Seattle Police Punches Girl

I truly do not care if she deserved the punch or not. But what I do care is:

WHY IN THE $#@+ IS THERE ALWAYS A GROUP OF IGNORANT BLACK PEOPLE CAUSING A RUCKUS OVER PETTY %%@% !!!!??? It is honestly so frustrating and breaks my heart genuinely to turn on the news or go to youtube and witness yet again another instance of black people doing something so out of control and so unnecessary. Continuing to make us look bad. I went to my best friend's little brother's high school graduation ceremony (I treat him like my little bro as well) and they had this black kid make a speech (he transferred from a bad neighborhood to go to this school). And a good portion of the speech he talked about how when he first came to an all white neighborhood, to an all white high school he said that white kids automatically thought he was "ghetto" and affiliated somehow with a gang. And would ask him stupid questions like, "have you ever been stabbed or shot?" or "have you ever stabbed or shot someone?"

This kid was an A/B student, played sports, and was apart of various after school groups. He gave a speech at his graduation! But the PERCEPTION was that he was ghetto and ignorant all because he came from a bad neighborhood and because he was black.

It really angers me, that black people seem to know want better for themselves and for our community.

/black guy rant

-The Juice.

"Rosenthal was charged in November with second-degree robbery. According to prosecutors, she punched a 15-year-old boy in the face while she and a group of youths were on their way to a rave in South Seattle last Aug. 28. The boy told police that his cellphone and $20 were stolen in the incident. A 14-year-old boy told police that he was punched in the head and his hat was stolen.

Authorities say the case was dismissed when the boys refused to testify.

In April 2008, Rosenthal was charged with third-degree theft after she allegedly stole a minivan in Tukwila, prosecutors said. Kent police said she used a screwdriver to break the ignition and start the vehicle."

I am familiar with that exact intersection, if you look at the top of the video footage you can see a pedestrian bridge the city constructed specifically for that intersection. There is no normal crosswalk, you either use the bridge or don't cross the street.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by red mpls

Originally Posted by Forgot About Jae

I wonder if I'm really the only one who's aware of how scared some of these white cops are of any person of color.

Someone mentioned that if it was a white girl in Beverly Hills this would never have happened. Cops in these neighborhoods are in a constant state of vigilance, stress and fear for good reason. This stress and frustration manifests itself as a more forceful response at times to these situations.
The residents in these neighborhoods live in a constant state of vigilance, stress, fear, marginalization, oppression, etc. which is often manifest most clearly in their interactions with the police, the government "representatives" with whom they come into contact with most.  A lot of these communities are essentially police states where nearly everything and everyone is criminalized.  If suburban communities, schools, malls, etc. were patrolled to the extent that low-income, urban black and Latino communities are and with the same attitude towards the residents, we would find the difference in urban-suburban, black-white, low-income-high-income crime rates drop significantly and the attitudes toward police in white, suburban, and high-income areas change drastically.

Um, I'm almost positive you assume I don't know the effects of racism in this country but I know way more than you'd think. I've looked at the effect of racism and health from an epidemiological perspective and the stress of racism in this country kills. 

With that being said, crime is a real issue in lower socio-economic areas. All things equal, you would find more crime in the projects than in Beverly Hills even if the cops looked for it objectively. Stop.

Well apparently you do know more about the effects of racism than I thought you did
laugh.gif
.... which perplexes me even more that this knowledge and framework doesn't seem to transfer into your posts.... or that this knowledge is even synthesized to any significant degree into the framework through which you view and analyze things.

Also, I never said that criminal activity isn't higher in lower socioeconomic areas than in more affluent areas or that crime in the projects and in Beverly Hills are comparable.  What I stated was that whenever certain communities are essentially police states and nearly all behaviors and people in these communities are criminalized, it creates a distorted picture of the difference between crime (and the people) in these communities versus white, affluent, suburban communities.  This affects public and police perception and also further reinforces the perception that these communities should be treated as criminal and such heavy and adversarial police presence is necessary.  It also reinforces the often-hostile attitude of community residents who feel criminalized and brutalized by those that are supposed to protect and serve them.  If police treated white, suburban high school youth the way they do urban black youth and patrolled them just as vigilantly, we would see the attitudes of the latter group come to resemble those of the first group fairly quickly.

