Self-Hating Rich Kid Goes On Shooting Rampage, NTers Write Paragraphs Arguing About It

at this point you just arguing gun control for the sake of it, im against all guns

i cant really think you typed all that so you must copy/pasted off some nra website

ima just respond to this
they believe everything they do is right
if he believed what he was doing was right, why did he kill himself?
No. A factor is a factor... period. The term you are looking for is greatest common divisor.
come on, you're better than this.  you clearly understood the point i was making.

There isn't any conclusion. I just corrected you letting you know that PTSD is a mental illness that can happen to anyone. You said it wasn't. It is also not the only late onset mental illness that can effect people.
 you mean to tell me that if someone experiences something traumatic they express mental debilitation? 
eek.gif

i said ptsd couldn't happen to anyone?  i think you just misunderstood me to mean that no one can ever succumb to a mental illness

I've explained this thoroughly, just because something is illegal does not mean people will no longer have access to it. Banning gun by law is one thing...eliminating the existence of them is another.
yes it is another thing. something i would like to see happen.

edit:

just wanted to put this up for emphasis:
Guns do allow for a more civilized and balanced society. Prior to personal firearms there was no middle class and people lived in absolute poverty in monarchical societies. When people are armed it puts everyone on equal footing. There is good a reason no slaves in the history of the world were ever allowed firearms.

Lincoln freed the slaves, Samuel colt made them equal.

Last edited:
Lol yep.

In all seriousness tho, this situation is so overblown. I went to UCSB and it makes me a little sad/angry how much my fellow FB friends are putting up status updates, old pictures of the school, etc.

Nothing has changed. It's one crazy kid doing one crazy singular act. Considering the other evils that could befall a country (natural disaster, economic distress, etc) this is just a drop in the bucket. At the same time this is happening, there is that situation of 200 girls being kidnapped in Nigeria. It angers me so much that the world cares more about this than they do about that.

There are 300 million people in the US. There are bound to be a few super crazy ones. I'd rather not change our entire way of living to accommodate the .0001% of the population. The fear they generate is so irrational. For example, let's say somehow they scientifically proved that all the violent movies he watched and video games he played gave him the confidence to try this in person. Would I really want to stop the other 50 million people who do the same thing and don't become crazy from enjoying their past time? No.

It is awful those kids died. However, this singular incident isn't what an entire country should base economic, political, and social decisions on. It's the problem with the internet. Everyone gets the information right away....everyone has an opinion....everyone expects change.

at this point you just arguing gun control for the sake of it, im against all guns
Why though? What makes you hate all guns? They are just things like anything else. They serve many useful purposes; IE: hunting, sport shooting, collecting, defending our nation, stopping crime. It's pretty irrational to be against all guns.

I just want to point this out about guns. Doesn't matter whether it's a shotgun, a pistol, or Rifle. Forget those graphs and statistics. I may never fire my weapons at another person, I really hope that is the case. But if someday someone breaks into my house and threatens the life of those around me, I will be able to do something about it.

Why though? What makes you hate all guns? They are just things like anything else. They serve many useful purposes; IE: hunting, sport shooting, collecting, defending our nation, stopping crime. It's pretty irrational to be against all guns.

They are not just "things like anything else" my man.

I hate when people say they'd use a gun to defend themselves, or their loved ones. I guarantee if you looked up home invasions, getting mugged, murders, etc that the opportunity and reality of even getting your gun is so infinitesimal. And honestly, if your gun is in such an accessible place it is much more likely that your dumb kid, or their dumb friend, or some other dumb person, would end up using it in some unsafe way more than the chance of you using it to defend your family.

Scenario
You are home chillin with the family (say a normal house, living room, with door by the living room). For some reason, 3 goons want to rob your house. They break down your door and they come in with crowbars etc. Are you telling me that your first instinct would be to run to your safe, or drawer in your bedroom, or wherever you keep your gun, to try and fight them off. Any reasonable person would get their phone out to call the cops, while concurrently making sure they get their wife and child locked away before going to get your gun. And let's be serious, if it is 3 on 1 you have a better chance of survival if you just shut your pride up and let them take your stuff.

Could someone paint me a realistic scenario where having a gun prevents crime from happening? I love guns, but nobody walks around at home packing heat. I think guns have their place as an awesome display of power. It's just American egotism that says we need it in our house. Guns should be kept at a gun range. I have nothing against conceal laws, but if the point is personal safety, a gun is not the way to do it.

The TigerLight T100 is a much better way to defend yourself. It combines high intensity light and pepper spray. And you can carry it around all the time and never have to worry about killing anybody.

I hate when people say they'd use a gun to defend themselves, or their loved ones. I guarantee if you looked up home invasions, getting mugged, murders, etc that the opportunity and reality of even getting your gun is so infinitesimal. And honestly, if your gun is in such an accessible place it is much more likely that your dumb kid, or their dumb friend, or some other dumb person, would end up using it in some unsafe way more than the chance of you using it to defend your family.

