Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Kanye…who does music with 6ix9ine and trippy red and *****s like that, has the got damn nerve :lol:

I will say…he has a point. And Drill, more so that “trap” is really f’n a lot of people up in the world.

Anyway, people who don’t have the ball anymore and are hypocrites can stop complaining.

Johnny Cinco, just dropped his deluxe :pimp:. One of the best projects of this year

As someone who listens to a lot of trap/drill today & someone who was also raised listening to 90's drug rap & west coast gangsta rap.... I will say that today's music gives a 95/5 balance at most. And the addition of IG & social media has only made this "lifestyle" even easier to copy & spread.

In regards to pete rocks actual post i think he's just talking about the actual music itself & the push for MAINSTREAM music to all sound similar. Interestingly enough i saw a clip of Cassidy today talking about how producers using these programs started to make Robotic sounding music. Almost like the sounds were too perfect & too formulaic.

We've heard the story of Craig Kallmans "formula" at Atlantic which includes using specific BPM's & sounds etc etc.. Again i don't think these are "new" to rap but these problem issues have continued to grow & worsen as the years progressed.
If your intact 95/5 that's a you thing. That's your problem. There's a bigger balance today b/c of the internet. Social media is well. You're targeting that stuff and your algorithm is feeding you.
We really gon talk about what's moral or not in entertainment? R&B music can be morally wrong.
I agree which is why I was put off from the genre up until the last few years. I hated the promotion of infidelity & a huge chunk of misery w/n that genre & even now I just don't connect w/ a good amount of those songs I don't w/ a lot of trap & topics to that effect.

Beyonces "Lemonade" album, I think its good, but I don't like it b/c of the message it conquers with. I like Uzi (not trap), but a huge portion of his songs is him telling me he's gonna **** my *****. Don't call my girl a *****. I ain't tryna here that **** for an hour+ w/ no type of configured story behind it.

Name names. #Yall always do THIS. And, “The people I praise”…ARE talented :lol:. And contrary to what you think, don’t use auto tune nearly as much as you think.

Again, this is a catchall term and you’re using it as a crudgel to hate on this generation. Music is waaaaay too vast today to ven play this game. I can go without listening to what is “hot” and find a sub genre that suits me at the click of a finger. Everybody got a damn lane. He more resourceful and actually listen to what YOU like. I swear it’s easy.

People going to the same producers isn’t something new. I hate the most of the Young Berg/Hitmaka lazy samples as well. But as you rightly said, it’s from the Puff Daddy playbook of old with the samples.

Nothing new.

Meh I’ll bite on this. I’m gonna leave Future out just cause you can consider him “elite” of these dudes.

Lil Baby
Gunna
Young Thug
YFN Lucci
Morray
Money Man
Derez Deshon
Lil Keed
Roddy Ricch
Polo G
Lil Gotit
NBA Youngboy
OG Three3
Sahbabii
Trippie Redd
Juice World
Coy Leroy
Toosii

There’s obviously differences between all of them, but this in general is mostly autotune whiny harmonizing or emo thug raps. Morray is the only real singer on there. I mess with Money Man and Gunna cause they just keep it simple and production is always on point. One YouTube search and BET Jams session would open a Pandora’s box of more oF these types. It’s the easiest and most accessible style to do.

Again when people are making these complaints they are usually talking about mainstream rap & what is played on Radio, top of the streaming list, videos, What the machine is putting money behind.

The industry damn sure isn't pushing a healthy balance :lol: , It's as repetitive as ever & the messaging is solely on negative vibes, Doesn't mean that good artist or good music can't exist in it but it's the truth.

This is America, the entire culture of this country is built on obtaining **** that isn't necessarily good for you

Also :lol: at ****** like Pete rock & Kanye mad at "not having the ball" that is apparently being dribbled by Johnny Cinco

If you don’t like new music, listen to old ****. OR PARENTS NEED TO TRAIN OR TEACH THEIR KIDS ABOUT the music they like. Taste in music STARTS at home. IDC what nobody says. Kids gone listen to what their parents listen to...

the music is a direct representation of parents

As someone who listens to a lot of trap/drill today & someone who was also raised listening to 90's drug rap & west coast gangsta rap.... I will say that today's music gives a 95/5 balance at most. And the addition of IG & social media has only made this "lifestyle" even easier to copy & spread.

In regards to pete rocks actual post i think he's just talking about the actual music itself & the push for MAINSTREAM music to all sound similar. Interestingly enough i saw a clip of Cassidy today talking about how producers using these programs started to make Robotic sounding music. Almost like the sounds were too perfect & too formulaic.

We've heard the story of Craig Kallmans "formula" at Atlantic which includes using specific BPM's & sounds etc etc.. Again i don't think these are "new" to rap but these problem issues have continued to grow & worsen as the years progressed.

Post that Cassidy vid

Joe pump faked for the longest about doing that Craig Kallman episode on ES :lol:

I remember hearing from someone who was a guest on there about a song formula too.

Some of y’all showing your age on here :lol:

A ton of bad rappers existed before the “trap” era.
Songs about drugs, guns, and money also existed before the trap era. None of this is unique to 2010+.

I’m not saying it’s a good thing, but let’s not romanticize the past. Rappers weren’t giving you top tier uplifting bars in the early 00s either.

