Those are the ****** who we call trash & usually the ones that are gonne after a year or two. This isn't specific to the south, it's representative of the whole "trap" genre. This younger generation just champions whatever sound is hot & doesn't care how repetitive it is.

I'm not gonna sit here & call a ***** a good rapper because he gave me a few mediocre bars and version # 504 of whatever the hottest trap song is at the moment. You gotta earn your respect, i ain't accepting ****** off some hype that was generated by 16 yr old suburban kids

Prior to all of that, there's a reason why when Andre 3000 said "The south got something to say" when winning Best New Artist for no reason bruh. NY wasn't always accepting of southern rap, it's documented. WELL documented.

Prior to all of that, there's a reason why when Andre 3000 said "The south got something to say" when winning Best New Artist for no reason bruh. NY wasn't always accepting of southern rap, it's documented. WELL documented.

that was 25 years ago...........

We are talking now.... Outkast is respected as legends, because they put in work and created great music. Stop comparing ****** who literally go in the booth & freestyle whatever comes to their mind for 10 minutes & throw a layer of adlibs on it.... to one of the best hiphop groups in history.

Please tell me what layer of music i'm missing from ****** who admittedly walk in to the booth High off a perc and adlib to the beat.... i'm 100% sure that's not the message outcast was trying to convey

I can't think of any quality southern music to come out recently. Big Boi, Scarface and Killer Mike in the last two years. Can't think of any other QUALITY music from the south recently.
Ross dropped arguably the best album this year. Plenty of southern artist dropped quality music this year

Migos - Culture
Future - FUTURE & HENDRXX
Kodak - painting pictures & project baby 2
2 chainz - Pretty girls like trap music
21 savage - issa
Gucci - droptopwop
Moneybagg - heartless
Etc...

Joe put Anderson Paak in his top 5 rappers

mjlol.png

Agree with Joe way more than Ak but he be all the way lost sometimes.

Migos - Culture
Future - FUTURE & HENDRXX
Kodak - painting pictures & project baby 2
2 chainz - Pretty girls like trap music
21 savage - issa
Gucci - droptopwop
Moneybagg - heartless
Etc...

NONE of those are QUALITY music, note even close. SMMFH

that was 25 years ago...........

We are talking now.... Outkast is respected as legends, because they put in work and created great music. Stop comparing *****s who literally go in the booth & freestyle whatever comes to their mind for 10 minutes & throw a layer of adlibs on it.... to one of the best hiphop groups in history.

Please tell me what layer of music i'm missing from *****s who admittedly walk in to the booth High off a perc and adlib to the beat.... i'm 100% sure that's not the message outcast was trying to convey

You think all that hate just vanished huh?

We I see you have your taste and they differ. No need to go further after you declared all those albums mentioned to be low quality

You think all that hate just vanished huh?

We I see you have your taste and they differ. No need to go further after you declared all those albums mentioned to be low quality

Were you even born when that happen?

That's an entirely new generation listening to music.

Do you even go to New York?

Yes, I was very alive during that time but no I don't go to NY.
New generation growing under that same older generation. It's not an impossible situation that people from NY will often discount trap music artists without giving them a shot.

Yes, I was very alive during that time but no I don't go to NY.
New generation growing under that same older generation. It's not an impossible situation that people from NY will often discount trap music artists without giving them a shot.

You dudes contradict yourselves a lot.

You're telling people from New York what they think? That seems pretty similar to the majority in this country.

On one hand you complain about New York copying, but now New York hates the south because of some stuff from 25 years ago that was passed down :lol: So do they hate southern R&B artist too? hate relatives in the south?

You dudes have Civil Wars over music and don't even realize how silly it is. Black people have to do better.

I'm tellin' you what I've encountered. I grew up in Atlanta defending southern music to NYers and east coast dudes who came down with their familes that s***ted on southern artist.
I won't speak for anybody but myself, because that's who I represent. I am really surprised that the concept that NY dudes don't/won't listen to sourthern music but will write it off is such an impossible feat.

Like "real Hip Hop Heads" ain't been saying Hip Hop is dead because of southern rappers for the last what, 8 years?

I'm tellin' you what I've encountered. I grew up in Atlanta defending southern music to NYers and east coast dudes who came down with their familes that s***ted on southern artist.
I won't speak for anybody but myself, because that's who I represent. I am really surprised that the concept that NY dudes don't/won't listen to sourthern music but will write it off is such an impossible feat.

Like "real Hip Hop Heads" ain't been saying Hip Hop is dead because of southern rappers for the last what, 8 years?

Dudes just playing dumb and having revisionist history :lol:. It's not that deep or a crazy, left field concept. Like @VARNELL HILL said

I mean....there's always going to be regional biases in rap. It is what it is.

there's always going to be mf'ers from nyc that are dismissive to everything trap or from down south...just like there's always going to be mf'ers from down south who are dismissive of "rappity rap east coast rap".

So do they like Desiigner, Fetty Wap and Lil Uzi because they're not from the south?

So that means it's not about where the artist is from, but the bad music they put out.

I know Imma day late but I'm watchin' yesterday's episode and they talkin' about the Cardi x Remi track and I wonder: Will the world really support and prop up a street female rapper?

Like to the level of Nicki's success, selling out world tours and such. Can Remi, Cardi, or any other top female hardcore rapper sellout world tours?

Magic being obtuse right now :rolleyes. This argument is tired and dead. Been 3 days running :lol:. Points have been illustrated. Discussions get so far from the core on NT sometimes....it's hard to even continue.

I know Imma day late but I'm watchin' yesterday's episode and they talkin' about the Cardi x Remi track and I wonder: Will the world really support and prop up a street female rapper?

Like to the level of Nicki's success, selling out world tours and such. Can Remi, Cardi, or any other top female hardcore rapper sellout world tours?

Cardi is only gonna prosper by being the opposite of Nicki with the wigs and crazy flows

stay the down to earth relatable hood chick about her bag and ride that character into as many albums, media appearances, brand collaborations and films as possible

And as far as that Russell Simmons quote.

Russell Simmons didn't like Nas. And there's numerous others he didn't like.

So that tells you something about his judge of music in the 90's.

Ya'll know Puff directed Players Ball, right?

Magic being obtuse right now :rolleyes. This argument is tired and dead. Been 3 days running :lol:. Points have been illustrated. Discussions get so far from the core on NT sometimes....it's hard to even continue.

No, because you can't say that New York is copying the south, and then say we hate the south.

Especially the new generation. They don't know anything but southern music other than 50, Jay and the occasional artist on New York radio.

You can say it with people 15 and 20 years ago, not now.

Back
Top Bottom