Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

I don't think we (hornets) have the cap space and we don't sell enough tickets to go too far over the luxury tax...magette would be great tho

Originally Posted by thaSOLEful1

where can i find updates on whose chasing who?
There will be LOTS of news and rumors about where all of these players in the coming days.

heres how i look at maggette wanting out through a sign and trade...

Maggette would fit perfect wtih a fast pace team either the suns or the hornets.. i hope the Maggette for Peja trade works out..good for both teams

The clippers get a 3 point threat, and the hornets getta slasher and a person that is 3rd in teh nba in free throws.. not only sum1 else to throw a alley ooptoo

Heres the clips if everything went my way

Davis
Gordon
Peja
Brand
Kaman

and heres the hornets

CP3
Mo Pete
Maggettee
West
Chandler

Tell me what you think

Originally Posted by flipsydedragon

heres how i look at maggette wanting out through a sign and trade...

Maggette would fit perfect wtih a fast pace team either the suns or the hornets.. i hope the Maggette for Peja trade works out..good for both teams

The clippers get a 3 point threat, and the hornets getta slasher and a person that is 3rd in teh nba in free throws.. not only sum1 else to throw a alley oop too

Davis
Gordon
Peja
Brand
Kaman

and heres the hornets

CP3
Mo Pete
Maggettee
West
Chandler

Tell me what you think

Sounds Good but i don't think it'd fall through. Peja is too great of a shooter to give up and he's done pretty good job in New Orleans.

Sounds Good but i don't think it'd fall through. Peja is too great of a shooter to give up and he's done pretty good job in New Orleans.

Only one year, he's been worthless other than his one year thus far in New Orleans.

News out of DC today is that the Warriors are pursuing Gilbert Arenas BIG TIME and are offering him max money

I wouldnt mind if we let Gilbert go. He is a great talent, but I dont think he is the missing piece. I think a low post scorer is what we really need. I lovedthe WAY the TEAM played when he went out. The only problem is avearge fans would rather see a superstar. But either way I think the wizards are in good shape.They still have Caron and Antawn. So if Gil goes, we have money to make other moves and stay competitive, if he stays we give it another year ( Healthy or Not,cuz if they cant stay healthy no sense in seeing what they COULD be) in which we should be competitive and then start trading some pieces away.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Only one year, he's been worthless other than his one year thus far in New Orleans.

he's only been in new orleans for two years
laugh.gif

Davis
Gordon
Peja
Brand
Kaman
Good luck with that.
laugh.gif

I don't think you guys realize how vital Peja is to this offense, whether he's shooting triples or not.

Maggette is like the guard version of David West. There would be no spacing; nobody respects Mo Pete enough for him to take over Peja's floor-stretchingresponsibilities.

James Posey, after deciding not to exercise the option on the final year of his contract yesterday, is a free agent with what may be one of the largest markets of the summer. The fact that there is a limited pool of teams with significant salary cap space (Philadelphia 76ers, Memphis Grizzlies) does not bode well for the biggest names (unrestricted free agent Gilbert Arenas, restricted free agents Luol Deng and Andre Iguodala) this summer, but Posey's lower-level aims are likely to draw a bigger crowd. Boston Herald

The Celtics forward reportedly is looking for a midlevel deal that starts at approximately $5.8 million and carries over 4-5 years. The C's split their midlevel exception last season between Posey and guard Eddie House. The NBA champions may be reluctant to spend the full amount on one player this time, especially if the exception extends into a long-term deal. Boston Herald

A league source said yesterday the valuable swingman's dance card will be top-heavy with contenders that appreciate more than ever the intangible ways Posey can contribute to a championship team. Posey now lists two NBA titles on his resume, after helping the Celtics to a championship last month and the Miami Heat to the 2006 crown. Boston Herald

Posey, now looking for a long-term deal and what will be the best contract of his career, could be hurt by teams waiting for 2010 or even next summer, which also is expected to feature a better free agent crop than this offseason. Boston Herald

Celtics management is under the impression P.J. Brown is leaning toward a return to retirement, though an attempt will be made to discuss the issue with him. Boston Herald

The Wizards achieved a major free-agency goal Monday when two-time All-Star forward Jamison signed a four-year, $50 million contract. The deal also serves as an expensive piece of bait to lure Arenas, who had said he would not return unless the team also kept his friend. Houston Chronicle

The Knicks are expected to offer Chris Duhon a two-year deal worth roughly half of the mid-level exception, totaling around $6 million, according to NBA sources. A playmaker who has struggled with his shooting going all the way back to his days at Duke, Duhon averaged 5.8 points on 39% last season for the Bulls. NY Daily News

The Knicks are interested in Sacramento's Beno Udrih, but he wants a five-year deal. The Knicks don't want to add anything to their cap beyond July 2010, when LeBron James and other marquee players can become free agents. NY Daily News

Addressing the possibility of leaving Cleveland in two summers when he's a free agent, and all the talk about the Knicks and Nets trying to get far enough under the salary cap to have enough money to offer him a King's ransom, LeBron James Monday did not totally rule it out. "They have a right to dream about it," he said of Knicks and Nets fans. "I can't take that away from them." So the dream will continue for the Nets, who already have positioned themselves for mega cap room in 2010, and the Knicks, who badly need to shed Eddy Curry or Zach Randolph in the next two seasons to have the financial wherewithal to land James. NY Daily News

LeBron James: "On draft day, I'm watching some of the younger guys coming into the league and they're saying, 'You know, teams are making trades (to sign) LeBron James in 2010,'" he said. "I just kind of laugh at that. I'm excited to be in Cleveland, and right now, I'm excited to be part of this Olympic team. It's kind of funny to me." NY Daily News

LeBron James had little interest in directly addressing his free-agent options in 2010, but he didn't blink when asked about it in a different way. "LeBron, what are your favorite cities?" "My favorite cities are New York; Washington, D.C.; Dallas, Texas; Los Angeles, Calif., and Akron, Ohio," he said. "What's your favorite borough?" "My favorite borough?" James said. "Brooklyn." NY Newsday

"Brooklyn is a great place here in New York City," James said. "Some of my best friends are from Brooklyn, so I definitely stick up for them." The friends, of course, include hip-hop artist Jay-Z, whose music has been on LeBron's iPod for years. "My friendship was way before Jay was a part-owner of the Nets, and I loved the Garden way before I got in the NBA," James said. "For some odd reason, whenever I get to the Garden, I always play well. So they want me to do it for 41 games instead of two games a year ... They have a right to dream." NY Newsday

The Timberwolves extended qualifying offers to restricted free agents Ryan Gomes, Craig Smith and Chris Richard on Monday and chose to let Sebastian Telfair and Kirk Snyder become unrestricted free agents. The moves were a formality with the start of the free-agent bidding beginning today. By qualifying the three players, the Wolves retained their right of matching any offer they receive from another team. AP/St. Paul Pioneer Press

The Wolves did not extend a qualifying offer to Telfair because they would have had to pay the point guard $3.5 million next season. The team still wants to sign Telfair, who is entering his fifth season and played well when Randy Foye missed most of the first half of the season with a knee injury. AP/St. Paul Pioneer Press

Next season is beginning to look like a transition year - and that was before Monday night, when Baron Davis opted out of his contract and became a free agent. Davis still could re-sign. He says he likes the area and loves his teammates. He also loves Hollywood and as far back as April was seeking potential buyers for his South of Market loft. The Warriors, however, already are planning for BD's eventual departure, as well as that of Nelson, who has one year left on his contract and one eye on his Maui hammock. Contra Costa Times

Even before word spread that Davis had elected to become an unrestricted free agent by opting out of the final year and $17.8 million of his contract, I figured that this was a relationship souring quickly and due to expire soon. Davis was never going to forgive the Warriors for declining to meet his mega-demands for an extension this summer. The Warriors probably were never going to see as much quality play from him than they did in the previous three seasons. San Jose Mercury News

There's a tiny chance that Davis has an under-the-table deal with a team below the salary cap or soon able to get under and that he will walk away from the Warriors for nothing. If that is at all true, the Los Angeles Clippers are the only realistic team for that scenario - Baron is an L.A. native and the Clippers have tons of salary flexibility. San Jose Mercury News

Elton Brand also opted-out Monday and, if they renounce free agent Corey Maggette, the Clips could re-sign Brand for a decent contract or trade him for lesser money, then have room to sign Davis outright to a long-term contract worth $60 million or more. That's a hard one to envision given the Clippers' thrifty ways, of course. But if Brand immediately agrees to a cut-rate deal (say, for $12 million a year instead of $18 million per), then watch out. San Jose Mercury News

Brand would forgo the $16.4 million on the last year of his deal, a final decision he apparently made at Monday's deadline to notify the team and the league. Monday was the deadline for players with an option to opt out of their contracts to notify their teams and the league. Brand's agent, David Falk, told ESPN.com the forward wants to see the Clippers sign a quality free agent and try to assemble a winning team in Los Angeles. Press-Enterprise

Andrew Bynum can get a contract extension this summer from the Lakers. When his agent was told that Bynum suggested he would be willing to take less than the maximum of five years, $80 million, David Lee said they would be seeking the maximum. "He was talking as a 20-year-old," Lee said in a telephone interview Monday. "He had not consulted with his representatives. I think the Lakers know how we feel about this." The Lakers extended qualifying offers to Vujacic and Turiaf on Monday, which allows the team to establish a right of first refusal. Press-Enterprise

If Vujacic, whose offer was for about $2.2 million, and Turiaf, whose offer was for about $963,000, sign an offer sheet with another team, the Lakers can match the offer and retain them. Both Vujacic and Turiaf are seeking long-term deals and hope their agents can come to an agreement with the Lakers. Press-Enterprise

Davis and Ramasar could be maneuvering to get the Warriors to up their bid by forcing them to face the possibility of losing him for nothing. Remember, the Warriors can still pay Davis the most, unless they renounce his rights, which is doubtful. San Jose Mercury News

The most likely scenario is the sign-and-trade: Davis and Ramasar find an interested, over-the-cap team, but only can do the deal with any over-the-cap team if the Warriors are involved. Now, the Warriors would have some aching needs if they lose Davis, not the least being point guard. They could ask Detroit about Chauncey Billups, inquire with Memphis about half of its roster, including Javaris Crittenton. San Jose Mercury News

At the very least, Davis can expect to get a three-year deal as a free agent, and given the precarious state of his knees, he would have needed a gambler's heart to stick with what he had. Remember, there was only a very limited pretense about Davis' profound desire to stay with Golden State. Everyone knew that the real inspiration for his and his agent's "love the one you're with" act was the NBA salary cap and all its tentacles. San Francisco Chronicle

As last season ended, Davis sounded frustrated that he had finally been healthy enough to play in all 82 games and that the Warriors hadn't acknowledged his newfound durability with a contract extension. When the playoffs and then the draft went by without an extension offer, the feelings had to fester. San Francisco Chronicle

Plus, there has to be a big part of him that yearns for L.A. The Clippers, even if they re-sign Brand, appear to be one of the few teams with the kind of salary-cap room to accommodate Davis. He could go back home, to the movie world that he seems so eager to enter full-time someday. He and former high school teammate Cash Warren have a production company, and Davis just backed a documentary about gangs in Los Angeles. San Francisco Chronicle

The bottom line remains the same, however: Only the Sixers and Grizzlies have real space under the salary cap, and neither are believed to be pursuing Davis. Most other teams could only offer Davis a deal starting at the mid-level exception, which is expected to be around $6 million next season. That represents a two-thirds pay cut from the nearly $18 million that Davis walked away from. San Francisco Chronicle

It's why the Warriors were willing to let their trade exception expire Monday. Though Mullin was working the phones into the night, he was also working against the luxury tax. Any salary the Warriors took on would have pushed them closer toward paying a dollar-for-dollar tax penalty - a no-no under the Chris Cohan regime. San Francisco Chronicle

As it stands without Davis, the Warriors will have about $31 million in committed salary once their draft picks sign. That leaves roughly $38 million to spend before entering luxury tax territory, which was $67.9 million last year and figures to be a little more than $70 million next season. San Francisco Chronicle

The Warriors are also preparing for life without Mickael Pietrus and Matt Barnes, as one or both could leave. In any case, the Warriors almost certainly will be younger than they were last season, when they were the third-youngest team in the NBA. Contra Costa Times

Meanwhile, Mullin insists he'll match any offers received by restricted free agents Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins, each 22 and considered fixtures for the future. Contra Costa Times

Re-signing Kurt Thomas became an even greater offseason priority for the Spurs when Tiago Splitter, last year's first-round draft choice, re-upped with his Spanish League club in early June. "Whether Splitter was coming or not, Kurt Thomas was a guy we wanted to re-sign," Popovich said. San Antonio Express-News

Finley is another 35-year-old the Spurs harbor interest in retaining. The veteran guard endured an inconsistent 2007-08 campaign, but the Spurs value his leadership and would be open to bringing him back. San Antonio Express-News

Horry, who made $3.6 million last season, would prefer to remain with the Spurs. He has suggested that he would be willing to take a pay cut - perhaps down to the veteran minimum of $1.26 million - to make it happen. San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs also could turn to the 2001 draft for help: They could opt to bring in 6-foot-11 Lithuanian forward Robertas Javtokas, their second-round pick seven years ago, although it would require buying out his contract in Russia. San Antonio Express-News

Denver guard J.R. Smith, who has piqued the Spurs' interest in the past, is one such player likely to be available. He is a restricted free agent, but it is unlikely the Nuggets - who already are well over the luxury tax threshold - will be tempted to match a competing offer for him. San Antonio Express-News

Besides moving out spare bodies such as Stromile Swift (so they hope), they can use a $3.3 million trade exception acquired in the Jason Kidd deal to acquire an existing contract; and another $3.7 million exception created by the Keith Van Horn side deal that expires in October. Newark Star-Ledger

The Rockets began the free-agent recruiting period with an 11 p.m. call to Spurs guard Brent Barry on Monday, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said, but the team might already have hit a snag in its plan to bring back forward Carl Landry. The Rockets telephoned Barry as soon as NBA rules allowed in an effort to land the free agent, who got away last season when he was released by the Seattle SuperSonics but chose to return to the San Antonio Spurs. Houston Chronicle

Washington Post has the following:

-Baron has a deal in place with the Clippers.
-The Warriors have offered a 5 year/$100 mil. deal to Gilbert.
eek.gif

-The Wizards responded with a max deal. 6 years/$124 million.
eek.gif
eek.gif

This is madness. (Sparta, etc.)

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/

As I first reported early this morning via the blog, the Wizards offered Arenas a maximum level contract, one that would pay the three-time all-star around $124 million over six years. According to my sources, the offer came shortly after the Golden State Warriors aggressively jumped out and offered Arenas a five-year deal worth just over $100.
The Warriors, who drafted Arenas in the second round in 2001 and lost him when the Wizards signed him to $65 million deal in 2003, had the cash available after Baron Davis surprisingly opted out of the final year of his contract.

Getting Arenas back would be a huge move for the Warriors because he remains a popular player in the Bay Area. When the Wizards play in Oakland each season, it's interesting that many Warriors fans can still be seen wearing Arenas jerseys (they still love Antawn Jamison as well).

The word on the street is that Davis, a Los Angeles native, has a deal in place with the Clippers where he would join forces with Elton Brand.

According to my sources, Arenas will likely remain a Wizard but the question is whether he will take less than the max in order to help the team remain under the luxury tax threshold (expected to be around $71 million) and help Ernie Grunfeld make more moves.

James Posey, after deciding not to exercise the option on the final year of his contract yesterday, is a free agent with what may be one of the largest markets of the summer.
I expect whoever Jeff Van Gundy coaches next season to pick him up regardless
laugh.gif

Jose Calderon: "Early this morning, through my agents, I reached a preliminary agreement with the Toronto Raptors. I want to thank Bryan Colangelo, Maurizio Gherardini, Sam Mitchell and all of the Raptors family for the confidence that they have placed in me. I am sure that together we are going to achieve big things in the future." JoseManuelCalderon.com

Gilbert Arenas is close to accepting a six-year offer from the Washington Wizards that could be worth as much as $127 million, according to a source close to both parties. Washington Times

Wizards team president Ernie Grunfeld early Tuesday morning offered Arenas a six-year deal for $127 million, one of two offers extended to Arenas just after the free agency period began. The Golden State Warriors also offered Gilbert Arenas a max deal, according to a source. The Warriors offered Arenas five years for $101 million. The Wizards, because Arenas was under contract with them, are permitted to offer six years while other teams can offer only five. Washington Times

As I first reported early this morning via the blog, the Wizards offered Arenas a maximum level contract, one that would pay the three-time all-star around $124 million over six years. According to my sources, the offer came shortly after the Golden State Warriors aggressively jumped out and offered Arenas a five-year deal worth just over $100. The Warriors, who drafted Arenas in the second round in 2001 and lost him when the Wizards signed him to $65 million deal in 2003, had the cash available after Baron Davis surprisingly opted out of the final year of his contract. Washington Post

The word on the street is that Baron Davis, a Los Angeles native, has a deal in place with the Clippers where he would join forces with Elton Brand. According to my sources, Arenas will likely remain a Wizard but the question is whether he will take less than the max in order to help the team remain under the luxury tax threshold (expected to be around $71 million) and help Ernie Grunfeld make more moves. Washington Post

A few sources are expecting Davis to end up in LA -- under the assumption that the Clippers renounce their rights to Maggette and offer Baron a five-year deal worth around $60 million. Some, in fact, believe there's an under-the-table agreement, though that was flat-out rejected by one Clippers' source, and contradicts the whereabouts of coach Mike Dunleavy, whom the LA Times is reporting met with free agent guard Beno Udrih in New York on Monday night. San Francisco Chronicle

Even more interesting? One league source insists that the Warriors turned around and let Gilbert Arenas know that they would be making a BIG play for him. As in possibly MAX big. This isn't confirmed, though the Washington Post is indicating the same thing. San Francisco Chronicle

For the NBA champion Celtics, free agency begins today with James Posey as the primary focus. Most other personnel matters will be handled after Posey's situation is settled. One move was made last night when the franchise failed to make Tony Allen a qualifying offer, thus making the guard an unrestricted free agent, according to his agent, Mike Higgins. The arrival of draft picks J.R. Giddens and Bill Walker definitely hurt Allen's chances to return to Boston. Boston Globe

Boston could have interest in outside free agents such as Dallas guard Tyronn Lue and New Orleans center Chris Andersen. But according to general manager Danny Ainge, the Celtics' immediate focus is on re-signing Posey. While negotiations can begin today, free agents can't sign until July 8. Boston Globe

As expected, Posey's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said his client officially became a free agent yesterday after not exercising the second year of his contract with Boston. He was due to make $3.2 million. Boston Globe

The Pistons and Lakers could be among the teams interested in Posey. Boston Globe

While Cassell has said he expects to return, a source close to the situation said Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas also have interest in his services. Boston Globe

Golden State forward/guard Mikael Pietrus, reportedly one of the free agents on the Magic's wish list, expected to receive a call from General Manager Otis Smith. Bill McCandless, Pietrus' agent, indicated he expected the Magic to be among other teams to make offers for Pietrus, an athletic 6-6 defender and 3-point shooter. Orlando Sentinel

So the Rockets extended Steve Novak's contract for another year. Well, that was easy. Do they take the summer off, now? Perhaps not. Houston Chronicle

Rockets: For now, they must have a good shot at Brent Barry, given how much they learned about his interest and plans when he was a free agent during the season after the Spurs traded him to the Sonics. They would not be going back for another shot at him if they did not have a good chance. And he is an excellent fit, able to play the two or three and even a bit of point long enough for Donte' Green to eventually supplant him. Houston Chronicle

Asking Landry for more tests does not necessarily mean there is something frighteningly wrong with Landry. If anything, the Rockets are behaving as if they believe the knee to be sound. They are hoping to use their lower level exception on Barry so that they can save as much of the mid-level exception as needed to match any offer Landry gets. Houston Chronicle

Knicks: So for now Donnie with shrug and talk with guards such as Chris Duhon and Beno Udrih about a short-term agreement with the mid-level. Duhon would be a fool to turn it down; who else is willing to give him an open shot at a starting point guard position? NY Newsday

Already hearing some very positive observations about Danilo Gallinari, who is working out at the MSG Training Center and hanging in New York. Just one thing: his nickname has never been, nor will it ever be, "the Italian Stallion," as has been suggested (more like beaten to death) by one media outlet. NY Newsday

The opening day of NBA free agency finds the first-year Sixers executive in a fascinating position. For the first time in too many years, the Sixers will go into the marketplace with some salary-cap space to play with. The roughly $11 million is burning a hole in the collective pocket of Sixers fans, who have been window-shopping for big names like Elton Brand and Corey Maggette and Josh Smith. Not only do the Sixers have the money, but they also won't have much competition in the market. Memphis is the only other team with enough cap room to be really aggressive in free agency. Trouble is, Stefanski may find the shelves stocked with somewhat less attractive players by the time he can quick-draw his checkbook from its holster. Case in point: Twenty-four hours ago, Washington forward Antawn Jamison was on the shopping list. Sixteen hours later, Jamison had a new contract with the Wizards. Philadelphia Inquirer

Peja has only been with NO for 2 years. His first year he was on IR and played in only 13 games averaging 18ppg. No way Hornets give up Peja after the seasonthey had.

yeah, we can offer gil 5 yrs/100 mil but no way he walks away from 6 yrs/127 mill in a weaker conference.

i'm so confused as to what Mullin is trying to do.

So the Warriors offer Gilbert 5 years, 101 million, and the Wizards come back with an offer at 6 years, 127 million?
sick.gif

Stupid, stupid decision for the Wizards...

Back
Top Bottom