Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

the magic are the darkhorse team to land maggette i think that they'll land him so the lineup could be this.

PG-Nelson
SG-Maggette
SF-Lewis
PF-Battie
C-Howard
6th Man-Turk

OR

PG-Nelson
SG-Maggette
SF-Turkoglu
PF-Lewis
C-Howard

eek.gif
pimp.gif

I'm a fan of Maggette but he is not a SG, dude is a natural SF. If he plays SG for your team, good luck with that because dude will build you houses. Thisis coming from a Clips fan who's watched him his entire career as a Clipper.

Originally Posted by Div1LBC

I'm a fan of Maggette but he is not a SG, dude is a natural SF. If he plays SG for your team, good luck with that because dude will build you houses. This is coming from a Clips fan who's watched him his entire career as a Clipper.

that's why i think the hornets would be the best fit for him.
peja and cp's shooting can compliment maggette's slashing abilities.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Posey is good, but the Celtics had a hard time scoring in the playoffs, Big 3 included.

Magette is a proven scorer.

Sure, don't fix what ain't broke, but Posey is kinda getting up there in age. They might regret giving the full MLE to Posey in like the 3rd year of his deal.
If I'm not mistaken, I think length of contract is one of the issues.

Sixers trying to get in position to lure Brand from WestCoast

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Monday night that the Philadelphia 76ers are again "actively involved" in the Brand hunt after initially fearing that they couldn't compete financially with the Clippers and Golden State Warriors.

Although the leaguewide consensus remains that Brand will return to Hollywood to form a new partnership with Clipper-to-be Baron Davis, sources said the Sixers are growing increasingly confident in their ability to create additional salary-cap space by finding a new home via trade for swingman Rodney Carney and then make a sufficiently rich offer to Brand.

Sources said that the Sixers remain highly interested in Atlanta Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith, but it appears that Philly will give itself every chance to emerge as the unlikely winner of the Brand sweepstakes before deciding whether to sign Smith to an offer sheet that the Hawks would have seven days to match.

Sources close to the process told ESPN.com on Monday that the Warriors continue to have dialogue with the Brand camp and have not abandoned hope of luring the 29-year-old to Northern California.

Yet separate sources suggested Monday that Brand -- if he's ultimately drawn away from his Face of the Franchise status with the Clippers -- would be more inclined to jump to Philadelphia than Golden State, given the Sixers' residence in a conference with far fewer contenders than the West and the opportunity to join a young Philly nucleus (Andre Miller, Andre Iguodala and the considerable wingspan of center Samuel Dalembert) that won many admirers as last season progressed.

I really want Maggette to go to Orlando or New Orleans. Those teams could use him a lot more than San Antonio or Boston.

PG-Nelson
SG-Maggette
SF-Lewis
PF-Battie
C-Howard
6th Man-Turk

sick.gif
Battie starting? No thanks.

Anyways, I really don't want Maggette to go to Boston, or New Orleans. If I had a preference that wasn't Dallas if they do a S&T with the Nets (theMavericks were close to getting Maggette last year for JET, but it fell through), would be for him to go to either San Antonio or Detroit.

Boston papers say he is going to boston....

SA papers say he is going to the spurs....

Its all rumors until something happens.
True. Although it's worth noting that in this case the "It's believed that Maggette, without an offer from a team with caproom, favors San Antonio" quote is directly from Espn's Marc Stein who seems to 'report' what one might call favorable news aboutDallas and San Antonio whenever the occasion arises. Anyone who's listened to his on-air NBA news updates or has read his news columns can see his virtualfanship of the two teams.

While I haven't seen any San Antonio or otherwise city news articles about Maggette, the Boston Globe is reporting factual information about Doc'sconvo with CM and CM quotes. At least it isn't the usual "sources say" garbage we've been hearing and reading, or "it'sbelieved..." nonsense. What sources? Believed by whom?

With all the sensationalism taking the place of real news these days, it looks like all of these rumors are simply made up for entertainment purposes andleague interest.

Until a player personally confirms their decision, you pretty much have to take these things as worthless.

Nevertheless, thanks Tupac for keeping the thread updated. Appreciated.

