Shaq: I compete with Duncan, not Kobe

I agreed with what he said until he started saying "little guys who throw up 30 shots a game."

1. He used to put up a ton of shots a game in his prime
2. He didn't have to word it that way. His quote would've been fine without that last addition.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

The thing is as far back as I can remember he's always talked about being in competition with The Big Funds, it was Laker fans who made it a Shaq?Kobe thing. So this doesn't surprise me at all, as a matter of fact I was just saying this to a cowoker of mine who's a huge LA/Kobe fan todays ago
laugh.gif

I must be super late because thats the first time I've heard someone refer to Duncan as The Big Funds. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

The thing is as far back as I can remember he's always talked about being in competition with The Big Funds, it was Laker fans who made it a Shaq?Kobe thing. So this doesn't surprise me at all, as a matter of fact I was just saying this to a cowoker of mine who's a huge LA/Kobe fan todays ago
laugh.gif

I must be super late because thats the first time I've heard someone refer to Duncan as The Big Funds. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Either way Kobe should STILL be thanking Shaq for his first 3 rings.
And Shaq should be thanking Kobe that he was on the team. Shaq would not have won those 3 rings by himself.
this. i love shaq and he was the most dominant of the 2000s but as much as kobe and wade should thank him for their rings, he should thank them both equally

And Shaq should be thanking Kobe that he was on the team. Shaq would not have won those 3 rings by himself.
this. i love shaq and he was the most dominant of the 2000s but as much as kobe and wade should thank him for their rings, he should thank them both equally

Yeah sure.........3 Championship Rings and 3 Finals MVP for Shaq during their tenure together but somehow Shaq should be thanking Kobe.  Not to mention Shaq was on the Lakers team before Kobe.  Nice try champ.

Yeah sure.........3 Championship Rings and 3 Finals MVP for Shaq during their tenure together but somehow Shaq should be thanking Kobe.  Not to mention Shaq was on the Lakers team before Kobe.  Nice try champ.

Not to mention Shaq was on the Lakers team before Kobe.  Nice try champ.
they both joined the Lakers in 1996. nice try champ

Not to mention Shaq was on the Lakers team before Kobe.  Nice try champ.
they both joined the Lakers in 1996. nice try champ

Shaq has needed a stellar guard to be coupled w/ for all of his Finals appearances and championships; Penny, Kobe, and Wade have been those guards.

Kobe has needed a big for all his Finals appearances and championships; Shaq and Pau have been those bigs.

Shaq has needed Kobe; Kobe has needed Shaq.

However, Shaq was the more dominant force during their 3 rings together, so he has those 3 Finals MVPs. Duncan also has 3 Finals MVPs, doesn't he? (4 rings, with Tony Parker winning 1 of those Finals MVPs, right?)

So yeah, Shaq needed Kobe, but still, Shaq was the more dominant force, so he got those MVPs. Kobe now has 2. Will he get a 3rd? Maybe. Right now, though, he has 2, Shaq has 3, Duncan has 3 (I think).

Shaq has needed a stellar guard to be coupled w/ for all of his Finals appearances and championships; Penny, Kobe, and Wade have been those guards.

Kobe has needed a big for all his Finals appearances and championships; Shaq and Pau have been those bigs.

Shaq has needed Kobe; Kobe has needed Shaq.

However, Shaq was the more dominant force during their 3 rings together, so he has those 3 Finals MVPs. Duncan also has 3 Finals MVPs, doesn't he? (4 rings, with Tony Parker winning 1 of those Finals MVPs, right?)

So yeah, Shaq needed Kobe, but still, Shaq was the more dominant force, so he got those MVPs. Kobe now has 2. Will he get a 3rd? Maybe. Right now, though, he has 2, Shaq has 3, Duncan has 3 (I think).

Shaq was the more dominant force, so he got those MVPs
Just wanted to quote this statement so all the Kobe lovers can see it.

they both joined the Lakers in 1996.
  Make no mistake about it though champ, that was Shaq's team during their tenure.  Kobe just happened to take it over after he snitch on Shaq and got him shipped out of town.

Make no mistake about it though champ, that was Shaq's team during their tenure.  Kobe just happened to take it over after he snitch on Shaq and got him shipped out of town.

Regardless of all the asinine things that Shaq says (or has said in the past), I'm glad he's still in the league.

Chiming into the discussion though, obviously he feels the need to be more successful than Kobe ever since his tenure in L.A.. He'll never admit it, but after the history they shared in L.A. and all the drama they put the team through, it's hard to believe that the comment didn't sting.

But the bottom line is that he is right.

History will judge Shaq against the contemporaries of his time. Their battles and impact on the game won't be as substantial as Bill & Wilt, Magic & Bird, etc.. but Duncan and Shaq put their stamp on the league for a good 7-8 years.

Regardless of all the asinine things that Shaq says (or has said in the past), I'm glad he's still in the league.

Chiming into the discussion though, obviously he feels the need to be more successful than Kobe ever since his tenure in L.A.. He'll never admit it, but after the history they shared in L.A. and all the drama they put the team through, it's hard to believe that the comment didn't sting.

But the bottom line is that he is right.

History will judge Shaq against the contemporaries of his time. Their battles and impact on the game won't be as substantial as Bill & Wilt, Magic & Bird, etc.. but Duncan and Shaq put their stamp on the league for a good 7-8 years.

No one will ever deny Shaq's dominance.... and i will always say Shaq was a beast in his prime.... but lets get it straight.
He would not have one those rings without Kobe... and vice versa.

i have a personal problem with calling Shaq the most dominant, i mean.... he was the most unguardable.... but i think he should have more rings, MVP's etc to show for his dominance.... i mean damn he has been swept out of the playoffs what... 4 times,  3 of them in his prime i believe.

Shaq is still appreciated in my book, ( not this year, cuz he is a Celtic....
sick.gif
)

No one will ever deny Shaq's dominance.... and i will always say Shaq was a beast in his prime.... but lets get it straight.
He would not have one those rings without Kobe... and vice versa.

i have a personal problem with calling Shaq the most dominant, i mean.... he was the most unguardable.... but i think he should have more rings, MVP's etc to show for his dominance.... i mean damn he has been swept out of the playoffs what... 4 times,  3 of them in his prime i believe.

Shaq is still appreciated in my book, ( not this year, cuz he is a Celtic....
sick.gif
)

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

I don't see why this is even an issue?

People trying to make something out of nothing.
Because the sports media refuses to let the Shaq v. Kobe thing die.  Unfortunately, Kobe gave them an opening to resurrect the topic with his comments after the Lakers won last season. 

But I agree with you, I don't see what Shaq said as being a big deal.  Just Shaq being Shaq.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

I don't see why this is even an issue?

People trying to make something out of nothing.
Because the sports media refuses to let the Shaq v. Kobe thing die.  Unfortunately, Kobe gave them an opening to resurrect the topic with his comments after the Lakers won last season. 

But I agree with you, I don't see what Shaq said as being a big deal.  Just Shaq being Shaq.

Ohh right, because Shaq won so many rings before Kobe got there, right?

Idiot.

Ohh right, because Shaq won so many rings before Kobe got there, right?

Idiot.

Back
Top Bottom