Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

This assessment of the Lakers' rookie swingman Sun Yue comes from a veteran NBA executive, who has scouted hundreds of players both internationally and in the United States. "He has a nice feel for the game (and) he's a decent passer, with good size. However, he lacks quickness and toughness and doesn't shoot the ball well, with range. He is a below-average athlete." According to this NBA source, Sun is not a NBA-caliber player at this juncture and would not figure to be much of a factor with the Lakers this season, if he were to make the team. Orange County Register

Lakers guard Coby Karl was in Las Vegas last week participating in the annual Tim Grgurich skills camp. Asked how Karl looked, a veteran NBA coach responded, "He did what he does best - he made shots."Karl, who split the 2007-2008 season playing with the Lakers and their D-League team, the Los Angeles Defenders, is signed through the 2008-2009 season but it is with a team option that the Lakers have not yet decided to exercise. Orange County Register
[h2]Pacers Haven't Begun Negotiating WithGranger[/h2]
Granger_Danny_ind_071222.jpg

Aug 11, 2008 3:45 PM EST

ind_40.gif
The Indiana Pacers have the option toextend the contract of forward Danny Granger this summer, but have not opened up discussions yet.

"We haven't actually started that process yet," General Manager David Morway told RealGM's Andrew Perna last week. "We have untilOctober to do that, and I'm sure we will have conversations. Danny is a young player that we hope to build with, but we haven't even begunyet."

Granger averaged 19.6 points and 6.1 rebounds for Indiana last season and has quickly become the face of the franchise.

Agent Mark Bartelstein told the Indianapolis Star in July that Granger is interested in remaining with the Pacers over the long-term.

"He's excited about being a part of the community, and he's excited about being a part of the rebuilding of the Pacers," Bartelstein toldthe Star.

In addition to leading Indiana in scoring last season, Granger hit 40.4% of the 423 three-pointers he attempted in 2007-08. He also made 85.2% of his freethrows while missing just two games all year.

Via AndrewPerna/RealGM

Indiana Pacers

Read the FullStory Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

[h2]Artest Trade Three Days Away[/h2]
Aug 11, 2008 11:58 PM EST

hou_40.gif
Donte Greene's contract iseligible to be traded in only three days, allowing the deal with Sacramento involving Ron Artest and the Houston Rockets to finally go through.

Since Greene had signed a rookie contract with the Rockets, he could not be traded for 30 days.

The Rockets and Kings agreed to a deal involving Artest, Patrick Ewing Jr., and Sean Singletary from Sacramento in exchange for Bobby Jackson, Greene, a No.1 draft pick next season, and cash.

ViaRealGM

Houston Rockets, SacramentoKings

[h2]Kobe's Jersey The Top Seller InChina[/h2]
Aug 12, 2008 11:12 AM EST

lal_40.gif
For the second consecutive season,Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers had the top selling NBA jersey in China. Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce, members of the 2008 NBA Champion Boston Celtics,moved into the top five on this year's list.

Garnett, who had the most popular jersey in the U.S. this season, moved up to second this year in China. The Houston Rockets' Tracy McGrady ranked thirdfor the second consecutive season. Pierce, The Finals MVP, whose jersey was not in the top 10 last season moved up to fourth. The Denver Nuggets' AllenIverson dropped from second on last year's list to fifth to round out the top five. China's Yao Ming from the Houston Rockets, ranked 10th on the list,down from six last year.

Via PressRelease

Los Angeles Lakers

[h2]Felton Is Buying Into Brown's System[/h2]
Aug 12, 2008 11:07 AM EST

cha_40.gif
Bobcats point guard Raymond Feltonhas bought into new coach Larry Brown's system and is taking his role as co-captain very seriously, according to HoopsWorld.

"I've had several meetings with Coach Brown," Felton told HOOPSWORLD. "There's been good meetings. There's been meetings of,'I'm going to be very demanding of you Raymond. You're the captain. You're the leader of this team along with J-Rich (Jason Richardson) andGerald (Wallace), so I'm demanding a lot from you. I'm expecting a lot from you. I'm expecting you to lead these guys.' So I'm putting allthat on my shoulders. I'm looking forward to it."

There has been some speculation that rookie D.J. Augustin could challenge Felton for the team's starting job, but the incumbent doesn't appearworried.

"That means a lot," he said of Augustin. "You've got a kid coming off the bench when the team isn't going to lose a beat. He's agreat player."

ViaHoopsWorld

Charlotte Bobcats

[h2]Suns Will Look At Stoudamire, WilksIf Dragic Stays[/h2]
Aug 12, 2008 11:01 AM EST

phx_40.gif
The Suns are expected to take a lookat free agent point guards Damon Stoudamire and Mike Wilks if 2008 draft pick Goran Dragic opts to stay in Europe, according to The Arizona Republic.

Dragic is still under contract with Tau Ceramica, which means he'd have to negotiate a buyout in order to play for the Suns this season.

