Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Glad to see you still have your flair for the dramatic, lamekilla. It's hardly "all bad". He was in charge of bringing back the biggest movie franchise in cinema history... and he did a pretty good job. Was TFA an original and huge leap forward in the franchise? No, but was it pretty much exactly what we needed as the 1st movie in the new trilogy? Yeah, pretty much. Oh no, Lost fans who are mad that their favorite show was actually pretty lame are sending "death threats".. something tells me that the approach to ending an overrated TV show will be different than ending STAR WARS.

I'm glad we can be critical and not just accept the new movies as is, simply because Lucas is gone, but damn.. TFA was really good. Yeah, it was pretty much A New Hope, but the story was fine, the acting was strong, the action was great, and the characters brought you in to the universe. Am I far more excited for the 2nd one because Rian Johnson is directing and I'm hoping and expecting a darker and more serious movie just like Empire? Yeah, absolutely. But that won't make TFA any worse in retrospect. JJ Abrams is a really capable director, especially at handling properties like this.

I do see an issue with Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm and their approach to handling directors. Maybe they need to ask Marvel (not that they're perfect) for some advice in vetting and making sure their directors are willing to buy into their vision and be more manageable than the last directors they've let go. I am glad that she and Lucasfilm are being firm and making decisions if they feel the director isn't in the best interest of the franchise, but two firings with only five movies in total so far, that's a bit of a concern.

Glad to see you still have your flair for the dramatic, lamekilla. It's hardly "all bad". He was in charge of bringing back the biggest movie franchise in cinema history... and he did a pretty good job. Was TFA an original and huge leap forward in the franchise? No, but was it pretty much exactly what we needed as the 1st movie in the new trilogy? Yeah, pretty much. Oh no, Lost fans who are mad that their favorite show was actually pretty lame are sending "death threats".. something tells me that the approach to ending an overrated TV show will be different than ending STAR WARS.

I'm glad we can be critical and not just accept the new movies as is, simply because Lucas is gone, but damn.. TFA was really good. Yeah, it was pretty much A New Hope, but the story was fine, the acting was strong, the action was great, and the characters brought you in to the universe. Am I far more excited for the 2nd one because Rian Johnson is directing and I'm hoping and expecting a darker and more serious movie just like Empire? Yeah, absolutely. But that won't make TFA any worse in retrospect. JJ Abrams is a really capable director, especially at handling properties like this.

I do see an issue with Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm and their approach to handling directors. Maybe they need to ask Marvel (not that they're perfect) for some advice in vetting and making sure their directors are willing to buy into their vision and be more manageable than the last directors they've let go. I am glad that she and Lucasfilm are being firm and making decisions if they feel the director isn't in the best interest of the franchise, but two firings with only five movies in total so far, that's a bit of a concern.

JJ is a competent director but he has no vision. He's a mimic that takes pieces from here and there and adds a mystery box to it. I love TFA but I'm not blind to it's warranted criticisms and it's classic JJ. The thing is that he seems to have a lot of pull with Kennedy being that he's close with Spielberg and by affiliation Lucas so he gets to tell the story that he wants. On top of that Chris Terrio is helping him write the script. So we have the guy who gave us Starkiller base and the guy who gave us Martha wrapping up this trilogy? It's a tough pill to swallow because I chose to be so invested in these characters and the pay off I'm looking for may not even be answered. The only thing we can do is give JJ another chance but man this hurts

This is not funny C CP1708 let me hurt in peace!

It's gonna be fine man. You're worryin over stuff that doesn't need to be worried about. JJ, KK, Disney, Rian, they aren't gonna fail. They will do just fine and make everyone proud, unlike the prequels with one person in charge of everything. This won't be that.

Just keep prayin Rey is Luke's or you're really gonna be a mess. :lol:

It's gonna be fine man. You're worryin over stuff that doesn't need to be worried about. JJ, KK, Disney, Rian, they aren't gonna fail. They will do just fine and make everyone proud, unlike the prequels with one person in charge of everything. This won't be that.

