Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

You prefaced your statement about them "forgetting" to mention Future by stating that the entire cast is all from the Tri-State. It's not an accident. We're talking about a show that has never mentioned someone like Big KRIT ONCE EVER.

But I feel you bro.

They have mentioned KRIT; for his verse on 1 Train. I agree that it's not enough considering his talent, but he's never been someone that stays at the front of most people's minds and they could just not be fans.

Future's last projects were in February and pretty much everyone brought up in consideration for the top 5 has done things of note musically since then besides Cole and Chance, the former already being cemented as a hip-hop-wide mainstay name and the latter being a media darling that's found ways to stay in people's eyes. I can legitimately see them just forgetting.

Like I said though, it's negligent and that's what those pre-show meetings they always mention should be preventing; but I just don't see any malicious intent there.

Kendrick is probably the most universally praised on the show, what would they have to be upset about exactly?

And I never said they didn't MENTION artists from the south, I said they were dismissive of them. Joe has mentioned how he hasn't even listened to Kodak, but yet has only negative things to say about him. They will literally sit there and say they've never "heard" of Young Dolph. Really? Even the compliments are backhanded... "Quavo's killing it right now.. but you, he can't rap a lick". Sure there are the occasional moments where they show proper respect (usually to a vet), but besides that....

So because Joe isn't easily impressed by new rappers it's dismissive? He has stated many times that a lot of these new artist music doesn't connect with him because lyrically it isn't impressive... that's not being dismissive that's being truthful & he's kept that energy with EVERY region.

Ak is constantly talking about how Fire Kodak's projects are, the sole reason i even have any sort of information on XXX, this ***** is constantly reporting on cats like uglyman & slumpgod etc etc...

Joe Is use to cyphers with Eminem, Royce, Crooked I etc etc....... Compared to RAPPING not making a song, not sales, none of that extra **** Quavo can't rap compared to those guys. Hell i'm sure Joe feels that way about 90% of new rappers and he's justified because they can't rap that well.

Bro In this era as far as rappers who are in the mainstream Sean is Easily a top 5 lyricist, and he's more versatile than Future.... do i personally like Sean's new stuff better than future's No. But if lyrics, flows and bars are something your putting emphasis on then Yes sean is gonna pass Future on that list. Not to mention J.Cole is clearly from the south and he's locked in, Kendrick is from the West, Drake ain't even from the country... yet somehow they have an upnorth bias??

I've heard Joe gove 2 Chainz props for years, Constantly bigging up Ross, Constantly Bigging up TIP

They ain't mentioning none of these newer *****s from the south in their top 5 list because the truth is most of them who have the success and accolades aren't that great of rappers. Lyrics and versatility mean a lot to people & that's not to say Future doesn't have those.. there's just other guys who have more of it.

I'm not saying they have an "up north bias"....(although joe admitted to it).....in saying, their scope of what they view as hip hop "worthy of top 5 mentions" is limited.....and based soundly in image and perception.

I also think you're underrating Super as a technical (and versatile) rapper....but y'all know where I stand on here with that subject :lol:.

It's VERRRY easy right now for guys like Budden to Big up TIP, Ross, Gucci, Chainz etc. They spent years calling some of them wack...now, they're universally respected.

Budden said on the Cam ep that him and NY didn't start respecting Wayne as a rapper until dipset got them hip. That's when he REALLY started listening. Everything before that is just grounded in his regional census of what he considers "lyrical rap"....until introduced to another delivery.

Honestly at this point, you can't even really make a top 5. Everybody's hype had cooled down. You have Kendrick, Drake, Future, and maybe Migos. We don't know how long they'll stay hot.

I'm not saying they have an "up north bias"....(although joe admitted to it).....in saying, their scope of what they view as hip hop "worthy of top 5 mentions" is limited.....and based soundly in image and perception.

I also think you're underrating Super as a technical (and versatile) rapper....but y'all know where I stand on here with that subject :lol:.

