Remy Ma-shETHER***Nicki Minaj diss***

But that's exactly what he was doing. Putting his music together better than the next man.

So you're wrong.

And the genre was created within and out of competition.

If you just want to cover your eyes and ears and pretend you're right, feel free
laugh.gif

Or you could try to learn something.

My man Makaveli the Don, young pac, rap god. Legend. My GOAT, out here championing himself as the victor in the east coast / west coast beef w/ what? Record sales :lol: Why? Because that's the only tangible way to determine winners and losers if you wanna take it that route.

Goat talk :smokin

No one here has posted any metric for winning or losing. There are no judges, no points, no scoring.

Rap definitely has a competitive element, but there are no trophies and people can argue in favor of anyone. Depending where you are, people would say Nas or Jay is the greatest rapper of all time. Some might say BIG, PAC etc.

Record sales are the only tangible metric, but that doesn't necessarily reflect skill or quality of music. Acknowledging this doesn't mean someone doesn't understand hip-hop. No one has presented any real metric here to determine a clear winner, which is the argument here. Consensus varies so I'm not sure if it can be qualified as a true sport.

I think in battle rap(URL, Smack) there's at least a set format(Acapella, bars) and set crowd to judge reactions. Some battles even have judges, so that could technically fall under a sport.

Some of you dudes slow as hell :lol:

"Blood shed"? What in the **** are you talking about?

The genre was created out of competition. Sound clashes are sound systems competing. Who can rock the party hardest. With the music, the speakers, the "toasting" etc.

Herc was innovative with all of those, doing things that hadn't been done before, thus rocking the party the hardest and helping to create what we now know as hip hop.

You really needed all of that explained to you? All you had to do was Google "sound clash". Educate yourselves for God's sake :lol:

A genre being created out of competition does not a competitive genre crate. When Herc created/put together break beats he could not have competed with anybody because the genre itself didn't yet exist. He created a sound. A sound that mixed together other genres of music that eventually somebody got on a mic and began to verbally turn the party up (that would be an emcee).

But, I'll remove myself from the convo. Believe what you believe. You "know" the history

But that's exactly what he was doing. Putting his music together better than the next man. Rocking the party better than the next man.

Same thing the dudes on the mic were trying to do.

So you're wrong.

And the genre was created within and out of competition.

If you just want to cover your eyes and ears and pretend you're right, feel free :lol:

Or you could try to learn something.

i don't know how much competition was the actual genesis of hip-hop (or sound-clashing for that matter, presumably the music would have been created 1st? how far is it useful to go back? toasting has its roots the story-telling traditions) but it is pretty much undeniable that competition permeated every aspect of hip-hop (b-boying, djing, emceeing, fashion, emceeing, etc.) very soon after it's inception...almost such that it has become hard to separate the competitive aspect from the culture/music itself...

so to get bogged down in the semantics of whether or not hip-hop IS a sport, LIKE a sport, or not at all sport is slightly ridiculous, it is art, thus it is all based on opinion-there isn't an objective best or worst, right or wrong, winner or loser, though to say that consensus is irrelevant (however diffuse it may seem) is completely absurd, that it isn't etched in stone does not invalidate the competition or majority opinion (and even if it one could be declared the "winner" there would still be arguments given the subjective nature of art)...in fact you might say, that is maybe an important part of the culture, like arguing wilt v. mike, bill russell v. lebron in hoops; maybe it is ABOUT making the argument(s)?

however to approach that issue from another angle, it maybe might be worth asking why this competitive stance began and/or if the this traditional competitive aspect is anachronistic/outdated? the pervasiveness of today's rap doesn't really have anything to do its origins, are many people today really interested in rappers rapping about being or having the best raps? it is probably true that approach has been the catalyst for many iconic moments in hip-hop but would we really think any of the greats less great minus their "i'm better than everybody or ____)" bars? and as fractured as the hip-hop (music in generally) landscape is there much utility in maintaining this tradition in mainstream hip-hop?

is it really that fundamental to this thing called hip-hop? would hip hop becoming less about the competition, and not meaning lowering the bar for bars but literally less 'us v. the other side' posturing (the audience is going to to this anyways, so there isn't any need for artists to), be better for hip-hop???

Last edited:
Some of you guys talk about "hip hop" like you think it was created in a laboratory :lol:

i don't know how much competition was the actual genesis of hip-hop

however to approach that issue from another angle, it maybe might be worth asking why this competitive stance began

Maybe because competition was a large part of it's genesis?

Competition isn't always negative. What Just and Swizz just did was friendly competition. That was basically a "sound clash".

The competition is there even if cats aren't "beefing" with each other.

Last edited:
Nas won the battle, that was the VERY clear consensus.

Takeover though a super classic song all the nas jabs were lies.

The world is yours 》 Dead pres

Nas discography / features from 94-2001 ***** on jayzs

Stillmatic 》 blueprint

Ether as a diss > takeover

Last edited:

For the record I agree that sales don't make a rapper better than the other, but that's precisely why I don't consider rap or music at all as a sport.

That's your view and that's cool but hip hop has always been competitive, that's just a fact. From the 80's to about when the BFF era started and every now and then that competitiveness still comes out.

Yeah music is subjective but hip hop culture has always been like a sport or competition. And a lot of people just don't understand this culture.

There it is!!

Lol @ Stillmatic being better than Blueprint.

Loling even more at Nas discography being better than Jay's. This thread gets funnier by the day

Last edited:
Nas won the battle, that was the VERY clear consensus.

Takeover though a super classic song all the nas jabs were lies.

The world is yours 》 Dead pres

Nas discography / features from 94-2001 ***** on jayzs

Stillmatic 》 blueprint

Ether as a diss > takeover
0 for 6 

No one I know say Nas won the war; only that battle. Jay-Z was signing his checks at Def Jam.

Yeah this was a astronomical level L. :smh: he won over jay with stuff that don't really matter...ether but jay got Beyoncé and he's signing nas checks

Meanwhile nas gotta pay 18 years of child support and he gotta call jay z boss :smh:

L after L

it looked bad then but nas doing all kinds of crazy business moves

all types of venture capital type stuff

Lol yall act like Nas HAD to go to Def Jam in order to keep making music. Obviously, he didn't see it as an L or seems to regret it. One could even argue that his music got worse there except for Life Is Good (very underrated album IMO).

It was a normal business move that he felt was right at the time. If anything, Jay was the one who wanted him. Not everyone makes moves with emotions like some of you guys in this thread...lol

Bet yall think Fat Joe and Jim Jones are taking Ls too by signing with Roc Nation. Very dumb logic.

Lol yall act like Nas HAD to go to Def Jam in order to keep making music. Obviously, he didn't see it as an L or seems to regret it. One could even argue that his music got worse there except for Life Is Good (very underrated album IMO).

It was a normal business move that he felt was right at the time. If anything, Jay was the one who wanted him. Not everyone makes moves with emotions like some of you guys in this thread...lol

Bet yall think Fat Joe and Jim Jones are taking Ls too by signing with Roc Nation. Very dumb logic.

That was a huge L for Nas bruh

Back
Top Bottom