Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

With a lotta the gang violence that was going on in the late 80s and 90s, that was a reflection of the drug game happening in the hoods. Sure some of it had some kids wildin out for a name.

Magic33 Magic33 with the question you’re asking it’s pretty clear hip hop has a greater responsibility. If our music is the most popular that tells you something.

I may be completely off on my assessment of the entire situation...but the demographic targeted by the younger generation of rappers who include heavy pill and lean usage in their music and persona aren’t kids from the hood.

Popping pills has always been a suburban thing traditionally or at least it is where I’m from.

I may be completely off on my assessment of the entire situation...but the demographic targeted by the younger generation of rappers who include heavy pill and lean usage in their music and persona aren’t kids from the hood.

Popping pills has always been a suburban thing traditionally or at least it is where I’m from.

Yeah you’re hitting on what I was also thinking about.The target audience isn’t the same anymore as the music itself changes.

Yeah you’re hitting on what I was also thinking about.The target audience isn’t the same anymore as the music itself changes.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks all of these labels are fully aware of these artists and their drug problems. But their substance abuse sells, and relates to the suburban demographic who streams their music, goes to the concerts, ,makes viral videos to their songs who also uses pills themselves.

It’s so many parents at the school I teach at who instead of spending time and talking with their depressed kid, just throws money and doctors visits at the problems, which just results in more prescriptions.

I serve on the Student mental health committee and I would say 80% of the kids under watch (have documented mental health/depression/ suicidal thoughts) have the same musical playlist. Every Lil rapper you can think of. It’s kind of wild but that’s just my far left opinion on the situation.

I noticed something. Drugs, alcohol and guns were placed in our communities to destroy us.

I saw the shift in positive rap in the late 80's to the gang centered kind in the 90's. It wasn't because the positive rap wasn't selling, so it wasn't about money. I saw who controls and promotes that music. It all goes hand in hand.

23D523C0-BE4B-42F6-9239-1676005367A3.gif

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks all of these labels are fully aware of these artists and their drug problems. But their substance abuse sells, and relates to the suburban demographic who streams their music, goes to the concerts, ,makes viral videos to their songs who also uses pills themselves.

It’s so many parents at the school I teach at who instead of spending time and talking with their depressed kid, just throws money and doctors visits at the problems, which just results in more prescriptions.

I serve on the Student mental health committee and I would say 80% of the kids under watch (have documented mental health/depression/ suicidal thoughts) have the same musical playlist. Every Lil rapper you can think of. It’s kind of wild but that’s just my far left opinion on the situation.

Its not a conspiracy theory if it’s pretty much true. On breakfast club Lyor Cohen in so many words said he would still work with, sign and promote an artist who is an addict making songs about that lifestyle.

Its not a conspiracy theory if it’s pretty much true. On breakfast club Lyor Cohen in so many words said he would still work with, sign and promote an artist who is an addict making songs about that lifestyle.

These labels gonna make money off these junkies dead or alive. Most of these cats don’t even own their masters, so when they die and their streaming numbers and record sales increase, the labels will make more money off them.

These labels gonna make money off these junkies dead or alive. Most of these cats don’t even own their masters, so when they die and their streaming numbers and record sales increase, the labels will make more money off them.

Nothing is more lucrative than a dead rapper..look at how they’re milking X.

Here's what I kind of think

Hip-Hop has become so popular, and has also become so easy to make...At the top of hip-hop, the Drake's/Kendrick's/Cole's etc those guys make rap music that requires a bit more talent to make, but because rap is such an easy lick to hit, and it's so popular, people don't even have to aspire to be Drake / Kendrick / Cole anymore, they can just aspire to be Future (No shots, I'm a fan) make a catchy record about gang violence and drugs, throw it up on streaming via tune core and boom, cash out.

That incentives rap culture to be where it's at now, where the overall gist of pop rap is young ****** strung out and banging. I also think that in 2019, in order to "pop" you have to be believable, which leads to aspiring artists leaning all the way into the lifestyle that they simply had an affinity for, but now because they wanna rap, dive into fully.

Music and Drugs has been intertwined for decades though. It's not a Hip-Hop thing. It's a people, and entertainment industry thing. It's an Accessibility thing, in which we as people love drugs, and celebs have unlimited access to them. We'd all be like Juice Wrld (exaggerating) if we had the access to drugs that he does.

And not all of Hip-Hop is subject to this. There's something for everyone. But the ease at which you can create a hot record, (especially if you're popular in your city) creates a climate in which guys are attacking the low hanging fruit of Drugs and Gangs and incorporate it into the music, and if you're already a gang banger, it just incentives it even more.

Last edited:
Most rappers who you hear about are already popping in their city to some degree,

If you popping in your city you already have access to all the gang ****, the drug ****, you already indulge in it anyway, just throw the lifestyle on a "Juice Wrld type beat" via YouTube, our culture is already being conditioned to like simple *** rap music so it won't be hard to come up w/some catchy ****, throw the record on tune core, you already popping in your city so it's going to do enough for you to hit a lick off of it, and boom, you got a record and the success of that record entices you to continue on w/the lifestyle. And we in 2020 so you gotta live your raps for the gram, and if it gets enough traction every rap outlet will post and cosign it regardless of how destructive the content of the music may be.

The above is our culture in a nutshell. A culture that at large, welcomes drug usage w/open arms as long as it slaps.

No one grows up wanting to be Jay Z, Kendrick anymore. They wanna be thug, future, and Wayne. The latter's aesthetic is easier to achieve, the music is easier to make, IMO requires less talent, and is far more lucrative due to how popular rap is.

/rant.

Most rappers who you hear about are already popping in their city to some degree,

If you popping in your city you already have access to all the gang ****, the drug ****, you already indulge in it anyway, just throw the lifestyle on a "Juice Wrld type beat" via YouTube, our culture is already being conditioned to like simple *** rap music so it won't be hard to come up w/some catchy ****, throw the record on tune core, you already popping in your city so it's going to do enough for you to hit a lick off of it, and boom, you got a record and the success of that record entices you to continue on w/the lifestyle. And we in 2020 so you gotta live your raps for the gram, and if it gets enough traction every rap outlet will post and cosign it regardless of how destructive the content of the music may be.

The above is our culture in a nutshell. A culture that at large, welcomes drug usage w/open arms as long as it slaps.

No one grows up wanting to be Jay Z, Kendrick anymore. They wanna be thug, future, and Wayne. The latter's aesthetic is easier to achieve, the music is easier to make, IMO requires less talent, and is far more lucrative due to how popular rap is.

/rant.

Partially...but again....what you’re describing isn’t new at all. Forgot who was on drink champs...but they were discussing how dudes in their youth crashed out on the OD gangsta **** when Onyx and Wutang, mob deep etc came with that energy. Like, dudes were already from these neighborhoods...so they knew what it was. But they went from dancing and having fun...to rocking carharts, toting guns, not smiling, rocking baldies and doubling down into that gangster image. Same ***** happened again when 50 came out. Seen people crash out trying to live what they thought was the lifestyle easy to imitate.

I’ll find the interview when I get off the plane. But essentially talking about going from cross colors, dancing and positivity and Chuck D etc....to being OD grimy and destructive. It’s similar, and isn’t a talent thing. It’s what’s exciting to imitate thing moreso. All of it is imitating being dangerous and destructive. And that sells.

A bunch of bozos in here.

Alcohol and drugs been in rap for decades but Wayne was the biggest influence on these younger rappers, they tell everyone he was their idol. Those Wayne lean and pill songs reached way more people than the UGK and Hypnotized Minds songs did.

We can also make a great case that Gucci and Wayne are responsible for all this terrible rap music today, basically killed Rap and filled it with talentless addicts

“Me & My Drank” and rockstar Wa_n_ were directly responsible for that.

Back
Top Bottom