Grine Grine slide 3, she can sing, but I don't feel anything most of the time I hear her music. Her stuff seems performative to me. Maybe that's what he means by "she cain't sang", like there's no soul:

Listen to the difference:

*I doubled:

Both can sing good, but one has soul.

Last edited:
Again when people are making these complaints they are usually talking about mainstream rap & what is played on Radio, top of the streaming list, videos, What the machine is putting money behind.

The industry damn sure isn't pushing a healthy balance :lol: , It's as repetitive as ever & the messaging is solely on negative vibes, Doesn't mean that good artist or good music can't exist in it but it's the truth.

This is America, the entire culture of this country is built on obtaining **** that isn't necessarily good for you

Also :lol: at ****** like Pete rock & Kanye mad at "not having the ball" that is apparently being dribbled by Johnny Cinco

Meh I’ll bite on this. I’m gonna leave Future out just cause you can consider him “elite” of these dudes.

Lil Baby
Gunna
Young Thug
YFN Lucci
Morray
Money Man
Derez Deshon
Lil Keed
Roddy Ricch
Polo G
Lil Gotit
NBA Youngboy
OG Three3
Sahbabii
Trippie Redd
Juice World
Coy Leroy
Toosii

There’s obviously differences between all of them, but this in general is mostly autotune whiny harmonizing or emo thug raps. Morray is the only real singer on there. I mess with Money Man and Gunna cause they just keep it simple and production is always on point. One YouTube search and BET Jams session would open a Pandora’s box of more oF these types. It’s the easiest and most accessible style to do.

Congrats. You discovered a “sub-genre” and even within that…there are varying differences between a lot of them. I also, dont “champion” all those artist that y’all name :lol:.

You also left off Lil Tjay, Lil Durk, A Boogie, Kevin Gates, Kodak and even Travis Scott and some others. That’s a really weird list of artsy. A lot of these people go to the same producers for the same sounds. This has always existed. And in fact, there is a growing and popping movement of older legacy acts…rapping over alchemist, Harry fraud beats etc that YOU would enjoy. Y’all don’t see *****s complaining in here about their sound 24/7. And they are getting to it and got their fan base.

There is a DETROIT scene that is now mainstream. There is an NYC DRILL Scene that is now mainstream. There is a Cali sound…that is now mainstream. There is a Boom Bap scene…that is virtually now mainstream. There are even more of these. And there is pop rap too. All these subgenre’s have artist and producers with similar sounds. Let’s see who’s next.

Truth be told, some of this music…ISNT for you. And that’s ok. I honestly don’t even know why you’d give some of that any attention :lol:.

it’s like…y’all are choosing a certain sub genre that does what it does….and “related/similar” artist and just complaining.

Out of that list And the others I’ve named…there are some talented folks. There are some copy cats. Some wack artist and everything in between.

Alright man mainstream rap is in it's most progressive & original state :lol: , ya'll got it.

One could argue it’s as vast as ever. I never said one word about “progressive and original state”. Those two things actually contradict each other…but you chose to frame it that way, for whatever reason.

Grine Grine slide 3, she can sing, but I don't feel anything most of the time I hear her music. Her stuff seems performative to me. Maybe that's what he means by "she cain't sang", like there's no soul:

Listen to the difference:

Both can sing good, but one has soul.

Man, I dunno. There's folks whose music is soulful but they cant do **** live.

I kind of understand your point, but I just think it majorly downplays the immense talent and skill Beyonce has. Her ability to perform live is otherworldly in the ability to perform and still sound flawless at the same time. Those skills cannot be understated.

And while I get your "soul/feel" point, that feels more so like a product critique and not a skills critique.

Shes no Jennifer. There is but only 1.

Hell, shes no Fantasia. Talk about being able to feel the soul in vocals...

But she ain't no music soul child.

Shes supremely talented. Probably worth the price of a live performance.

Lil Baby
Gunna
Young Thug
YFN Lucci
Morray
Money Man
Derez Deshon
Lil Keed
Roddy Ricch
Polo G
Lil Gotit
NBA Youngboy
OG Three3
Sahbabii
Trippie Redd
Juice World
Coy Leroy
Toosii

This list lazy as hell lol it’s huge differences between everybody on this list, ESPECIALLY Youngboy. He about as 1 of a kind as they come.

Man, I dunno. There's folks whose music is soulful but they cant do **** live.

I kind of understand your point, but I just think it majorly downplays the immense talent and skill Beyonce has. Her ability to perform live is otherworldly in the ability to perform and still sound flawless at the same time. Those skills cannot be understated.

And while I get your "soul/feel" point, that feels more so like a product critique and not a skills critique.

Shes no Jennifer. There is but only 1.

Hell, shes no Fantasia. Talk about being able to feel the soul in vocals...

But she ain't no music soul child.

Shes supremely talented. Probably worth the price of a live performance.
Oh no, I've watched her live and I think that's what carries her. She's an outstanding & expressive performer, Bts the studio for me, it sounds like someone naturally gifted at their job so they don't have to put in as much effort.

I've been digging these this past few days & as much as she's performered this song, it still matches the power of the studio recording:

Back
Top Bottom