Via TheArizona Republic

Phoenix Suns

[h2]U.S. Improves To 2-0 With Win OverAngola[/h2]
Aug 12, 2008 10:52 AM EST

nba_40.gif
The United States improved to 2-0 inBeijing with a win over Angola on Tuesday, according to NBC.com.

Dwyane Wade led the team with 19 points and 5 rebounds, while Dwight Howard tallied 14 points and 2 blocks in the victory.

The U.S. took a 28-point lead into the fourth quarter, but Angola was able to trim seven points off the lead with a strong fourth quarter.

Carlos Morais led Angola in defeat with 24 points, but struggled through 10 turnovers.

ViaNBC.com

General Basketball

Read the FullStory Discuss Send Feedback

[h2]Gasol Leads Spain To Huge ComebackWin Over China[/h2]
Aug 12, 2008 8:02 AM EST

nba_40.gif
China led comfortably all gameagainst medal favorites Spain, but let a big lead disappear in the fourth quarter then lost Yao Ming in overtime before finally falling to the experiencedSpaniards by 10 points, 85-75.

Pau Gasol was huge for Spain, finishing with 29 points and 8 rebounds, while Rudy Fernandez would have had Portland fans smiling with 21 points, 8 reboundsand 6 assists. Youngster Ricky Rubio was terrific defensively, making life difficult for the Chinese point guards.

Lui Wei led the Chinese with 19 points, including 4-7 from behind the three point arc, while Zhu Fangyu was also strong from distance, finishing 5-8 fromthree for 15 points.

Yao Ming had 11 points and 9 rebounds before fouling out, while Yi Jianlian had 9 rebounds and only four points.

ViaRealGM

General Basketball, Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets, Portland Trail Blazers

Read the FullStory Discuss Send Feedback

[h2]Suns Still Confident They Can LandDragic[/h2]
Aug 11, 2008 11:15 PM EST

phx_40.gif
Despite most believing it to be along shot at best, the Phoenix Suns are still confident they'll be able to get point guard Goran Dragic in uniform this season, and according to a reportby the East Valley Tribune, they'll know one way or another by the end of the week.

While the Suns remain confident, Dragic again told a media outlet that he'll be staying at Tau.

Dragic told Marca.com that he's not coming to the Suns and will stay with Tau, where he has two years remaining on his contract with a buyout for $1.5million at the end of this season.

"I need to play basketball (with Tau), to train hard under the orders of (head coach) Dusko Ivanovic and improve my game," Dragic said in atranslated quote.

Should Dragic stay in Europe, Jannero Pargo may be an option. Pargo has been mulling over a $2 million offer from the San Antonio Spurs for over a week,according to the Tribune, and this may be because of the potential interest from the Suns.

Via EastValley Tribune

Phoenix Suns, San AntonioSpurs

[h2]Hawks Sign Gardner, Hunter To Deals[/h2]
Aug 11, 2008 9:11 PM EST

atl_40.gif
The Atlanta Hawks have signed freeagents Thomas Gardner and Othello Hunter to contracts, announced today by General Manager Rick Sund. Per team policy, terms of the agreements were notdisclosed.

"Both players played well in our mini-camp and summer league," said Sund. "Thomas is a solid shooter with range who has the ability to scorein bunches. Othello is an athletic power forward who runs the floor really well."

A 6-5 guard, Gardner averaged a team-high 16.3 ppg (sixth in the tourney), along with 2.5 rpg, 1.5 apg, and 1.5 spg during the Rocky Mountain Revue, hitting.480 FG's (.467 3FGs) and .750 FTs. The Missouri product played in four games last season with the Chicago Bulls, averaging 5.3 ppg and 1.0 rpg.

During the 2006-07 campaign, Gardner saw action in Belgium with Verviers-Pepinster and helped lead the club to the Belgian Cup semifinals. He played threeseasons at Mizzou, tallying 19.7 ppg as a junior for the Tigers. Thomas Earl Gardner was born February 8, 1985 in Portland, Oregon.

Hunter, an undrafted rookie big man from Ohio State, put up 13.2 ppg, a team-best 6.2 rpg, 2.0 apg and 1.2 spg in five Hawks summer league contests. Heplayed in 76 career games for the Buckeyes, averaging 7.8 ppg and 5.5 rpg (.583 FG%). Nearly half of his 415 career rebounds were on the offensive glass(178).

He finished second in the Big Ten in field goal percentage as a senior (.596), and equaled the seventh-best single-season mark in OSU history. Tegba OthelloHunter was born May 28, 1986 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

"We saw Thomas play last year and monitored him with the Bulls and overseas," said Hawks' Assistant GM/Director of Player Personnel DavidPendergraft. "He was one of the first guys we invited to our summer program, and he really performed well. He's a shot maker who can add a spark offour bench."

"We really liked the progression Othello has made, from Ohio State to Portsmouth to Orlando, and continuing in our mini-camp and summer league,"Pendergraft said. "His competitiveness, athleticism and professionalism have impressed us, and if he continues to advance, he has a chance to be an assetto our organization."

