Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

IMG_8658.jpeg
Field Mob is your fav group ever
You think thoughts of a predicate felon is a classic

You opinion on anything music is null & void :lol:

Hip Hop died when certain artists got popular and lowered the bar.

Wayne - trash bars, no content, mumbling, can’t even stay on a topic.

Gucci - responsible for putting on so many trash rappers that blew up.

Aubrey - opened the gate for wack white rappers and made it more acceptable than Wayne to have writers.

Future - no talent, mumbling, flat out sucks.

Hip Hop was never intended to "dominate charts".

The only folks who believe Hip Hop is "dying" are those who never appreciated its origins in the first place.

So I should appreciate that Rap today has no substance, complexity or even something as basic as rapping on beat?

In 2023 there’s something for everyone. Way easier to find what you like and even easier to find something you don’t.

Nah, this is a wack take. People been saying this for 10-15 years now.

My issue is the wack **** makes up majority of Rap and it’s what’s being pushed. There was a lane for wack **** in the 90s but it was small. Today, you have to search for music of substance. When’s the last time we had a powerful single with a message?

So we went from 90% substance and talent to 90% oh that beat is hard, IDGAF what he’s saying. He off beat but it’s cool.

Media is too fragmented for it to ever be how it was. Magazines and Video shows gave everything an even ground to take place on and programmers could have some type of balance. Now it’s a free for all and/or whatever is rewarded by “the algorithm” lol

But there’s also the elephant in the room that rap trends on a widespread level stopped advancing around 2018-2019. In the 2000’s it seemed like flows, beats, dress styles changed way more rapidly than us since like 2016. It jumped the shark

Tuck your feelings in Brother...Cole still making music right? :lol:

I don’t listen to Cole but cool, you gave me one. How many more you got? How many of them are all over the radio or TV?

A million Future’s out here, ten people like Cole.

Older hip hop streams better and concerts do better. That’s crazy. Rap is diluted as ****, in its simplest form.

But there’s also the elephant in the room that rap trends on a widespread level stopped advancing around 2018-2019. In the 2000’s it seemed like flows, beats, dress styles changed way more rapidly than us since like 2016. It jumped the shark

That's true, Rap in 91 compared to 96 there was advancing. Same with 97 to 02.

Rap in 2018 to now is pretty much the same.

We stop gotta using the same 2 names as proof of balance. Cole and Kendrick. :lol: That's like if the 90's was full of MC Hammers and Nas and Ice Cube.

Vanilla Ice would have a 6 year run today.

Even the females had to be talented back then. If Kim and Foxy wasn't nice they woulda been video vixens.

Millie Venilli probably wouldn't be a big deal today. Most of these "singers" and "rappers" ain't performing they songs at shows.

Yall dont like dude so you hating on field mob 🤣 they a solid group that makes very good relatable music. Big KRIT and Devin The Dude are in my top 5 personal artists most people look at me like wtf 🤣 but once you get over the shock and the initial want to hate if you listen to the art its very good 🤣🤷🏾‍♂️

Field Mob :lol:

I also like Silkk the Shocker and Lil Flip, what’s your point?

Field Mob is lyrical, substantial and humorous while being creative and original. Cats want to kill me cause I listen to them but didn’t even check out the songs proving my point.

Yall dont like dude so you hating on field mob 🤣 they a solid group that makes very good relatable music. Big KRIT and Devin The Dude are in my top 5 personal artists most people look at me like wtf 🤣 but once you get over the shock and the initial want to hate if you listen to the art its very good 🤣🤷🏾‍♂️

There’s a difference in favorite and greatest top 5.

In order, my FAVORITE five.

Pac
Nas
DMX
Jay
Budden

I don’t need to hear Jay or Nas everyday, I liked southern ****. I like No Limit, Hypnotized Minds and Trick Daddy. I like all regions.

Mick Jenkins is a name I’ve seen for years but never listened to a full project until The Patience. I’m not sleeping anymore, checking his older stuff now.

That 3 song run featuring Gibbs, Benny, and JID is impressive. Dude definitely stood out among some pretty good rappers.

There’s definitely rappers making music with substance, problem is do you wanna be preached to every time you turn on a song? I loved Noname’s most recent album but I can’t listen to it daily.

There’s music for every occasion, maybe the music you’re looking for is in the past. Discovering old music that’s new to you is just as exciting as being a part of the release of the week.

Back
Top Bottom