Scenario
You are home chillin with the family (say a normal house, living room, with door by the living room). For some reason, 3 goons want to rob your house. They break down your door and they come in with crowbars etc. Are you telling me that your first instinct would be to run to your safe, or drawer in your bedroom, or wherever you keep your gun, to try and fight them off. Any reasonable person would get their phone out to call the cops, while concurrently making sure they get their wife and child locked away before going to get your gun. And let's be serious, if it is 3 on 1 you have a better chance of survival if you just shut your pride up and let them take your stuff.

Could someone paint me a realistic scenario where having a gun prevents crime from happening? I love guns, but nobody walks around at home packing heat. I think guns have their place as an awesome display of power. It's just American egotism that says we need it in our house. Guns should be kept at a gun range. I have nothing against conceal laws, but if the point is personal safety, a gun is not the way to do it.

The TigerLight T100 is a much better way to defend yourself. It combines high intensity light and pepper spray. And you can carry it around all the time and never have to worry about killing anybody.

some of the dumbest things ive heard on NT in a while

Scenario

some of the dumbest things ive heard on NT in a while

What are you talking about? He makes a good point. People on here think its just robber comes into my house, I'm gonna shoot them to protect mine. Are you walking around with your gun on you in your house at all times? Don't you have to go and get it? Are robbers breaking in when there are clearly people home?

What are you talking about? He makes a good point. People on here think its just robber comes into my house, I'm gonna shoot them to protect mine. Are you walking around with your gun on you in your house at all times? Don't you have to go and get it? Are robbers breaking in when there are clearly people home?
Buddy, there are thousands of examples of guns stopping crimes and defending civilians. Look them up. Saying that guns realistically dont stop crimes is asinine.

When I get strapped up, false bottoms everywhere. I'm popping guns out of arm rests, fake draws, I might pop out a damn shotty from under the table. Yes, all the ones high enough up that young children can't reach them will def be loaded, at least the one in the kitchen and the one over the fireplace, it'll look like a trophy, but it will be loaded and my family will know it.  My wife wife will be the only one who knows where everything is, then my children when they turn...hmmm fourteen.fifteen. They will be raised around guns, so guns won't be a "toy" or they won't be "interesting" they will be a fact of life, if they want to shoot, they will have their own. I'll have like five guns in the crib and no one will ever know. I'm popping guns out like moutha******* Kill Bill. Hopefully, if a home invasion happens, my family will be ready. Home invasions ain't ish to mess with.

14 15 is kind of late. I'm starting mine at 10-12 ish.

There is far more research on the question of who is most likely to get killed when someone keeps a gun at home. In a 1986 study called "Protection or Peril?," Dr. Arthur Kellermann, a University of Tennessee professor of medicine, and Dr. Donald Reay, chief medical examiner of King County in Washington, concluded that for each defensive, justifiable homicide there were 43 murders, suicides or accidental deaths. Out of 398 gunshot fatalities in homes in King County between 1978 and 1983, only nine were motivated by self- defense.

The one-week survey by TIME found a similar ratio on a national basis: only 14 of the 464 gun deaths resulted from defensive firing. An alarming 216 were suicides, 22 were accidental, and many of the rest involved homicides among people who knew each other well rather than citizens gunned down by strangers.

Such statistics do not refute the argument that a gun, even if not fired, can save a life by discouraging a murderous attacker. Still, Tulane sociologist James Wright points out that guns have limited usefulness in preventing crimes. About 90% of crimes in homes occur when the resident is away, he notes, while violent crimes often take place on the streets. Says Wright: "Unless you make a habit of walking around with your gun at all times, you're not going to stop that either."

Last edited:
When I get strapped up, false bottoms everywhere. I'm popping guns out of arm rests, fake draws, I might pop out a damn shotty from under the table. Yes, all the ones high enough up that young children can't reach them will def be loaded, at least the one in the kitchen and the one over the fireplace, it'll look like a trophy, but it will be loaded and my family will know it.  My wife wife will be the only one who knows where everything is, then my children when they turn...hmmm fourteen.fifteen. They will be raised around guns, so guns won't be a "toy" or they won't be "interesting" they will be a fact of life, if they want to shoot, they will have their own. I'll have like five guns in the crib and no one will ever know. I'm popping guns out like moutha******* Kill Bill. Hopefully, if a home invasion happens, my family will be ready. Home invasions ain't ish to mess with.

14 15 is kind of late. I'm starting mine at 10-12 ish.

My 5 year old has been to the range with me twice this year. I grew up around guns, have owned pistols off and on since I was 16. Being taught how to handle a firearm properly goes a long way.

Wow

Back
Top Bottom