Via PressRelease

Atlanta Hawks

[h2]OKC Acquires Kyle Weaver[/h2]
Aug 11, 2008 7:51 PM EST

okc_40.gif
The Oklahoma City NBA franchiseacquired guard Kyle Weaver in a trade with the Charlotte Bobcats, it was announced today by the team's General Manager Sam Presti. Weaver was selected 38thoverall in the 2008 NBA Draft by the Bobcats. In exchange for Weaver, Oklahoma City sent New Jersey's 2009 2nd round pick to Charlotte. Oklahoma City heldNew Jersey's second round pick following a July 2006 trade which sent Mikki Moore to the Nets. "We're pleased to add Kyle Weaver to ourorganization," Presti said. "He is a young player with a defensive mentality and team-first approach to the game. We are excited to add thesequalities to our team in Oklahoma City."

Via PressRelease

Oklahoma City, New JerseyNets

[h2]Detroit Re-Signs Herrmann[/h2]
Aug 11, 2008 7:01 PM EST

det_40.gif
The Detroit Pistons re-signed forwardWalter Herrmann on Monday.

"He is a player with tremendous work ethic and showed last year that he is a player that can contribute," Pistons President of BasketballOperations Joe Dumars said in a statement.

ViaESPN

Detroit Pistons

[h2]Hawks' Smith Glad Contract Is Done[/h2]
Aug 11, 2008 4:26 PM EST

atl_40.gif
Atlanta forward Josh Smith isthrilled that he has signed a new contract with the Hawks and is ready to focus on other things, according to HoopsHype.

"It's more relief and happiness. I'm just glad it's over," Smith of Jorge Sierra of HoopsHype. "Now I can move on, look forward,and focus on being a better player and teammate."

The Hawks matched a $58 million offer sheet that Smith signed with the Grizzles, keeping him in Atlanta.

"I was actually real anxious. I wanted to get it over with. But I understand it takes time because, you know, that's negotiations," he said."I was anxious more than any other thing."

Even though Smith expected the Hawks to match the offer sheet, he was aware that he could have moved to Memphis.

"Anything is possible," Smith added. "I signed it, right? I know they was saying they were going to match, but you never know what couldhappen. So I was very realistic about the situation."

ViaHoopsHype

Atlanta Hawks

[h2]Bryant: I'd Go To Italy For $50M[/h2]
Aug 11, 2008 4:17 PM EST

lal_40.gif
Lakers' guard Kobe Bryant claimsthat he would consider playing in Italy for $50 million a year when he becomes a free agent next season, according to The Orange County Register.

"I'd go. I'd probably go," Bryant said when asked by a reporter if he would think about playing in Europe for an outrageous contract."Like Milan or something like that, where I grew up."

Bryant's claim seems a little more substantial than that of LeBron James, who also claims he'd play overseas for $50 million a year, if only becauseof Bryant's history in Europe.

He spent a majority of his childhood in Italy while his father Joe was playing professional ball overseas.

Via TheOrange County Register

Los Angeles Lakers

[h2]Presti: NBA Isn't Worried About EuropeYet[/h2]
Aug 11, 2008 4:11 PM EST

okc_40.gif
Oklahoma City General Manager SamPresti doesn't believe that the NBA should be worried about the trend of players jumping overseas just yet, according to The Oklahoman.

"Every situation is different and until you learn more about what each player's objectives are it's hard to make a determination," Prestisaid in an interview with the paper.

"I think the NBA is obviously a very strong league. It's got tremendous players in it," Presti added. "I'm sure that the folks in theleague are aware of it. But I think it still remains that the best basketball in the world is being played in our arenas every night."

Josh Childress seemed to start a trend last month when he signed a $30 million deal for three years to play for the Olympiakos of Greece. Since news of thesigning hit on July 23, several players have bolted to Europe.

Via TheOklahoman

Oklahoma City

[h2]Cavs Owners Rips Media On LeBronDeparture Stories[/h2]
Aug 11, 2008 1:54 PM EST

cle_40.gif
Dan Gilbert, owner of the Cavaliers,was critical of the media for the way they have portrayed the possibility of LeBron James leaving the Cavaliers via free agency.

"The reason this thing is where it's at," Gilbert said, "is that we've got a bunch of bored, East Coast sports writers who havenothing to do because the offseason is a few months away, and the Olympics [hadn't] started yet."

"The undertone to the whole thing that I wonder is, why him?" Gilbert said. "Why not Dwyane Wade? Why not Chris Bosh? Why not whoever else iscoming due?"

"The only thing you can come up with is there are certain writers, or people who live on the East or West Coast, who think that Cleveland, Ohio, is nota good enough place for a superstar of LeBron's caliber to spend his career."

"Despite the quality of the franchise, the quality of life in the Midwest, the fans - it's a complete slap in the face from people who do not livein Cleveland, Ohio, to Cleveland, Ohio."

"That's probably my biggest problem with the whole thing."

"If he were playing for the Lakers or the Knicks or the Nets or Miami, what they consider glamour teams, I don't think there would be any of thistalk. And the proof of it is there because there's not talk of any of these other stars."

