Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Here's what I kind of think

Hip-Hop has become so popular, and has also become so easy to make...At the top of hip-hop, the Drake's/Kendrick's/Cole's etc those guys make rap music that requires a bit more talent to make, but because rap is such an easy lick to hit, and it's so popular, people don't even have to aspire to be Drake / Kendrick / Cole anymore, they can just aspire to be Future (No shots, I'm a fan) make a catchy record about gang violence and drugs, throw it up on streaming via tune core and boom, cash out.

That incentives rap culture to be where it's at now, where the overall gist of pop rap is young *****s strung out and banging. I also think that in 2019, in order to "pop" you have to be believable, which leads to aspiring artists leaning all the way into the lifestyle that they simply had an affinity for, but now because they wanna rap, dive into fully.

Music and Drugs has been intertwined for decades though. It's not a Hip-Hop thing. It's a people, and entertainment industry thing. It's an Accessibility thing, in which we as people love drugs, and celebs have unlimited access to them. We'd all be like Juice Wrld (exaggerating) if we had the access to drugs that he does.

And not all of Hip-Hop is subject to this. There's something for everyone. But the ease at which you can create a hot record, (especially if you're popular in your city) creates a climate in which guys are attacking the low hanging fruit of Drugs and Gangs and incorporate it into the music, and if you're already a gang banger, it just incentives it even more.
This where I been at with it as far as the "new" and "soundcloud" rappers...They make a song talking about what they think is popular, 90% of the time it doesn't make sense if you know anything about the real lifestyle..When they get on they really try to see what its all about and its easy to get lost in it at that point

Always funny to hear some 17 year old that just got on, talking bout how much drugs yo doing and ppl he shot at...Can tell everything they know is from other songs or the internet, im thinkin like "thats not really how this goes" :lol: :smh: ...Not surprising tho, just is what it is

This where I been at with it as far as the "new" and "soundcloud" rappers...They make a song talking about what they think is popular, 90% of the time it doesn't make sense if you know anything about the real lifestyle..When they get on they really try to see what its all about and its easy to get lost in it at that point

Always funny to hear some 17 year old that just got on, talking bout how much drugs yo doing and ppl he shot at...Can tell everything they know is from other songs or the internet, im thinkin like "thats not really how this goes" :lol: :smh: ...Not surprising tho, just is what it is

This describes NAV, except he’s 30 instead of 17 :lol:

Did any of you know who Harvey Weinstein was two years ago?

Because Russell had a movie about him in the 80's.

Oprah been on some funny ****. Back in the 80's she said "black people use slavery as a excuse". She tries to play both sides. Pander to that white soccer mom crowd then the next day she's some fake civil rights black woman.

You have any evidence she said that? Because I've never heard that and on the internet stuff is spread that isn't factual. Like Michael Jordan saying republicans buy sneakers too.

Weinstein, even the Epstein case. That has been the most talked about thing lately. She won't do a doc on about those men because they're connected to so many other people. It would lead to a rabbit hole exposing people she does business with.

I see what you saying but it’s not like she developing/creating this doc bro :lol:

She just recently signed on as EP, they likely approached her with the already finished product

Yeah she likely just attaching herself

she did that with the Neverland joint too I think. smooth blew up in their faces.

Even if she's "just attaching herself" she ain't doing that for no reason.
I don't buy into the "Oprah's trying to take down black men" but I'm curious what her involvement means

Even if she's "just attaching herself" she ain't doing that for no reason.
I don't buy into the "Oprah's trying to take down black men" but I'm curious what her involvement means

TimesUp x MeToo money probably

remember she did that speech like last year

Did any of you know who Harvey Weinstein was two years ago?

Because Russell had a movie about him in the 80's.

Harvey Weinstein was a HUGE name in the movie industry before MeToo. I knew who he was when I was a young teenager :lol:
He was attached to every Tarantino movie up until MeToo

Being in shape and working out is looked at as "uncool" to some _'s while drinking, being high, built like Chief Keef is lit. _'s really got the game f'ed up.

I always worked out and lift weights but I don't even drink sodas no more. Ain't had one in almost 2 years. Stopped eating meat like I use I use to, don't eat 3 meals a day. We don't need to eat that much. Makes you sluggish.
Anybody that thinks being in shape is uncool has some serious mental issues. Aint never heard no **** like that
People are saying that more rappers/musicians need to promote a healthy lifestyle but call Tyler The Creator a weirdo.... dude has been straight edge since he came into the game.

Even the people in here who claim to live a sober lifestyle admit to listen into to the addict style music in one form or another. That’s what sells and what is “hot.”

A culture shift in general needs to happen.
Eating roaches is straight edge?

Harvey Weinstein was a HUGE name in the movie industry before MeToo. I knew who he was when I was a young teenager :lol:
He was attached to every Tarantino movie up until MeToo

Being known in Hollywood doesn't mean he was known to the general public.

TimesUp x MeToo money probably

remember she did that speech like last year

Point taken, her being involved probably does play very well with women and is worth the relatively small displeasure from mostly men with her involvement with these docs

Point taken, her being involved probably does play very well with women and is worth the relatively small displeasure from mostly men with her involvement with these docs

Yeah we far out of her target demographic. Oprah is a billionaire and it’s not cuz of folks like us :lol:

Being known in Hollywood doesn't mean he was known to the general public.
Like I said, I knew who he was at a young age and how powerful he was. Maybe it’s because I’ve always been into movies but I wouldn’t act like nobody knew the name when it was flashing on a giant screen before some of the biggest movies out would begin.

Ja Rule saying “and I keep em drugged up off that extacy “ was always wild to me imagine if someone said that in 2019 lol

they saying and doing..... and RECORDING wilder s*** in 2019. Y’all gotta stop this PC nonsense. The content is worse if not EQUAL to pass generations. Again, kids can log onto SM and get exposed to, and listen to all types of wild outlandish s***.

I be seeing kids watch Roblox videos on YouTube and the gamers be saying WILD hedonistic stuff and using sexual innuendo. It’s worse in 2019

Yeah, it's not their job

and one of the reasons is how drug use has been promoted.

but you don't think rappers have made gangs, violence and drug use more popular over the past 30 years?

like how the mob, hollywood, dudes like John Dillinger and Baby Face Nelson made being a gangster or mafioso popular? Out there using Tommy guns, shooting up everything in the 20s - 70s? If we gone blame rap, blame the MOB too....

I think the biggest difference is the stigma associated with the type of drugs

Molly, Percs, drank, addy etc are way more accepted in the grand scheme and appeal to a way wider range of ppl

$30 percs and $200 cups of drank everyday is a money flex more than anything :lol:

A junky CANNOT flex on me...... :lol: :lol: :rofl:

like my n_, you are an ADDICT. This is an oxymoron. :rofl:

while hiphop of the past has always included drugs & self destructive behavior it has worsened in this generation based off visibility, social climate & a complete lack of accountability mixed together.

These pills & Lean are a more dangerous drug then anything that's been introduced in hiphop & now instead of just hearing it in song, you have unlimited access to these rappers & their lifestyle. So now it's much more in your face & promoted than before.

like how the mob, hollywood, dudes like John Dillinger and Baby Face Nelson made being a gangster or mafioso popular? Out there using Tommy guns, shooting up everything in the 20s - 70s? If we gone blame rap, blame the MOB too....

it’s def cultural. but it’s American culture.

we are sick.

you def gotta account for social media. it’s making everything worse faster. humans already trash, social media and celebrity worship making it crazier.

show millions of misguided Americans their favorite celebrities indulging in and glamorizing some ********......... here we are. combine it with letting Hollywood and rich white mf raise your kids.

kids are ****** before they even get started

trynafeelmink trynafeelmink Again, you said SOCIAL CLIMATE.... and still are blaming hip hop. Y’all need to hold everyone accountable. No one is forcing people to follow certain individuals lifestyles online. It’s a CHOICE.

those Kardashian shows and reality TV are just as worse if not equal to how rap gets criticized....

they promote nothing positive. Society as a whole is promoting self destruction and immorality. The adults are worse than the kids out here. And, they’re procreating :lol: :rofl:

was this EM verse talked about in here recently diss to nick ?

or am i being lazy and not going back far enough to see ? if so my apologies

starts at 2:14 where i posted the video

it’s def cultural. but it’s American culture.

we are sick.

you def gotta account for social media. it’s making everything worse faster. humans already trash, social media and celebrity worship making it crazier.

show millions of misguided Americans their favorite celebrities indulging in and glamorizing some bull****......... here we are. combine it with letting Hollywood and rich white mf raise your kids.

kids are ****ed before they even get started

exactly! America is full of sickos who like to point blame and lack accountability!

This kinda reads off like "Yea he did it but so was everybody else"

lol I guess it does read like that but it wasn’t exactly my intent. More so acknowledgement that society has changed a lot in the last 30 years and what was once acceptable (albeit wrong) may no longer be seen as such.

Russ was a self admitted wild man in the 80s and early 90s. Didn’t seem like he negatively impacted too many other people until the me too movement. Now I guess it’s time to gauge how society as a whole judges all of our past actions.

I consider myself a fairly socially conscious dude but I’d be lying if I said I always lived like this. Hell I don’t even think you’d have to look that far back on my twitter to find something that would be considered socially unacceptable now. I think the same can be said for most people including Russ, but if this piece does however prove that Russ was playing different the entire time I guess I’m open to hearing or seeing how.

Back
Top Bottom