RIP George Floyd

Jordan, unlike Kobe, never denied that he was Black, he simply refused to talk about BEING Black in America. Just like with much of the commentary I have received here on NT when I bring up the issue of racism in threads that people just want to keep it about the shoes, Jordan would have been told to shut up and dribble. Problem is, Jordan shut up and then dribbled, on his own. The responses, just like here on NT, is that you are just complaining when you bring up racism. Whining, crying, making everything about race. Y’all know the posters here who do that, saying these sorts of things here daily. If Jordan continues on this path, he may be able to open the minds of these little racists here a tiny bit, but I doubt it. They’ll probably simply start a yeezy talk.

Jordan, unlike Kobe, never denied that he was Black, he simply refused to talk about BEING Black in America. Just like with much of the commentary I have received here on NT when I bring up the issue of racism in threads that people just want to keep it about the shoes, Jordan would have been told to shut up and dribble. Problem is, Jordan shut up and then dribbled, on his own. The responses, just like here on NT, is that you are just complaining when you bring up racism. Whining, crying, making everything about race. Y’all know the posters here who do that, saying these sorts of things here daily. If Jordan continues on this path, he may be able to open the minds of these little racists here a tiny bit, but I doubt it. They’ll probably simply start a yeezy talk.

Not to get too far off on a tangent but can you point me to specifically when and where Kobe outright denied his blackness as if he were Mike Tirico, who is hilariously on record having done so to save his *** from a harassment case?

I know kobe carefully tip toed around addressing some issues, some of those being about race, but I do not remember him ever outright denying his ancestry.

Not to get too far off on a tangent but can you point me to specifically when and where Kobe outright denied his blackness as if he were Mike Tirico, who is hilariously on record having done so to save his *** from a harassment case?

I know kobe carefully tip toed around addressing some issues, some of those being about race, but I do not remember him ever outright denying his ancestry.
The Real Sports interview where he called himself Italian.

The Real Sports interview where he called himself Italian.

Any context on that? Because he did grow up there and may have had dual citizenship (I'm not sure).

I can't find the exact clip that you are referring to after a quick search (he has been covered on Real Sports numerous times). But I did find a quote from him that directly contradicts what you are saying: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk...ting-nba-s-transition-michael-jordan-n1125841

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 2.11.29 PM.png

To be fair to your point, I do remember that he was initially hesitant to jump on wearing a hoodie to protest/memorialize Trayvon Martin: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/01/kobe-bryant-i-knew/605560/ But that itself is not a denial of heritage. The article also goes on to state how vocal he was about the killing of Mike Brown.

Jemelle Hill called him out on the Trayvon killing, they had a phone conversation, he met with the Martin family, spoke at a rally in support of the family and apologized and ended up showing support.

But I really don't think he straight up denied being black as if the obvious assertion was some kind of affront to his sensibilities as a well known celebrity. He was not OJ Simpson or anything close to that.

It's kind of like Giannis being proud to be from Greece. He's Nigerian but nobody is accusing him or distorting his words to mean that he is denying his Nigerian heritage. Some people grow up differently...

Last edited:
I feel like you turn this into a Jordan vs Kobe thing when both of them were in the wrong and shouldn't be excused. But you don't acknowledge the growth Kobe showed in this respect. It is what it is.
No Jordan versus Kobe here, BOTH failed as Bryant followed the game plan. Bryant’s response to the Trayvon Martin situation did not help his profile at all. I saw no growth.

No Jordan versus Kobe here, BOTH failed as Bryant followed the game plan. Bryant’s response to the Trayvon Martin situation did not help his profile at all. I saw no growth.
I don't know how you can say something like 'if Jordan continues on this path..' which literally just started last week but not acknowledge any of the contributions Kobe made to the community. Just comes across as being completely biased.

I don't know how you can say something like 'if Jordan continues on this path..' which literally just started last week but not acknowledge any of the contributions Kobe made to the community. Just comes across as being completely biased.
Biased? I don’t like Jordan as a person either, so where is the bias?

Biased? I don’t like Jordan as a person either, so where is the bias?
You acknowledge Jordan's growth and seem to respect it by saying if he continues he can open the minds of racists but say you saw no growth from Kobe in the 8 years after his comments about Trayvon. If you're unbiased you can acknowledge the change from both of them.

Back
Top Bottom