ViaBeacon-Journal

Cleveland Cavaliers

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

Originally Posted by air max 87

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

[h2]Kings' Thompson Prepared To Silence Critics[/h2]
Aug 10, 2008 5:10 PM EST

sac_40.gif
Kings' rookie Jason Thompson believes that he would have been a much-higher pick in June's NBA Draft if he had gone to a more high-profile college, according to The Sacramento Bee.

"One of the only reasons I might have been projected (in the June draft) where I was projected was because of the school I went to," Thompson said last month in Las Vegas.

"It had nothing to do with talent," he continued. "If I would've gone to North Carolina, or an (Atlantic-10 Conference) school, or to Temple, or a place where the conference was higher up, and averaged what I averaged (statistically) or something close to it..."

Sacramento took Thompson with the 12th overall pick less than two months ago.

"I mean, you've got a guy like (Atlanta's) Marvin Williams, who comes out of North Carolina and wins the championship, coming off the bench and maybe averaging eight points," Thompson continued, the exasperation building. "And he's a No. 2 pick (in 2005). I mean that's what's crazy to me."

This dude sounds like a straight hater, Marvin averaged 15 points last season, and 12 for his career so far.
laugh.gif
He's talkin bout when williams was at NC, he was comin off the bench

Oh, okay, but still sounds haterish

I'm really pulling for Thompson

He's entering the league with a big chip on his shoulder

I hope he proves all his doubters wrong

[font=Times New Roman, serif][font=Times New Roman, serif]Wagner waits for call from the NBA[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, serif]
By CELESTE E. WHITTAKER
Courier-Post Staff
[/font]
[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]The huge purple and gold banner on the gymnasium wall says it all: "Welcome to Camden High School, Home of New Jersey's Dajuan Wagner, 3,462 points, all-time scoring leader."[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]This is the gym where Wagner became a basketball legend. It's the place where he feels most at home. The place where he can let it all hang out.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]It's his source of refuge when he's sad, angry, disappointed; playing basketball at Camden High's Clarence Turner Gymnasium is what feels right.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]It's the gym where hope was born and where hope continues to live for Wagner, who still is fighting to get back to the NBA. After years of injury and illness, playing in the league is still his dream.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]He made it all the way back in 2006-07, when he signed a two-year deal with the Golden State Warriors, but the team bought out his contract after he'd appeared in just one game.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"There's nothing I can do about it, I just hope I can stay healthy and whatever happens, happens," said Wagner, a 6-foot-2 guard who hasn't been playing in any leagues this summer.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"I've been working real hard and trying to get right. I'm just going to keep working out, go from there and let (agent) Leon (Rose) do his job -- he knows what's best for me. It doesn't matter where I go. I just want to play."[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]On a recent Wednesday night in an open-gym setting, Wagner, 25, was in his glory in Camden. He played with and against former teammates such as Arthur Barclay and James Pulliam, who also were on Camden's 2000 Group 3 state title team, as well as former Bishop Eustace standout Juan Rozier and former Niagara University star Charron Fisher.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Wagner's five-man team, which included Barclay, won 10 straight games. Games were won by the first team to score eight points, and baskets counted as one point.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Wagner, who was yakking it up with the best of them, put on a show in front of a handful of people. He was shaking and baking, crossing over, dropping back and hitting 3-pointers while almost falling out of bounds.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"I've been coming out, and I've played maybe twice a week," said Camden athletic director Al Dyer, who sat and watched Wagner put on his show. "He's ready to go back (to the NBA) in my opinion. I think he looks real good. Now, of course, he's not playing with NBA guys, but he looks good. I've seen him go three straight games and not miss a shot."[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Drafted No. 6 overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2002 after one college season at Memphis and a high school career in which he scored 100 points in one game, Wagner entered the NBA with much promise.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]But, he played in just 102 games over three seasons with Cleveland because of knee injuries and severe colitis. He averaged 9.4 points on 37 percent shooting, 1.9 assists and 1.4 rebounds.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]The colitis forced him to have his colon removed in October 2005. Although doctors at Mount Sinai (N.Y.) Medical Center essentially built him a new colon, Wagner said last summer was the first time he really began to feel like himself.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]He signed with Polish League champions, Prokom Trefl Sopot, in August 2007 and was there for several months with Barclay, but a badly sprained ankle sidetracked him. He played in about 16 games -- six in the Polish League, where he averaged 8.3 points and 2.5 rebounds, and the rest in the Euroleague.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"It was a good experience," said Wagner. "We were in the best league, the Euroleague. But the first Euroleague game, I twisted my ankle. I came home at Christmas. They told me I'd be out a month to get my ankle right. I just chose to get it right and not play on it.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"This is the best I've felt since I got my surgery," said Wagner, who spent a month in Chicago working out with Michael Jordan's trainer, Tim Grover, and plans to return soon. "Out there, it's just training, pickup games, working out and getting stronger. You just eat and drink basketball."[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]The results of the work he'd done in Chicago were apparent during the Wednesday night's session at Camden High.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Guarded by Fisher, the 6-foot-2, 195-pound Wagner faked one way, then drove hard to his right and laid the ball softly off the glass. Fisher isn't exactly chopped liver. He finished second in the nation in scoring last season, putting up 27.6 points per night for Niagara.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]The 6-foot-4 Fisher drew some interest from NBA teams but went undrafted and is close to reaching an agreement to play in Europe.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"I grew up watching 'Juan play," said Fisher, who was born in Camden, lives in Pennsauken and starred in basketball and football at Roman Catholic High in Philadelphia.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"He looks real good. Me and him match up against each other every time we play. It's fun and a good challenge for me. He looks like he's back to the Juanny from high school.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"He should be in the league, easily. He's just working his way back in slowly and getting himself ready. We'll both eventually be there (in the NBA), hopefully."[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Barclay also has been impressed by Wagner's play this summer. He just hopes his friend can finally stay healthy.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"He looks great," Barclay said. "As long as that stomach is fine, he'll have a real good shot at getting back. He knows it's not his fault. It's healthwise. But, he's only 25. That's young. Guys play up until about 38 in the NBA. He's physically fit, mentally fit."[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Rose says he's in "constant communication" with various NBA teams about how Wagner's doing.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]"Right now, the focus is on him getting himself to where he wants to be (physically)," Rose said. "As we get closer to training camp, he'll look at all his options."[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, serif]Wags...........
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
....The loyalty of my avy has finally paid off......
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
[/font]