It's VERRRY easy right now for guys like Budden to Big up TIP, Ross, Gucci, Chainz etc. They spent years calling some of them wack...now, they're universally respected.

Budden said on the Cam ep that him and NY didn't start respecting Wayne as a rapper until dipset got them hip. That's when he REALLY started listening. Everything before that is just grounded in his regional census of what he considers "lyrical rap"....until introduced to another delivery.

I mean it's top 5 tho, there isn't a large scope on that subject because not many people reach that platform. People value lyrics & subject matter higher in those conversations because those are things that the greats excel at and has always been one of the larger measuring sticks. **** i think Jow has Scarface in his top 5, if not DEF his top 10 and he's one of the OG's in the south.

why would someone be placing what they believe to be a slightly above average rapper, in a top 5 rappers list? Criteria for hip hop is always gonna lean towards guys who are GREAT lyricist & make multi layered music.

Honestly at this point, you can't even really make a top 5. Everybody's hype had cooled down. You have Kendrick, Drake, Future, and maybe Migos. We don't know how long they'll stay hot.

This is where i think people are getting confused i don't think their top 5 was based off hotness... it was based off talent and rhyming ability ..... I like the Migos they aren't top 5 in terms of rapping skills

no way big sean is more versatile than future lol
big sean actually bites future often now.
regardless of that, future has way more range.... big sean can't make a hndrxx.
big sean is a lyricist in the same way that fab is, lol dude has so many corny punchlines.
not even sure why y'all still praise "lyricists" anyway... that doesn't equate to you making good music, or even being a good rapper/artist.
In 2017 I would much rather listen to a Uzi or 21 song before Big Sean.

Why would any artist wanna make hndrxx.... :lol:
You acting like that trash is a master piece lmao

Big sean takes a dookie on future.

& blessings to you if that's what YOU wanna listen too. However there's still millions of people in the world who care about what is being said in a song & care about rappers being able to rap.

N***** gon go crazy when rappers start using hardcore / screamo vocals on a beat :rofl::rofl:

& blessings to you if that's what YOU wanna listen too. However there's still millions of people in the world who care about what is being said in a song & care about rappers being able to rap.
there's a reason that lyrical music doesn't sell well so compare those "millions" to the tens and hundreds of millions that dont care about lyrics.

I wonder if r&b/soul...or any other genre with singing involved will ever get to a point where someone says "i'm not sure why ya'll praise good vocalists anyway" :lol:
apples to oranges.... although i'm sure being a good vocalist doesn't automatically mean you make good r&b music.

no way big sean is more versatile than future lol
big sean actually bites future often now.
regardless of that, future has way more range.... big sean can't make a hndrxx.
big sean is a lyricist in the same way that fab is, lol dude has so many corny punchlines.
not even sure why y'all still praise "lyricists" anyway... that doesn't equate to you making good music, or even being a good rapper/artist.
In 2017 I would much rather listen to a Uzi or 21 song before Big Sean.

More range :lol:

but when I was describing 50, Sean is the exact opposite. His package distracts from his talent. His voice is pretty terrible, and distracts from his flows and cadences. You have to actually pay attention to lyrics.

You probably love Lil Wayne though :lol:

Give me the guy who tries to do something positive with his voice instead of influencing kids to OD

there's a reason that lyrical music doesn't sell well so compare those "millions" to the tens and hundreds of millions that dont care about lyrics.

Because rap fans are stupid?

Fast food isn't good for you, but it sells a lot. Does it mean it's good for you? But whole foods and Sweetgreen exist? So what does that mean?

If it doesn't sell...why are Run The Jewels so big? Why does Kendrick sell so many records?

Maybe one day some of you will realize it's intentional. Keep you not involved and distracted. It's the same reason Colin Kaepernick doesn't have a job, to try to keep everyone in line.

Lyrics don't sell well??? Hmmm

Pretty sure J Cole, Kendrick, Jay Z and Drake are the only Rap Artists who are able to go platinum nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom