Seattle SuperSonics Thread

I'm curious what exactly is the split on the arena between Hansen/his group and city funding?

Hansen's group puts up $290 million, and the city/county put up $200 million via bonds that would be paid back through taxes on concessions, tickets, parking, etc.

That's not bad at all! I wonder what the hang up is with the city/county 

There's no hang-up with the county. They've approved it (with some expected minor tweaks). The city is putting in a larger chunk of money, and they have political interests that are of concern (whether legit or not). That's been the hold-up there.

In the simplest terms, the public investment in the arena comes from money that only exists for the arena (bonds), so it's not like they're diverting $200 million from public schools, or something. And it will be paid back only by people who attend events at the arena (taxes). If you don't want to pay for the arena, then don't go to sporting events or concerts there.

There's no hang-up with the county. They've approved it (with some expected minor tweaks). The city is putting in a larger chunk of money, and they have political interests that are of concern (whether legit or not). That's been the hold-up there.

In the simplest terms, the public investment in the arena comes from money that only exists for the arena (bonds), so it's not like they're diverting $200 million from public schools, or something. And it will be paid back only by people who attend events at the arena (taxes). If you don't want to pay for the arena, then don't go to sporting events or concerts there.
Local political interests are always the worst, most of the time its blinded concern or just illegitimate posturing for self serving purposes. 

KJR killed the rumor today. Said Hansen hasn't talked to the Maloofs, and didn't offer $400 million.

i would love an NBA team in seattle agin. i hope hansen can seal the deal i think kings were in the bottom 5 though last year. we would have a hometown favorite isah thomas back up in the emerald city. right now closest team is the trailblazers which i like

SportsRadioKJR According to @kjrmitch , Chris Hansen and Seattle City Council on verge of arena deal. Could be announced 2day. However, likely next week.

Not the same thing...
What's different? Teams have been bought and sold and renamed since the inception of pro sports. hell, even the Kings didn't start in Sactown. I wonder if people in Cincinnati hate Sacramento now, people in Minnesota hate people in LA, Jersey to Brooklyn, could go on for days.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reloca...rts_teams#National_Basketball_Association1946: Detroit Gems moved to Minneapolis and became the Lakers.
1951: Tri-Cities Blackhawks (the "Tri Cities" area is now generally referred to as the "Quad Cities") moved to Milwaukee and became the Milwaukee Hawks.
1955: Milwaukee Hawks moved to St. Louis.
1957: Fort Wayne Pistons moved to Detroit.
1957: Rochester Royals moved to Cincinnati.
1960: Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles.
1962: Philadelphia Warriors moved to San Francisco.
1963: Chicago Zephyrs moved to Baltimore and became the Baltimore Bullets.
1963: Syracuse Nationals moved to Philadelphia and became the Philadelphia 76ers.
1968: St. Louis Hawks moved to Atlanta.
1971: San Diego Rockets moved to Houston.
1972: Cincinnati Royals moved to a new primary home in Kansas City and a secondary home in Omaha, and became the Kansas City-Omaha Kings. The team ceased Omaha operations in 1975.
1973: Dallas Chaparrals moved to San Antonio and became the San Antonio Spurs.
1977: One year after the ABA-NBA merger, the New York Nets became the New Jersey Nets. Although the Nets moved within the New York metropolitan area, they dramatically changed their primary market within the area. When representing New York, they played in Nassau County on Long Island; their primary fanbase then shifted to New Jersey.
1978: Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego and became the San Diego Clippers.
1979: New Orleans Jazz moved to Salt Lake City, Utah.
1984: San Diego Clippers moved to Los Angeles.
1985: Kansas City Kings moved to Sacramento, California.
2001: Vancouver Grizzlies moved to Memphis, Tennessee.
Further information: Vancouver Grizzlies relocation to Memphis