I swear i'm gonna be hearing about comebacks from Wagner and Allan Houston for the rest of my life. Always like Wags so I hope he does well. surprised heaint playing in Nike Pro City in NYC or one of the DC leagues this summer. He was killing them out there last time.

Originally Posted by blaxoid

Originally Posted by allen3xis

"I mean, you've got a guy like (Atlanta's) Marvin Williams, who comes out of North Carolina and wins the championship, coming off the bench and maybe averaging eight points," Thompson continued, the exasperation building. "And he's a No. 2 pick (in 2005). I mean that's what's crazy to me."

QFT
I swear me and my boy were like the only two who NEVER understood that. I mean we didnt even see the "potential" in him to be a top 5 pickthat year. "I was starting for St. Johns and my man came off the bench and he was like, thats like me getting a scholarship before you."
roll.gif

I dont think he's hatin, more so speaking the truth, but it could come off as that to some people. Nonetheless I know Marvin's agent so I wish himthe best of luck he seems like a good dude.

Take it for what it's woth:

Per radio station KLAC 570AM says the the Lakers are interested in signing Alzono Mourning & Jannero Pargo. It is believed that Mourning would want theteams bi-level exception of approximately 1.8 million dollars a year, while Pargo would require half of the teams MLE, which would be around 3 million dollarsa year.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

You're right, I'm taking that into consideration. I don't know about Bibby starting in Memphis when we have three young PG prospects right now. The situation we are in now (which is rebuilding) would allow those players to start over Bibby.

Overall, I agree that the Hawks are a playoff team with Josh Smith, but its kinda rebundant because Memphis could end up with the same or better record than ATL if they had Smith. They might end up with the same record as them without Smith (being around 35 games). All because the Hawks would make the playoffs wouldn't make them better, just a playoff team. I know what you're saying, but I hope you wouldn't be looking at the records rather than overall talent level and competitiveness of each conference if Smith was on either team.

Sorry but all I read in this response was rebundant. Really?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=mil
[h3]Bucks considering three-way deal[/h3]League sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher the Bucks are weighing a three-way deal that would send Mo Williams to Cleveland, Joe Smith to Oklahoma City and Luke Ridnour to Milwaukee.

[h3]Will Suns Sign Pargo?[/h3]
Jannero Pargo | Hornets
If Goran Dragic stays in Europe, Phoenix might make a play for free agent Jannero Pargo.
He won't return to the Hornets and is reportedly mulling a $2 million-a-year offer from San Antonio.

Pargo's agent, Mark Bartelstein, refused to disclose whether the Suns are in the running, but Pargo is known to be a favorite of Phoenix general manager Steve Kerr. -- East Valley Tribune

If i were Bucks i would not do that deal. Puke Ridnour sucks. They got 3 great players in Mo, Redd, and Jefferson why not try that out for atleast some of theseason before trading away good players for trash.

[h1]Sources: Iguodala agrees to six-year, $80 million deal with Sixers[/h1]
By Henry Abbott
ESPN.com
(
Archive)

Updated: August 12, 2008, 7:50 PM ET

The Philadelphia 76ers and restricted free agent Andre Iguodala have agreed to a six-year, $80 million contract, league sources tell ESPN.com.

The athletic and exciting 6-6 forward/guard has improved his scoring average in each of his first four seasons, and promises to be a mainstay on a Sixers team that recently signed former Clippers big man Elton Brand to an estimated $82 million free-agent contract.

3826.jpg

Iguodala

Point guard Andre Miller, center Samuel Dalembert, and promising bench players like Thaddeus Young and Louis Williams make the Sixers an emergent force in the East. The young team managed to extend the Detroit Pistons to six games in the opening round of this year's playoffs -- and that was even before it added one of the NBA's best post scorers in Brand. Now the Sixers will be a popular pick to join the league's elite for many years to come.

