Re: Why Dark-Skinned People From The Dominican Republic Refuse Their Blackness

AFTER READING THESE PAGES, ANTON MAKES THE MUST COMPELLING ARGUMENT, I HAVE PLENTY OF DOMINICAN FRIENDS THAT ARE DARK SKINNED, THAT SEEM TO THINK THAT THEY HAVE NO TYPES OF BLACK BLOOD, AND THEY HAVE ALOT OF HATE FOR HAITIANS.N

EXAMPLE: I TOOK A LATIN STUDIES CLASS LAST SEMESTER , THIS "WHITE" SKINNED DOMINICAN GIRL SPOKE ABOUT HOW SKIN COLOR IS A MAJOR FACTOR IN DR, SHE SAID HER FATHER WAS MY SKIN COLOR, WHICH IS " DARK SKINNED" (IM BLACK BTW), AND THAT WHEN  SHE WOULD GO BACK TO DR, HER FAMILY WITH PARADE HER AROUND AND BRAGG ABOUT HER BEING THEIR RELATION, BECAUSE SHE WAS SOOOOOOO "FAIR/ WHITE SKINNED". IM NOT GOING TO SAY THAT ALL DOMINICANS ARE BLACK, BUT A GREAT DEAL OF THEM ARE DARK SKINNED, SO ITS MORE THAN LIKEY THAT THEY HAVE "BLACK BLOOD".

I REALIZE THAT THEY ARE A MIXED PEOPLE, AND IT WOULD MARGINALIZE WHO THEY ARE MY SIMPLY GROUPING THEM AS "BLACK"
BUT ITS FUNNY HOW NINJAHOOD WILL RECONGNIZED HIS " SPANISH & TIANO INDIAN" ROOTS
BUT MAKE THE CLAIM THAT WHEN HAITI TRYED TO TAKE OVER DR....THEY GOT SHUTDOWN AND THAT WHERE IT STOPS
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

DENIAL= AT IT'S FINEST

TO ALL DOMINICANS, IT SEEMS LIKE SOME SELF HATRED THAT YOU WANT TO RELATE TO BEING "SPANISH AND TAINO" WHEN THAT ITS MOST LIKELY THE LEAST OF THE ACTUAL DNA MAKE UP IN DR.

DOMINICAN ISN'T AN A RACE OF PEOPLE COMPRISED OF MANY RACES AND CULTURES, AND BLACK IS ONE OF THEM.

MY DOMINICAN PEOPLE SHOULD REALLY READ OR GO SEE THE PLAY PLANTANOS AND COLLARD GREENS IF YOUR IN THE NYC, IT WAS VERT INFORMATIVE.

Originally Posted by Diego

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

That's like me going on rants about how I'm Nigerian and not black, that would be ridiculous would it not?

Your sig says "Team Nigeria" though.
You ashamed to embrace your blackness bro?

Fact is, people dont embrace the color of their skin. They embrace their culture.

You mightve seen me post a picture of Ice T, dude is as light as it gets. You expect him to embrace his whiteness now?
You want the chinese dude selling you your chinese food to start telling you about his whiteness? This is basically what youre advocating.
Im light as hell bro, never in a million years would I sit here and try to have people tell me to embrace my white skin. To the WASP I aint nothin but a $#@+.
+*$$ is way deeper than skin color bro.

Pele, one of the greatest soccer players ever...should he embrace his Brazilian culture or his "blackness"?

My girls mother who is from the Dominican Republic and is probably as dark as you but has been cookin them chicken and beans, with the fried platano her whole life...should she embrace her dominican culture or her blackness? How the *+!@ do you embrace blackness anyways? Is there a special day for this? Im pretty sure nobody is foolish enough to accept historical facts of their origins, but what else you want from people other than that?

Point is people are actually doing what Mr. King wouldve wanted, what Malcolm X wouldve wanted. Looking PAST the mere color of skin and embracing their experiences, their culture, what they know.
You stuck on color bro, with that type of mentality we all going nowhere fast.
Why can't it be both? This is my point. My sig says Team Nigeria....but I'm never going to go out of my way to say I'm not "black". Taking it even further, Nigeria doesnt even specifically describe what culture/tribe i belong to. There are over 200 ethnic groups in Nigeria, imagine me saying I'm ibo and not nigerian

I'm black, Nigerian and American. I'm not going to choose one of the categories to describe myself out of shame associated with the others.