Just keep prayin Rey is Luke's or you're really gonna be a mess. :lol:

KK has been under the eye of scrutiny since the Lord and Miller firing. The CT firing just made things that much bigger and then you start taking the Gareth Edwards thing into consideration and it just doesn't sound like things are going smooth at Lucasfilms. I have immense faith in TLJ though and with JJ having a template to work with where he isn't trying to reintroduce Star Wars to the general audiences there are some pros. He also did great with introducing us with new characters and the final scene with the Luke and Rey staredown which I loved was his idea so eh.

JJ being a mimic though, I'm certain the phrase "I am a Jedi, like my father before me" will be uttered in episode XI :nthat:

:lol: No one gives a **** about the Lord and Miller firing, gimme a break. Kennedy is on watch, not because of a bunch of meh directors, but because she runs THE BIGGEST MOVIE FRANCHISE IN HISTORY, so yeah, people will be watching. Don't mean she's wrong.

Colin is nothing to the franchise, he's just a guy. One film, one movie. His vision may not meet up with what the studio and Kathleen want FOR THE FRANCHISE. They are moving multiple pieces, not just one piece Colin was gonna direct. So they don't have to bend to his whims for his one film, they have to bend the directors to their whims. The big(ger) picture.

So far, they've released 2 films. Almost 3.2 BILLION, in two films. We all know The Last Jedi is gonna reach close to 2 billion if not more. They'll release 3 films, and clear almost 5.5 billion. I mean........ :lol:
And both releases so far have been praised. And if TLJ is praised as well, and the only "blemish" we could see is the Han Solo film may or may not be received all that well, I'm sure KK and Disney gonna be just fine. You're worried over nothin.

^^^ Jedi Council pretty much sums up my feelings

JJ really left a bad taste in my mouth after rebooting star trek and going to those great lengths to create an alternate timeline and universe to bring us Khan in the 2nd one and wasting Cumberbatch.
like bro what was the point if you were just going to just rehash everything we've already known. You created your own lane to just make it like everything else.

based of the fact episode 8 called TLJ
JJ already like
"I got it Episode 9: Reintroduction of the Jedi"

Last edited:
^^^ Jedi Council pretty much sums up my feelings

JJ really left a bad taste in my mouth after rebooting star trek and going to those great lengths to create an alternate timeline and universe to bring us Khan in the 2nd one and wasting Cumberbatch.
like bro what was the point if you were just going to just rehash everything we've already known. You created your own lane to just make it like everything else.

based of the fact episode 8 called TLJ
JJ already like
"I got it Episode 9: Reintroduction of the Jedi"
Son is a rehash master.

I really didn't mind the first Trek (actually liked it) but Into Darkness :smh: So bogus.

At that point I took a long look at his resume and realized he's done nothing I've loved or would call a favorite. He seems to be more well known for being a part of the early creative process and being a producer than a great director or writer. Good publicity and hyped has made his name.

Last edited:
He's great at imagining new ideas but he never has the passion to carry it out. He gets bored with them. It's seems as though LF and shareholders are really happy with TLJ and rumblings are Rian was offered Episode IX before JJ so that's a great sign for TLJ and I hope JJ takes the well received template along with the criticisms of TFA as a chip on his shoulder for this finale. He doesn't necessarily have to do nearly as much heavy lifting as Rian did or even he himself had to do in TFA but sticking the landing isn't a walk in the park. He has to fight the urge of making the film he wants and make a film for the fans

I like JJ Abrams

Wee-Bey-Shrug.gif

Well I mean yeah, as a person. He seems cool and friwndly enough.

But like him as what else though? It really hit me when Star Trek came out cuz I don't think of him me as a director but the remake satisfied me. Then I said I really don't think of as a writer either (and I got higher standards in that category anyway).

If anything, its I liked his tv work (Felicity, Alias, etc.)

So at that point in had to Google dude and really look at his filmography. Cuz when I asked anyone what their fav movie was by him, they say Cloverfield. He didn't direct or write that :lol: (dont even get me started on that for no reason doc-shaky cam format so many think is cool and dynamic :stoneface: )

Dude just seems to be more in the mix than the main guy spearheading anything as THE guy. Like a 90s Puff Daddy.

Back
Top Bottom