Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

Originally Posted by tupac003

JapanAir21 wrote:
bjm5295 wrote:
Quick question..

Are teams free to sign any player to what they want, so long as they pony up the Luxury Tax, or is it like football where they cant sign over a certain point?

No, say.. The Lakers couldn't go out and offer Josh Smith a max-contract if they like right now. Since they're over the cap, the only thing they could offer is the annual Mid-Level Exception. This isn't baseball.
laugh.gif

To add to that, the only time teams are allowed to go over the cap is to re-sign thier own players. If basketball was like baseball the knick's, laker's, mav's, king's and blazer's would have all star teams. The owner have money to blow.

QFT.

If a team is over the salary cap but wants to sign their players to contracts, they can exceed the cap, but still have to pay luxury tax if they pass thethreshold. Luxury tax is often hit because of back-loaded contracts, or through re-signing of developing players.

Originally Posted by MeloVP

Originally Posted by slickrick916

Josh smith to GS anyone? Do the warriors have the funds to throw a big contract at him?

nah. they just threw the fifty at mags, and josh obviously wants a big number, one that he won't be able to get
josh's only option now is the hawks, i think the grizz have the money for him, but reportedly aren't interested

I think Memphis plan is to just let him take his qualifying offer knowing that he doesn't want to stay in ATL and try to grab him next off-season.

I wonder would Sacramento be interested in a Critt for Garcia swap?
nerd.gif

warriors can still land josh smith. it would require a sign and trade, but we can still offer him 15-16 a year if we shipped out Harrington + the remainder ofour cap space...

i know it won't happen, but there's always a chance...

does anyone know why josh smith doesnt want to sign back with the hawks ? this is bad for the atlanta fans out there...like me and 3 other NT'ers...

any update on where the rookies signed their shoe deals? saw donte greene rocking adidas anyone know his contract details.

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

warriors can still land josh smith. it would require a sign and trade, but we can still offer him 15-16 a year if we shipped out Harrington + the remainder of our cap space...

i know it won't happen, but there's always a chance...
it'd be cool if we can get him at the right price, but it seems too farfetched and i get the feeling mullin isn't going to make other movesbesides signing a backup point and/or trading Harrington.

Originally Posted by diew its james

does anyone know why josh smith doesnt want to sign back with the hawks ? this is bad for the atlanta fans out there...like me and 3 other NT'ers...

The national media has paid attention to the Hawks for 2 weeks out of the past 10 years. I wouldn't believe much of anything they have to say...

The local beat writer said this today...
I saw the story on SI's website and I'll say it again for the umpteenth time, neither Smith nor anyone else affiliated with him has ever said (on or off the record) that he doesn't want to be here or doesn't want to play for Woodson.
Despite their very public dust ups in the past, Smith and Woodson had a smooth (no pun intended) working relationship this past season. Are they going to be spotted at each other's houses partying anytime soon? Probably not. But neither are any of his teammates.

But you'd be surprised, his relationship with Woodson is better than Woodson's relationship with some other guys on the team (lots of guys chafed under Woodson's gruff style the past four years but didn't shoot back at him the way Smith did).

What I can tell you for a fact is that when the new general manager sat down with all the players and asked them for their honest opinions on all things, including Woodson (and this was before Woodson received his contract extension), Smith is one of the players that didn't have a single bad thing to say about Woodson (I know of at least two other guys that didn't hold back and let Woodson have it). So even if he felt it deep down, Smith never voiced it to Rick Sund or anyone else.

Listen, the kid's 22 and had some dust ups with his coach. Big deal. I think far too much has been made of all the drama. I'll aslo point out that those rifts were far from a one-sided deal. Woodson owns just as much of the blame for those dust ups as Smith does.

But they've never allowed that stuff to keep them from being able to work together. And Woodson knows better than anyone how important Smith is to the Hawks' cause now and in the future, so don't believe all the hype about their frayed relationship.

Those two will work together just fine if (and really when) Smith's new deal is done.

He said on the radio yesterday that Josh Smith's father called him personally and said these stories about Josh wanting out of Atlanta are b.s.

(And I'd bet anything that the two dudes that ripped Woodson were Salim Stoudamire and Zaza Pachulia...)
I think Memphis plan is to just let him take his qualifying offer knowing that he doesn't want to stay in ATL and try to grab him next off-season.

...and you know damn well Memphis doesn't have anything like that planned.
laugh.gif

There's no way in hell Josh Smith takes the QO and plays for $3.1 million next season. It's just so far below his market value. He might take a 3year deal like a lot of guys have done recently, but he's going to come away with something in the neighborhood of $10 mil./season.

heard he doesn't get along with woodson...he probably took it personal when they gave the coach an extension, almost made it seem like they chose him overj smooth.

I think a KT+Artest for Howard+Stackhouse deal would be sufficient
That deal on paper and completely removed from Sacramento's situation sounds perfectly fine, and the reasoning of wanting one of Salmons orGarcia if you took on Thomas' contract is legitimate. We hate that guy and his contract and always have in Sacramento. The Webber for K9+Williamson+Skinnerwas easily the stupidest decision Petrie has ever made as GM. But the trade you mention above would give Sacramento Martin, Salmons, Garcia, Howard,Stackhouse--5 guys who all basically play the same position and aren't astoundingly different from one another. And we'd still be left with Mikki Mooreas our starting power foward, with a big man rotation of him, Miller, and 2 rookies, which is by anyone's standards, garbage. So I'm just saying,Salmons is ready to start, and the Kings weakest position is the 4 spot, so I just don't see a trade with a guy like Howard happening.

Artest is better than Howard as it is.
Is he really definitively better? I don't see it. At least not enough so that the Mavericks should have to take on that crappy contractwithout some other type of incentive...

But if you'd rather have Lamar Odom, David Lee, or Zach Randolph, more power to you, I guess...

Josh smith to GS anyone? Do the warriors have the funds to throw a big contract at him?
prob not after we ink Monta and Andris. I wish they woulda tried to go after him instead of Magette.

Originally Posted by Beats05

I think a KT+Artest for Howard+Stackhouse deal would be sufficient
That deal on paper and completely removed from Sacramento's situation sounds perfectly fine, and the reasoning of wanting one of Salmons or Garcia if you took on Thomas' contract is legitimate. We hate that guy and his contract and always have in Sacramento. The Webber for K9+Williamson+Skinner was easily the stupidest decision Petrie has ever made as GM. But the trade you mention above would give Sacramento Martin, Salmons, Garcia, Howard, Stackhouse--5 guys who all basically play the same position and aren't astoundingly different from one another. And we'd still be left with Mikki Moore as our starting power foward, with a big man rotation of him, Miller, and 2 rookies, which is by anyone's standards, garbage. So I'm just saying, Salmons is ready to start, and the Kings weakest position is the 4 spot, so I just don't see a trade with a guy like Howard happening.

I see your point, and Howard doesn't necessarily address your needs with PF, which is why I suggested Bass as a filler and giving Salmons, but I seethat he's significant to the future of the Kings (although I think Beno+Martin+Howard+Bass/Moore+Miller is sufficient enough for a rebuilding team).We're just speculating because we've heard rumors and rumblings of Artest and Howard, and trying to see what the situation could be where we wouldexchange players. If it were to be more than a simple core of Stack/Josh for Ron/KT, there's not much flexibility on either side. The only other pieces wecan offer are Bass/Jones, and the only reasonable choices you could give up are Garcia/Salmons (seeing as you would have a logjam). If we were to throw in Bassthough, I think we'd ask for someone else in return to make it a thee-for-three player trade, and I don't even know if you guys are fond of Bass ornot.

^ If we put Bass in the deal, there's no way I'd be for that move unless Garcia was coming back this way... No way I'm a fan of giving up Josh,Stack, and Bass for Artest and Thomas' contract...

Warriors could sign Smith if they only get a new contract with Monta. Andris could get a new contract next year, since he's such a good team player(wishfulthinking. Foyle's $9 million comes off the books next season so we're going to have even more cap space next year. If only I was the GM
smh.gif

That's what I initially proposed (Bass+Stack+Josh+Jones for Artest+Salmons+KT). I think it's a dealbreaker if we have to include Bass and get no oneother than Ron and KT in return, but it doesn't address the Kings need in PF.