I wonder if I'm really the only one who's aware of how scared some of these white cops are of any person of color.

Someone mentioned that if it was a white girl in Beverly Hills this would never have happened. Cops in these neighborhoods are in a constant state of vigilance, stress and fear for good reason. This stress and frustration manifests itself as a more forceful response at times to these situations.
The residents in these neighborhoods live in a constant state of vigilance, stress, fear, marginalization, oppression, etc. which is often manifest most clearly in their interactions with the police, the government "representatives" with whom they come into contact with most.  A lot of these communities are essentially police states where nearly everything and everyone is criminalized.  If suburban communities, schools, malls, etc. were patrolled to the extent that low-income, urban black and Latino communities are and with the same attitude towards the residents, we would find the difference in urban-suburban, black-white, low-income-high-income crime rates drop significantly and the attitudes toward police in white, suburban, and high-income areas change drastically.

Um, I'm almost positive you assume I don't know the effects of racism in this country but I know way more than you'd think. I've looked at the effect of racism and health from an epidemiological perspective and the stress of racism in this country kills. 

With that being said, crime is a real issue in lower socio-economic areas. All things equal, you would find more crime in the projects than in Beverly Hills even if the cops looked for it objectively. Stop.

Well apparently you do know more about the effects of racism than I thought you did
laugh.gif
.... which perplexes me even more that this knowledge and framework doesn't seem to transfer into your posts.... or that this knowledge is even synthesized to any significant degree into the framework through which you view and analyze things.

Making excuses for stupid people is not part of my agenda, sorry. And the reality of the situation is the cop do not NEED to patrol affluent, suburban neighborhoods.

She shouldn't have touched him period, let's stop making excuses for stupid, ignorant people. I love how you're tryna have a debate about oppression, like this dumb girl just got hit by a cop at a civil rights march. Stop it.

People need to stop doing stupid stuff like this. What does she think the cop is going to do.. "Oh okay ill let you guys go now since you pushed me off of her, you win"

The lady deserved a punch in the face or w/e force necessary barring long term injuries in that situation. Like step back and assess the situation. He's a cop trying to arrest someone and they are resisting. Then some other crazy lady comes and starts yelling and aggressively pushing him off of the person he's attempting to arrest. So now you have two unruly people. One that is unwilling and is physically resisting arrest and the other one is becoming hostile and is actually pushing you. What do you guys think he should have done. Just sat there next to them and just waited for back up doing nothing? He has to take control of the situation when someone is escalating the hostility.

Fast foward to 1:32, dude in glasses looks like he's holding a gun or something in a gun-like manner.

39534.jpg

laugh.gif

Making excuses for stupid people is not part of my agenda, sorry. And the reality of the situation is the cop do not NEED to patrol affluent, suburban neighborhoods.

She shouldn't have touched him period, let's stop making excuses for stupid, ignorant people. I love how you're tryna have a debate about oppression, like this dumb girl just got hit by a cop at a civil rights march. Stop it.
I never said anything about making excuses for anyone, where did you get that from?  I always seek a deeper understanding of the dynamics at play in our society and the world... analysis and explanations do not necessarily constitute excuses.  If you wish (despite your apparent knowledge) to continue to analyze things on the level of someone making a decision because they are "stupid, ignorant people," then you are wasting your knowledge...

As for your assertion that police presence is not needed in affluent suburban communities... Why don't the police need to patrol these neighborhoods?  Does crime not occur there?

Why is such heavy police force necessary in impoverished urban communities?  Because of the relatively high crime rates?  How much do those crime rates reflect the general criminalization of the residents and the police state-like atmosphere and how much is accounted for by the difference in actual criminal activity?