The Hornets are targeting Boston Celtics free agent James Posey to solve their needs at shooting guard, but whether Hornets General Manager Jeff Bower can pull off a deal is uncertain. Free agents can begin signing contracts Wednesday, and Posey is one of the most sought after on the market. Posey, who can play shooting guard and small forward, appears to be one of the Hornets' No.1 targets. However, it likely would take a full mid-level exception offer of $5.8 million for him to consider coming to New Orleans. New orleans Times-Picayune

Bartelstein issued the same update on Hornets free-agent guard Jannero Pargo, whom the team is seeking to re-sign. Pargo has drawn interest from several teams, including Denver and New Jersey. New orleans Times-Picayune

Besides All-Star point guard Chris Paul agreeing to a three-year extension that includes a player option for the fourth year that would push the value to $68 million, the Hornets have no other commitments. The Hornets also have expressed interest in Pistons free agent Jarvis Hayes. New orleans Times-Picayune

Kurt Thomas spent four months in San Antonio last season, just long enough to determine he'd like to come back for a second tour of duty with the Spurs. Thomas also has been around the business of the NBA long enough to know he'd be best served to look around a bit before committing to that desire in writing. San Antonio Express-News

Lost amid the hubbub of the Spurs' week-long recruitment of free-agent swingman Corey Maggette has been their low-key courtship of Thomas, who played an integral role in the team's run to the Western Conference finals last season. The Spurs have long held interest in re-signing the veteran forward, a desire that only became intensified when former first-round pick Tiago Splitter opted to remain in Spain. San Antonio Express-News

Kurt Thomas is one of a handful of free agents the Spurs have discussed retaining, a list that also includes guards Brent Barry and Michael Finley. What other options might be available to Thomas this summer are uncertain. There would seem to be a niche market, at best, for the 35-year-old forward. San Antonio Express-News

Miami and the Los Angeles Lakers have expressed interest in Kurt Thomas, though the Spurs could offer more money than either of those teams. In all likelihood, the Lakers would partake in the hunt for Thomas only if their bid to retain Ronny Turiaf falls short. San Antonio Express-News

Still looking for a short-term solution to their lack of shooters, the Suns are taking a second shot at coaxing Brent Barry to Phoenix. But much like his most particular prowess - Barry is one of the top 3-point shooters around - the chances of getting him are a long shot. Sources confirmed a San Antonio Express-News report that Barry, who turned down his player option (at the veteran's minimum of $1.262 million) with the Spurs on July 1, has had discussions with the Suns. East Valley Tribune

Phoenix has also inquired about Portland forward Darius Miles. Miles missed all of the last two seasons with a right knee injury that required microfracture surgery an independent doctor ruled as career-ending. He is still owed more than $27 million by the Blazers, although it doesn't count against their salary cap unless he returns to the NBA and plays at least 10 games in either of the next two seasons. East Valley Tribune

On the point guard front, the Suns still feel they have a strong shot at landing veteran Tyronn Lue, who has expressed a strong interest in playing for the Suns. East Valley Tribune

The Warriors have been trying to unload Al Harrington (two years left worth about $20 million) and they need a point guard. The Pistons could offer Chauncey Billups, but they would want a lot more than Harrington back in return. The Pistons have notdiscussed this scenario with the Warriors, and they are not overly infatuated with Harrington. Detroit News

Pistons: As for free agents, James Jones, the swing man from Portland, seems like the most probable signee. What I didn't realize at first, though, was he opted to leave $3.1 million on the table to get out of Portland. He's going to want more than that to start. If he gets $4 million or more from another team, the Pistons probably would bow out. Detroit News

Orlando Magic General Manager Otis Smith said Monday that the club is seriously interested in signing free agent Corey Maggette but concedes they're a dark horse in the race. "Is it a long shot?" Smith said. "Uh, yeah." Smith said the Magic are in the running as long as Maggette can command only the midlevel exception, worth about $6 million per year. There are a few other teams with money under the salary cap to give Maggette more, but not many. Orlando Sentinel

Smith said the Magic still want to bring back combo guard Keyon Dooling. He said Monday the Magic have yet to offer him a contract. The Magic just lost out on point guard Chris Duhon, who has agreed to sign with the New York Knicks. Orlando Sentinel

Pat Riley hinted that the Heat's biggest offseason moves would come on the trade market, saying it is unlikely he would spend the entire $6 million mid-level exception on a single player. "We're just going to go slowly, little by little, and try to pick off the players that we feel are real good fits," he said. South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Riley said the Heat is not involved in the bidding for Clippers free-agent forward Elton Brand and indicated the Clippers' Corey Maggette also is out of the team's price range. He said there would be no repeat of last summer, when he put other negotiations on hold to wait out a decision by free-agent point guard Mo Williams, who instead opted to remain with the Bucks. South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Yet in addition to re-signing Sasha Vujacic and Ronny Turiaf, watching newly drafted rookie Joe Crawford participate in Las Vegas, and keeping an eye on trades and free agents, the Lakers are hoping to sign Sun Yue. Who is Sun Yue? The 6-foot-9 point guard was the Lakers' second-round draft pick last year, but he stayed overseas, where will play on the Chinese national team this summer. Orange County Register

Ron Artest: "I made the comment about making a mistake on my opt out clause because I really did make a mistake. I had wrong info about extension options and it could have cost me a new deal. I was informed that the kings had me in their long term plans so that's why I decided to stay in contract. I just wanted to show loyalty. However when I spoke to the kings that was not an option and I grew frustrated with my decision immediately. I do apologize for being mistakenly frustrated with the kings. It was a mistake that I made and I will move on from. I dont know my future but I'm still a King Haters:smile:" Sacramento Bee