Originally Posted by xCautioNx

prob not after we ink Monta and Andris. I wish they woulda tried to go after him instead of Magette.

Trade Andris for Smith! Jesus christ i dunno why people are so high on biedrins....

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by xCautioNx

Trade Andris for Smith! Jesus christ i dunno why people are so high on biedrins....

Who would you like to be their starting Center? Even if the Warriors did like that, I don't think the Hawks would like it so much. Biedrins fits theWarriors style of play perfectly, and he doesn't demand the ball, he cleans up the boards and get's his points off rebounds and easy buckets.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by MeloVP

nah. they just threw the fifty at mags, and josh obviously wants a big number, one that he won't be able to get
josh's only option now is the hawks, i think the grizz have the money for him, but reportedly aren't interested

I wonder would Sacramento be interested in a Critt for Garcia swap?
nerd.gif

ehh, they pretty high on cisco, they just booked beno for five years, and they got quincy (BROOKLYN!)

so that would be a no

in other news, did y'all know that kenny thomas is 38!

eek.gif
roll.gif

+%# did he do to get that deal?

[h1]Lue Signs WIth Bucks[/h1]
Jul 16, 2008 9:58 PM EST
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
Lue_Tyronn_dal.jpg

The Phoenix Suns and Boston Celtics both missed out on their free agent target on Wednesday, when point guard Tyronn Lue agreed to a two year contract with theMilwaukee Bucks, the East Valley Tribune is reporting.

Lue signed for the bi-annual exception of $1.9 million, which Phoenix did not have available after using the exception on Grant Hill last season.

The move comes as a double blow for the Celtics, who earlier in the day lost free agent James Posey to the New Orleans Hornets.

The Suns will now look at Sam Cassell, Jason Williams, and Shaun Livingston, or they could try to trade to find a backup for Steve Nash.

I didn't see that coming, I guess he thinks he'll get big minutes behind Mo??

Also, Boobie's back

[h1]Cavs Sign Gibson To Multi-Year Deal[/h1]

Jul 16, 2008 11:12 AM EST

Gibson_Daniel_cle.jpg
Cleveland Cavaliers guard DanielGibson has signed a multi-year contract with the team, Cavaliers General Manager Danny Ferry announced today. Per team and league policy, terms of the dealwere not disclosed.

During the 2007-08 season, Gibson averaged career highs of 10.4 points on .432 shooting, 2.3 rebounds and 2.5 assists in 58 games played (26 starts). Heranked fifth in the NBA in three-point percentage (.440). During the 2008 All-Star Weekend, the 22-year old guard was named MVP of the T-Mobile RookieChallenge after scoring 33 points on a game-record 11 three-pointers and finished second in the Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout.

"Daniel has been an important part of our Cavs family the last two seasons. He has worked to grow as a player and we love his passion for winning andthe game itself. He's been great off the court as well, and is exactly the kind of person we're proud to have with us," said Ferry. "Inre-signing Daniel, it helps the Cavs both build continuity and create a young core that will be in Cleveland for many years to come."

Via Press Release

Originally Posted by Donkey K0NG

Tmac rumors are a joke.

Looks like Tmac wants to go to the Lakers, Pistons, Celtics, Spurs, and Hornets.

All this T-Mac stuff is overblown for two reasons:

1. Some obscure Toronto newspaper reported that there were trade talks, when there isn't.

2. Then like a week later, Stephen A decides to pick it up, and comment yesterday how T-Mac is 'interested.' Stephen A overblows the comment howT-Mac is interested in a 'winning situation' That doesn't mean he wants to go to Detroit.

Trust me, T-Mac will not get traded.

Our GM is a numbers guy, and he's setting himself up for 2010 just like everybody else. Hence the Brent Barry deal, which is a 2 year deal. Everybodyexcept Battier and Yao comes off the books for the Rockets in 2010.

Originally Posted by DLo13

...hell is T. Lue doing?
laugh.gif

Seriously, what the hell?
laugh.gif

The Bucks, too.

They got Mo, Bell, and this dude Sessions was TEARING IT UP as the season ended. Throwing out like 20 assists and stuff.
eek.gif
laugh.gif

How does Lue fit there?

Unless the Bucks are looking to move Mo..

Back
Top Bottom