If the Sixers had not been able to sign Iguodala, the 24-year-old could have played this season for them after signing a qualifying offer, which would have made him an unrestricted free agent next summer. In that scenario, the Sixers could have lost their most exciting young star without any compensation.

Iguodala and the team had an opportunity to work out a contract extension last summer but could not come to an agreement. Talks this offseason moved slowly until the last 24 hours, when, sources say, the team significantly increased its offer.

Although the basic terms of the deal have been agreed to, the new contract has yet to be finalized and signed.

76ers president and general manager Ed Stefanski took over a franchise on the wane last December, replacing the fired Billy King. The franchise had been the talk of the NBA as recently as 2001, when Allen Iverson and Larry Brown took the organization on a thrill ride to the NBA Finals, where the Sixers briefly held a lead in the series against the Los Angeles Lakers.

However, upon Stefanski's arrival, Iverson had long since been traded to Denver, and the remaining pieces in Philadelphia were unproven. Stefanski encouraged coach Maurice Cheeks to play some of the young bench players King had drafted, in part to help Stefanski assess their value as he made long-term plans. To many people's surprise, the young players played impressively and the team began to win, managing to atone for a 5-12 start with a 40-42 record and the seventh seed in the East.

Against the Pistons in the first round, the team recaptured some of the optimism that had been missing for the past several years. Iguodala did not distinguish himself in the series, shooting just 33 percent from the field while averaging more than four turnovers per game behind the defensive pressure of Detroit's Tayshaun Prince. Nevertheless, his negotiating power with the team had increased thanks to the team's strong finish in the regular season, and then the signing of Brand.

The long-term commitment to Brand put pressure on the organization to win sooner rather than later -- or risk wasting a massive investment -- and coming to terms with Iguodala became almost an essential part of the Sixers' message to sponsors, season-ticket holders and fans that the team was rejuvenated.

Iguodala had started the summer as one of many promising NBA free agents, but had seen nearly all of the big names, including Josh Smith, Emeka Okafor, Luol Deng, Andris Biedrins, Baron Davis, Brand and Josh Childress, agree to lucrative deals.

Sources with knowledge of the negotiations say that over the past 24 hours, the Sixers became convinced that their previous highest offer, believed to be slightly less than $70 million, would result in Iguodala signing a qualifying offer and playing one season in Philadelphia before testing the open market next summer.

In short order, the team emerged with a much higher offer, to which Iguodala quickly agreed.

Many of the details of the contract are still to be worked out, sources say, including incentive clauses that could increase the value of the deal beyond a base compensation of $80 million.

Henry Abbott writes the TrueHoop blog for ESPN.com.

Bucks guard Mo Williams could be headed to Cleveland as part of a three-team trade, with the Bucks targeting point guard Luke Ridnour of the Oklahoma City franchise, formerly the Seattle SuperSonics. NBA sources confirmed there have been discussions involving the three teams. Cleveland is searching for backcourt help to complement LeBron James, and Williams could fit the bill. But the point guard carries a hefty price tag with five years and $43 million remaining on the $51 million contract Williams signed with the Bucks prior to last season, when he was an unrestricted free agent. Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

The Cavaliers have been unable to come to a contract agreement with point guard Delonte West, who is a restricted free agent this summer, and he could be part of the deal in a sign-and-trade, according to reports. Or Oklahoma City could receive former Bucks forward Joe Smith, who has an expiring contract and will be paid $4.8 million next season. Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

The Bucks are interested in Luke Ridnour, according to league sources. The 6-foot-2 guard from Oregon has played five seasons for the SuperSonics since being selected 14th overall in the 2003 draft. Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

A league source has confirmed that the 76ers and their restricted free agent Andre Iguodala are very close to reaching an agreement that could be worth about $80 million over six years, according to a report on ESPN.com. Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski had no comment. It has been a busy summer for the Sixers and Stefanski, who previously signed three free agents and one restricted free agent in a little over a month. Philadelphia Inquirer

Making Iguodala a "priority" translated into what should be a contract worth nearly as much, albeit for a season less, as the blockbuster deal two-time all-star power forward Elton Brand signed with the team in early July for approximately $82 million over five years. This deal will make Iguodala the 12th Sixer under contract for the season. Philadelphia Inquirer

Some even speculated that Iguodala would play this season for the Sixers' $3.8 million qualifying offer and roll the dice that he could perform well enough to up his stock for next summer's free-agent market, when he would be an unrestricted free agent. Philadelphia Inquirer

It seems the 76ers might make one more move before the opening of training camp. After backup center Jason Smith tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee recently, Stefanski said the 76ers would "continue to explore all available options in order to add an additional big man to our roster." Philadelphia Inquirer

There has been speculation that Pelinka initially asked for a maximum contract. The Sixers can offer a maximum of 6 years with a maximum raise of 10.5 percent from the first-year salary. Philadelphia Daily News