In regards to the situation at hand, I never made any excuse for either of the young women; please re-read my posts.  When I spoke about oppression it was in response to your statements justifying police reacting more forcefully to people in impoverished urban communities.  I was simply presenting the other side of that dynamic.  Apparently you're only interested in an explanation and justification of why police treat people in certain communities with great hostility and not the perspective of those on the community side...

Dude we know, racism and social inequality are the root of the problem...stop tryna act like you're making some profound revelation. By bringing this up everytime a black person does something idiotic, we perpetuate this kind of behavior. Stop it.

Originally Posted by Peteweezy

as ridiculous as it is, jaywalking is against the law so DONT DO IT IN FRONT OF A COP unless you want to risk getting a ticket.

this isn't a case of when a man can/can't hit a woman.  this is a case of a person putting hands on a cop.  anyone that is not a complete ruh-tard knows not to put hands on a cop.
Where you live at where they seriously enforcing that law? Dudes are funny.  As far as putting hands on a cop you can't do it like that chick did but some of these stupid cops get that lord of the ring feeling when they put on their uniforms.  I touched a cop to explain something that happened clown said if I touch him again it would be trouble.  I just laughed at dude and got my friend away from that situation before anything else happened.  Its situations like mine that have people looking at some cops sideways cause I have friends that are cops and none of them are like that.

They enforce it here in LB because ppl are always trying to cross major streets anytime they want. A lot of ppl have been hit by cars.

as ridiculous as it is, jaywalking is against the law so DONT DO IT IN FRONT OF A COP unless you want to risk getting a ticket.

this isn't a case of when a man can/can't hit a woman.  this is a case of a person putting hands on a cop.  anyone that is not a complete ruh-tard knows not to put hands on a cop.
Where you live at where they seriously enforcing that law? Dudes are funny.  As far as putting hands on a cop you can't do it like that chick did but some of these stupid cops get that lord of the ring feeling when they put on their uniforms.  I touched a cop to explain something that happened clown said if I touch him again it would be trouble.  I just laughed at dude and got my friend away from that situation before anything else happened.  Its situations like mine that have people looking at some cops sideways cause I have friends that are cops and none of them are like that.

They enforce it here in LB because ppl are always trying to cross major streets anytime they want. A lot of ppl have been hit by cars.

Dude we know, racism and social inequality are the root of the problem...stop tryna act like you're making some profound revelation. By bringing this up everytime a black person does something idiotic, we perpetuate this kind of behavior. Stop it.
What good does knowledge do you if you don't APPLY it?  If you (and others) know these things, you sure aren't demonstrating such an understanding. 
laugh.gif
at you thinking I'm trying to make some "profound revelation" ... this is a dialogue fam.

If you actually read my posts in this thread, you would see that I actually defended the officer's actions and offered no defense or explanation for the actions of the two young women in the video.  I only brought up racism, marginalization, and criminalization in response to your general explanation and justification of police officers responding with more hostility in certain communities than in others.

And we perpetuate these type of dynamics and interactions by refusing to seek an understanding of the underlying issues at work, not by discussing them openly.

What good does knowledge do you if you don't APPLY it?  If you (and others) know these things, you sure aren't demonstrating such an understanding. 
laugh.gif
at you thinking I'm trying to make some "profound revelation" ... this is a dialogue fam.

If you actually read my posts in this thread, you would see that I actually defended the officer's actions and offered no defense or explanation for the actions of the two young women in the video.  I only brought up racism, marginalization, and criminalization in response to your general explanation and justification of police officers responding with more hostility in certain communities than in others.

And we perpetuate these type of dynamics and interactions by refusing to seek an understanding of the underlying issues at work, not by discussing them openly.

If you've followed my opinions on things on NT you would know I consider generalizations at mortal sin.

I'm  good friends with a cop.  I'm actually staying with one in the city for the weekend.

My point earlier was, you should NOT touch a cop EVER. Let's just leave it at that b.

Back
Top Bottom