Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

S/o to Durk, man:
1624424765495.png

Nasty :lol: :smh:

This list lazy as hell lol it’s huge differences between everybody on this list, ESPECIALLY Youngboy. He about as 1 of a kind as they come.

My first sentence is literally THERE’S OBVIOUSLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM :lol: don’t think the list is lazy at all, it’s the norm.
Congrats. You discovered a “sub-genre” and even within that…there are varying differences between a lot of them. I also, dont “champion” all those artist that y’all name :lol:.

You also left off Lil Tjay, Lil Durk, A Boogie, Kevin Gates, Kodak and even Travis Scott and some others. That’s a really weird list of artsy. A lot of these people go to the same producers for the same sounds. This has always existed. And in fact, there is a growing and popping movement of older legacy acts…rapping over alchemist, Harry fraud beats etc that YOU would enjoy. Y’all don’t see *****s complaining in here about their sound 24/7. And they are getting to it and got their fan base.

There is a DETROIT scene that is now mainstream. There is an NYC DRILL Scene that is now mainstream. There is a Cali sound…that is now mainstream. There is a Boom Bap scene…that is virtually now mainstream. There are even more of these. And there is pop rap too. All these subgenre’s have artist and producers with similar sounds. Let’s see who’s next.

Truth be told, some of this music…ISNT for you. And that’s ok. I honestly don’t even know why you’d give some of that any attention :lol:.

it’s like…y’all are choosing a certain sub genre that does what it does….and “related/similar” artist and just complaining.

Out of that list And the others I’ve named…there are some talented folks. There are some copy cats. Some wack artist and everything in between.

Not sure why I left Durk/A Boogie off that list, should’ve been the first I mentioned. Never listened to TJay. Don’t really consider Kodak that same type of style really. He doesn’t really lean into that like a lot of those other names. Kevin Gates does fit, but when I think of squealing whiners, I don’t think of him (nor Moneybagg Yo). Gates can REALLY rap even though there’s not many start to finish projects I like of his. Kodak, Gates, and some of these other guys REALLY stand out. A lot of these other dudes are just background voices over beats, which is the problem. Too many dudes are painfully average or flat out bad in this “sub genre”, which is the dominating sound. It’s entirely over saturated and you’d think people would be over this style already.

Also, no one is complaining about the legacy acts or legacy-sounding acts getting shine because it’s not at all at the forefront, so I’m not even sure why you mentioned that. Griselda being on Jimmy Fallon doesn’t mean their mainstream. I don’t accidentally run across them or Jim Jones’ stuff like I would some of those other names. I seek them out.

If you don’t like new music, listen to old ****. OR PARENTS NEED TO TRAIN OR TEACH THEIR KIDS ABOUT the music they like. Taste in music STARTS at home. IDC what nobody says. Kids gone listen to what their parents listen to...

the music is a direct representation of parents

Idk man my folks are immigrants that do not get rap music at all :lol: But they always let me and bro play the local stations and listen to whatever in the car.

Pops did put my onto Prince and Parliament-Funkadelic and those are 2 of my biggest influences musically so I'll give him that but all the rap history and stuff I know I had to learn on my own by just spending hours and hours on the internet out of obsession for the genre.

edit- I will say my older cousins did used to hook me up with cds when I was pretty young but I was into rap music before that. Getting Makaveli and It's Dark and Hell It's Hot when I was like 10 didn't go over well with my folks :lol:

Last edited:
:rofl:

If only she didn't hate herself and sleep in beds with little kids. Maybe you would like her then.
So you ditch the topic about singing to talk about something completely unrelated to singing. Cuz what ppl like about MJ is hating himself and sleeping in beds with kids.

I guess it is funny. It's some dumbass reasoning but I guess its funny.

Post that Cassidy vid

Joe pump faked for the longest about doing that Craig Kallman episode on ES :lol:

I remember hearing from someone who was a guest on there about a song formula too.

It was berg speaking on it if i remember correctly (no coincidence that he's an exec at Atlantic now).

The Cassidy **** was on this pod (Warning there's A LOT of Cassidy rambling in this :lol:)

Also some good insight into Daylyt's situation with TDE/Punch and just how much time & effort TDE puts into actual artist development

My first sentence is literally THERE’S OBVIOUSLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM :lol: don’t think the list is lazy at all, it’s the norm.

Not sure why I left Durk/A Boogie off that list, should’ve been the first I mentioned. Never listened to TJay. Don’t really consider Kodak that same type of style really. He doesn’t really lean into that like a lot of those other names. Kevin Gates does fit, but when I think of squealing whiners, I don’t think of him (nor Moneybagg Yo). Gates can REALLY rap even though there’s not many start to finish projects I like of his. Kodak, Gates, and some of these other guys REALLY stand out. A lot of these other dudes are just background voices over beats, which is the problem. Too many dudes are painfully average or flat out bad in this “sub genre”, which is the dominating sound. It’s entirely over saturated and you’d think people would be over this style already.

Also, no one is complaining about the legacy acts or legacy-sounding acts getting shine because it’s not at all at the forefront, so I’m not even sure why you mentioned that. Griselda being on Jimmy Fallon doesn’t mean their mainstream. I don’t accidentally run across them or Jim Jones’ stuff like I would some of those other names. I seek them out.

I never disagreed that that “sound” wasn’t over saturated. It is. But the people that really excel and are still here…have TALENT. Thats the point.

That’s why that list you listed, was indeed lazy as hell.

I think that Kanye clip and the Pete Rock caption got conflated a bit..based on some of the responses to it. Unless I missed it, he didn't say trap was trash or argue about the morality of it. Pete Rock did.

There's far more interesting discourse to be had in what Kanye was talking about, rather than the cyclical right/wrong/then/now/good/bad debate.

Does anyone know the full video that clip is from? I can't find it. I usually try to avoid Kanye talking for extended periods of time post-2018.

Last edited:
I think that Kanye clip and the Pete Rock caption got conflated a bit..based on some of the responses to it. Unless I missed it, he didn't say trap was trash or argue about the morality of it. Pete Rock did.

There's far more interesting discourse to be had in what Kanye was talking about, rather than the cyclical right/wrong/then/now/good/bad debate.

Does anyone know the full video that clip is from? I can't find it. I usually try to avoid Kanye talking for extended periods of time post-2018.

David Letterman Kanye interview I think it's on Netflix

Going back to what some of y'all have said but I believe kingfoamnyc kingfoamnyc addressed first, this deepfake **** kind of has me worried about how these artists we love are gonna be accessible to the "fake news" and used for their messages over the artists'. Saw a youtube rec for some Pac interview that looked damn near CGI and it had me thinking about it again.

Right….some of what he says for sure makes sense. Pete Rock took that as an opportunity to attack “now” music and the tired moral/generational superiority complex that people always do…and this thread ran with it. I get what Kanye was alluding to. Some of it. Other parts came off as typical Kanye talks with a hint of “I no longer have the ball”.

But I understand it. I get the drug talk (although, that is boring and people abuse substance regardless and it’s always existed in music. But it’s valid). But Especially with Drill. It got people all over the world acting out and doing **** they normally wouldn’t know/do/say.

The frequency, sound and influence of that is wild. Poverty, which breeds crime exist everywhere. These are things that with the right mix, are breeding ground for some wild stuff. But the imagery, language, frequency, production and base subject matter of it is something else. It’s literally 24/7 murder music. Doing a drill is going on a mission. This is local gang music, not supposed to be worldwide that is now world wide.

“Sliding on opps”. Smoking on “this and that person”. All the dead homie dissing. And the rythm of it when those factors exist are exacerbated. Then, the music has Even created larger sub genres across the globe. think of Canada, London, & even mid 2010s NYC as well as other hood/places embrace of it. Limp gang signs and throwing takes all over. The production. The lingo. The videos. The social media stuff.

Was listening to a good interview by Cookie Money. He from Oakland. And he specifically at the 2:05 mark…mentions losing his homie at 16. He goes on to say, “Chief Keef wasn’t out. We didn’t know about “sliding on opps”, “drop an opp”. There wasn’t no songs about dead homies etc”

The conversation is larger, because none of it is new. A lot of this **** been going on in forms for a long time.There has always been war music etc. And the drums/Rythm of it has influenced actions/aggression. We all know it’s certain songs/sounds that make you wanna fight somebody in the club. Mosh pits etc etc.

