Ron Artest Agrees To Terms With The Lakers vol: It's a done deal (Full MLE $32 mill for 5 year)

Damn not even a month after they won im sizing up the next 2 rings
tongue.gif

What a day! It's a wrap, Artest was the perfect replacement for Ariza; though I'm still gonna miss Ariza.

His agent did him wrong though, oh well. As far as the Celts getting Rasheed Wallace that's a good pickup as well.

Man I'm so pumped about this
Ron Artest always been one of my favorite players
I just LOVE his gutty play.... and his desire to win

Originally Posted by Q46totheE

GREAT signing for the Lakers...and on the cheap also!

You know what you're getting w. Ron....Ariza for all we know could have been a fluke. I have a feeling that he won't come anywhere close to being as productive as a Rocket in comparison to playing alongside Kobe in LA....he should really thank the scheme/Kobe for making his life that much easier...

Lakers are hands down the team to beat for the next 2-3 years....I love this for the pure fact that Cleveland has an ENORMOUS challenge of not only getting out of the East, but trying to win the chip at all....whatever gets Lebron to NY is good w. me
laugh.gif
My sentiments exactly.

Originally Posted by Tarvald Drama Chase

the Shaq trade was pointless

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
what the hell are you stonefacing... an old, deteriorating Shaq actually makes them better, and able to keep up with the C's and Magic?? PLEASE..... clown....

and yes, lets see how ariza does when no one is there (kobe) to spoon feed him baskets, and he has to create for himself

yep. they need defense for the perimeter. Shaq is too slow. *$%@, he'll allow Tim Duncan to step back and hit a $$$**@' 3
mad.gif
frown.gif

i can agree with both your statements

I love the 0-to-60 championship predictions when transactions like this take place. Love 'em.

I can see a time when NBA seasons aren't actually played but instead computer-simulated.

Congrats to the 2010, 2012, 2013, 2018, and 2025 NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers.

Well deserved.

Originally Posted by Burns1923

I love the 0-to-60 championship predictions when transactions like this take place. Love 'em.

I can see a time when NBA seasons aren't actually played but instead computer-simulated.

Congrats to the 2010, 2012, 2013, 2018, and 2025 NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers.

Well deserved.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

It's a wrap this year!!! Everyone just stay home!!!

Burns1923:

Well deserved.
I would just like you to pay particular attention to the NON-LAKER FANS making LAKER CHAMPIONSHIP PREDICTIONS, talking about how it's a wrapfor the league, ready to give up hope on their team, etc., etc., etc.

That is all.

KTHXBYE

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Burns1923:

Well deserved.
I would just like you to pay particular attention to the NON-LAKER FANS making LAKER CHAMPIONSHIP PREDICTIONS, talking about how it's a wrap for the league, ready to give up hope on their team, etc., etc., etc.

That is all.

KTHXBYE

Indeed!

Basically we swapped Ariza for Arest. On paper we get more talent but why risk proven chemistry? Ariza was the perfect fit because he could thrive with fewshots, he ran the break, he finally developed his spot up jumper and he could play his man and the passing lanes without getting burned. Ariza was a better fiton a team that already has Kobe, Artest does not seem like has good of a fit, despite being so talented.

The one way I could see this turning out to be an improvment for the team is that Artest does seem more intense and can bring more of an edge and defensivemindset that still was not fully solidified this season. Trevor Ariza is a very good player and great defensive player but he seemed to go about his craftquietly and attacked indirectly, by jumping the passing lanes, denying the ball and stealing the ball in help situations. Artest takes defense personally andthat style of defense is more likely to rub off on teammates and lead to the type of team defense we will probably need if there is to be repeat.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Basically we swapped Ariza for Arest. On paper we get more talent but why risk proven chemistry? Ariza was the perfect fit because he could thrive with few shots, he ran the break, he finally developed his spot up jumper and he could play his man and the passing lanes without getting burned. Ariza was a better fit on a team that already has Kobe, Artest does not seem like has good of a fit, despite being so talented.

