Should we tax churches? (Not time to bash religion, we're talking about money)

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Originally Posted by AF92

Hell yea, Its about time we do. Churches make billions exploiting followers and its all untaxed. IMHO its no different than any other business, they're selling a product as far as I'm concerned so why not tax them?
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]THIS.[/color]
yep.

Originally Posted by georgehimself

Tax churches and prostitutes.

And weed
absolutely.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Originally Posted by AF92

Hell yea, Its about time we do. Churches make billions exploiting followers and its all untaxed. IMHO its no different than any other business, they're selling a product as far as I'm concerned so why not tax them?
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]THIS.[/color]
yep.

Originally Posted by georgehimself

Tax churches and prostitutes.

And weed
absolutely.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

You failed to look at the chart I see. The rich have ALWAYS been taxed incredibly more than the poorest tax bracket. Right now is the lowest difference between tax brackets we've seen.
Just cause it used to be a certain way doesnt make it right.

And its much harder to give and then take away, then to never have given at all.
How you can go against what has worked for the country for SOOO long. Its obvious that we need to tax the rich more than we have been doing so, this pattern has already happened a few times in history we need to realize it. The rich people promote this idea that they will be "hurt" by taxes when they have always been taxed more and just have recently been decreasing since Reagen. The government is missing out on a LOT of money that they would of had.

You failed to look at the chart I see. The rich have ALWAYS been taxed incredibly more than the poorest tax bracket. Right now is the lowest difference between tax brackets we've seen.

And its much harder to give and then take away, then to never have given at all.
How you can go against what has worked for the country for SOOO long. Its obvious that we need to tax the rich more than we have been doing so, this pattern has already happened a few times in history we need to realize it. The rich people promote this idea that they will be "hurt" by taxes when they have always been taxed more and just have recently been decreasing since Reagen. The government is missing out on a LOT of money that they would of had.

Let's stop for a second to think of WHY we don't tax churches or other nonprofit organizations.  The intention of that section of the tax code is to benefit the local communities that they reside in.  They are meant to help with relieving the government from having to provide programs that help with addictions, welfare and support for single parents, activities that provide things to do for the community and many more things.  I'll take a look in my back yard at Saddleback Church run by Rick Warren.  They fund numerous programs that reach out to Africa and provide funding for anti-AIDS programs, they provide new shoes to school children, and MANY other social programs that go largely unnoticed.

Let's think about it for a second.  How much money from the government goes overseas and is wasted or goes to corrupt leaders?  With a nonprofit, those funds come directly out of their pockets and are audited heavily by their donors.  Therefore, the money is better spent and goes much farther in promoting social causes than world governments are able to do. 

Let's stop for a second to think of WHY we don't tax churches or other nonprofit organizations.  The intention of that section of the tax code is to benefit the local communities that they reside in.  They are meant to help with relieving the government from having to provide programs that help with addictions, welfare and support for single parents, activities that provide things to do for the community and many more things.  I'll take a look in my back yard at Saddleback Church run by Rick Warren.  They fund numerous programs that reach out to Africa and provide funding for anti-AIDS programs, they provide new shoes to school children, and MANY other social programs that go largely unnoticed.

Let's think about it for a second.  How much money from the government goes overseas and is wasted or goes to corrupt leaders?  With a nonprofit, those funds come directly out of their pockets and are audited heavily by their donors.  Therefore, the money is better spent and goes much farther in promoting social causes than world governments are able to do. 

maybe its an oversimplification on my part, but how is it a fallacy that the "the rich will be hurt by taxes"?

higher tax rate means less money in their pocket (the rich).  how does that not hurt them?

maybe its an oversimplification on my part, but how is it a fallacy that the "the rich will be hurt by taxes"?

higher tax rate means less money in their pocket (the rich).  how does that not hurt them?

I dont think we can do that in this country due to the separation of church and state. I could be wrong though. 

I dont think we can do that in this country due to the separation of church and state. I could be wrong though. 

laugh.gif
@ 73 PERCENT TAXES

If this were the case I wouldn't be busting my *** in school all these years.

laugh.gif
@ 73 PERCENT TAXES

If this were the case I wouldn't be busting my *** in school all these years.

Most definitely. If they make more than their operational costs, by all means, tax them because churches are supposed to be there for the good of society anyway.

Most definitely. If they make more than their operational costs, by all means, tax them because churches are supposed to be there for the good of society anyway.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

Co-sign. Maybe NT's mentality of churches is that every church is a mega church and is ran by Dollar clones and these other hustlers. There are some small/medium sized churches making an impact on communities. Like everything though,it's hard to know who is truly humble and who is in it for the profit.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

Co-sign. Maybe NT's mentality of churches is that every church is a mega church and is ran by Dollar clones and these other hustlers. There are some small/medium sized churches making an impact on communities. Like everything though,it's hard to know who is truly humble and who is in it for the profit.

General question:

If America was in better financial shape, would you still want to tax churches?

In a perfect world, do you feel that churches should financially contribute along measured, official, auditable lines to the governments around them?

Or, is the prevailing attitude, "we need  more revenue, and churches have a lot of money, so we should force the churches to give up some of that money?"

BTW, i have not decided how i feel about this yet.

General question:

If America was in better financial shape, would you still want to tax churches?

In a perfect world, do you feel that churches should financially contribute along measured, official, auditable lines to the governments around them?

Or, is the prevailing attitude, "we need  more revenue, and churches have a lot of money, so we should force the churches to give up some of that money?"

BTW, i have not decided how i feel about this yet.

I know my church barely makes ends meet, and I'd say the majority of churches do. You wouldnt get much revenue from them except more bankrupted churches
ohwell.gif

I know my church barely makes ends meet, and I'd say the majority of churches do. You wouldnt get much revenue from them except more bankrupted churches
ohwell.gif

After watching the video, it's pretty misleading.  As a nonprofit, most churches are required to disclose their revenues upon request.  This is part of the Patriot Act to prevent nonprofit organizations from secretly funding terrorist activities.

If the "documentarian" did his homework, he could have asked most of the mega churches for their financials rather than just painting the entire tent with the same brush.  I would also like to know what qualifies as a "mega church".  1400 seems pretty excessive.

Back
Top Bottom