The 2008 NBA Western Conference champion Los Angeles Lakers will be Barcelona's first opponent on Oct. 18, followed by the either Los Angeles Clippers or Toronto Raptors on Oct. 19. For Barcelona, founded in 1926, the games in Los Angeles will be their first played in the United States. Orlando Sentinel
Greg Oden's power and explosiveness have certainly returned, and he made the comment after the workout that his right knee is now stronger than his left. Even though he's still about 10 pounds over where he wants to be to start the season, that's not a concern. According to the trainers, who have talked with Ohio State's trainers, Greg drops pounds quickly when he begins regular, full-court play. MikeBarrettsBlog

They've got a timeline and Oden is right on track. He said afterwards, that in another few weeks he'll be cleared for full-court, five-on-five battles, and is looking forward to that. Brandon Roy is expected to be in later this week, and is expected to begin working immediately with Oden. MikeBarrettsBlog

One of the first things I noticed about the practice was how often Oden had his hands on his knees. Now, we only witnessed the final 20 minutes of the show and that's after an hour before we were allowed in. As you can imagine, the big man was a little gassed. He's also not in NBA shape yet, admittedly so. But the force and power in which he was jumping and attempting to tear the rim from the backboard had most all in attendance in awe. Oregonian

Oden is such an athlete he makes most of the things he does look semi-effortless. His dunks, while rim rattling and forceful, come so easy and natural to him it almost looks like he's bored. But when he misses a shot, and he missed a handful of five to 10 footers today, he gets upset with himself. And when he does throw down with that emotion, he means it (as you saw in the last dunk). Oregonian

Rockets point guard Rafer Alston is scheduled to appear in court Thursday after being arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated last week. Alston, 32, was arrested Thursday after a Houston police officer noticed a car make an erratic lane change in the 3000 block of Washington about 2:55 a.m. Alston also was traveling without his headlights on, police spokesman Victor Senties said. Houston Chronicle

[h2]GM On Iguodala: 'No DealYet'[/h2]
Iguodala_Andre_phi_080423.jpg

Aug 13, 2008 4:22 AM EST

phi_40.gif
According toPhil Jasner of the Philadelphia Daily News, reports that forward Andre Iguodala has signed a 6 year, $80 million extension are premature.

Jasner received an email response from Sixers GM Ed Stefanski saying that there was "nothing to report from ourside."

Later, in Los Angeles on vacation, he was interviewed by Tom McCarthy, of the Phillies' broadcast team, during the Phils-Dodgersgame.

When asked about Iguodala, he said, "Right now we're still negotiating. I hope it comes to fruition, but there's no dealyet.''

Comcast SportsNet is saying that while a deal has been agreed to in principle, it has not yet been finalized and would not be so as oflast night.

According to the Daily News, there has been speculation that agent Rob Pelinka initially asked for a maximum contract, and the twosides have been negotiating from there.

Via Philadelphia Daily News

Philadelphia 76ers

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback BuyTickets

[h2]Bucks, OKC And CavsTalking Three-Way Deal?[/h2]
Aug 13, 2008 9:52 AM EST

mil_40.gif
Mo Williamscould be headed to Cleveland of part of a three-way deal with the Bucks receiving Luke Ridnour from Oklahoma City, according to The MilwaukeeJournal-Sentinel.

NBA sources have confirmed that there have been discussions between the three teams.

Delonte West is rumored to be part of the deal as well, in a sign-and-trade, because the Cavaliers haven't been able to come toterms with him on a new deal.

If West isn't included in the deal, Oklahoma City could receive forward Joe Smith, who has an expiring contract.

Via The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Milwaukee Bucks, Oklahoma City, Cleveland Cavaliers

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

[h2]Gist Signs With ItalianClub[/h2]
Aug 13, 2008 11:26 AM EST

san_40.gif
James Gist, the57th selection in the 2008 draft, signed a contract Monday to play for Angelico Biella, according to the Italian League team's Web site.

Gist, 6-foot-9 and 235 pounds, played well for the Spurs' summer league team in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City. However, he likelywould have spent most of the season with the Spurs' D-League team in Austin had he signed an NBA contract. By playing in Italy, Gist can get significantplaying time without costing the Spurs a roster spot.

Via Express-News

San Antonio Spurs

Jamison Received Interest From Other Teams

Aug 13, 2008 10:05 AM EST

was_40.gif
Wizards forwardAntawn Jamison claims that other teams were interested in him this offseason, according to HoopsHype.com.

"I think that from the beginning everyone pretty much knew that I wanted to go back," Jamison said of re-signing withWashington. "There was interest from other teams, yes, but there was no offer on the table."

Jamison also hinted that he and Gilbert Arenas wanted to return to the Wizards from Day One.

"You know, when I re-signed I talked with Gilbert and he congratulated me," Jamison said. "But there was no need to saysomething like 'C'mon man, you've got stay'... We have been playing together for a long time and we feel we are in the rightdirection."

Via HoopsHype

Washington Wizards

[h2]Boeheim Rips Nuggets ForTrading Camby[/h2]
Aug 13, 2008 9:58 AM EST

den_40.gif
Syracuse coachJim Boeheim has ripped the Nuggets for trading center Marcus Camby to the Clippers this offseason, according to The Rocky Mountain News.

