SPUMC Thread - RIP STAN LEE - ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE out now

HOW WAS SPIDERMAN:HOMECOMING?

• It's a Masterpiece!!! (kiLLerisLame was right)

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • Not the Best but Top 5 Easily (like Lebron)

Votes: 44 25.1%
  • Above Average, Maybe Top 10 (butF4notBYKE)

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • Average (like Duff and Milana and M5s)

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • Terrible (this will get 1 vote and it's from AmeL w/ another L)

Votes: 8 4.6%

• Total voters
I mean spiderman sells regardless as we’ve seen with the amazing spiderman movies and now venom. It isn’t that Sony doesn’t need Disney, it’s that Sony thinks it doesn’t need Disney and so fAr they are proving themselves right. The current spiderman deal with Disney only extends for the next avengers and Far from Home. Who’s to say after that Sony doesn’t take their ball back and make spiderman vs venom vs carnage in 2021

If Sony really felt like that they wouldn't have made a deal with Marvel in the first place.

If Sony pushes too hard Marvel will just let the deal expire.

If Sony really felt like that they wouldn't have made a deal with Marvel in the first place.

If Sony pushes too hard Marvel will just let the deal expire.
That was just free money and a way to Backdoor themselves into setting up their own spiderman cinematic universe. Venom seals the deal that they aren’t going to continue the partnership after Homecoming 2

The deal is basically done after next summer anyway

That was just free money and a way to Backdoor themselves into setting up their own spiderman cinematic universe. Venom seals the deal that they aren’t going to continue the partnership after Homecoming 2

The deal is basically done after next summer anyway

That's just fine. Let Sony self destruct themselves. They deserve it lol.

After a couple of bad Spidey movies they'll remember why they had Marvel reboot Spidey for them a 3rd time.

Last edited:
The way they had the venom be sperate from Eddie makes no sense either. Venom IS Eddie Brock. The suit isn’t venom.

Last edited:
It wasn't really wise to plan the Venom movie to begin with lol

Venom should not have jumped to an anti hero in his movie right away

He should've been a villain in a movie produced by marvel studios
Marvel Studios aint making villain movies amd dont got time to make another movie they won't profit off of.

Hard to call what Venom was in this an anti-hero. Brock only decided on that ideology at the end.
Is this better than the first mortal kombat
Yeah.
It definitely is and don’t be shocked if eventually Sony starts to play hardball with Disney to get Tom Holland to cross over into the universe
Quite frankly i don't think Marvel has any direct day so on that.

Probably cant do the exact MCU Spidey but I'm sure they can make Tom Holland portray their version of Spider-Man to do cameos or w/e.
They way they had the venom be sperate from Eddie makes no sense either. Venom IS Eddie Brock. The suit isn’t venom.
Not in this version.

Given theybdont have the Spider-Man based origin this isna completely diffrrent Venom. The symbiotes have names before bonding, occassionally use "I" when referring to themselves, etc.
That's just fine. Let Sony self destruct themselves. They deserve it lol.

After a couple of bad Spidey movies they'll remember why they had Marvel reboot Spidey for them a 3rd time.
They'll just reboot again. If it fails Sony will fire whoever is in charge and reboot again.

Sony is gonna have to fall on hard times and a specific set of circumstances like Fox before they sell their entertainment division.

Marvel Studios aint making villain movies amd dont got time to make another movie they won't profit off of.

I don't want Marvel to make villain movies. I mean I would've wanted Venom to be a villain in a Spidey movie. Like let's say, for argument's sake, Sony extends their deal with Marvel, and Marvel agrees to make two more Spidey movies (or something like that) with Holland as the protagonist for Sony after Far from Home. It would've been nice for Marvel to introduce Venom as a villain in one of those movies. I would've liked to have seen Marvel's interpretation of Venom. But Sony took that choice away by making this Venom solo movie.

It's all kind of moot anyway...Sony is looking crazy and an extension with Marvel might just fall apart.

VENOM Chomps Down On Jaw-Dropping $80 Million Opening Weekend; Earns $205.2M Worldwide

While critics may not have taken a liking to Sony Pictures' latest Marvel superhero offering, Venom, the audience reception has unexpectedly been exceedingly positive, with the film receiving praise from theatergoers on several popular review aggregator sites, including IMDb (7.1/10), Fandango (4.5/5), Rotten Tomatoes (89%), Metacritic (6.3/10), Blu-ray.com (7.31/10), and CinemaScore (B+).

These reactions are already paying major dividends for the Ruben Fleisher-directed film at the domestic box office as it is now on its way to a record-breaking $80 million debut, shattering the initial $55 million to $65 million projections from last week. Venom now holds sole possession of the record for the largest October opening ever, topping Warner Bros.' Gravity ($55.7M), and is also the seventh-biggest opener of 2018, topping Marvel's Ant-Man and the Wasp ($75.8M).

Internationally, the Tom Hardy-starrer has devoured another $125.2 million, bringing its global cume to approximately $205.2 million, which is a pretty exceptional start for a film that reportedly carried a relatively modest $100 million to $116 million production budget. The film's Chinese release date has yet-to-be-announced, but considering that the China-based Tencent covered around a third of the production cost, expect the date to be announced in the not-so-distant future.
it earned this much
cause folks were hoping it would be good
and took that leap to see it
sony is tripping
if they make a sequel
now folks know it wasnt so good
and wont make that leap to see the sequel

It's amazing how many people don't know that this movie isn't made by Marvel Studios. Had to let a coworker know just now. He thought Venom was in the same world as the Avengers.

