Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

There's just something about shoot-first point guards that I wouldn't want on my team.

That's why at times there were talks if the Wizards were better without Gilbert. Regardless, he's a good shooter, he's a good passer, and hehas size. I wish the best to Gilbert, he's an amazing player, and entertainer.

[h1]Paul agrees on four-year, $68M deal to keep him in New Orleans[/h1]
Associated Press

Updated: July 3, 2008, 8:31 PM ET

NEW ORLEANS -- Chris Paul and the New Orleans Hornets reached a contract agreement Thursday that could keep the All-Star point guard with the team for at least the next four seasons.

3930.jpg

Paul
Lance Young, Paul's agent, said Paul agreed to a three-year extension with a player's option for a fourth year. The total value of the deal is $68 million.
Paul, who recently completed his third NBA season and has been selected to play for the United States in the Olympics, has one season remaining on his current contract. Under league rules, the first day the Hornets can formalize Paul's new contract is July 9.

Paul and Young met with Hornets general manager Jeff Bower at the team's training center in suburban New Orleans on Wednesday, but Young, who is based in the Washington, D.C., area with the sports management and marking company Octagon, flew home Thursday morning without the final details nailed down.

Young said he had a conference call with Bower in the afternoon and a final agreement was reached a few hours later.

The Hornets will pay Paul the maximum allowable under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, starting at 25 percent of the salary cap for the first year of the extension, with 10 percent raises thereafter.

Last season, Paul led the NBA with averages of 11.6 assists and 2.7 steals. He was the Hornets' second-leading scorer, averaging 21.1 points in helping the Hornets reach a franchise-record 56 regular season victories.

His performance landed him in his first All-Star game, which was hosted by New Orleans.

Paul's play on the court, combined with his charismatic presence at numerous community events, may have saved pro basketball in a city that was in danger of losing its professional teams after Hurricane Katrina struck in August 2005.

The New Orleans Arena routinely sold out during the second half of last season and the playoffs.

The Hornets also have sold more than 5,000 new season tickets for next season. The Hornets now have about 10,000 season-ticket holders, the most they've had since moving to New Orleans from Charlotte for the 2002-03 season.

With Paul's future in New Orleans secure, the Hornets expect to be busy in free agency, having traded their only draft choice last week to the Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for $3 million, which they intend to spend on a proven player.

The hope is that top available players will seize the chance to join Paul, a proven playmaker who has helped teammates David West and Tyson Chandler flourish while leading the Hornets to within one victory of reaching the Western Conference finals.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
Reports: Arenas agrees to six-year, $111M contract to help Wizards' future

WASHINGTON -- Gilbert Arenas isaccepting less money from the Washington Wizards, invokingan attitude far, far removed from the world of his working-class fans.

"What can I do for my family with $127 million that I can't do with $111 million?" he told The Washington Post.

The unpredictable three-time All-Star point guard, in vintage Agent Zero fashion, told the Post and the Washington Times on Thursday that he has agreed tore-sign for $111 million over six years, considerably less than the maximum deal he said the Wizards offered him when the free agency period began onTuesday.

Arenas negotiated the deal from China, where is traveling as part of promotional tour for a shoe company, and did so without an agent.

"I'm basically giving back $16 million," Arenas told the Washington Times. "This is in line with what I've been saying the wholetime. You see players take max deals and they financially bind their teams. I don't wanna be one of those players and three years down the road your teamis strapped and can't do anything about it."

Arenas became a free agent after opting out of the final year of his six-year, $65 million contract at the end of last season. He initially said he wasopting out to receive a max contract, but he later indicated he would be flexible in negotiations.

[h4]Expensive Arenas[/h4]
Since the NBA's current collective bargaining agreement was put in place in 1999, only five players have signed larger total contracts than Gilbert Arenas (six years, $111 million) agreed to on Thursday night. Here's a look:
[table] Largest Total Contracts
in NBA Since 1999 [tr][td]Player[/td] [td]Year Signed[/td] [td]Total[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Kobe Bryant[/td] [td]2004[/td] [td]$136.4M[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jermaine O'Neal[/td] [td]2003[/td] [td]$126.6M[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rashard Lewis[/td] [td]2007[/td] [td]$126M[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chris Webber[/td] [td]2001[/td] [td]$122.7M[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tim Duncan[/td] [td]2003[/td] [td]$122M[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Gilbert Arenas[/td] [td]2008[/td] [td]$111M*[/td] [/tr][tr][td]* Agreed to contract[/td] [/tr][/table]

Arenas also said that he would not re-sign unless the team retained two-time All-Star forward Antawn Jamison. The Wizards lived up to that part of the bargainMonday by giving Jamison a four-year, $50 million deal.

Arenas has proven to be one of the most dynamic players in the NBA when healthy, but a major knee and an overzealous rehabilitation sidelined him for mostof the last season. He had a first surgery on the knee in April 2007, tried to come back too soon and had a second operation in November. He missed 66 gamesbefore returning late in the season, but he had to shut himself down again during the first-round playoff series against Cleveland.

Arenas has vowed to be more cautious about his rehab this time, and the state of his knee didn't appear to devalue his worth in talks with theWizards.

The Wizards cannot comment on talks with Arenas or announce the deal until a league-mandated moratorium expires next week.

Arenas has averaged 22.8 points, 5.5 assists and 4.2 rebounds in his seven-season NBA career. He was known as much for his tantrums as for on-court playwhen he came to Washington from Golden State in 2003, but he began to display more maturity as he developed into a take-over-the-game player with a knack forhitting buzzer-beating shots. Although he still has his many quirks -- yelling "Hibachi!" after making a big shot is just one of many -- he hashelped the Wizards became a playoff regular.

Arenas' deal means the Wizards will have room to sign other players -- including free agent guard Roger Mason -- and still remain under the league's luxurytax.

"It's a relief," Arenas told the Washington Times. "It was a burden at the same time. Your whole city is depending on you, wondering ifyou're going to make the right decision. I'm a franchise player and sometimes franchise players need to make franchise decisions."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Some of yall Warriors fans be hyping up Wright too much. I dont see nothing too special that you would focus on him being part of the rebuilding/futureprocess. Now Monta is a different thing...But hes a SG!

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

I think you guys are over-rating the Diddy signing. It's definitely a great move cuz I think Diddy is a great pg. But the talk I hear about the Clips being playoff bound... I'm very skeptical. The West is TOUGH man.
Agree completely...

If you look at the Lakers, Jazz, Spurs, Rockets, and Hornets as solidly in the playoffs, the Diddy signing only puts the Clippers in the group of Dallas, Phoenix, Denver, and Portland fighting it out for those last two or three spots... That's only if they retain Brand, though...

I like the way the Clips' starting 5 would lay out, but there's still not enough depth on the bench for them to really make a lot of noise, IMO...
tell that to mjimaclipperfan
laugh.gif
he seems to think only saltywarrior fans think the clips arent a lock if they have both bum diddy and brand...

Originally Posted by MoneyStackz

Some of yall Warriors fans be hyping up Wright too much. I dont see nothing too special that you would focus on him being part of the rebuilding/future process. Now Monta is a different thing...But hes a SG!
laugh.gif
who the hell was hyping up Wright to be something that great?on any account, if you watched warrior games and he was on your team, you would know he showed a lot of promise as a rookie and did a lot of good things.he's still young and still has potential to grow/improve, and from what we've seen so far it's very encouraging. he didn't get much PT lastyear because nellie was coaching and he hates rookies more than Phil Jackson and that's saying a lot. he hasn't shown anything discouraging at all.

Originally Posted by acidicality

Some of yall Warriors fans be hyping up Wright too much. I dont see nothing too special that you would focus on him being part of the rebuilding/future process. Now Monta is a different thing...But hes a SG!
laugh.gif
who the hell was hyping up Wright to be something that great? on any account, if you watched warrior games and he was on your team, you would know he showed a lot of promise as a rookie and did a lot of good things. he's still young and still has potential to grow/improve, and from what we've seen so far it's very encouraging. he didn't get much PT last year because nellie was coaching and he hates rookies more than Phil Jackson and that's saying a lot. he hasn't shown anything discouraging at all.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

laugh.gif
who the hell was hyping up Wright to be something that great? on any account, if you watched warrior games and he was on your team, you would know he showed a lot of promise as a rookie and did a lot of good things. he's still young and still has potential to grow/improve, and from what we've seen so far it's very encouraging. he didn't get much PT last year because nellie was coaching and he hates rookies more than Phil Jackson and that's saying a lot. he hasn't shown anything discouraging at all.
what the hell?
are we supposed to think he's a bust or something? get the hell out of here.
laugh.gif
you're just trying to start %$$+ in here for no reason man.
no one's saying he's the next chris bosh or some random %$$+ like that, we're saying we feel good that he will become pretty good, but NOBODY herewas saying what some Laker fans do to hype up Bynum-saying they'd take him over Oden and Howard anyday. will he be good? that remains to be seen. but wejust feel he has a good chance.

the only way we would not be hyping up wright is saying dude sucks.
eyes.gif
ifthat's hyping Wright up, then there's a WHOLE lot worse on this forum. seriously, whatever us warrior fans say, we get hated on for it.

If u read anything yall type it would make it seen like if wright got more PT yall was a LOCK to be in the playoffs. that=hyping the hell out of someone. andone laker fan picked bynum over howard, for a GSW fan who hates when people group yall into one yall sure do it alot for laker fans
eyes.gif

If u read anything yall type it would make it seen like if wright got more PT yall was a LOCK to be in the playoffs. that=hyping the hell out of someone. and one laker fan picked bynum over howard, for a GSW fan who hates when people group yall into one yall sure do it alot for laker fans
eyes.gif
notice i said "some" and not all. yeah that was just one person, so maybe "one" would have been more appropriate-the point is, wedon't even say anything as bad as that and you act like warrior fans said stuff as bad as that.
whatever man, it's not even worth getting into it.
laugh.gif
it's likearguing with a brick wall.

The way the GSW fans saw Brandan Wright is a step in the right direction. Not a player who's going to come in and break down walls and come in and wreckhavoc on the L. The fact that they traded away Jason Richardson and got Wright in return left a lot of expectations from the FO and also from Wright. There wasmore hope from the Warriors that Nellie would give him more PT, not because they thought it would make them a legitimate contender, but to get them movingforward, and let him get PT over guys like Pietrus, Barnes, or Harrington, who all saw minutes at the four this year.

(The issue with Wright being a four is somewhat flawed since Nellie will play MAD small-ball with that team last year).

EDIT: I got this feeling from not only watching a lot of the Warriors games (probably about 65-70 throughout the season), but also because I lurk in the GSWseason/off-season threads. From an unbiased PoV, I see Warriors/their fans as having high hopes for the kid, and if he doesn't work out, he doesn't.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

The way the GSW fans saw Brandan Wright is a step in the right direction. Not a player who's going to come in and break down walls and come in and wreck havoc on the L. The fact that they traded away Jason Richardson and got Wright in return left a lot of expectations from the FO and also from Wright. There was more hope from the Warriors that Nellie would give him more PT, not because they thought it would make them a legitimate contender, but to get them moving forward, and let him get PT over guys like Pietrus, Barnes, or Harrington, who all saw minutes at the four this year.

(The issue with Wright being a four is somewhat flawed since Nellie will play MAD small-ball with that team last year).
exactly. if you got the impression people thought the warriors would be in the playoffs if Wright got more PT, it's not even about Wright atall.
eyes.gif
It's basically about the whole Nellieball philosophy, and goingsmall and getting killed on the boards. We felt that Wright is an interior presence (and watch, you'll bold this and say we're hyping him up), muchbetter than the small forwards we were playing at the 4.

If u read anything yall type it would make it seen like if wright got more PT yall was a LOCK to be in the playoffs. that=hyping the hell out of someone. and one laker fan picked bynum over howard, for a GSW fan who hates when people group yall into one yall sure do it alot for laker fans
eyes.gif

My thought EXACTLY...

Dont act like I'm here tryna start something and speak outta my *+%. But you gotta recognize that some of yall Warriors "fans" say that Wrightshould be one of your cornerstones for the franchise. Saying that ya'll wouldnt give up Wright for a better veteran player. Read back all the pages andtell me I'm wrong.

To me, he is NOTHING SPECIAL. Your regular tall, lanky, athletic, soft player who can't bang inside, doesn't have a shot and only opportunity to getpoints is to dunk

And NO, I am not a Warriors hater. I just hate how some of yall GSW fans are going hardcore with your team, when you never cared about the team until 2 yearsago, when Baron and Nellie got on the team.

Hell, I'm a BIG fan of Monta Ellis and think he's a LEGIT future superstar

eyes.gif

My thought EXACTLY...

Dont act like I'm here tryna start something and speak outta my *+%. But you gotta recognize that some of yall Warriors "fans" say that Wright should be one of your cornerstones for the franchise. Saying that ya'll wouldnt give up Wright for a better veteran player. Read back all the pages and tell me I'm wrong.

To me, he is NOTHING SPECIAL. Your regular tall, lanky, athletic, soft player who can't bang inside, doesn't have a shot and only opportunity to get points is to dunk

He is a lotto pick. You have to give him some time to prove himself to either be good or suck....if it's your opinion that he sucks and won't be agood player, that's your opinion and that's fine. but the warriors traded away a franchise player for him (and cap space) so they'll have to try todevelop him and see what he turns into. like JA said, if he's good, great. if he sucks, then he's a bust.
if you say he sucks after one season that really isn't fair to him at all.
And NO, I am not a Warriors hater. I just hate how some of yall GSW fans are going hardcore with your team, when you never cared about the team until 2 years ago, when Baron and Nellie got on the team.
tired.gif
not this again. seriously, stop it. that's whyit's not worth it for us warrior fans to talk about our team outside of the offseason thread. you guys are ridiculous sometimes. we've had a veryloyal/hardcore fanbase WAY before Baron/Nellie came. Don't group the hardcore REAL Warrior fans with the bandwagoners that hopped on during the playoffrun.if uve been on here long enough you'd know the warriors have always had a very loyal following on NT.

eyes.gif

My thought EXACTLY...

Dont act like I'm here tryna start something and speak outta my *+%. But you gotta recognize that some of yall Warriors "fans" say that Wright should be one of your cornerstones for the franchise. Saying that ya'll wouldnt give up Wright for a better veteran player. Read back all the pages and tell me I'm wrong.

To me, he is NOTHING SPECIAL. Your regular tall, lanky, athletic, soft player who can't bang inside, doesn't have a shot and only opportunity to get points is to dunk

He is a lotto pick. You have to give him some time to prove himself to either be good or suck....if it's your opinion that he sucks and won't be a good players, that's your opinion and that's fine. but the warriors traded away a franchise player for him (and cap space) so they'll have to try to develop him and see what he turns into. like JA said, if he's good, great. if he sucks, then he's a bust.
if you say he sucks after one season that really isn't fair to him at all.
And NO, I am not a Warriors hater. I just hate how some of yall GSW fans are going hardcore with your team, when you never cared about the team until 2 years ago, when Baron and Nellie got on the team.
tired.gif
not this again. seriously, stop it. that's why it's not worth it for us warrior fans to talk about our team outside of the offseason thread. you guys are ridiculous sometimes.

But seriously, you have to admit that 55% of your fellow GSW fans never really cared or showed up until 2 years ago..

The Josh Smith tour of Philadelphia ended yesterday, with the power forward of the Atlanta Hawks being impressed by the presentation of the 76ers and reactions of the people of the city toward him. But did the restricted free agent leave with an offer sheet from the Sixers? "Um, not yet," Smith said in an interview with Comcast SportsNet. "We've got to wait and see what goes on with the revenue and stuff." Philadelphia Inquirer

Josh Smith was referring to the NBA salary cap. The Sixers have about $11.5 million in cap space to woo Smith from the Hawks, but they are evidently waiting to see how much more will be available when the league sets the cap figure for the 2008-09 season, probably next week. When asked directly if an offer sheet was delivered to his client, agent Brian **** would not say. Philadelphia Inquirer

The Sixers could offer the 6-foot-9 Smith a maximum five-year deal. If $11.5 million is the salary for the first year, the total worth of the contract would be about $66.7 million, but that could grow depending on how much more money the team would have at its disposal with the new cap. Philadelphia Inquirer

The Hawks would have the right to match any offer made to Smith, who turned down a $45 million proposal before the start of last season. The team would weigh the heavy financial commitment against the need to show Hawks fans it will do whatever it takes to keep a young, promising team together. Philadelphia Inquirer

On other player fronts yesterday, an NBA source said the Sixers had made contact with unrestricted free agent Corey Maggette and hope to speak with him next week. The Sixers also are expected to bring in restricted free agent Josh Childress, a teammate of Smith's with the Hawks, for a visit on Monday. Philadelphia Inquirer

Three days into the NBA's free agency period, Corey Maggette is still talking to teams and weighing his options. It appears the free-agent swingman is heading into the holiday weekend a little bit closer to becoming a Spur than he was before the week began. A source close to the negotiations said Thursday that, though no deal is imminent, talks between the Spurs and Maggette are serious and the interest is mutual. San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs are believed to have offered Maggette a multi-year deal, starting with their $5.8 million mid-level exception. San Antonio Express-News

Meanwhile, published reports out of Orlando suggest the team perceived to be the Spurs' stiffest competition for Maggette might be near dropping out of the race altogether. San Antonio Express-News

The Boston Celtics have made an offer to Maggette as well, one he told the Boston Globe on Thursday he is seriously considering. The most the Celtics could offer Maggette is the mid-level exception, same as the Spurs. San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs' ongoing pursuit of Maggette could affect what happens with a pair of their own unrestricted free agents - Brent Barry and Michael Finley, who split time at the same position Maggette might soon occupy. Since opting out of his contract on Monday night, Barry has talked to Houston, Phoenix and the Los Angeles Lakers, as well as the Spurs. San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs have inquired about Washington forward Roger Mason, Detroit guard Jarvis Hayes and Denver forward Eduardo Najera, none of whom are likely to command the full mid-level exception. San Antonio Express-News

Spurs: Denver guard J.R. Smith and Toronto guard Carlos Delfino remain possibilities as well. Both are restricted free agents, affording their current teams the right to match any offer they receive. San Antonio Express-News

A day after talking with Celtics coach Doc Rivers, a longtime family friend, Clippers free agent forward Corey Maggette said he is seriously considering an offer to join the NBA champions. Maggette said he is still in awe about being contacted by the Celtics and has been mulling over their contract offer as well as interest from several other teams. Boston Globe

An NBA source said the Celtics offered Magette the full midlevel exception, expected to be worth $5.8 million. The Celtics have made offers to their own forward, James Posey, and Maggette, but it's doubtful they can accommodate both. While there is no news regarding Posey, Maggette said he could be coming to Boston in the near future to visit with the Celtics. Free agents can't sign until Wednesday. Boston Globe

The Clippers aren't expected to re-sign Maggette after they landed free agent guard Baron Davis Tuesday with a five-year, $65 million contract. But if Golden State gets Clippers free agent forward Elton Brand, the Clippers could have a change of heart regarding Maggette. Clippers owner Donald Sterling is a big fan of Maggette. Other teams interested in Maggette include the Spurs, 76ers, Warriors, Hornets, Magic, Jazz, and Cavaliers. Boston Globe

An NBA source said the Celtics offered Posey a three-year, $12 million contract, but a team official denied it. "There is a lot of interest," Bartelstein said. "We'll work through it and get to a conclusion." Boston Globe

An NBA source said the Celtics surprisingly worked out Blazers free agent small forward Darius Miles yesterday and he had an impressive workout. Miles missed last season while recovering from knee surgery. Boston Globe

The Celtics met with Hornets free agent Chris Andersen the past two days before he returned to his offseason home in Denver. The Celtics also worked out Pacers free agent center David Harrison and Timberwolves free agent swingman Kirk Snyder yesterday. Boston Globe

Today, Boston is scheduled to work out Golden State free agent center Patrick O'Bryant, who recently met with the Heat. Boston Globe

James Posey: With the Los Angeles Lakers, New Orleans and Cleveland all in contact with the former Celtic, he has business to tend to. "James has been through free agency before, and he knows that it's never easy," said his agent, Mark Bartelstein. "The one thing about James is that he has great faith in himself. James just believes that wherever he goes, he's going to have an impact." Boston Herald

Eddie House, who Bartelstein also represents, has been contacted by New York. The former Celtics guard played for new Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni in Phoenix before being supplanted by, of all people, ex-Celtic Marcus Banks in the Suns rotation. Boston Herald

J.J. Barea, who proved to be a reliable sparkplug throughout last season, said he is closing in on a three-year deal worth about $4.8 million to return to the Dallas Mavericks. The third year would be at the team's option and the first would pay him $1.5 million next season. He said he'll likely sign the deal Wednesday when the league's moratorium on signings and trades expires. "I'm happy to be back," the 5-foot-11 Barea said Thursday. Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Meanwhile, Devean George, whom the Mavs have placed a high priority on re-signing,(WHY?) is receiving considerable attention from about a half dozen teams.(WHY) A league source said keen interest from Phoenix, San Antonio, Minnesota, Cleveland and New Orleans is making George seriously contemplate his next move. Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Backup point guard Tyronn Lue is another player the Mavs would like to re-sign, but according to a report Wednesday, he is looking hard at Phoenix and Boston. Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Elton Brand remains the Warriors' No. 1 target, with their five-year, $90 million deal on the table. The Clippers are limited to offering Brand a five-year contract at about $75 million if they renounce Brand's rights, as planned, to fit both him and Baron Davis under the salary cap. San Francisco Chronicle

A source close to free-agent small forward Corey Maggette said Thursday that the Warriors have expressed interest in Corey Maggette and are looking to start negotiations. The Warriors don't publicly comment on negotiations. San Jose Mercury News

Like Brand, Maggette exercised the early termination option on his contract before the June 30 deadline, forgoing the $7 million he was due. The buzz among NBA insiders is that Brand - by all accounts a class act - will honor his word and remain with the Clippers. San Jose Mercury News

The Warriors have begun talks with Monta Ellis, their prize restricted free agent. Talks with center Andris Biedrins, their other key restricted free agent, are expected to begin next week. San Jose Mercury News

They could force the Clippers to ask the Warriors to sign-and-trade Davis. Simple explanation: If Brand's salary is so high that the Clippers cannot fit Davis in as a free agent, they'd need the Warriors' cooperation to add Davis. San Jose Mercury News

They could attract interest from other top-line free agents who have to be impressed that the Warriors are ready to use their prodigious cap space only hours after Davis' departure created the space. I'm talking about Clippers wing Corey Maggette, Atlanta center Josh Smith, Charlotte power forward Emeka Okafor and Philadelphia small forward Andre Igoudala. All are restricted free agents except Maggette, who is unrestricted and might already have heard from the Warriors. San Jose Mercury News

The Pistons are still shopping in free agency, and two players they are reportedly targeting are Boston's James Posey and Golden State's Mickael Pietrus. Bill McCandless, the representative for Pietrus, told the San Francisco Chronicle that eight teams had inquired about his client. But it is unknown whether Pistons president Joe Dumars has reached out to him. Pietrus averaged 7.2 points in 29.9 minutes for the Warriors last season. He is a 26-year-old in his fifth season from France. Detroit Free Press

The Pistons could make a run at another small forward or wing player to back up Tayshaun Prince. Portland's James Jones is another good possibility. He's a 44 percent three-point shooter. The Pistons don't have hopes of getting much from this weak free agent class, but they do have a mid-level exception worth about $5.8 million. Detroit Free Press

Deron Williams and his representatives have scheduled a meeting with the Jazz next week to discuss a potential $90 million contract extension. Williams' agent, Bob McClaren, would not say when the meeting would take place, though it is expected to be Wednesday or Thursday, after Williams returns from vacation. It will take place in Salt Lake City, with McClaren flying in from Houston. Salt Lake Tribune

Despite starting his NBA career as a point guard, Dwyane Wade reiterated he has no desire to return to the position. "Do I want to set up the offense every time? No, I don't want to do that," he said, as his basketball camp wound down at Florida International University. "I would love to get somebody else in that can handle the ball, as well, at times, and make plays." South Florida Sun-Sentinel

The Wizards went over the salary cap to re-sign team captain Antawn Jamison to a four-year $50 million deal on Monday. They would have been able to stay under the league luxury tax if they re-signed Arenas to the max, but wouldn't have been able to pick up any other players or attempt to re-sign backup point guard Roger Mason Jr., who also is an unrestricted free agent. Washington Times

The Miami Heat, continuing to search for point guard help, has ''expressed great interest'' in Orlando Magic unrestricted free agent and former Heat backup Keyon Dooling, agent Rob Pelinka said Thursday. Pelinka declined to say if Miami has made an offer but said the sides ``will continue to have a dialogue.'' Miami Herald

The Heat also has inquired about several other veteran free agent point guards, including Sebastian Telfair, Tyronn Lue and Jannero Pargo. Other veteran free agent point guards available include Carlos Arroyo, Eddie House, Anthony Johnson and Anthony Carter. Dooling, 28, averaged 8.1 points, 1.8 assists, 1.4 rebounds and 18.5 minutes for Orlando last season, and his .468 shooting percentage was higher than his .417 career average. Miami Herald

As it is, free agents cannot sign and trades cannot be completed until the July 9 end of the NBA's personnel moratorium. Only rookie contracts can be signed. That's it. For the Heat, that leaves little use in trying to work out a trade for Shawn Marion at this stage, since all it would do is create bad blood if something were to fall apart during the moratorium. South Florida Sun-Sentinel

As for free agency, opposing teams know the Heat is unwilling to go beyond two years, so they simply offer three. None of these second-tier players are worth endangering the Heat's cap position for 2010 (no Chris Bosh then because of a rash move for Kwame Brown now?). South Florida Sun-Sentinel

While the Knicks continue to wait for Chris Duhon to accept or reject their offer, another interesting scenario is beginning to surface involving Monta Ellis, the dynamic young guard for the Golden State Warriors. NY Newsday

A person with knowledge of the situation said nine teams have made inquiries about Ellis. The Miami Heat and Cleveland Cavaliers have shown the most interest. The Knicks, who are searching for point guard help, are not one of those teams, but a second source said the Knicks have been monitoring the situation. Warriors executive vice president Chris Mullin has maintained he intends to sign Ellis. NY Newsday

Monta Ellis, who quickly emerged as a scoring machine in Don Nelson's fast-paced offense, made $770,610 this past season and likely is seeking a hefty raise to upwards of $10 million per season in a five-to-six-year deal. NY Newsday

The Chris Duhon Watch continued into the Fourth of July holiday weekend as the Bulls backcourt point guard apparently doesn't have a formal offer from Orlando yet and isn't thrilled with the Knicks' modest two-year package. He may want to just enjoy the holiday before accepting anything. NY Post

Not that Duhon deserves to have "A Watch," but this is the state of the Knicks' free-agent point-guard hunt that hardly spells the end of the Stephon Marbury Era. The Knicks expected an answer yesterday but were still awaiting word after making the career backup a two-year offer in the $6.5 million range on the first day of free agency Tuesday. NY Post

According to a radio report, the Magic had either made or planned to make a three-year offer that would beat the Knicks. There are a ton of other options for the Knicks, but no frontline guy that would prompt Knicks president Donnie Walsh from waiving Marbury. NY Post

The Knicks have also expressed interest in Tyronn Lue, Roger Mason, Eddie House, Sebastian Telfair, Jennaro Pargo and Carlos Arroyo. NY Post

Nets: Members of the organization have said privately that trading Jefferson was necessary partly because of his selfish behavior behind the scenes. However, the biggest reason Jefferson was dealt was the financial flexibility the move will give the Nets two years from now, when LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh can become free agents. Jefferson is owed $42 million over the next three seasons. Simmons' deal runs out after two seasons and Yi is still playing under his rookie contract, meaning only the upcoming season is guaranteed. NY Daily News

If Denver wants to make a big deal to inspire local basketball fans to renew their faith (and their season tickets), then the Nuggets might have to say goodbye to Marcus Camby. From his 6-foot-11 frame to his defensive mind-set and his reasonable salary by NBA standards, the very attributes that make Camby valuable to the Nuggets will also tempt teams to overpay for the 34-year-old center in trade. While we go gaga over Kobe, LeBron and the point guards of generation next, what sells best in this league is size, because big is always in short supply. Denver Post

While Denver rebuffed trade offers for forward Carmelo Anthony, it's no secret among league general managers that the Nuggets are all ears for any proposal involving Camby or guard Allen Iverson. After hitting the lottery with Derrick Rose in the draft, the Chicago Bulls still have a need for a center. They also have an extra point guard in 27-year-old Kirk Hinrich, whose solid-if-unspectacular style is appreciated by Nuggets brass. After weeks of stumbling in a search for a coach before finally getting Vinny Del Negro to say yes, it's expected the Bulls will not be in any hurry to sort through thoughts on trading Hinrich. Denver Post

Back
Top Bottom