Right….some of what he says for sure makes sense. Pete Rock took that as an opportunity to attack “now” music and the tired moral/generational superiority complex that people always do…and this thread ran with it. I get what Kanye was alluding to. Some of it. Other parts came off as typical Kanye talks with a hint of “I no longer have the ball”.

But I understand it. I get the drug talk (although, that is boring and people abuse substance regardless and it’s always existed in music. But it’s valid). But Especially with Drill. It got people all over the world acting out and doing **** they normally wouldn’t know/do/say.

The frequency, sound and influence of that is wild. Poverty, which breeds crime exist everywhere. These are things that with the right mix, are breeding ground for some wild stuff. But the imagery, language, frequency, production and base subject matter of it is something else. It’s literally 24/7 murder music. Doing a drill is going on a mission. This is local gang music, not supposed to be worldwide that is now world wide.

“Sliding on opps”. Smoking on “this and that person”. All the dead homie dissing. And the rythm of it when those factors exist are exacerbated. Then, the music has Even created larger sub genres across the globe. think of Canada, London, & even mid 2010s NYC as well as other hood/places embrace of it. Limp gang signs and throwing takes all over. The production. The lingo. The videos. The social media stuff.

Was listening to a good interview by Cookie Money. He from Oakland. And he specifically at the 2:05 mark…mentions losing his homie at 16. He goes on to say, “Chief Keef wasn’t out. We didn’t know about “sliding on opps”, “drop an opp”. There wasn’t no songs about dead homies etc”

The conversation is larger, because none of it is new. A lot of this **** been going on in forms for a long time.There has always been war music etc. And the drums/Rythm of it has influenced actions/aggression. We all know it’s certain songs/sounds that make you wanna fight somebody in the club. Mosh pits etc etc.

Keak Da Sneak and Kafani both from Oakland and in wheelchairs over some ********

Starting at 5:55 Ebro goes into good detail about how radio stations are ran & the immense amount of research that goes into choosing these records. Now granted Radio isn't as dominant anymore but Advertising is & these same methods & ideologies are still used in the streaming era.

Then you got guys like Mike Karen & his formulas.... a lot of this **** is definitely not by mistake & these companies have a major influence on the kind of music that is backed.

I know Tyler is on some other **** to a lot of you but the fact he's got Drama on all his leaks for this album is pretty :smokin to me :lol: Hope he's got Rocky on this project.

Speaking of which, "Rocky where ya been???" need a new tape it's about that time. Testing was 2016 yeah?

No you're getting defensive

Did Pete Rock say all trap was bad? So you could have saved all that typing.

So you ditch the topic about singing to talk about something completely unrelated to singing. Cuz what ppl like about MJ is hating himself and sleeping in beds with kids.

I guess it is funny. It's some dumbass reasoning but I guess its funny.

Because your dumb *** made my point, but you were too busy running to defend self hating Michael Jackson to see it.

Michael Jackson was a good singer but Luther was better...mutha****a there were hundreds better. The tier you were in as a singer has never been how you judge singers. It was the music and the entire package.

The music sucks, but he sure can sing.

Nobody says Jennifer Holiday is the best singer ever, because she probably has the greatest voice of all time.

Man, I dunno. There's folks whose music is soulful but they cant do **** live.

I kind of understand your point, but I just think it majorly downplays the immense talent and skill Beyonce has. Her ability to perform live is otherworldly in the ability to perform and still sound flawless at the same time. Those skills cannot be understated.

And while I get your "soul/feel" point, that feels more so like a product critique and not a skills critique.

Shes no Jennifer. There is but only 1.

Hell, shes no Fantasia. Talk about being able to feel the soul in vocals...

But she ain't no music soul child.

Shes supremely talented. Probably worth the price of a live performance.

Is Bey the Janet of this era? Hella of a performer/entertainer but she isn’t a vocalist.

Is Bey the Janet of this era? Hella of a performer/entertainer but she isn’t a vocalist.
That's the thing. I disagree that shes not a vocalist. Her vocals are powerful and her control is near perfect. On top of doing such mastery while performing.

I think she blows Janet's vocals out of the water. But I definitely get the comparison and would agree if I didnt think it downplayed Bey's ability.

Back
Top Bottom