Richard Jefferson on how he felt after being traded: "I took a long time to mull it over. It was an emotional thing for me only because I wanted to be a Net my entire career. Good and bad, we had good stretches and bad stretches. But I wanted to be a Net. When this happened I was upset. Even though we were going through bad times, I'm still committed to this. "After calming down and evaluating and looking at the opportunity here and the opportunity to get back into the playoffs, which I really don't think the Nets are going to be headed to the next couple of years. And I think they've kind of voiced that with some of the moves they've made." Bergen Record

Richard Jefferson on what upset him about traded: "It wasn't about Milwaukee. I could have been traded to Boston. I could have been traded to L.A. There's not a place I could have been traded that I would have been happy. I'm one of the few guys that can honestly say I was a part of something in kind of starting a franchise and getting it going with Jason Kidd and Kenyon Martin and all those guys. It wasn't about a city. It was more about that feeling of rejection. The people that traded for you on draft day, that you had so much success [with]. They went from seeing me not be able to hit a shot outside of 15 feet to being one of the top 10 scorers in the league. Those people are like my family there. I lived there for seven seasons. They always will be. I love New York. I love New Jersey. The fans there have been amazing. I was there when we were going to the Finals and the Finals games weren't sold out. I've been through a lot of stuff there. It wasn't about the city. I was more about the trade than anything." Bergen Record

That's right Riley don't throw the whole MLE at the mediocre guys

just sign some vets for the minimum and try to find a good deal for Marion

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Monday night that the Philadelphia 76ers are again "actively involved" in the Elton Brand hunt -- and now a very serious threat to tempt him away from L.A. -- after initially fearing that they couldn't compete financially with the Clippers and Golden State Warriors. ESPN.com

Multiple front-office sources said late Monday that the Sixers are closing in on a deal with the Timberwolves in which the Wolves would absorb the contracts of both Carney and Booth by using the $2.8 million remaining from a trade exception created by Minnesota's trade of Mark Blount to Miami last October and a separate minimum player exception. It was not immediately known what financial and/or draft considerations might be included in the trade from either side. ESPN.com

Philly traded Rodney Carney and Calvin Booth to Minny along with a future 1st for the 2.8 million trade exception. I guess they are clearing space for Brand orJosh Smith.

Can't believe the Sixers did that just to get a little extra money for Smith or Brand. If they end up with either of them then it would suck. I think ATLwill definitely match any offer for Smith so more than likely they will go toe-to-toe with Philly.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Can't believe the Sixers did that just to get a little extra money for Smith or Brand. If they end up with either of them then it would suck. I think ATL will definitely match any offer for Smith so more than likely they will go toe-to-toe with Philly.

Why can't you believe it? It makes perfect sense.
laugh.gif

Mavericks are close to signing James Singleton to a guarunteed contract.
grin.gif
eyes.gif

Green, Bass, Barea, Jones, Stackhouse, Terry, Howard, Diop, Dampier, Kidd, Dirk, and now Singleton doesn't leave much room for Pape Sow, Reyshawn Terry,or Shan Foster...
ohwell.gif

[h1]Magic to sign contract with Pietrus[/h1]
BY JOHN DENTON • FLORIDA TODAY • July 8, 2008

ORLANDO - The Orlando Magic have reached a verbal agreement with shooting guard Mickael Pietrus and expect to sign him to a multi-year contract today, general manager Otis Smith confirmed to FLORIDA TODAY.

Pietrus, a 6-foot-6, 200-pound shooting guard, is expected to earn almost all of the Mid-Level Exception, starting at 5.2 million nextseason. Pietrus, a native of Les Abymes, Guadeloupe, France, played all five of his NBA seasons with the Golden State Warriors.

The signing of Pietrus ends the Magic's chase of free-agent shooting guard Corey Maggette and could end their chances of retaining combo guard Keyon Dooling.

Pietrus is especially appealing to the Magic because of his ability to defend. He is a strong defender with a long wingspan, traits that appealed to Smith. Smith, who used to work with the Golden State Warriors, is quite familiar with Pietrus' toughness and defensive grit.

Smith said the Magic needed to upgrade their shooting guard position in order to make a dramatic improvement next season. He is expected to be the opening day starter at shooting guard.

``In the Eastern Conference you had better be able to defend that position. We think he can really help us do that. And he can shoot the 3.''

The signing also means that last season's starting shooting guard, Maurice Evans, likely won't return.

Pietrus fell out of favor in Golden State last season under coach Don Nelson, averaging 7.2 points and 3.7 rebounds. He shot 44 percent from the field and 35.3 percent from the 3-point line. He's averaged 8.6 points and 3.4 rebounds in five NBA seasons.

Back
Top Bottom