Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Dudes are cool with giving credit to Lil Wayne and Future for the **** like the sound of music, but when it comes to the ills they've popularized dudes get defensive.

Well, Bobby Brown was using drugs too. George Clinton was using drugs.

Dudes can't have real conversations.

And we'll be having the same conversation again in a couple of months.

They aren’t perfect people. They too, are part of “the problem” if you want to call it that. But while recognizing what they contributed is harmful.....addiction, sex, drugs, rock and roll and debauchery is a cultural issue that didn’t just start in 2010 with them rapping, or popularizing lean and other drugs in music.

Y’all love to make it seem like, “new rappers” who “glorify drug use” because of guys like Wayne and Future are some new phenomena....and it completely misses the larger point and real conversation to be had. This isn’t a “caping” or “defending” post...which this thread increasingly turns into.

This is more to look at the societal root and subcultures within music and destructive behavior...that’s much deeper than the surface level dudes rush to blame to. I’m always down for a true conversation on this topic...in good faith. But we aren’t going to get that here. Just reactionary posts. I already see how this will go :lol:.

NWA, 2pac, etc were all accountable for promoting gun violence and the byproduct of it...

but Wayne and Future can’t be blamed????

Y’all dudes holler in here, come hell or high water “THESE MUSICIANS HAVE MORE INFLUENCE THAN PARENTS! Look at the METRICS LOOK AT THE STREAMS!!”

KIDS LISTEN TO THE RAPPERS, NOT PARENTS!! DA YUTE IS IMPRESSIONABLE.....

“oh nah bruh, Wayne and Future ain’t responsible for this”

picksy choosey....

I'm 30 so the folks I know who were influenced by them dudes mostly grew up and out of it, or died or locked up. I don't be around young cats like that. but it's a cycle of events when you really look at it.

the people being named now are just the hot folks being imitated.

it's generational like everything else in rap/hip hop. it's become worse because kids worship these dudes. our kids celebrate things that destroy them whether it be gangsta/drill rap, drug consumption/sales, or letting your ego rule you.

it always ends up "well these guys etc etc etc". nah man. all this **** been ****ed up for years.
“but it's a cycle of events when you really look at it.”

and

“it always ends up "well these guys etc etc etc". nah man. all this **** been ****ed up for years.”

All that needs to be said. Anybody blaming one specific person is showing their true stance on the subject

Serious question, how many of you have ever tried a substance based on the influence of someone rapping about it?

Any substance that I tried I feel like has always been more so from the influence of friends than from music. Never have tried lean though, good on that.

I would argue that Cocaine is prob a safer drug to use recreationally than the laced pills that these young rappers are using.

Hell nah :lol:

Unless you just super plugged in a big portion of the coke out there is cut w meth, adderall, fent and a bunch of other stuff.

I don't mess w either but w the pills there's a better chance that its legit and came from the pharmacy

“but it's a cycle of events when you really look at it.”

and

“it always ends up "well these guys etc etc etc". nah man. all this **** been ****ed up for years.”

All that needs to be said. Anybody blaming one specific person is showing their true stance on the subject

Exactly! But this is a hard concept for many to understand :lol:.

Being an addict In hip hop was looked down on though at one point. Dudes would rather be dealers than addicts. The golden era of hip hop artists weren’t talking about popping pills,

RIP Juice...Young boy was super talented. I was hoping he would drop a tape with Thug, they always brought out the best of each other imo...

He had Bibby chilling with his feet up, I wonder if this will push him to make a return to the booth.

On a side note, I was halfway joking about that Future post yesterday but damn...Seeing him say Future’s music influenced him to try lean is just sad. It’s a testament to how good the ***** music is, he make you wanna do **** you know you don’t have no business doing. I need my dawg to switch it up and use his powers for good. He could change the world.

Look at what March Madness did with Police brutality.

Everybody consuming **** acting up running from their emotions and trying to cope with reality. Pain is so ingrained in our community man.

Being an addict In hip hop was looked down on though at one point. Dudes would rather be dealers than addicts. The golden era of hip hop artists weren’t talking about popping pills,

All the people they were selling dope to had kids and now them kids addicts making music about drinking cough syrup

the **** is a cycle

Don’t matter how you wanna twist it, the same ****** who wanna blame Wayne has to blame those who rapped about it before him. Wayne didn’t just pick up syrup and pills by himself

Serious question, how many of you have ever tried a substance based on the influence of someone rapping about it?

Any substance that I tried I feel like has always been more so from the influence of friends than from music. Never have tried lean though, good on that.

never. All I had to do was look at the fiends or basers in the hood and know that drugs and drinking wasn’t for me. Also, this scene from menace and when Eddie King tried to rejoin the 5 heartbeats

this n_ had rotten and yellow teeth, looked like he bathed in brackish/brine water, talking about s**** a penis for some rocks?? HELL NALLL!

Don’t matter how you wanna twist it, the same ****** who wanna blame Wayne has to blame those who rapped about it before him. Wayne didn’t just pick up syrup and pills by himself
We’re 36 and screw as popular as Wayne?

Wayne influenced more people than them.
So this is basically what you’re saying?

anigif_enhanced-9176-1428539383-10.gif

We’re 36 and screw as popular as Wayne?

Eminem was. But I’m not even going to get into that, he did this then....they did this now bs that this always falls too. But riding the hip hop moral line has always been an incredibly, slippery slope....drenched in hypocrisy. And it always comes from some bs generational gap ****. I hate it.

*****s don’t really want to address this on a larger scale. Just pick and choose times to wag their finger at destructive behavior :lol:. Once you step back and look at the entire picture...and with music specifically and how it’s BEEN intertwined with Drug use and harmful behavior...you’d get a better view.

Wayne influenced more people than them. Wayne was prob influenced by the streets of Nola more than scree and 36. Nola isn’t far from Houston.

He reflects that same sort of nihilist attitude on "Me and My Drank," which pays homage to rap's previous syrup casualties: "I sip that Big Moe, I drink that Pimp C / rest in peace Big Moe, rest in peace Pimp C / and **** what they say / Mr. DJ Screw I'ma do this for you

Back
Top Bottom