2002: Charlotte Hornets moved to New Orleans.
2005: New Orleans Hornets moved to Oklahoma City following Hurricane Katrina. The relocation was temporary and the team moved back to New Orleans in time for the 2007-08 NBA season.
Further information: Effect of Hurricane Katrina on the New Orleans Hornets

2008: Seattle SuperSonics moved to Oklahoma City and became the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Further information: Seattle SuperSonics relocation to Oklahoma City

2012: New Jersey Nets moved to Brooklyn, becoming Brooklyn's first major professional sports franchise since 1957.
The aggrandization like you guys have been victimized in some new, unique way is hilarious, all the while of course staging rallies in Costco parking lots to do the same to some other fanbase and try to dull the pain in the fact the Thunder were playing in the finals.

Last edited:
What's different? Teams have been bought and sold and renamed since the inception of pro sports. hell, even the Kings didn't start in Sactown. I wonder if people in Cincinnati hate Sacramento now, people in Minnesota hate people in LA, Jersey to Brooklyn, could go on for days.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reloca...rts_teams#National_Basketball_Association1946: Detroit Gems moved to Minneapolis and became the Lakers.
1951: Tri-Cities Blackhawks (the "Tri Cities" area is now generally referred to as the "Quad Cities") moved to Milwaukee and became the Milwaukee Hawks.
1963: Syracuse Nationals moved to Philadelphia and became the Philadelphia 76ers.
1972: Cincinnati Royals moved to a new primary home in Kansas City and a secondary home in Omaha, and became the Kansas City-Omaha Kings. The team ceased Omaha operations in 1975.
1977: One year after the ABA-NBA merger, the New York Nets became the New Jersey Nets. Although the Nets moved within the New York metropolitan area, they dramatically changed their primary market within the area. When representing New York, they played in Nassau County on Long Island; their primary fanbase then shifted to New Jersey.

2005: New Orleans Hornets moved to Oklahoma City following Hurricane Katrina. The relocation was temporary and the team moved back to New Orleans in time for the 2007-08 NBA season.

2008: Seattle SuperSonics moved to Oklahoma City and became the Oklahoma City Thunder.

2012: New Jersey Nets moved to Brooklyn, becoming Brooklyn's first major professional sports franchise since 1957.
The aggrandization like you guys have been victimized in some new, unique way is hilarious, all the while of course staging rallies in Costco parking lots to do the same to some other fanbase and try to dull the pain in the fact the Thunder were playing in the finals.

This is I was leading to. I agree, as long as Sports and business are intertwined this will continue to happen to other cities and fan bases.

Your attempt at equating a franchise like the Sonics to franchises that moved within the first decade of the NBA's entire existence is really funny. There's context to everything, which you've conveniently ignored.

Immaterial. **** was for sale, someone bought it. Obviously the owners didn't care about any type of history otherwise they would have made a concerted effort to find a local buyer.

Last edited:
So, it begins.
smokin.gif

pimp.gif

Who cares?
 Sounds like you do

and I dont see how fans are trying to act pissed in some new unique way, do they have to ackowledge past situations beforehand or some **** before they voice their anger?. So just because you list all of those moves, fans dont have a right to be pissed off because it's happen over a dozen times before? nice logic

C'mon son you want to compare the Kings moving from Natti to Sac and the Lakers from Minny to LA, that happen decades ago. You want to bet that some fans and people who followed the team back didnt feel slighted back then?..Did those people live in the same social media state as we do? Did they live in the same sports culture as we do now? Apples and Oranges, you can kill the generalizations now

If you don't care, be quiet and enjoy your talented team

Last edited:
I stand corrected.

I assumed that deal was pretty much done with Jamison and co.

Any chance this benefits the Mariners ending up with new management in the future?

Best news after a ****** weekend for seattle sports...I needed this

Best news after a ****** weekend for seattle sports...I needed this

For real. Even though I'm mainly just a Sonics fan, by Sunday night I was just thinking "it'd be nice if we heard something Monday." Prayers answered. At least sports talk radio won't be so doom and gloom Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom