Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Janet pen is unmatched. 3peat'd classics, better & more experimental ear. The blackest mega star we've seen. Never implied her blackness & womanhood, she downright said & stood by it. Never played it safe. True goat, no comparison. Her vocals may not be as strong, but they're more powerful. Any throne that exist she sits on. Justin Timberlake is a punk *** *****. I said what I said.

I'm on my last leg for the night but there's some Paul Mooney clips that address this whole thing pretty comedically

Starting at 5:55 Ebro goes into good detail about how radio stations are ran & the immense amount of research that goes into choosing these records. Now granted Radio isn't as dominant anymore but Advertising is & these same methods & ideologies are still used in the streaming era.

Then you got guys like Mike Karen & his formulas.... a lot of this **** is definitely not by mistake & these companies have a major influence on the kind of music that is backed.

There’s an algorithm and a button to push. The playlist these days on Apple/Spotify are far more varied than you’re making it out to be tho. A lot of the guys you like are now on there, as their lanes/platforms and relationships have become bigger/more mainstream. And they’ve cultivated relationships with the ppl at these stations.

No you're getting defensive

Did Pete Rock say all trap was bad? So you could have saved all that typing.

:lol: nothing in my post was defensive. You can’t help yourself on this topic. Again, a larger conversation than what you want it to be

That looks like a list of all the artist of today :lol:

How Nav even made the list and PnB? :lol:

See, idek why y’all would give that list any attention :lol:. marikomorose marikomorose know exactly what he was doing :lol:

It’s like that that recent stupid post by MyMixtapes about the Mt. Rushmore of ATL rap. All meant for ENGAGEMENT and for people to find the lowest hanging fruit to **** on.

That's the thing. I disagree that she's not a vocalist. Her vocals are powerful and her control is near perfect. On top of doing such mastery while performing.

I think she blows Janet's vocals out of the water. But I definitely get the comparison and would agree if I didnt think it downplayed Bey's ability.
Beyonce is a hell of a vocalist, the problem is the songwriting. She doesn't use her voice to the best of it's ability these days. She's leaned too far into the rap singing trendy stuff. She doesn't have a big timeless ballad under her belt. (please don't tell me "Halo") that song is cheesy as hell. She doesn't have a My Heart Will Go On or even an Un-Break My Heart, a Rolling In The Deep or Someone Like You, even a cover like I Will Always Love You. She's gotta get some more mature writers. I wish she'd work with James Blake more, what he gave her with Pray You Catch Me was great

The 808's aren't doing her any favors. Her most mature album "4" is probably her least popular amongst her fan base.
I can watch Beyonce perform all day, but there is never a time where I want to throw on a Beyonce album or hear a particular song from her save for maybe 1 or 2 where she's really singing singing...

See, idek why y’all would give that list any attention :lol:. marikomorose marikomorose know exactly what he was doing :lol:

It’s like that that recent stupid post by MyMixtapes about the Mt. Rushmore of ATL rap. All meant for ENGAGEMENT and for people to find the lowest hanging fruit to **** on.
as long u know he's full of it. had he said "my favourites" instead i'da said nothing.
I'm not going to argue for it against all that other stuff. But this here? Stop it.
wasn't meant to be taken literal.

Beyonce is a hell of a vocalist, the problem is the songwriting. She doesn't use her voice to the best of it's ability these days. She's leaned too far into the rap singing trendy stuff. She doesn't have a big timeless ballad under her belt. (please don't tell me "Halo") that song is cheesy as hell. She doesn't have a My Heart Will Go On or even an Un-Break My Heart, a Rolling In The Deep or Someone Like You, even a cover like I Will Always Love You. She's gotta get some more mature writers. I wish she'd work with James Blake more, what he gave her with Pray You Catch Me was great

The 808's aren't doing her any favors. Her most mature album "4" is probably her least popular amongst her fan base.
I can watch Beyonce perform all day, but there is never a time where I want to throw on a Beyonce album or hear a particular song from her save for maybe 1 or 2 where she's really singing singing...
She got did her thing on this one. Her best song, imo:

Beyonce is a hell of a vocalist, the problem is the songwriting. She doesn't use her voice to the best of it's ability these days. She's leaned too far into the rap singing trendy stuff.
I wanted to touch on that as well but just left it at it being a product critique and not a skill critique. You're 100 percent right. She does not have that signature vocal showcase song, but shes definitely capable of it IMO.

Closest being All Night and 1+1.

S/o to Durk, man:
1624424765495.png

Nasty :lol: :smh:
This is list isn’t even worth debating :lol: :smh:

There’s an algorithm and a button to push. The playlist these days on Apple/Spotify are far more varied than you’re making it out to be tho. A lot of the guys you like are now on there, as their lanes/platforms and relationships have become bigger/more mainstream. And they’ve cultivated relationships with the ppl at these stations.

Are they forreal tho? Yes different kinds of artist may get on these playlist but where are they placed??? how long do they stay on? that's the equivalent of someone getting slot 18 on a clue tape back in the day :lol: . Just Looking at the first 20 on Rap Caviar.

Baby/Durk ----------- Drake/Baby
Thug/Gunna/Drake ----------- Polo G/ Lil Durk
Polo G ----------- Lil Tjay, Offset, Moneybag Yo
Migos -----------Trippie Redd, Playboi Carti
Lil Tecca -----------42 Dugg/ Roddy Rich
Joyner Lucas & Lil Baby -----------Gunna/Uzi/Don Toliver
Da Baby ------------ Lil Tjay/Polo G/Fivio
Baby & Durk ------------Polo G/Wayne
Roddy Rich ------------Cole
Moneybag Yo -------------Migos

Needless to say there's a clear focus on a particular style of rap & content that is given the push.

over the years i don't know how many artist & producers have talked about the BS these playlist are on (Especially if there's no major backing). Every time this convo comes up you try to paint this narrative that anyone who has anything disparaging to say about modern day street music is somehow clamoring for boom bap to rule everything or they don't want to hear anything but tribe :lol:

Several instances of me posting/liking music from these kind of artist through the years, I can enjoy the music & still say that there is a very clear & precise message that mainstream hiphop pushes. It has always been there & now it is going further & further in that direction.

We have a bunch of people who aren't from the culture sitting down with Tech, Analytic, & marketing companies...... making the decision on what the sound of hip hop is going to be. As these practices have become more prominent the BS content has become more prominent as well.

Y’all know that list is just “the 50 rap n****s i’m cool with at the moment”

A swag list sighting in 2021. :lol:

NT’s influence still being felt out in these streets. :nthat:

Back
Top Bottom