Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

****** always did drugs and always gon do drugs

But this decade and even maybe starting w Wayne (maybe even early 2000’s/late 90’s 3 6 mafia/dj screw/etc. era), I think the trendiness of doing hard drugs without really knowing what u getting into long term did peak and that’s someone from this generation saying it, ditzy mfs just casually do xans and all types of pills and **** lol. ****** move too fast. RIP juicewlrd

Last edited:
Y'all cant keep fronting like this on the issue man.

How it is today aint how it was back then. Wu tang or whoever rapping about smoking sees and water was not as prevalent as how dudes talk about being on lean and popping pills. No way near the same. Regardless the impact and influence is still there. The gang violence and drug dealing is what was at its peak back then. Now its drug using. Rappers naturally can be blamed for that.

Blame is a strong word
But people are following more than ever
From them ugly big shoes and
Fanny packs around dudes neck/chest
To even the drugs .

This. You can't blame somebody for another person choosing to use and abuse drugs but the influence is still there. I think everybody in here is aware of the many different reasons people use drugs and know it's not something new. From musicians to regular people in society different drugs have effected different generations and there have influences through those times. When most people in here talk about influence they don't talk about it on a large scale they talk about right now. Who's poppin now and the ones that directly influenced them. Parliament influenced people to do drugs in 70's, Rick James did in the 80's, gangster rap in the 90's influenced drug dealing, Wayne, Future, Gucci, Thug have influenced drug use among people today. That's just what it is.

Ja Rule saying “and I keep em drugged up off that extacy “ was always wild to me imagine if someone said that in 2019 lol
Rick Ross basically said that. “I put Molly’s all in her drink she ain’t even know it.”

Ja Rule saying “and I keep em drugged up off that extacy “ was always wild to me imagine if someone said that in 2019 lol

giphy.gif

What was that thread on here in Music section that had all the soul music from the 70’s 80’s, what’s it called?

I know I saw illphillip illphillip in there posting ****

Theres been so many. I believe there was a “soul” thread. Samples thread had a ton of that. Various R+B threads. And now one umbrella R+B thread.

I just looked and you started this one :lol:

I thought this one went longer than it did...

It’s not a rapper’s job to be a role model to anyone.

They’ve been playing this blame game on rappers for decades now. It’s easier than examining the complex reasons why people actually develop drug habits.

Yeah, it's not their job

and one of the reasons is how drug use has been promoted.

but you don't think rappers have made gangs, violence and drug use more popular over the past 30 years?

Theres been so many. I believe there was a “soul” thread. Samples thread had a ton of that. Various R+B threads. And now one umbrella R+B thread.

I just looked and you started this one :lol:

I thought this one went longer than it did...

Yeah I was tight when all of em had like only 4 replies lol

I think that samples one is the one I had in mind tho

Yeah, it's not their job
and one of the reasons is how drug use has been promoted.
but you don't think rappers have made gangs, violence and drug use more popular over the past 30 years?

But drug use has been promoted for decades now by musicians and movie stars alike. Musicians in the 50s and 60s sang about and promoted weed and psychedelics non stop. The Disco era of the 80s was influenced almost entirely by cocaine. It’s nothing new or exclusive to Hip Hop.

And of course any thing that promotes drug use or violence in a positive way is not good. But to be fair, I’ve heard plenty of rappers that talk about drugs and violence in a positive light, but also have songs that talk about the negative effect that drugs and gang violence has on themselves, their family, and their community.

I think instead of asking if rappers have popularized drugs and gang violence over the years, you ask why these things have become such a prevalent and common theme in the music nowadays. It’s a reflection of the communities they live in and what they see on a daily basis.

Last edited:
A bunch of bozos in here.

Alcohol and drugs been in rap for decades but Wayne was the biggest influence on these younger rappers, they tell everyone he was their idol. Those Wayne lean and pill songs reached way more people than the UGK and Hypnotized Minds songs did.

We can also make a great case that Gucci and Wayne are responsible for all this terrible rap music today, basically killed Rap and filled it with talentless addicts

Last edited:
A bunch of bozos in here.

Alcohol and drugs been in rap for decades but Wayne was the biggest influence on these younger rappers, they tell themselves he was their idol. Those Wayne lean and pill songs reached way more people than the UGK and Hypnotized Minds songs did.
This

Y'all cant keep fronting like this on the issue man.

How it is today aint how it was back then. Wu tang or whoever rapping about smoking sees and water was not as prevalent as how dudes talk about being on lean and popping pills. No way near the same. Regardless the impact and influence is still there. The gang violence and drug dealing is what was at its peak back then. Now its drug using. Rappers naturally can be blamed for that.

I think the biggest difference is the stigma associated with the type of drugs

Molly, Percs, drank, addy etc are way more accepted in the grand scheme and appeal to a way wider range of ppl

$30 percs and $200 cups of drank everyday is a money flex more than anything :lol:

But drug use has been promoted for decades now by musicians and movie stars alike. Musicians in the 50s and 60s sang about and promoted weed and psychedelics non stop. The Disco era of the 80s was influenced almost entirely by cocaine. It’s nothing new or exclusive to Hip Hop.

And of course any thing that promotes drug use or violence in a positive way is not good. But to be fair, I’ve heard plenty of rappers that talk about drugs and violence in a positive light, but also have songs that talk about the negative effect that drugs and gang violence has on themselves, their family, and their community.

I think instead of asking if rappers have popularized drugs and gang violence over the years, you ask why these things have become such a prevalent and common theme in the music nowadays. It’s a reflection of the communities they live in and what they see on a daily basis.

“It's nasty when you set us up, Then roll the dice, then bet us up / You overnight the big rifles, then tell Fox to be scared of us / Gang members are terrorists, et cetera, et cetera / America's reflections of me, that's what a mirror does” - K Dot

Deflecting is a hell of a drug.

When exactly did lean become a reflection of their communities? Juice Wld is from where? Yams was from where?

With a lotta the gang violence that was going on in the late 80s and 90s, that was a reflection of the drug game happening in the hoods. Sure some of it had some kids wildin out for a name.

Magic33 Magic33 with the question you’re asking it’s pretty clear hip hop has a greater responsibility. If our music is the most popular that tells you something.

I think this is one of those things that some of you will realize once you get older. I used to defend rap music also. You see it as an attack on your culture. When it should be the opposite, young people dying is the attack.

I noticed something. Drugs, alcohol and guns were placed in our communities to destroy us.

I saw the shift in positive rap in the late 80's to the gang centered kind in the 90's. It wasn't because the positive rap wasn't selling, so it wasn't about money. I saw who controls and promotes that music. It all goes hand in hand.

Back
Top Bottom