It wasn't the best but it wasn't the worst. It had a lot of potential if the would've stuck with one theme. I thinking making it a rated r horror movie would've been dope. Honestly they could've made that Life movie the prequel and that would've worked so well. Actually...Life...Life Foundation...t

I don't want Marvel to make villain movies. I mean I would've wanted Venom to be a villain in a Spidey movie. Like let's say, for argument's sake, Sony extends their deal with Marvel, and Marvel agrees to make two more Spidey movies (or something like that) with Holland as the protagonist for Sony after Far from Home. It would've been nice for Marvel to introduce Venom as a villain in one of those movies. I would've liked to have seen Marvel's interpretation of Venom. But Sony took that choice away by making this Venom solo movie.

It's all kind of moot anyway...Sony is looking crazy and an extension with Marvel might just fall apart.
Doubt Sony would do that. Look at how much money they made off a Venom solo.

You ignoring business for what you would want.

Sony giving the MCU to use in a Spidey movie isn't necessarily makimg them more money that way.

Technically if they wanted they could still lend them Venom and just have two separate inivsrses whike continuing to lie about how they might be connected.

Last edited:
a betta director is gonna clean up da sequel...da stuff i aint like wasn't da movie itself persay, it was
mainly pacing & weak supporting cast. blue printing a clear purpose will make this betta.
It's amazing how many people don't know that this movie isn't made by Marvel Studios. Had to let a coworker know just now. He thought Venom was in the same world as the Avengers.
same way da general population rocks team Jumpmans thinking they're Jordans...that Marvel logo holds
weight, whether its X-men, spiderman, or MCU.

da fact that it already made more than da Ant-man sequel & Doc Strange gives Sony a longer leash.

Sony is gonna have to fall on hard times and a specific set of circumstances like Fox before they sell their entertainment division.

There's been rumors of Sony looking to sell their film division, but they've denied those rumors though.

Transformers was good to start out with, then the movies kept getting worse and the general audience was kinda slow to catch on. The last transformers movie didn't make as much money as it used to.

There's been rumors of Sony looking to sell their film division, but they've denied those rumors though.
A quick google got me this

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/20/business/media/sony-movie-chairman-rothman.html

Sony Extends Colorful Movie Chairman’s Reign, Citing Turnaround
21sony-01-print-articleLarge.jpg

Sony Pictures Entertainment confirmed that it had signed Thomas Rothman, the chairman of its Motion Picture Group, to a new multiyear contract.CreditCreditDan Steinberg/Invision for Sony Pictures, via Associated Press Images

By Brooks Barnes

• Sept. 20, 2018
LOS ANGELES — He’s going to be fired any minute. So insisted Hollywood gossipmongers for much of last year about Thomas E. Rothman, the larger-than-life chairman of Sony’s Motion Picture Group.

How times have changed.

Sony Pictures Entertainment has signed Mr. Rothman, 63, to a new multiyear contract that will keep him running the company’s movie divisions, which include Columbia Pictures and TriStar, into the next decade. The renewal was not announced by the studio, but word of the new contract spread and was confirmed by Sony on Thursday.

“The team is really hitting its stride under Tom’s leadership and guidance, and we look forward to further progress and success in the years to come,” Tony Vinciquerra, chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment, said in a statement.

When Mr. Rothman took over the company’s movie division in 2015, many in Hollywood did not see much of a future for Sony in the film business. The studio was reeling from years of losses and a devastating cyberattack. The entire industry had shifted toward all-audience “tent pole” films, and Sony, which was bereft of franchises, seemed incapable of delivering them on a consistent basis, if at all.

Subscribe to The Times

Even so, Sony appears poised for further success. A “Jumanji” sequel has been scheduled for next year, when Sony will also deliver the follow-up to “Spider-Man: Homecoming” and try to reboot the studio’s “Men in Black” and “Charlie’s Angels” franchises. Next summer, Sony will also release Quentin Tarantino’s much-anticipated “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” which is set in 1969 and stars Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio.

In the coming weeks, Sony will roll out “Venom,” a dark superhero movie, and the animated “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.” Both are stirring substantial advance interest from ticket buyers, according to box office analysts.

“We feel pretty great about how far we have come, but know that there is still more to do,” Mr. Rothman said in a statement. He thanked Mr. Vinciquerra and “Yoshida-san,” referring to Kenichiro Yoshida, chief executive of Sony Corporation, and added, “This job is a privilege.”

Forget a guaranteed Venom sequel. This is basically the first movie in their spin-off universe. This pretty much makes sure Sony is going to do one of those other movies; Black Cat, Morbius, Nightwatch, etc.

And Sony is just keep doing low budgets. **** might pan out for the short term.

And Sony is just keep doing low budgets. **** might pan out for the short term.

This is what I'm afraid of.

If Sony is going to do this they should at least do movies with heroes as the protagonist. Spiderman 2099, Silk, Ghost Spider. F this making villains into protagonists.

I don't care about Kraven, or Morbius, or Venom if they're not the villain of a Spider-Man movie. They are only meant to be the villain that Spider-Man fights.

My only hope is that Into the Spider Verse makes so much money that Sony just decides to focus on an animated universe.

Back
Top Bottom