Someone please explain to me why the Final Four is such a big deal?

Originally Posted by TonyReali

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Originally Posted by abutta13

to be one of the four teams remaining in a 64 team tournament is impressive and deserves recognition. especially for teams that no one thought would get that far.
That's not the issue that is being debated. It is a big accomplishment, but the OP wanted to know why the teams themselves set their ultimate goal as a Final Four berth rather than a national championship.
The goal is to win the damn championship. What teams are you talking about?
I agree. I don't know why people are saying that teams set their ultimate goal as the Final 4. The goal is to win it all.

I consider the Final as the entire weekend. Sat-Mon. The final 4 and the National Championship. I don't view them as separate events.

Also keep in mind that Final 4 Weekend is a conference where many coaches mix and mingle with each and a lot of jobs are open/made available during this time.

So please stop saying coaches aim for the final 4. They aim to win it all. The final 4 is just the marketing side of it all.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

It's because the NCAA tournament is broken down by weekends and the Final 4 is the last weekend of it all and it's easier to market that way.

If they had the semifinal round separate from the National Championship and made them a week apart then I guarantee that the NC game would get marketed more. It's just easier to group everything as one and brand it as one event, especially since the semi's and the final happen two days apart.
Bingo for the Dukie.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by TonyReali

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Originally Posted by abutta13

to be one of the four teams remaining in a 64 team tournament is impressive and deserves recognition. especially for teams that no one thought would get that far.
That's not the issue that is being debated. It is a big accomplishment, but the OP wanted to know why the teams themselves set their ultimate goal as a Final Four berth rather than a national championship.
The goal is to win the damn championship. What teams are you talking about?
I agree. I don't know why people are saying that teams set their ultimate goal as the Final 4. The goal is to win it all.

I consider the Final as the entire weekend. Sat-Mon. The final 4 and the National Championship. I don't view them as separate events.

Also keep in mind that Final 4 Weekend is a conference where many coaches mix and mingle with each and a lot of jobs are open/made available during this time.

So please stop saying coaches aim for the final 4. They aim to win it all. The final 4 is just the marketing side of it all.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

It's because the NCAA tournament is broken down by weekends and the Final 4 is the last weekend of it all and it's easier to market that way.

If they had the semifinal round separate from the National Championship and made them a week apart then I guarantee that the NC game would get marketed more. It's just easier to group everything as one and brand it as one event, especially since the semi's and the final happen two days apart.
Bingo for the Dukie.
pimp.gif

Oh word? Coaches and players don't make the Final Four their goal?
Final Four remains Purdue goal

Painter is totally focused on first foe - Saint Peter's.

[table][tr][td] 
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td] 
[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

By Pete DiPrimio
of The News-Sentinel
A

WEST LAFAYETTE — Purdue's E'Twaun Moore refuses to settle. At the start of the season he put the objective as Final Four or bust.

Nothing has changed.

“It's either the Final Four or we didn't achieve our goals and weren't as successful as we wanted to be,

Oh word? Coaches and players don't make the Final Four their goal?
Final Four remains Purdue goal

Painter is totally focused on first foe - Saint Peter's.

[table][tr][td] 
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td] 
[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

By Pete DiPrimio
of The News-Sentinel
A

WEST LAFAYETTE — Purdue's E'Twaun Moore refuses to settle. At the start of the season he put the objective as Final Four or bust.

Nothing has changed.

“It's either the Final Four or we didn't achieve our goals and weren't as successful as we wanted to be,

@Purdue: They were simply saying if they don't make the Final 4 then their season is a failure. I didn't read them saying their goal is the JUST make it to the Final 4. Them saying Final 4 or bust is not saying the Final 4 is our goal. I view those as two different statements.

@ BYU: "We don't talk about it, but I think our guys know," Rose said. "The Final Four is in Houston and that's the goal of every team. To me that is saying they want to make it to the final weekend in Houston. That isn't saying the Final Four is their goal.

@GTown: Get to the final four. That isn't saying it is the END goal. That is just part of the end goal. For him to say everyone's goal is to make it to the final four should let you know that they aren't just talking about getting there. They are simply saying they WANT to get there.

The confusion between what I am saying and what you are saying is it.

Me: No coach is JUST aiming to make the Final 4.
You: Presenting articles where coaches are saying that they want to make the final four. (word goal used loosely).

@Purdue: They were simply saying if they don't make the Final 4 then their season is a failure. I didn't read them saying their goal is the JUST make it to the Final 4. Them saying Final 4 or bust is not saying the Final 4 is our goal. I view those as two different statements.

@ BYU: "We don't talk about it, but I think our guys know," Rose said. "The Final Four is in Houston and that's the goal of every team. To me that is saying they want to make it to the final weekend in Houston. That isn't saying the Final Four is their goal.

@GTown: Get to the final four. That isn't saying it is the END goal. That is just part of the end goal. For him to say everyone's goal is to make it to the final four should let you know that they aren't just talking about getting there. They are simply saying they WANT to get there.

The confusion between what I am saying and what you are saying is it.

Me: No coach is JUST aiming to make the Final 4.
You: Presenting articles where coaches are saying that they want to make the final four. (word goal used loosely).

I presented articles where they explicitly stated what their goal was, arguing that they mean anything else is simply speculation.

I presented articles where they explicitly stated what their goal was, arguing that they mean anything else is simply speculation.

Originally Posted by rawjs

It's b/c "The Final 4" is a nice little marketing catchphrase, combined with fact that the arena where it takes place is also the location of the championship game so in essence, the championship begins when the Final 4 begins

Bingo

Originally Posted by rawjs

It's b/c "The Final 4" is a nice little marketing catchphrase, combined with fact that the arena where it takes place is also the location of the championship game so in essence, the championship begins when the Final 4 begins

Bingo

that's like teams aiming to only make the conference finals in the NBA or something. I know teams in the NBA aim to win the championship whether they fail or not.

I've never understood it either.

Making it to the elite 8 doesn't seem to get much respect either. I mean that's one win away from the final four.

Ehh just me though

that's like teams aiming to only make the conference finals in the NBA or something. I know teams in the NBA aim to win the championship whether they fail or not.

I've never understood it either.

Making it to the elite 8 doesn't seem to get much respect either. I mean that's one win away from the final four.

Ehh just me though

money. but i'm sure it means a lot less to say, kentucky, than it does VCU if they manage to win. no one ever thinks a 10-11 is going to make it that far.

money. but i'm sure it means a lot less to say, kentucky, than it does VCU if they manage to win. no one ever thinks a 10-11 is going to make it that far.

It's called smart marketing. Instead of just 1 big national championship game, they've now added prestige to making it to the final four. And instead of seeds 1 - 64 (or 68 now), we've got FOUR #1 seeds! I dunno about you but it works.

It's called smart marketing. Instead of just 1 big national championship game, they've now added prestige to making it to the final four. And instead of seeds 1 - 64 (or 68 now), we've got FOUR #1 seeds! I dunno about you but it works.

I am guessing that there is a lot of $$$$$ involved for networks, certain corporations, officials, and universities if they get there. I don't think it is the games themselves cause the level of play is kinda trash. 

I am guessing that there is a lot of $$$$$ involved for networks, certain corporations, officials, and universities if they get there. I don't think it is the games themselves cause the level of play is kinda trash. 

Back
Top Bottom