So Supreme decided to release a Japanese benefit shirt

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

Originally Posted by Diego

Poor or not, $100 dollars for a plain white tee is sus....but to each its own
this.
grin.gif

Sheep: People who've never been to a Supreme store but complain about their prices because they've heard other people complain about it.

Also see "poor".
Na, its just anyone who is that "loyal" to any brand to me is a sheep.

SUPREME SHIRTS RETAIL FOR $36. THE MOST I EVER PAID FOR A SUPREME SHIRT WAS $44 FOR THE KERMIT TEE. I GUESS IGNORANCE REALLY IS BLISS. THE LEAST YOU CAN DO IF YOUR GONNA HATE A BRAND IS DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH NOT LISTEN TO WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS SAYING.

YES A LOT OF SUPREME SHIRTS ARE PRICED FOR MORE THAN $100 ON EBAY. BUT THAT WAS NOT RETAIL PRICE. JUST REMEMBER THAT

SUPREME SHIRTS RETAIL FOR $36. THE MOST I EVER PAID FOR A SUPREME SHIRT WAS $44 FOR THE KERMIT TEE. I GUESS IGNORANCE REALLY IS BLISS. THE LEAST YOU CAN DO IF YOUR GONNA HATE A BRAND IS DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH NOT LISTEN TO WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS SAYING.

YES A LOT OF SUPREME SHIRTS ARE PRICED FOR MORE THAN $100 ON EBAY. BUT THAT WAS NOT RETAIL PRICE. JUST REMEMBER THAT

Sheep: People who've never been to a Supreme store but complain about their prices because they've heard other people complain about it.

Also see "poor".
Na, its just anyone who is that "loyal" to any brand to me is a sheep.

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

I got tattooed not too long ago for a benefit.
nerd.gif

It wasn't as odd as it seems. $100 for a japanese style tattoo with all proceeds going to charity. Even when I went in the morning, they had about 8 tattoo artists working at one time. That hour alone, they probably made about $1000 easy. I wouldn't be surprised if they raised 10k for charity and all on a 6 hour workday. It was a great thing that Seventh Son Tattoo did and they realize within the tattoo culture that Japan and their Japanese influence is a big deal.

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

I got tattooed not too long ago for a benefit.
nerd.gif

It wasn't as odd as it seems. $100 for a japanese style tattoo with all proceeds going to charity. Even when I went in the morning, they had about 8 tattoo artists working at one time. That hour alone, they probably made about $1000 easy. I wouldn't be surprised if they raised 10k for charity and all on a 6 hour workday. It was a great thing that Seventh Son Tattoo did and they realize within the tattoo culture that Japan and their Japanese influence is a big deal.

they should have used horimono in a box as the box logo instead of the WWII flag IMO. that would have been sick but oh well.

they should have used horimono in a box as the box logo instead of the WWII flag IMO. that would have been sick but oh well.

I just don't see what the issue is. It's obvious that the main source of funding is going to come directly from direct donations but I just can't see how generating more funding through these creative means is less helpful. 

It is less helpful if these sorts of promotions wind up competing with direct donations.  

By buying these products, people can feel as though they've completed their "obligation," that they've made their donation, done their good deed, and helped Japan.  If the only way to help was via direct donation, the process would be far more efficient.  Instead, we have people using the opportunity to promote their brands, do a little CSR / image buffing, and sell merchandise.  "Well, as long as I'm buying the Japan shirt, let's see what else is on the site."  It's good for business.

People need to think critically about this sort of thing.  I don't think it's right for companies to be able to use charity as this impenetrable shield that renders them invulnerable to criticism.  Just because $8.50 of your (Product) Red iPod goes to "the global fund" doesn't exempt Apple from the practices of its suppliers in China.  Underage girls are literally getting sick while polishing the chrome backs of iPhones and are subjected to humiliating strip searches in plain view of their coworkers before they leave each day - but let's not question that, because a portion of the proceeds not exceeding what you likely paid in sales tax will go "to charity."  

If you HAVE to buy a t-shirt just as a basic subsistence need, is it better to buy one that helps produce a social benefit?  Absolutely - and it's wonderful when companies, particularly social businesses, make that possible.  

I don't think anyone is well served, however, by placing blind faith in a charity promotion.  

If you have $50 you're willing to sacrifice to help the people of Japan, I think we should be considering how best to allocate those funds to provide the maximum benefit to those in need and thus maximize the value of our donation.  

You're not giving Japan a donation and getting a t-shirt for free.  You're buying a t-shirt with money you could be donating to Japan.  Whatever portion of the purchase price actually makes it there is the real donation.  

If you're buying the t-shirt to buy a t-shirt and had no interest in giving directly, fine, but if you're interested in donating then, at the very least, you should be concerned about the efficiency of your purchase. 

$7.50 shipped

That's a great deal for a t-shirt and a wristband.  It's not a great deal for Japan.  I'd be impressed if there's even $1 left for charity after the product cost is accounted for. 

I just don't see what the issue is. It's obvious that the main source of funding is going to come directly from direct donations but I just can't see how generating more funding through these creative means is less helpful. 

It is less helpful if these sorts of promotions wind up competing with direct donations.  

By buying these products, people can feel as though they've completed their "obligation," that they've made their donation, done their good deed, and helped Japan.  If the only way to help was via direct donation, the process would be far more efficient.  Instead, we have people using the opportunity to promote their brands, do a little CSR / image buffing, and sell merchandise.  "Well, as long as I'm buying the Japan shirt, let's see what else is on the site."  It's good for business.

People need to think critically about this sort of thing.  I don't think it's right for companies to be able to use charity as this impenetrable shield that renders them invulnerable to criticism.  Just because $8.50 of your (Product) Red iPod goes to "the global fund" doesn't exempt Apple from the practices of its suppliers in China.  Underage girls are literally getting sick while polishing the chrome backs of iPhones and are subjected to humiliating strip searches in plain view of their coworkers before they leave each day - but let's not question that, because a portion of the proceeds not exceeding what you likely paid in sales tax will go "to charity."  

If you HAVE to buy a t-shirt just as a basic subsistence need, is it better to buy one that helps produce a social benefit?  Absolutely - and it's wonderful when companies, particularly social businesses, make that possible.  

I don't think anyone is well served, however, by placing blind faith in a charity promotion.  

If you have $50 you're willing to sacrifice to help the people of Japan, I think we should be considering how best to allocate those funds to provide the maximum benefit to those in need and thus maximize the value of our donation.  

You're not giving Japan a donation and getting a t-shirt for free.  You're buying a t-shirt with money you could be donating to Japan.  Whatever portion of the purchase price actually makes it there is the real donation.  

If you're buying the t-shirt to buy a t-shirt and had no interest in giving directly, fine, but if you're interested in donating then, at the very least, you should be concerned about the efficiency of your purchase. 

$7.50 shipped

That's a great deal for a t-shirt and a wristband.  It's not a great deal for Japan.  I'd be impressed if there's even $1 left for charity after the product cost is accounted for. 

rather get a japan shirt from uniqlo etc supreme can keep that one

But rather not get a japan shirt to begin with

rather get a japan shirt from uniqlo etc supreme can keep that one

But rather not get a japan shirt to begin with

Can't you say NT did the same thing?
It's on a smaller scale but still, people received something from their donations...

Can't you say NT did the same thing?
It's on a smaller scale but still, people received something from their donations...

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Been to the store...employees are douchebags...will not support.

Umad?

THIS!

Ive always loved the simplicity of Supreme shirts and I dont think 36 dollars is bad for a print tee. But 100 dollars though? +#@@ all that noise
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom