September Wrestling Thread 2021

Maybe 25/75 serious/goofy ratio?

He is probably going to become the champ via cash-in, so he doesn't necessarily need to "climb that ladder" in order to get put in that spot.

Kinda see him as Cena-ish. Mostly goofy, but actually can get a little serious.
Got you.

When he wins the title, do you think he would benefit from altering that 25/75 ratio or is, "EVerything Fine" the way it stands?

Like he can basically do exactly what Kofi did during his run, except he's actually more believable and threatening.

datboi81 datboi81 cosmiccoffee9 cosmiccoffee9 layziegunts layziegunts

I will say this, one thing I do want to get into about that is — it’s slightly controversial. They tend to describe Black performers in sports as great athletes, right? And I don’t take that as an insult. I believe that is a very, very — it’s a great compliment, but, that’s not all we are and sometimes it gets to be — I read tweets and from time to time, I’ll read tweets and I’ll read things people write and I don’t wanna just be known as a great athlete. Everyone knows I’m a great athlete but I’m also a great wrestler, I’m a great performer and I’m one of the best. It’s just one of those things like you know, you don’t look — when they write about Adam Page, it’s like, ‘Oh, he’s got a lot of charisma, he’s so good.’ It’s never just, ‘Oh, he’s a great athlete’ and so that’s just something — that’s a narrative that I want to call attention to and start changing. We are more than athletes. You know, like LeBron [James] actually [has] that as a t-shirt, ‘More Than An Athlete.’ We’re more than athletes and again, I just wanna call attention to that.

I don’t want to go on a rant about it but we do get put into this box in the sense of sometimes, especially if you’re a Black male performer, if you aren’t a rapper or some type of street guy as your character, a lot of fans or maybe even people in the business just think that you don’t have any character or charisma and so, there’s nothing [that] could be more ridiculous than that and it’s just — it’s old thinking that they want to put us in this box that they’re used to seeing and they’re comfortable with and I don’t even think it’s intentional but it’s just, again, what they’re used to seeing and so it’s all about change, calling awareness to that and changing it.

The Rock
John Cena
Hulk Hogan

All had high levels of goofy in their blood and probably wouldn't have reached the level they did without it

Sometimes I think people forget that children are a very large part of the professional wrestling audience

I'm glad they let Big E be himself. Would be boring if every world champ had to act like a serious monster. Remember Drew said it was better when he could be himself and less of a psycho who wanted to kill everyone.

The Rock
John Cena
Hulk Hogan

All had high levels of goofy in their blood and probably wouldn't have reached the level they did without it

Sometimes I think people forget that children are a very large part of the professional wrestling audience

Hull Cogan (in his prime run) would have never thrown pancakes into the crowd or come from the locker room
to watch a match in a bath towel. Big E is on a whole other level of goof comparably. It's not even close.

kurt angle was comedy gold but everyone knew he could suplex you a dozen times and put you in the angle lock. I'd take Big E's goofiness over roman having horse teeth and a crooked haircut.

Tile_Mobile_charlotte_1200x2100_crop_center.jpg

Yeah but you look at big e and watch him in the ring and know he's a powerhouse. Some of you geezers sounding outdated like jemele and only want guys as big and scary like nia jax who makes the ground shake and her panties wet.

I would bump the posts of some of yall slurping these comments from 7 months ago but yall can pretend him being JUST AS goofy as he has traditionally been is what's needed.

BUt yea, I guess this dude speaking is also #OutofTOuch

Back
Top Bottom