So INCEPTION is One of the BEST Movies I have ever seen... Vol. Christopher "The Man" Nolan

Every where i've read it seems like people totally missed the point about the movie... its not about whats real and whats a dream...

The movie was an Inception to the Viewer... i posted this on imdb. thoughts??

The whole damn movie is an inception, to me it doesn't matter that the ending didn't show if the world we were viewing was real or a dream... THAT WAS NEVER THE POINT OF THE ENDING!

The movie successfully implanted an idea (ugh... inception) in every viewers head. This idea being: "the viewer believes they must see what that totem does in order to know what is real or fake".

This parallels a constant theme of the film "We are all prisoners to our own beliefs"

The movie itself was fantastic... The whole time the characters are talking about creating an idea in another person's head and whether or not they'll accept it.

This comes to life at the end of the movie when the viewers are questioning the fact that they didn't see the totem fall so it has to be a dream.

"it didn't fall, its a dream"... no... its inception!

An idea the writer and director put in your head!

Originally Posted by Ramarqable

Every where i've read it seems like people totally missed the point about the movie... its not about whats real and whats a dream...

The whole damn movie is an inception, to me it doesn't matter that the ending didn't show if the world we were viewing was real or a dream... THAT WAS NEVER THE POINT OF THE ENDING!

The movie successfully implanted an idea (ugh... inception) in every viewers head. This idea being: "the viewer believes they must see what that totem does in order to know what is real or fake".

This parallels a constant theme of the film "We are all prisoners to our own beliefs"

The movie itself was fantastic... The whole time the characters are talking about creating an idea in another person's head and whether or not they'll accept it.

This comes to life at the end of the movie when the viewers are questioning the fact that they didn't see the totem fall so it has to be a dream.

tumblr_l5ud8t0Rt91qcbnq0o1_400.jpg

Originally Posted by Ramarqable

tumblr_l5ud8t0Rt91qcbnq0o1_400.jpg

Finally peeped it.

It wasn't mind-blowing or anything. Anyone who's taken a philosophy course has been more mind-+%+%$@ than this.

The great thing is that everyone hasn't explored the realms of deep thought and Nolan played on this perfectly. He skimped a lot of things but hid it neatly behind convolution. So when people say "it's the best movie I've ever seen", they are moreso referring to the story line which they don't quite understand, or that took their mind for such a loop, than the actual movie as a whole. The acting could have been better; some of the scenes more developed; the movie as a whole felt a bit rushed (especially from the second to third stages of the dream). It will definitely get people talking, but it shouldn't be praised in lieu of it's glaring faults.

I do still have a theory about the movie though.

I think Cobb's father tested out this whole notion of inception on Cobb to the point that his dreams became his reality. He created this whole world, based solely on this simple thought. It could even be said that everyone excluding Cobb is a projector of Cobb's subconscious mind, designed to knock him out of limbo. So while the story is based around planting the seed of doubt into the mind of Fischer, it's in fact designed to get Cobb back to a place in his dreams that he can actually function on, with his make believe children.

Finally peeped it.

It wasn't mind-blowing or anything. Anyone who's taken a philosophy course has been more mind-+%+%$@ than this.

The great thing is that everyone hasn't explored the realms of deep thought and Nolan played on this perfectly. He skimped a lot of things but hid it neatly behind convolution. So when people say "it's the best movie I've ever seen", they are moreso referring to the story line which they don't quite understand, or that took their mind for such a loop, than the actual movie as a whole. The acting could have been better; some of the scenes more developed; the movie as a whole felt a bit rushed (especially from the second to third stages of the dream). It will definitely get people talking, but it shouldn't be praised in lieu of it's glaring faults.

I do still have a theory about the movie though.

I think Cobb's father tested out this whole notion of inception on Cobb to the point that his dreams became his reality. He created this whole world, based solely on this simple thought. It could even be said that everyone excluding Cobb is a projector of Cobb's subconscious mind, designed to knock him out of limbo. So while the story is based around planting the seed of doubt into the mind of Fischer, it's in fact designed to get Cobb back to a place in his dreams that he can actually function on, with his make believe children.

The movie was amazing, I'll post more later........Primer is a good movie to watch, not as good as this but good.

The movie was amazing, I'll post more later........Primer is a good movie to watch, not as good as this but good.

saw it again tonight, i felt it was a lot better the second time around because i could concentrate on the details without being overwhelmed by the visuals.

still got SCARED when ariadne went down the elevator and mal looked at her after talking to cobb. scary scene, lol.

saw it again tonight, i felt it was a lot better the second time around because i could concentrate on the details without being overwhelmed by the visuals.

still got SCARED when ariadne went down the elevator and mal looked at her after talking to cobb. scary scene, lol.

limbo = unconstructed dream space aka NO PREVIOUS EFFORT/THOUGHT WAS PUT INTO THE SETTINGS.

when cobb and ariadne went into the 4th dream state, THIS WAS NOT PART OF THE PLAN so its essentially unconstructed dream space. that is why they were able to meet up with mal and fischer.

limbo = unconstructed dream space aka NO PREVIOUS EFFORT/THOUGHT WAS PUT INTO THE SETTINGS.

when cobb and ariadne went into the 4th dream state, THIS WAS NOT PART OF THE PLAN so its essentially unconstructed dream space. that is why they were able to meet up with mal and fischer.

Just got back from seeing it.

Not sure why some people would be so confused. It's easy to see it's a distillation of movies in general. Yes, there are philosophical underpinnings (skepticism, determinism, etc), but in the end it's a movie that tries to tell you in as many ways possible that it is just a movie. It was fun, kind of like a Matrix-light. The 3rd dream state, though, was pretty bland. It was like a level in a generic first-person shooter, or something.
Edit-One more thing. Let me explain it, since I've just read some of the posts and I'm worried for some of you lol

The las scene is basically the most real. That is, whatever world we see in the end, where Cob (Leo) meets with his pops and kids (notice no mother). Everything else just was a dream (or a regression of dreams). At the very least the ending is the most real, even if it is just another dream, but we have no reason to believe this anyway.

Some people seem to be making a huge deal about the tokens and the dream machines and blah blah. That stuff DOESN'T MATTER. Why on Earth would you apply the physics in a dream to the REAL world? Why would something that is true in a dream world (if a top spins forever, it's a dream; machines can hook people up to the same dream, etc) be something that is real in the real world? No one has a dream about flying unicorns and expects them to pop up in places in the real world. The stuff in dreams is not real. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought the dream-linking tech was purely imaginary and never real at all. I don't expect that streets and buildings will fold over themselves in the real world even though I may have dreamed about it once. The laws of physics and explanations for things in the dreams mean nothing in the end (literally); it's all dream-stuff that has not relation to the real world.

Nothing weird happens in the ending. It's pretty normal, pretty bland. There's no reason to believe that it's just another dream. Of course, someone could be skeptical and say it is just another dream, but why would someone argue that? In the end, the VERY end, it is just a movie. Of course none of it real, actually. In some sense, maybe one can argue that the movie was just a two and a half hour long projection of ideas. So in this way, the whole movie is a dream, but within the dream there does seem to be some reality; the final scene shows that.

Basically, there is a germ of an idea he has and, in order for Cob to (in his dream) explain a plausible reunion with his wife, he has to create excuses and reasons for this to be likely. It's kind of like the way a person formulates a persuasive argument or convincing film. We all have basic ideas and we think about how they might become reality. Fore example, one might think about how one might purchase that really cool car. In order to make the possession of that car possible, one would have to have a ton of money. In order to have a ton of money, one would have to have a good job. In order to have a good job, one would have to have good skills and education, etc. Cob's dreaming was a representation of this process.

Just got back from seeing it.

Not sure why some people would be so confused. It's easy to see it's a distillation of movies in general. Yes, there are philosophical underpinnings (skepticism, determinism, etc), but in the end it's a movie that tries to tell you in as many ways possible that it is just a movie. It was fun, kind of like a Matrix-light. The 3rd dream state, though, was pretty bland. It was like a level in a generic first-person shooter, or something.
Edit-One more thing. Let me explain it, since I've just read some of the posts and I'm worried for some of you lol

The las scene is basically the most real. That is, whatever world we see in the end, where Cob (Leo) meets with his pops and kids (notice no mother). Everything else just was a dream (or a regression of dreams). At the very least the ending is the most real, even if it is just another dream, but we have no reason to believe this anyway.

Some people seem to be making a huge deal about the tokens and the dream machines and blah blah. That stuff DOESN'T MATTER. Why on Earth would you apply the physics in a dream to the REAL world? Why would something that is true in a dream world (if a top spins forever, it's a dream; machines can hook people up to the same dream, etc) be something that is real in the real world? No one has a dream about flying unicorns and expects them to pop up in places in the real world. The stuff in dreams is not real. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought the dream-linking tech was purely imaginary and never real at all. I don't expect that streets and buildings will fold over themselves in the real world even though I may have dreamed about it once. The laws of physics and explanations for things in the dreams mean nothing in the end (literally); it's all dream-stuff that has not relation to the real world.

Nothing weird happens in the ending. It's pretty normal, pretty bland. There's no reason to believe that it's just another dream. Of course, someone could be skeptical and say it is just another dream, but why would someone argue that? In the end, the VERY end, it is just a movie. Of course none of it real, actually. In some sense, maybe one can argue that the movie was just a two and a half hour long projection of ideas. So in this way, the whole movie is a dream, but within the dream there does seem to be some reality; the final scene shows that.

Basically, there is a germ of an idea he has and, in order for Cob to (in his dream) explain a plausible reunion with his wife, he has to create excuses and reasons for this to be likely. It's kind of like the way a person formulates a persuasive argument or convincing film. We all have basic ideas and we think about how they might become reality. Fore example, one might think about how one might purchase that really cool car. In order to make the possession of that car possible, one would have to have a ton of money. In order to have a ton of money, one would have to have a good job. In order to have a good job, one would have to have good skills and education, etc. Cob's dreaming was a representation of this process.

Originally Posted by parada45

The theroy about his kids being his totem is crazy

that can't be true. they said your totem has to be a small tangible item, that only you know the weight/feel of.

Originally Posted by parada45

The theroy about his kids being his totem is crazy

that can't be true. they said your totem has to be a small tangible item, that only you know the weight/feel of.

Ideas have never felt more interesting and put to good use than in this film. This film is not for the popcorn muncher, rather it is a film for thinkers. It's like a puzzle, both physically and mentally, and you have to pay attention throughout the film for the clues.

Nolan controls the spectacle of the film and is careful not to let it overwhelm the film's humanity, and this is where "Inception" shines. The levels and the layers on which things are happening are so many, that one will surely miss something vital. Definitely needs a second watch for sure.

Ideas have never felt more interesting and put to good use than in this film. This film is not for the popcorn muncher, rather it is a film for thinkers. It's like a puzzle, both physically and mentally, and you have to pay attention throughout the film for the clues.

Nolan controls the spectacle of the film and is careful not to let it overwhelm the film's humanity, and this is where "Inception" shines. The levels and the layers on which things are happening are so many, that one will surely miss something vital. Definitely needs a second watch for sure.

Back
Top Bottom