The one way I could see this turning out to be an improvment for the team is that Artest does seem more intense and can bring more of an edge and defensive mindset that still was not fully solidified this season. Trevor Ariza is a very good player and great defensive player but he seemed to go about his craft quietly and attacked indirectly, by jumping the passing lanes, denying the ball and stealing the ball in help situations. Artest takes defense personally and that style of defense is more likely to rub off on teammates and lead to the type of team defense we will probably need if there is to be repeat.
I guess it's clear that our front office thought it worth it to take the gamble on Artest for all those qualities that you mentioned. I'mconcerned about chemistry as well, but I think of Phil, who once was able to maintain a head case in Dennis Rodman.

I'm inclined to believe we've made a great step towards successfully defending our title next year.

Anybody else catch this?

After Kobe Bryant and Ron Artest got into that "war of words" in March back in Houston, I asked Kobe what he really thought of Artest.

"We're friends," Kobe said, "I like him a lot--like his game--always have."

Then he told me a story that makes today's news--Artest is supposedly on his way to LA for three years, $18 million--very likely to happen.

Kobe said that after the Lakers lost game six of the '08 NBA Finals in Boston by 39 points, he was alone in the shower, just fuming. He heard somebody walk in and assumed it was one of his teammates, or maybe a staff member. Instead, he looked up, and it was Ron Artest (to this day, Kobe has no idea how Artest got into the locker room).

"I want to come help you," Artest said. "If I can, I'm going to find a way to come to LA and give you the help you need to win a title."

Kobe didn't think much of it, especially since Artest still had a year left on his deal with the Rockets, and that the Lakers were returning an entire team that had just won the Western Conference. Plus, players talk like that a lot, and it's just talk. But it struck Kobe as a nice gesture, especially since he had just been hammered by the Celtics and nobody was saying much of anything. Kobe told me that the perception a lot of people have of Artest is wrong.

"He competes....every night, every play," Kobe said. "I've known him since high school and he's always been like that."

Kobe found it strange that some people in the media were portraying he and Artest as enemies.

"He wants to win as much as I do...and I respect him--a lot."

When you consider that Artest and Lamar Odom grew up playing together in New York, this move makes a ton of sense. Artest gets to play with two good friends, for a coach that has always spoken highly of him.

Over the years, I've often asked Phil Jackson specifically about Artest's "colorful" nature. Phil never takes the bait, always shifting the conversation to something about how competitive Artest always is. He speaks of Artest the same way he speaks of Dennis Rodman. You'll rarely hear Phil comment on how weird Rodman was, just that he adjusted to the team culture once he came to town. I imagine that if the Artest deal goes through, he'll treat Ron much the same way.

By the way, if the rumored deal was to go through, it leaves the Lakers with even more money to keep Odom. Think about this: they would be getting Artest for less money than Charlie Villanueva just signed for in Detroit. Trust me, there isn't anybody who knows basketball who would rather have Villanueva than Artest. The only downside to this deal is that the it leaves no room on the roster for Trevor Ariza, who was been fantastic in his time with the Lakers. But truth be told, Ariza and Artest play the same position, and Ariza didn't want to play for that money. ESPN is already reporting that Ariza has agreed to sign in Houston to replace Artest.

Final note: none of this is done. League rules don't allow any players to sign free agent contracts until next week, and a lot can happen between now and then. But based on what I know about Artest and the way he feels about the Lakers, I'd say it's more likely to happen than not.

http://cbs2.com/sports/ron.artest.lakers.2.1069858.html

roll.gif
roll.gif
Ron is a fool/that dude. Dude interrupted Kobe's shower and told him help was on the way
laugh.gif

Burns1923:

Well deserved.
I would just like you to pay particular attention to the NON-LAKER FANS making LAKER CHAMPIONSHIP PREDICTIONS, talking about how it's a wrap for the league, ready to give up hope on their team, etc., etc., etc.

That is all.

KTHXBYE

Didn't single anyone out; just commenting on the prevailing 'mood' I perceive. If that includes Laker fans, "Laker fans" or non-Lakerfans, it matters not to me.

Interesting to note how indirect commentary is often directly attacked. Such a curious phenomenon.

Originally Posted by IronGreen22

I'm from LA ... so I feel obligated to be excited.

I'm a fan. But of the other LA team.

Yeah the Dodgers are
pimp.gif

Unless you're referring to that NBDL team?

Burns1923:

Well deserved.

That is all.

KTHXBYE

for real
laugh.gif

Well, at least the Rockets ended up making it past the first round in the end. Hopefully in 5 years when they're a playoff team again they'll make itpast the second round.

Back
Top Bottom