"Without Camby, I don't see any way that they can possibly win because he was a key guy for them," Boeheim said."Believe me, I watched at least 70 games they played, maybe more. And he was a key guy."

Carmelo Anthony, who played for Boeheim for a year and left after winning the national title, has played for the Nuggets all of hiscareer.

"I don't know how you can let Marcus Camby go," Boeheim added. "He was like the heart and soul of that team, whenit comes to defense, protecting the basket and rebounding. It's tough to replace him."

Via The Rocky Mountain News

Denver Nuggets

[h2]Dickau Signs In Italy[/h2]
Aug 13, 2008 4:11 AM EST

lac_40.gif
Clippers guardDan Dickau has agreed to join the Euroleague team Avellino, according to a Yahoo.com report on Tuesday.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Dickau becomes the ninth NBA player, who held a job in the league last season, to defect to a foreign club.

Via yahoo.com

Los Angeles Clippers

Read the Full Story Discuss SendFeedback BuyTickets

[h2]Oden LooksGood After Public Practice With Blazers[/h2]
Aug 12, 2008 11:12 PM EST

por_40.gif
Greg Odenlooked impressive in his first public workouts since knee surgery wiped out his entire rookie season, according to a report by the Associated Press.

Oden participated in a 2-on-2 scrimmage featuring teammates Channing Frye and Steve Blake, as well as former Arkansas 7-footer StevenHill. He is not allowed to participate in 5-on-5 scrimmages until next month.

"I'm feeling good," Oden said. "I do not have any pain or soreness in my knee."

Asked whether he noticed Oden favoring his right knee, Frye dismissed it entirely.

"He favors dunking on your head, that's what he favors," Frye said after giving up his share to Oden in theworkout.

Via ESPN

Portland Trail Blazers

Read the Full Story Discuss Send FeedbackBuy Tickets

[h2]Rockets Guard RaferAlston Charged With DWI[/h2]
Aug 12, 2008 11:08 PM EST

hou_40.gif
Rockets guardRafer Alston was arrested about 2:30 a.m. last Thursday on a misdemeanor drunken driving charge and released on a $500 bond, according to a report by theHouston Chronicle.

Alston is due in court Thursday.

Via Houston Chronicle

Houston Rockets

[h2]Spain's PromotionalPhoto Offends China[/h2]
Aug 12, 2008 7:19 PM EST

nba_40.gif
Spain'sOlympic basketball team posed for an advertisement prior to the start of the Games which appears to show all its players slanting their eyes, a move that couldoffend its Olympic hosts in Beijing.

The ads, for a Spanish courier company, appeared in the Spanish-language newspaper La Marca.

Via Yahoo!

General Basketball

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback

[h2]Could Utah TradeKirilenko?[/h2]
Aug 12, 2008 5:07 PM EST

uta_40.gif
A recurringrumor involving the Jazz trading versatile forward Andrei Kirilenko has been popping up in Utah once again, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.

Kirilenko has three years and almost $50 million remaining on his contract with the Jazz, which makes him somewhat difficult totrade.

With Carlos Boozer possessing the ability to opt out of his contract next summer, possibly to sign a long-term deal with the Jazz, theteam could look to trim some salary to order to prepare a lucrative offer for the former Duke big man.

Trading Kirilenko, could help them accomplish that

Via The Salt Lake Tribune

Utah Jazz

[h2]Could Utah Trade Kirilenko?[/h2]
Aug 12, 2008 5:07 PM EST

uta_40.gif
A recurring rumor involving the Jazz trading versatile forward Andrei Kirilenko has been popping up in Utah once again, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.

Kirilenko has three years and almost $50 million remaining on his contract with the Jazz, which makes him somewhat difficult to trade.

With Carlos Boozer possessing the ability to opt out of his contract next summer, possibly to sign a long-term deal with the Jazz, the team could look to trim some salary to order to prepare a lucrative offer for the former Duke big man.

Trading Kirilenko, could help them accomplish that

Via The Salt Lake Tribune

Yeah, there's no way.
laugh.gif

i just read the cleveland-oklahoma city-milwaukee trade has been completed.

cleveland gets mo williams.
milwaukee gets luke ridnour, damon jones and adrian griffin.
oklahoma city gets joe smith and desmond mason.

smh.gif
If Kobe really leaves the NBA. If he does, then there IS no NBA.
laugh.gif

But then again Kobe always starts controversy.

I love reading all the Portland folk.
roll.gif

They so desperate for good news, they'll say anything to make it look like Greg will be fine and they will matter some day. Just wait for the bad news tocome, wait for it.......
laugh.gif

milwaukee might be respectable if they get a pass first pg to team with redd and jefferson. though they still need to learn how to use bogut cause he is sounderutilized when redd and mo williams was in there.

laugh.gif
Damon Jones was just on Sportscenter a couple of hours ago talking about whether or not he thought Lebron would actually go overseas

Back
Top Bottom