That's like me going on rants about how I'm Nigerian and not black, that would be ridiculous would it not?

Fact is, people dont embrace the color of their skin. They embrace their culture.

You mightve seen me post a picture of Ice T, dude is as light as it gets. You expect him to embrace his whiteness now?
You want the chinese dude selling you your chinese food to start telling you about his whiteness? This is basically what youre advocating.
Im light as hell bro, never in a million years would I sit here and try to have people tell me to embrace my white skin. To the WASP I aint nothin but a $#@+.

Pele, one of the greatest soccer players ever...should he embrace his Brazilian culture or his "blackness"?

My girls mother who is from the Dominican Republic and is probably as dark as you but has been cookin them chicken and beans, with the fried platano her whole life...should she embrace her dominican culture or her blackness? How the *+!@ do you embrace blackness anyways? Is there a special day for this? Im pretty sure nobody is foolish enough to accept historical facts of their origins, but what else you want from people other than that?

Point is people are actually doing what Mr. King wouldve wanted, what Malcolm X wouldve wanted. Looking PAST the mere color of skin and embracing their experiences, their culture, what they know.
Why can't it be both? This is my point. My sig says Team Nigeria....but I'm never going to go out of my way to say I'm not "black". Taking it even further, Nigeria doesnt even specifically describe what culture/tribe i belong to. There are over 200 ethnic groups in Nigeria, imagine me saying I'm ibo and not nigerian

I'm black, Nigerian and American. I'm not going to choose one of the categories to describe myself out of shame associated with the others.

I dunno what happens in DR, but i know there's racism in the NY DR population. Dudes will call you my n to your face then say they don't really mess with that cocohuate to their own people. Ain't no different than everyone else though.

I dunno what happens in DR, but i know there's racism in the NY DR population. Dudes will call you my n to your face then say they don't really mess with that cocohuate to their own people. Ain't no different than everyone else though.

Ice T? White American?
This is all I want to know.

Ill wait.

Ice T? White American?

Ill wait.

Ice T? White American?

Ill wait.

Ice T is black American. What's your point? An albino can be black.

Ice T? White American?

Ill wait.

Ice T is black American. What's your point? An albino can be black.

ATTENTION EVERYONE!!!

I suggest you watch program coming on the 19th of April its called Black in Latin America. Its pretty much goes over what we have disscusedin terms of racial identity, racism and just overall life in Latin America. Its on PBS April 19th hosted by Henry Louis Gates.

ATTENTION EVERYONE!!!

I suggest you watch program coming on the 19th of April its called Black in Latin America. Its pretty much goes over what we have disscusedin terms of racial identity, racism and just overall life in Latin America. Its on PBS April 19th hosted by Henry Louis Gates.

Originally Posted by nom de guerre

ATTENTION EVERYONE!!!

I suggest you watch program coming on the 19th of April its called Black in Latin America. Its pretty much goes over what�we have disscused�in terms of racial identity, racism and just overall life in Latin America. Its on PBS April 19th hosted by Henry Louis Gates.

Hmm, i wonder if this will be \topic?
as long it's not rooted in hatred, let them be who they want to be.  Jamaica has native arawak/spanish/english/indian etc.  (out of many, one people) roots, i look nothing like my grandma, but at the end of the day i see myself as a black jamaican.  do you. *shrugs.

Originally Posted by nom de guerre

ATTENTION EVERYONE!!!

I suggest you watch program coming on the 19th of April its called Black in Latin America. Its pretty much goes over what�we have disscused�in terms of racial identity, racism and just overall life in Latin America. Its on PBS April 19th hosted by Henry Louis Gates.

Hmm, i wonder if this will be \topic?
as long it's not rooted in hatred, let them be who they want to be.  Jamaica has native arawak/spanish/english/indian etc.  (out of many, one people) roots, i look nothing like my grandma, but at the end of the day i see myself as a black jamaican.  do you. *shrugs.

Back
Top Bottom